• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the best pistols in videogames

Starfield

They know me as the Pistol machine. They know me from the neogaf threads they see. They know me from the games they play. They talk about my juandeags and they think for me aiming is so easy. I just go into a game and that's it. But my aim, it's comes from more than just a pistol. For me - pistol - it is about precision... This part people don't see. This part, it does not show up in Neogaf. When I sit down to one tap everything already is a part of me...

latest

the silenced pistol from the last of us online multiplayer was really sweet, extremely fast and didn't show up on the map, and who doesn't love the sound a silenced pistol makes

desert eagle: cod 4

loud and powerful, sure it had bad recoil but once i learned how to use it i loved that gun

Justinh

This is what came to mind (well, after CE pistol). It wasn't strong, but whenever we played Goldeneye it was Pistols/one hit kills anyways.

Third one in my brain was the M77 Paladin from Mass Effect 3. I like pistols in the Mass Effect games.
RSBZCto.png

anderedna

Obligatory nonsense customized pistol from Resonance of Fate. It is hard not to love the absurdity of it.
EJtGQor.jpg

Finally appeared on page 2. 4 barrels shotgun? How about 10 barrels handgun? Unfortunately customized gun didn't show up as the customized one in the combat otherwise it'll be freaking awesome.

Still waiting SEGA for similar game like this.

bathsalts

Killing Floor 2''s Deagle, I think CSGO is the only other game that captures the feeling of obscene stopping power. Look at them sexy heat stains on the barrel too.

maxresdefault.jpg

The flare gun in Blood, it's unique, hilarious and the game forces you to make use of it through out the game unlike most fps that shed the pistol as fast as they can.

rE2M5.png

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Also, in Max Payne 3 multiplayer

Max-Payne-3_15.jpg

The starter pistol, the PT92, is the best weapon in the game. Each carries a smooth 25 bullets per clip, they have a solid fire-rate, a reliable 2 to 3 shot kill at close range, pretty much no recoil, they're pinpoint accurate, retain effectiveness at a pretty decent range, and are super lightweight.

Fitting that the pistols are the best in a Max Payne multiplayer though.

You know what's up. Free-Aim servers and Bullet-Time (instead of Big Dog) for the real players. :)

If you want good pistol weapons, Bungie generally don't let you down.

The First Curse is also an excellent hand cannon. Aiming down sights boosts range,handling and movement speed. This is further increased after a precision kill. The first precision kill of your "mag" refills the "mag" also. In the right hands this weapon is devastating, wiping out crowds of low tier chuckleheads in seconds. It is is also well suited for sustained damage on a single target due to the perk Triple Tap, which refunds a single bullet if you land 3 rapid critical shots.

My favourite hand cannon from Destiny these days and a viable gun in all activities if you can handle it.

Not the best, but want to chuck an honourable mention to the Halo 5 pistol. Nothing particularly special about its design or feedback, but its handling and balancing have provided it a stellar risk-reward role in the sandbox. Winning a duel with that thing, or getting 4 consistent headshots for the perfect, is a huge part of what makes Halo 5 Arena so satisfying.

Right off each spawn, you have to make an important choice between AR and Magnum. Do you opt for the weapon with the faster ttk which demands higher skill in the Magnum, or the lower ttk but significantly easier to handly automatic weapon, which you can essentially spray and pray, in the AR?

maxresdefault.jpg

Oh damn, I forgot about the Phoenix. In a game where explosions are one-hit kills, having a pistol that can rapid fire explosions is pretty damn powerful, especially if you pick up a second one. If you want to lag out the N64 version, accept no substitutes.

Nerrel

I really liked the tac. 45 from BOII. It was a 2-shot kill at close range, and I'd often use it as a main weapon and still do well. It was still really shitty at range, but it was nice to take a step closer to being able to use a pistol as a primary in a modern game:

Even though the game itself was a total piece of shit, the USP 45 from the Conduit was also a damned great gun:
You could snipe across the map and fire faster and deal more damage than the machine guns in the game.

The custom Eagle from RE3 was really satisfying to mow down groups of zombies with. Pretty rapid fire and random zombie headshots made it way more fun to use than the default handgun:
giphy.gif

I've got to echo the Red 9 and DD44 Dostovei references too. There's something really fun about using a pistol in almost any game... the extra challenge of having to rapidly pull the trigger for each shot and aiming without zoom makes it really rewarding.

21XX

Banned
tumblr_nxwalsu28v1sc0vw9o1_1280.jpg

D.Va's pistol in Overwatch. Deceptively one of the best weapons in the game. No damage falloff, high rate of fire, high accuracy. Not many characters in the game can disrespect it. Also, very cute.

Came in to say this. I also love the reload sound.

Akronis

Killing Floor 2''s Deagle, I think CSGO is the only other game that captures the feeling of obscene stopping power. Look at them sexy heat stains on the barrel too.

maxresdefault.jpg

The flare gun in Blood, it's unique, hilarious and the game forces you to make use of it through out the game unlike most fps that shed the pistol as fast as they can.

rE2M5.png

this post speaks to me

Blood has such an amazing arsenal.

There are a lot of great VG Pistols, but lately for some reason I have fallen in love with revolver-types.
Black Mesa:
362890_20160711204623zosyl.png

There is something very satisfying about emptying the spent shell casings and hearing the click click click of the cylinder spin.

A while back I got to try a VR demo of Half-Life 2 with support for the Razer Hydra, a really neat, accurate motion controller.

Shooting the magnum with that was maybe one of my favorite experiences: You'd shoot by pulling the trigger, and you'd reload by unlocking the chamber, tilting it over to have it pop out, tilt it back to empty the casings, move your left hand to your right to insert new bullets, then quickly snap the gun back to ready the gun.

cakely

I doubt anyone else is going to mention it so I might as well - The Last Word from Destiny.

meNYZBj.jpg

It wrecked in multiplayer until they nerfed it.

That gets my vote. It's a really fun, really unique gun in PvP. It also has a couple of great extra animations ... the hammer fan and the finger spin when you switch weapons to pull it out.

Top Bottom