• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[?] The best Silent Hill...

Snowball

Banned
I'd like to play one of them since I've heard the story is amazing.
Considering:

Silent Hill
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams
Silent Hill 3
Silent Hill 4: the room

Which one is the best and why?
Possibly tell me the system too (PS2 or XBOX).

Thanks

Snowball

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I didn't play the first, but I would say from what I have played - 2 is the best.

I tried playing 1, but the graphics were such shit, I couldn't take it.

Silent Hill 2 Restless Dreams. It's got the extra Maria scenario. It's story also shames the other games in the series. Not that they have bad ones, its just SH2's is that good.

Silent Hill 2 Restless Dreams
Silent Hill 3
Silent Hill
Silent Hill 4

That's the order i'd rank them in.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
The first game has the most complicated story that leaves quite a lot to discuss, intentional or not. It also has the best atmosphere of all games (never played Silent Hill 4 though).

Silent Hill 2 has a better directed and sophisticated story though, but the game and horror aspects are weaker.

Still haven't got 4, the demo + impressions, turned me off. 1 or 2 is your best bet as both are excellent, although 1 is seriously dated in the graphics department, it still rocks in the creeping you out factor. Personally I prefer two slightly more. Restless Dream is just 2 with an added sidestory, separate from the main game. 3 is okay but you shouldn't play it without having played one first (it's a direct sequel) unlike 2 and 4 which are separate storywise.

Solid

In my opinion:

1. SH3
2. SH2
3. SH1
4. SH4 (hate this game, suckz!)

Silent Hill 2, PS2 vs Xbox? The Platinum/Greatest hits version got all the Xbox extras so go with the one you feel most comfortable with.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
1) Silent Hill 2 - Far and away my favorite. A brilliant experience.
2) Silent Hill - Being the first in the series, the impact was pretty intense.
3) Silent Hill 3 - Very solid game that would have exceeded SH1 if it weren't for a few issues
4) Silent Hill 4 - Very disappointing game that still had its moments.

Having experienced the original Silent Hill when it first came out w/o any hype and sans any expectations or notions of what the hell I was playing, it will always serve as the premier experience in the series for me.

SH1
SH2
SH3

SH4

Yep, just play them chronologically, because SH1 hasn't aged all that well, you'll probably end up enjoying SH2 most.

I never played this game, cuz it scares the shit outta me...

but I'll answer in behalf of my friend who played them all

Silent Hill 2, but 3 is the scariest of them all

evil ways

For some reason, Silent Hill 1 was the one I enjoyed and got the shit scared out of by the most. The radio static sound, the demon babies in the school, and the sad but scary incident with the nurse, it was all good.

silenttwn

Silent Hill. It's the most well made and has the best protagonist. Plus it has the thickest atmosphere out of them all.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
silenttwn said:
Silent Hill. It's the most well made and has the best protagonist. Plus it has the thickest atmosphere out of them all.

I think you mean Silent Hill 2...right?

beerbelly

Banned
I've only played 1, and 2 and now playing 3. So far I think 3 is the most twisted among them but I highly recommend number 2:Restless Dreams if you want good story. The story in Maria's mini game was so sad.

silenttwn said:
Silent Hill. It's the most well made
Well made? Ain't a mother fucker alive who could possibly understand the plot the first time through. Game has some of the worst plot revelations ever, or maybe just the fewest.

And as for best protagonist, there's no way it's Harry. James and Heather both were made into actual characters with personalities and flaws. Harry was just an archetype: Father Looks for Daughter.

Another vote for SH1. I love those wacko nurses and those skinless babies.

All the rest were huge disappointments to me, especially the combat. In SH1 I was able to beat on the enemies with the pickaxe with no problem, then in SH2 the melee got all messed up.

I have SH4 but havent even played it yet, I hear there's a Hot Shots sque Golf-esque swing meter or some such WTF

silenttwn

ArcadeStickMonk said:
Well made? Ain't a mother fucker alive who could possibly understand the plot the first time through. Game has some of the worst plot revelations ever, or maybe just the fewest.

And this is a bad thing... why? I find Silent Hill 1's story much more interesting because they never go into too much detail and everything is left mysterious. It remained vague and that's good because the detail would've killed it.... to see what I'm talking about look no further than SH3, which attempted to explain everything, including the events of Silent Hill 1, and it sucked ass.

ArcadeStickMonk said:
And as for best protagonist, there's no way it's Harry. James and Heather both were made into actual characters with personalities and flaws. Harry was just an archetype: Father Looks for Daughter.

James: Husband looks for wife. Heather: daughter seeks revenge. Yeah, you can simplify every protagonist like that. I thought Harry has as much personality and flaws as James or Heather. In fact, he is the most believable access character to the Silent Hill world out of any of them. He's the most ordinary. I can actually relate with him. I know people like him.
I think he has one huge flaw... that is, he's hard-headed in finding is daughter... so much that he becomes naive and is actually a pawn in Dahlia's game. His flaw has much more repercussions out of any of the flaws James or Heather has.

The only thing that's kind of gay about Silent Hill in general is that this is a series dealing with demonic forces... and every game ends with the hero killing the demon with a hunting rifle. WTF? It kind of downplays the demonic powers there just a wee bit.

Ceb

ArcadeStickMonk said:
SH1 is guilty of two of those three as well.

Yep. I actually find SH3 to be slightly better than SH1, btw, but those are the main issues I had with the game. I think the characters and presentation make up for those flaws though, even though I would have liked to see more of Douglas and Claudia.

Even though it's not my favorite, SH1, as the first 'experience' with the series, was amazing. At the time (spring 1999) there simply wasn't anything like it. Sure, it could aesthetically be passed off as 'Konami's RE clone' from early screenshots, but even the very first moments of this game seperate it by miles from RE.
SH1 is great to start, if you can get past the dated graphics.

SH2 is the stand-out game of the series, though. It has a 'Twilight Zone'-esque approach (having nothing to do with SH1 other than minor elements) and is very much a psychological character study- not just on the central character James, but on every character. While not as outright 'scary' as SH1, it's far more moody and depressing. To this day I'm still impressed by the graphics. Personally, I'd save this game for last. Never before have I felt so emotionally drained after finishing a game- and I consider that a good thing in the case of SH2. It's very powerful, albeit a bit slow to start.

SH3 is much more faithful to SH1. It's directly connected to SH1 and has a similar 'frantic fear' of the first one. It's more about scaring you (again, in dark imagery, creepy sounds, and bizarre & occassionally relentless creatures as opposed to the RE-method of 'scary'- cheap thrills and jump-out scares) than the creeping, emotional desperation of the second game. The graphics are excellent and the 'effects' are among the series (and PS2's) best. Some, like the 'alternate' Brookhaven Hospital, are literally jaw-dropping. Story-wise it's pretty good, with some nice, twisted additions, but following such a personal story like SH2, it definitely feels like step down. Great game. I'd play it after finishing SH1.

SH4 is kind of the black sheep of the series. Originally intended to be a completely seperate game based on traditional Japanese horror (the project was simply called 'Room 302'), early in production it was changed to be a Silent Hill... and it shows. Conceptually, I think this game is brilliant- but it definitely stands out next to it's previous 3 entries. The game is dreary and dream-like, dealing with some very interesting ideas, but, due to a complete shift in scope for the team and cut-off production time, the game doesn't really touch a lot of the potential that you can definitely see from the get-go. Gone are some of the basic aesthetics of SH- significant darkness, barely illuminated by a flashlight, the infamous radio, the lonely, foggy streets of Silent Hill. Even though SH4 has two fairly significant locations in Silent Hill, the bulk of the game takes place in a neighboring town of Asheville.
I think as an 'experiment' for Team Silent, the game is fantastic- and when you really dig into the story, the reason for the characters, and the creations of the antagonist, there is a very fascinating, sad story (granted you get the 21 Sacraments ending :D ). Again, there is still a pretty overwhelming feeling that they weren't given enough time with this game and a LOT of potential was untouched. I wonder how this game would have turned out if it would have remained the side-project 'Room 302'? I would play this third, almost as a set-up for SH2.

Also interesting to note, Team Silent was pretty much split between SH3 and SH4, since they were developed almost simultaniously (actually Imamura and Tsuboyama were in pre-production phase of 'Room 302' while SH3 was in full development, but that's just technicalities :) ). It makes me hope the team is once again whole, with (as it seems now) plenty of development time for the next gen. Silent Hill 5.

Welcome to the series of Silent Hill. It's really in a league of it's own in the game world.

James is a far deeper character than Harry. Jame's mistakes and secrets are ironic when set against his archetype of a searching husband. There are relatable reasons for why James does what he does, and believable, personal consequences that come from his actions.

It's not Harry's fault that Konami didn't bother to flesh him out more. The IP was brand new then and the teams spent more time with creating character in the 2 and 3, especially 2.

But calling Harry a better character than James? Or placing him at the same depth? There's just no evidence of that, they didn't spend the time.

silenttwn

ArcadeStickMonk said:
It's not Harry's fault that Konami didn't bother to flesh him out more. The IP was brand new then and the teams spent more time with creating character in the 2 and 3, especially 2.

I don't think that's the case actually. The people behind Silent Hill 1's story didn't make 2 or 3. So I think it was a creative choice, not a time issue. There was things held back because of time, like a playable Cybil Bennett and possibly another ending. Anyway, I don't really see how they could've fleshed him out more... more cutscenes? I liked the minimal number of cutscenes... I'm glad there's so few, it lets the game environment tell the story. I think Harry is perfectly fleshed out as is.

I would not say James is deeper. He's darker, but not deeper. James, and his background, definitely gets more screen time.

ArcadeStickMonk said:
But calling Harry a better character than James? Or placing him at the same depth? There's just no evidence of that, they didn't spend the time.
Comparing James and Harry is a bad idea. I haven't said Harry was flat out better, just my personal favorite. It's really apple and oranges if you compare the two... especially once you find out James' dark secrets. I think Harry and James are both better than Heather, though.

It was gay they killed Harry off in SH3 IMO. I was hoping for a much more substantial cameo than that.

Most of the SH2 team is the same as the original. The major difference is that Toyama left Konami and went to Sony (where he made Siren). He was replaced by Tsuboyama for the sequel. Pretty good replacement imo.

why did you have to mention SIREN? *vomit*

but seriously, I agree that the replacement was better. Although it does disturb me when Tsuboyama himself has been quoted as saying he wouldn't mind SH being more like 'Splinter Cell'... unless I just read a screwed up translation. :lol

BTW, Gozo Kitao (Exec. Producer of SH1-3) was absent from SH4. Anyone know if he is still around Konami... or is this another case of "well, since it wasn't INTENDED to be a SH in the first place" scenario?

Ceb

Solid said:
LIES!*

*it was kinda short though

Unless you rush through it (which you shouldn't do your first time through the game), the whole section from the scene with Claudia in the mall to the first encounter with Vincent is one looong stretch of monster killing. The lack of cutscenes means you slug through it without any real purpose other then to "get the hell out of here". Unless you REALLY clicked with Heather from the beginning (for me, she began to shine halfway through the game), you won't feel as "protective" about her as it's probably meant for you to feel. So yeah, that's pretty poorly balance pacing in my eyes.

Not to mention that after the mental clinic, you get this huge glut of mid-game cutscenes, and the way they culminate does - again - leave you with a lack of a "drive" to push forward.

I just thought that the "revenge" theme wasn't as engaging as the mystery of the other titles.

EDIT: Jolly, Gozo is still at Konami.

silenttwn said:
I haven't said Harry was flat out better, just my personal favorite.
Oh, you totally did.
silenttwn said:
Silent Hill. It's the most well made and has the best protagonist.

It's apples and apples. Harry and James are both the lead male characters in the same town in the same game series and they both hit shit with pipes. There's no problem comparing them.

Harry's a good guy, I like 'im. but Konami putting much more work into James' background, motives, and flaws yields a deeper, more dynamic character.

Some slack that I will cut Harry is that his game did not deal with his personal demons like James' did. SH2 is crafted from James'
dark past and guilt
, so it's obvious why more detail was needed with him.

God damn, I am really getting tired of spoiler tagging that one.

Silent Hill 1 is the best Silent Hill for me. With every sequel, the series were going down, which is normal, cause for me this game concept can't feed endless sequels like FFs etc.

SH - the best feeling and the best game from the series. The original.
SH2 - Really great game, great experience. The best SH alone.
SH3 - Probably the best character models to date. I enjoyed it only because of the story though
SH4 - Restless Dreams indeed. I cannot sleep and I couldnt belive how Konami killed the SH series. The game is terrible. It's just soundtrack disc for me with really great songs.

Nervous Hamster said:
SH4 - Restless Dreams indeed. I cannot sleep and I couldnt belive how Konami killed the SH series. The game is terrible. It's just soundtrack disc for me with really great songs.

Since it wasn't intended to be a SH in the first place, I don't think charging Konami with 'killing the series' is justified.

It's also no where NEAR as bad as you are making it out to be, definitely not enough to kill a series with a pretty avid fanbase. :)

Ceb

It might have done more potential harm to the series reputation among the "mainstream" though. I think making it a standalone title would've been more clever, less risky and overall better for the SH brand name (three games in the same generation is slightly overkill for a series like SH, IMO).

But I'm convinced that SH5 will be stunning enough to repair any possible damage done to the franchise. :D If they can get it out not too far from the launch of a next-gen console, it should be able to mimic SH2's success.

silenttwn

ArcadeStickMonk said:
Oh, you totally did.

In rounding up the protagonists, I'd say Harry was the best... my own opinion, though.

ArcadeStickMonk said:
It's apples and apples. Harry and James are both the lead male characters in the same town in the same game series and they both hit shit with pipes. There's no problem comparing them.

When you reduce them to that, yes you can compare them. But I thought we were analyzing the characters. We shouldn't be focusing on their role in the gameplay, but their tales. I'm pretty sure the characters who see monsters in Silent Hill all beat the shit out of things and go through the same things James and Harry experience, but the game is only told through one point of view. And the main reason Silent Hill 2 works so well as a sequel is because James is completely different than Harry...

ArcadeStickMonk said:
Harry's a good guy, I like 'im. but Konami putting much more work into James' background, motives, and flaws yields a deeper, more dynamic character. Some slack that I will cut Harry is that his game did not deal with his personal demons like James' did. SH2 is crafted from James'
dark past and guilt
, so it's obvious why more detail was needed with him.

I think all you're saying is that you found James much more interesting... so I really don't see the need for this debate. Harry has as well an established backstory as James, so I think the story creators spent an equal amount of time on creating them. It's true Harry's not as dynamic as James but he's a little bit more relatable in that sense. Harry is always the stranger in another world throughout the whole game and he knows really no more about it than when he first crashed his jeep.

Top Bottom