• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best Manga Artists in your Opinion? (post Pictures!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a big soft spot for Harold Sakuishi. Beck is probably my all time favorite manga.

beckhead.png

oasis.jpg

Masakazu Katsura is another old favorite of mine. I probably won't google him at work though just in case.

I%22s_volume_1.jpg

ma maaaaan

I love beck, such a great manga (and anime too)

elyetis

I have a big soft spot for Harold Sakuishi. Beck is probably my all time favorite manga.
I love beck ( though mostly the anime and it's godly ost ), and currently enjoy Rin...But even now I still have a hard time with how big he like to make mouth to exaggerate facial expression.

Yoshikawa Yasuhiko.

Gundam the origin is a masterpiece

I bunch of good artist already chosen and the beast artist Takehiko Inoue, Yoshikawa Yasuhiko, Makoto Yukimura and Kentaro Miura is in already a ton of posts so

Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro
Spoilers ;)

This series is weekly and the dude takes his time with his art

Don't you guys mean Yoshikazu Yasuhiko?

Oh! great is a secret favourite of mine...

RgKuTcq.jpg

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
People who say Murata is the best need to see Shinichi Sakamoto because he completely outclasses Murata.

The detail is there but he's essentially drawing nothing. There's a sufficient lack of things present in these pictures.

Also I missed Daisuke Igarashi. A very under appreciated artist.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I really need to start reading manga, I just don't know where to start. The only one I've read in the past 8 years is Jackin Master Kurosawa.

well it a Manwha: The Breaker

hthe_breaker_nw192_022.jpg

Tenjo Tenge

df3146df771d80_full.jpg

Hajime no ippo

j938.15.jpg

would go on but I'd take up a whole damn page

EDIT: Also the manga for Battle Royal has some of the best drawing I've ever seen in a manga, would post of pic put the good ones are either gory or highly sexual

Daingurse

Healthy/motivated Togashi is one of the best manga artists out there;

I agree, I think he's great when he's motivated/well. He honestly has some of the most striking transformations panels.

My favorite panel of his (Late Hunter x Hunter spoilers, don't click if you care): https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d1/71/f1/d171f1d83a7cbf0665b204d25871e945.jpg

That shit was burned into my mind for weeks, couldn't stop thinking about that panel. Just thought it was badass.

Ninjimbo

A lot of the greats have already been covered. Good tastes all up in this place.

One guy who is getting there for me is the author of Soul Eater, Atsushi Okubo. I can't post any images because I'm on my phone, but his art has greatly improved. Some of the final chapters of Soul Eater looked absolutely spectacular in some pages. His new manga is carrying that forward. I really dig his style.

B.O.O.M

Some truly amazing work mentioned in this thread :D Good job Gaf!

Here's an artist whose comic (it's Korean) that is really really growing on me. Love the art! great story telling too.

Hellper by SAKK

375720141262.jpg

tumblr_nmxwslQ2SX1u34m9qo1_1280.jpg

008.jpg

Ok so this one is I'm a bit biased. I love her work so much. Again great art with fantastic storytelling

Hiromu Arakawa!

Arslan-Senki-tomes-manga.jpg

Also Kouto Hirano baby!

hellsing-318000.jpg

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I don't really know in general who i would say was the absolute best in terms of drawing for scale.

But i do know that Daisuke Moriyama is probably my absolute favorite artist when it comes to drawing facial close up expressions.

balgajo

Actually, I change my mind. Nothing is better than Attack on Titan. The others just can't compete with a talented artist like that.

Joke post but I have to admit that the way he represents the grandiosity of the walls is awesome, with some amazing angles. I really feel it on those scenes.

Character design wise, I really love Kentaro Yabuki, who did Black Cat and To-Love-Ru. I'd trust him with drawing females any day.

I thought Hiroya Oku's character is also CGI?
I basically drew over a sort of poser application?

havent seen that

edit: just looked it up

Hiroya Oku draws up a rough draft known as the "name".[1]
His assistants create 3-D models on the computer based on the sketches.
He then uses that as a backdrop to draw the actual art on top of.
Once all the character art is penned, it is scanned into the computer. This caused the lines to thicken and mess up the balance of edges and contrast, so the 3-D computer created backgrounds are reduced to simple lines.
Character and background art is complete, and tone is added.
Then the sound effects and text bubbles are added.
The image is printed out and they discuss the finishing touches.

Ushay

One Piece - Oda
Berserk - Muira
Onepunch Man - Murata

These were the standouts for me. Just brilliant artists on another level.

Droplet

A lot of my favorite manga titles and their artists are already mentioned so I'll go with Makoto Yukimura. I love Vinland Saga.

Come on guys, only one mention of Daisuke Igarashi so far? Most mangaka out there are just trying to make pretty looking pictures, he tries to make works of art.

I have a lot of favorites, but I think my two furthest apart on the spectrum in terms of simple vs. detailed are Natsume Ono:

These are my favorites, but just to go for something a little different, Tsukiji Nao. Her works are mostly on the erotic (but not entirely NSFW) side, but her subject matter aside she certainly has an eye for detail and composition:

Lot of my favorites have already been posted.

This hear is one my favorite "badass" panels, Kubo was on POINT with this whole fight, shame the rest of Bleach is terrible.

Masasumi Kakizaki, from the horror manga Hideout, the whole manga has excellent art but this panel in particular hit me because it felt like it had so much presence, like I could feel the atmosphere from this place

neoanarch

Tomi Akihito

Toyoda Tetsuya

Mishima Eriko

Here are some lesser known artist that I absolutely love. Because their art is so expressive the panels just flow. The characters have personality and infividuality that just pops from the pages. Sometimes I think people mistake big bombastic spreads as a mark of talent. I'd rather look for great layouts and panel progression.

Timbuktu

Inoue is still my favorite for more than twenty years. I loved how much his style matured and progress through Slam Dunk. I enjoy how grounded his works are in a way that Takahata and Shinkai can be with anime and it's all about the framing details and motion more coherently than i've seen anywhere else.

With illustrations, i quite like the ink and wash style of Lee Chi Ching and quite enjoyed his Eagle Shooting Heroes adaptation.

Spirits-of-Martial-Arts-Butterboom.jpg

petran79

Banned
Battle Angel Alita by Yukito Kishiro

One of the most haunting designs I've read. Though the Last Order does not match the feel of the original. Too shonen oriented unfortunately

13959bd6da6a2c12fb8a888df5b0e79a.jpg

I was captivated from the first page by Mohiro Kitoh's design in Narutaru.
This cold look without feelings even while characters are suffering works much more effectively actually in producing heart wrenching moments. Combined with the weirdness factor, a manga I'll never forget

tumblr_lmhx7jvZR81qkai1do1_500.png

Finally, some one should translate this manga, even if it is just one volume. It was translated in Polish only. I love that 70s design.

59307.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom