• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best woman character from cinema!

HighPoly

Banned
ELLEN RIPLEY, from Alien 1979.

As a human being without powers or anything, she gets stronger as the serie progresses...
She's not ungly but she's not sexy as hell... She had some emotional problems and then she overcame!!!

rr1N9UY.jpg
whYghyf.jpg
p1N5WOl.jpg

What's your favorite girl character??

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Ryan Reynolds Agree GIF by Welcome to Wrexham

Ripley all the way.
Alien and Aliens. Two of the greatest films ever, and Ripley is a massive part as to why.
She is also very flawed and very human but a badass character. Not a super perfect character who can do all right. She steps up and fights off big bad. Then steps back in after during aliens. So glad. They made only two films, yes sireee

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I won't repeat the obvious heavy hitters as we all know they're absolute bad asses and always have been but I'll mention a few that have always stuck in my head..

Bette Davis in 'Whatever happend to baby Jane'
KiXdOJH.jpg

Saw this when I was a kid way back when and seen it more than once but it always stuck in my head, a brilliant film of jealousy. Bette Davis knocked it out of the park in regards to being an evil pos. I heard they didn't get on while on set, if that's true it makes it even more believable. Don't be like my wife and hate films because they're black and white, this one's well worth a watch :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Geena Davis in 'The long kiss goodnight'
lrcb5PO.png

Mum forgets she's an absolute kick arse assassin, remembers, then becomes an absolute kick arse assassin. It's got a brilliant cast and some genuine comedy moments. Not to mention Davis is a total hotty. Well worth a watch.

Bridget fonda in 'Point of no return' (Also known as The Assassin)
8BtkXLU.jpg

Been a while since I've seen this but it was a cracking film. A street loser gets her death faked (She actually thinks she's being put to death, it's a tad grim) to become a tool of assassination. Well worth a watch too.

All in all mind you, you'll never beat Ripley..

W2Y56Wp.jpg

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Bette Davis knocked it out of the park in regards to being an evil pos. I heard they didn't get on while on set, if that's true it makes it even more believable.

Famously - they recently (although not as recently as I thought) made a mini-series drama about it which was really good.

winjer

Gold Member
If I’m not mistaken, none of the characters from original Alien were written with specific gender in mind. Maybe that’s why it works so well.

Yes, for the original Alien.
But for Aliens, Cameron made her ark with a strong sense of motherhood towards newt. And it works very well, as she is strong and caring. But she is not invulnerable, she learns how to use weapons with Hicks, and she grows as a character.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
But for Aliens, Cameron made her ark with a strong sense of motherhood towards newt. And it works very well, as she is strong and caring. But she is not invulnerable, she learns how to use weapons with Hicks, and she grows as a character.

Motherhood is and carrying for others is some of the most badass things a human can do but modern day woke writers don’t understand it.

Motherhood is and carrying for others is some of the most badass things a human can do but modern day woke writers don’t understand it.
It's still being shown now and then.

pgXNHkx.jpg

Like Winter's Bone and Jennifer Lawrence being an absolute hero without needing to shoot lasers or punch huge men across a room.
Jen not winning an Oscar because of 'look at how crazy I am' Natalie Portman's role in Black Swan is a scandal.

Last edited:

sono

Gold Member
Ellen Ripley from Alien is a good choice as a powerful heroine protecting her young

I would also go with Jodie Foster play Dr. Ellie Arroway from the film Contact. This is from a completely different standpoint ; just as an absorbing character growing through the film.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Oh shit October coming soon, which means another rewatch of Alien and Aliens. The first Alien is still in my eyes the best horror movie ever made. Nothing has surpassed it and I still watch it almost yearly.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Ripley was such a great character played very well by Weaver. I find it funny how such a thing is made about strong female characters this day and age but none of them come close to Ripley, who was written decades ago. She was way ahead of her time and still is.
Eh, the main reason she comes off so well initially is that all the characters in Alien were written without gender, so we didn't have to sit through some sort of ham fisted sexual harassment, "gurl power", or romantic subplot. The horror genre basis helps as well, "final girls" are almost always good characters.

But even by Aliens Ripley was becoming too much, and I don't feel like she gets enough blame for her rash decision to torch the queens hive which ultimately leads to the deaths of hicks and Newt, even her own.

Salz01

Sigourney Weaver is just awesome.

Fun fact, I just figured out, as I was writing her name here that I was saying her name wrong after all these years 😩

Trunx81

That’s what makes the extended cut so good: Her getting the information that her daughter died while she was in cryosleep. The affection towards Newt is so much stronger and more understandable. If I had to pick only one favorite movie of all time, Aliens would be it.

winjer

Gold Member
That’s what makes the extended cut so good: Her getting the information that her daughter died while she was in cryosleep. The affection towards Newt is so much stronger and more understandable. If I had to pick only one favorite movie of all time, Aliens would be it.

So true.
I'm glad that Sigourney and Cameron fought to have these scenes reinstated into the movie.

Meryl Streep
Maggie Smith
Judi Dench
Jodie Foster
Sigourney Weaver
Uma Thurman
Olivia Colman
Charlize Theron

Yes I misunderstood the question.😣

Last edited:
Top Bottom