• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ |OT| 200 More Hours of Bad Keeper Runs

zulux21

Man, I couldn't get to Mom's heart even 50% of the time pre-expansion. I dunno what to say man, send your feedback to Edmund, they seem pretty open to making whatever changes need to be made to fix the game.

the post above yours covers the major culprits.

the damn portals everywhere constantly spawning, and a poorly designed boss that show up way to soon.

those plus mimic chests.

also all the bad stuff in gold rooms is just annoying. doesn't hurt me it's just annoying.

once I get motivated I will likely look at what unlocks I care to earn, and then at the very least put this mod on

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=834705109&searchtext=

At least with the main problematic bosses being a magnitude frailer that should address one problem.

Next I hope they tackle the abundancy of rooms with portals, and give bosses with brimstone attacks more visible tells that don't last less than a second. Seriously, Krampus shouldn't be a guessing game of whether he'll shoot lasers in a + or x shape, not even the angels do that. Even the fucking Bloat is more fair in that regard. And the less said about the new final boss, the better.

Speaking of, fuck Bloat.

Regarding mimic chests, my only real issue with them is that their only tell shows up when you get close to them. I'd prefer something like an animation that lets you know something's off, like a hard-to-spot mark like tinted rocks or maybe it's off-color or even a different sound effect upon spawning. The way it is now, it's more caution than necessary for what is otherwise an absolutely benign item. And come on, I'd expect this from red chests rather than normal chests.

zulux21

At least with the main problematic bosses being a magnitude frailer that should address one problem.

Next I hope they tackle the abundancy of rooms with portals, and give bosses with brimstone attacks more visible tells that don't last less than a second. Seriously, Krampus shouldn't be a guessing game of whether he'll shoot lasers in a + or x shape, not even the angels do that. Even the fucking Bloat is more fair in that regard. And the less said about the new final boss, the better.

Speaking of, fuck Bloat.

Regarding mimic chests, my only real issue with them is that their only tell shows up when you get close to them. I'd prefer something like an animation that lets you know something's off, like a hard-to-spot mark like tinted rocks or maybe it's off-color or even a different sound effect upon spawning. The way it is now, it's more caution than necessary for what is otherwise an absolutely benign item. And come on, I'd expect this from red chests rather than normal chests.

heh I tried the april fools challenge and the first floor I got myself an alternate bloat. got in like 30 hits before I died and he was still at above half health :p (I got split shot so nothing amazing but i really don't think anything short of getting epic fetus or something on that tier would have saved me on the first floor)

Interesting thing just happened. I was donating to the blood donation machine in an arcade on Caves II, and while I was donating Lunch randomly spawned right next to it without any fanfare. Just poof, here's Lunch. I took it because free health but found it weird given nothing seemingly notable had occurred. Has this always been a thing, and has it happened to anyone else?

Here's a pic of the pedestal, sans Lunch:
RcI5ddj.png

inb4 I'm a scrub for using Azazel, I'm getting unlocks you silly~

AB+ is pretty mediocre on its own IMO, but it looks even worse compared to Antibirth which (a) came out two weeks before, (b) is loaded with interesting and creative content, and (c) is completely free.

AB+ is basically paying for mod support with a minimal amount of new content. Which actually isn't so bad, I'm fine with that. But when that minimal amount of new content feels rushed, uninspired, and devoted to making the game more of a pain in the ass, that's a problem.

BTW, one important thing I read on the BoI sub-Reddit: You get separate unlocks for beating both Greed Modes with the new character. It's funny, after experiencing the ridiculousness that is Greedier mode, going back to basic Greed Mode with Apollyon was actually kind of fun. So after all this time, the devs successfully managed to make Greed Mode enjoyable. All it took was adding a harder version of it for us to hate.

David___

Banned
Interesting thing just happened. I was donating to the blood donation machine in an arcade on Caves II, and while I was donating Lunch randomly spawned right next to it without any fanfare. Just poof, here's Lunch. I took it because free health but found it weird given nothing seemingly notable had occurred. Has this always been a thing, and has it happened to anyone else?

Here's a pic of the pedestal, sans Lunch:

inb4 I'm a scrub for using Azazel, I'm getting unlocks you silly~

Pretty sure its a effect of one of the new trinkets where when you get it you can spawn Lunch.

dickroach

RIP Pandora's Box Void

Single use items are now single use items even with Void :(

ugh... just figured that out.
was on a Apollyon Greedier run about to break the game but NOOOOOOO.
god damnit. I knew I shoulda kept Isaac open 24/7 to keep it from updating
I remember oding that with either Afterbirth or Rebirth

Neil_J_UK

Hmm. I unlocked Child's Heart as a starting item for Samson earlier this week. When I hover over him on the character select it lists it there as a starting item, but when I start a game I don't have it. Any ideas?

microfolk

heh I tried the april fools challenge and the first floor I got myself an alternate bloat. got in like 30 hits before I died and he was still at above half health :p (I got split shot so nothing amazing but i really don't think anything short of getting epic fetus or something on that tier would have saved me on the first floor)

Yeah.... Regarding that challenge...
Every single boss is the bloat. Sometimes there are two of them I think.
I don't think The Bloat is too hard though, it's really really easy to avoid it's attacks when you know how they work, it's just a little bit tedious because you can attack it safely for very little time.

zulux21

Yeah.... Regarding that challenge...
Every single boss is the bloat. Sometimes there are two of them I think.
I don't think The Bloat is too hard though, it's really really easy to avoid it's attacks when you know how they work, it's just a little bit tedious because you can attack it safely for very little time.

ah... well then I likely won't bother with that challenge. I don't find such tedious things enjoyable at all.

I don't think it is tied to an unlock I care about anyways.

dickroach

Hmm. I unlocked Child's Heart as a starting item for Samson earlier this week. When I hover over him on the character select it lists it there as a starting item, but when I start a game I don't have it. Any ideas?

must be a bug. it's not showing up on mine either

MrPanic

ah... well then I likely won't bother with that challenge. I don't find such tedious things enjoyable at all.

The trick to that challenge is to get a no charge active item on the first floor and spam it a lot until you become OP on the first floor. It's by far the easiest challenge of the new ones.

zulux21

The trick to that challenge is to get a no charge active item on the first floor and spam it a lot until you become OP on the first floor. It's by far the easiest challenge of the new ones.

I found the pong one to be pretty easy.

only decent pick up I got was the tear bombs late in the run (which really helped murder the last floor), aside from that I got a bunch of junk and just ran it with the starting stuff lol.

dickroach

stone fatties in greed mode need to GO

not being able to hit one fucking spider without getting hit because it's surrounded by 6 of those fuckers is complete bullshit

I'd do it, as Maggie is much more bearable with a Speed Pill to start every run.

I found Guppy's Paw and spammed it until I rerolled into a decent build. As said you can do this with any no-charge time active item.

After that, you get so many coins/HP from the way it works it was almost impossible to die, even when I was way abusing Devil Deals and not paying attention to getting hit in the slightest.

dickroach

I was like 5 seconds away from beating Ultra Greed pt 2 on a good run with Apollyon and got hit with those fucking falling-from-the-sky coin bombs. fuck those things. I had 5 lives left (from 9 lives) and was able to breeze thru Ultra Greed 1 every time, but those sky coin bombs are ruthless. :(

beat Greedier with The Keeper earlier tho. feelsgood

If you don't have Host Hat or Pyromaniac, you might as well just reset at the Ultra Greed fight. Especially at one heart. You're not surviving that.

The didn't nerf the Smelter with single use Trinkets, though, like the Void. So smelted Lost Poster still gives infinite lives to Lost, and Store Credit is free shop items forever. But that's like the nichest of niche situations, so there's no reason to bother. The Void just required a shop to have either Diplopia or Pandora's Box and the run was over. And both aren't really that rare in shops.

Finalow

good thing I finished greedier with Apollyon before this nerf; I remember I won that exactly because I found a Pandora's Box early on, lol.
it's not even worth the trouble now, Black Rune is fairly useless.

Like I said, I'm not excusing them, but now that I've thrown myself against them enough I don't bat an eye at portals and I'm hardly an expert player.

I still think they should be reduced but I'm used to them enough that getting them on floor 1 is less of a bother than it was a day ago.
you can get definitely get past them even without items (although if you get a really unlucky triple portal spawn with no bombs and items, that might be an early run kill), but it's more about the fact that they shouldn't be this annoying right from the first floors, nor I think that was intended.

I'd do it, as Maggie is much more bearable with a Speed Pill to start every run.

I found Guppy's Paw and spammed it until I rerolled into a decent build. As said you can do this with any no-charge time active item.

After that, you get so many coins/HP from the way it works it was almost impossible to die, even when I was way abusing Devil Deals and not paying attention to getting hit in the slightest.
is it a guaranteed speed pill or it's just a random pill? If it's the latter, eh, I don't think I'm gonna bother to press R until I get it.

after the first 1-2 floors I couldn't die in the Aprils Fool challenge even if I wanted to. you get hearts backs from coins, golden hearts too, so every time I was getting hit I just spawned coins everywhere to heal back up.
for once, I felt like I enjoyed finishing the new challenges.

It's a guaranteed speed pill.

Which means speed pills are always identifiable by Maggie and are always in the pool for her. It's actually a fairly huge buff for her.

But it wasn't even hard to get. There's a bit of a challenge in "the hunt" for something like Blank Card Jera, because you need those two components, and a specific room to use it on to get items. Blank Card Jera can generate tons of resources, but it's only when you start copying chests with items in it that it really takes off into a break. And that takes specific rooms and luck, and planning.

Void + Pandora's Box is just taking a starting item mixed with a fairly common shop item, and using it on a floor and there you go, enjoy your half dozen items every floor, with batteries even more. There's no hunt or any specific circumstances. Just owning an item you already have, a little tiny bit of luck, and 15 coins.

I consider brokenly OP item combinations to be a feature, not a bug.

But I guess we'd better pound a NO FUN ALLOWED sign into the 0.5% of runs where you get both of those things.
Ehh Pandora's box is ridiculously common. I encounter it almost every run either in a shop, devil deal, or red chest.

Parshias7

But it wasn't even hard to get. There's a bit of a challenge in "the hunt" for something like Blank Card Jera, because you need those two components, and a specific room to use it on to get items. Blank Card Jera can generate tons of resources, but it's only when you start copying chests with items in it that the break really takes off into a break. And that takes specific rooms and luck, and planning.

Void + Pandora's Box is just taking a starting item mixed with a fairly common shop item, and using it on a floor and there you go, enjoy your half dozen items every floor, with batteries even more. There's no hunt or any specific circumstances. Just owning an item you already have, a little tiny bit of luck, and 15 coins.

I suppose I don't really care. Edmund and the folks at Nicalis seem really invested in making the game "extra hard" with all the troll horseshit and nerfing items and bullet sponge bosses with bullet hell attack patterns, but as far as I'm concerned I don't have a problem with there being an "easy" option to play the game.

I felt the same way about the Azazel nerf (which was accidentally too much of a nerf and was fixed) and the Stopwatch nerf. These things make the game too easy? Who cares! I don't have any issues with Azazel being "easy mode" and The Lost being "hard mode". But we've just got to crank up the bullshit little by little until we reach the breaking point.

Void + Pandora's Box doesn't make beating the game as The Lost any easier, except for the very small amount of runs where you manage to get both of these things on that character. I don't care if it makes Apollyon strong because there are already strong characters to play as. If you want more of a challenge pick one of the shitty characters. Leave my broken shit alone, sometimes I just want to unwind with a broken run in peace.

Apollyon is still a good character and Void is still one of the best items in the game. Turning junk into stats, given the huge pile of junk passive items, is never not going to be super useful. I've never been happier to see Bob's Brain in a combat room.

I don't think there should be or needs to be a character that can break the game every single run with no luck, or even skill, involved.

Azazel is broken.

Azazel falls off kind of hard late game when bosses turn more into bullet hell exercises. If you lack orbitals you're not going to have a fun time fighting any boss past Mom's Heart. Even Stain can give you problems, due to needing to get close to do damage. Stain is usually a pretty easy boss, with very predictable patterns that only require basic dodging skills and yet the last run I had as Azazel, Stain absolutely kicked my butt due to not having any range or orbital items.

He's certainly an easy character to use, but he also cannot break the entire game wide open just by opening a shop door.

the post above yours covers the major culprits.

the damn portals everywhere constantly spawning, and a poorly designed boss that show up way to soon.

those plus mimic chests.

also all the bad stuff in gold rooms is just annoying. doesn't hurt me it's just annoying.

once I get motivated I will likely look at what unlocks I care to earn, and then at the very least put this mod on

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=834705109&searchtext=

Yeah, I'm an Isaac masochist, all those things are mostly fine with me. The portals need to be toned down for sure and I've only run into one of the two bosses I've seen people going on about (and it was kind of cheesy / lame, but I also thought Ragman was lame when I first encountered him and now him and I are cool). I really like the mimic chests, I really like getting the empty / dangerous treasure rooms, I've always held the opinion that you should never feel like anything is going to be a "safe bet" in Isaac, those two changes pretty much put the final grim stamp on the whole miserable experience, I love 'em. The few times now I've opened that treasure room to only encounter some dinky trinket and a couple baddies, the video game- rage I feel inside of me makes me happy that something can still make me that pissed off, if you know what I mean.

As a dedicated Isaac player I've yet to encounter anything in this expansion that rubs me the wrong way, I love having the way I play the game change dramatically. Even just having to second guess every chest or be prepared for a fight when I enter a treasure room is a great change, IMO. The only thing I could possibly want is more and that's where the mods will be coming in. Like I said before, I've always been easy to please with this game, I can't really expect everyone to see it my way though, hopefully Edmund and Nicalis keep listening to everyone and making more changes for the better!

So some people dislike the void rebalancing, which is expected. Breaking runs is great fun, I get that. My only issue was that it was too easy to do.

At least it's better than breadmund saying "btw if you use void after consuming Pandora's box it goes away forever lul"

I'm still waiting on a good reason to get this expansion - i.e. a really good set of mods - but in the meantime I've been thinking about what this expansion has done for the story. Spoilers, obviously.

OK, so Edmund has said "this is it for Isaac" basically. No more expansions, endings, or whatever. We can assume he's going to hold his word on it this time, as he's not about to get another remake made.

BUT, we know that there is another Isaac-themed game coming out - The Legend of Bumbo - which looks like it's swapping the top-down Zelda gameplay for 1st person RPG mechanics.

So keeping that in mind, let's consider the two new endings:

1. Greedier Mode's ending is pretty much just Greed Mode's ending.
2. The Void ending is the final confirmation of what the community deduced from all the other endings. We now know that the story is something like this:

Isaac's parents split up after arguing.
Isaac is saddened by this. But for a while, things are OK (notice the clothed Isaac picture with Mom - they both seem pretty cheery)
We know Mom is not happy due to the shot of her crying, though.
Isaac begins dressing up - one drawing is of him wearing the Maggie wig.

The drawings on the left are the supposedly on the nose ones, which so far have been interpreted as just Edmund being VERY BLUNT.

The ending thus goes, if you follow common logic:

Bad stuff happens. Guppy dies, Mom begins to treat Isaac badly, probably due to her own grief or her fear of him dressing up as a girl (one of the new between-floor cutscenes of Isaac walking around in a dress). We know some of the abuse is real, not imagined - he is inside his room naked, after all.

Isaac begins to see himself as evil/cursed/sinful.

Eventually, he begins contemplaying suicide, and goes through with it, suffocating and rotting to a skeleton within the toy box before Mom eventually finds his remains.

THE END. Right?

But there are a number of open questions.

1. Why was the toybox filled with photos? Why was one burnt? Was it Isaac or Mom that did that?
2. Is there a reason that Isaac's parents argued and split? We know it's not due to the death of Maggie now - she never existed.
3. What's the deal with the weird Greed endings - especially the new one, which makes no sense to add now the ARG is over?

and most importantly:

4. Why does Isaac think he's the DEVIL?

Not just evil or sinful. Isaac literally thinks he is Satan.

Consider the grey landscape that Isaac wakes up in after his death. It's not in the game itself, and we've seen it twice now, in endings 17 and 20.

Now consider two things regarding Isaac's shadow. In ending 17, we see it pool behind him and form a devil-like shape. In the Chest ending, though, we see something interesting too - a polaroid (read: not a drawing) of Isaac with a dark shadow behind him.

So. We have Isaac walking a barren grey landscape which is unexplained (is it limbo?) and this Satan/shadow thing that I think is still not very well explained.

So here's a what if:

What if the current understanding - of everything being in Isaac's head - was actually false?

Suppose Isaac - the real Isaac we see in the harder to find endings - actually was haunted by an evil spirit? What if that polaroid was actually showing reality?

If this was true, it answers the Satan question, and potentially answers the reasons for Isaac's abuse and Dad leaving. Isaac becomes haunted by a dark spirit. Dad leaves, understandably unable to deal with it. Mom attempts to deal with it, before growing increasingly abusive. Isaac eventually tries to fix everything by taking his own life. But as we can see from the two endings that show the grey world, this doesn't work. The dark spirit continues to haunt Isaac, and Isaac now wanders alone there - that's the meaning of the final shot of ending 20.

So this leads me to Legend of Bumbo:

I have a suspicion that we'll see Isaac's story continue in that game, or at the very least the story will be referenced and explained more. There are still quite a few questions I'd like answered, personally.

hbkdx12

As someone who plays BOI on ps4, i'm way less stoked for Afterbirth+ after seeing all the grand changes and wealth of content in antibirth.

Is there any word on afterbirth+ being able to potentially accomodate antibirth through it's mod implementation?

David___

Banned
Just fought
Delirium
. A lot easier than I expected tbh, then again I had Quadshot Brimstone since the second floor.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
i cant figure out what the new guys power does.... takes items and destroys them... why? do they stack?

i cant figure out what the new guys power does.... takes items and destroys them... why? do they stack?

Apollyon's Void lets him destroy pedestal items and absorb them. If he absorbs an active item, then everytime you use Void it will also use the active item's effect. For example, if you use Void to absorb The Bible, then the next time you use Void you'll gain temporary flight as if you used The Bible. This stacks, so you can have multiple active items. The only exceptions are for items like Pandora's Box and Diplopia which now go away after one use like they normally would.

If Void absorbs passive items like an hp up or something, it will destroy them and apply a random stat upgrade to you. For example, you can absorb Experimental Treatment and instead of its normal effect, you'll just get a random stat increase.

Magwik

Banned
Apollyon's Void lets him destroy pedestal items and absorb them. If he absorbs an active item, then everytime you use Void it will also use the active item's effect. For example, if you use Void to absorb The Bible, then the next time you use Void you'll gain temporary flight as if you used The Bible. This stacks, so you can have multiple active items. The only exceptions are for items like Pandora's Box and Diplopia which now go away after one use like they normally would.

If Void absorbs passive items like an hp up or something, it will destroy them and apply a random stat upgrade to you. For example, you can absorb Experimental Treatment and instead of its normal effect, you'll just get a random stat increase.
Also never use it on the D4/6/100.

Chronoja

Just fought
Delirium
. A lot easier than I expected tbh, then again I had Quadshot Brimstone since the second floor.

I've been clearing
Delirium
pretty steadily with each character in order, done up to Azazel so far, and I actually haven't been having too much trouble with him as I expected either (though that'll likely change with Lost / Keeper). That said, I am still confounded that this is what passes for an acceptable boss fight, like I'm stunned this is content from the same people that brought us The Binding of Isaac, such a badly designed fight.

Finished my first mod!

This trinket works somewhat like Swallowed Penny. When taking damage there's a slight chance to drop a playing card. A playing card in this case are the four main "Two Of" cards, the Joker, the four Aces, and the Rules Card. The four main "Two Of" cards have the highest chance, the Joker has the lowest chance, with the rest being fairly uncommon, although they come up occasionally.

This was a CHORE to make, and it's such a simple item...

Jeez, I wanted Sister Vis nerfed, but now they're just shells of their former self. HP decreased significantly, no more fast rolling, no more oscillating Brimstone shot. Would've been nice if they could've found a middle ground between extremely tanky and total pushovers. Fought four at once in Greedier Mode and they didn't hit me a single time.

(EDIT: Fought them again and the oscillating Brimstone is still there)

@balladofwindfishes, great job with the trinket, looks like something that would actually belong in the game.

NeckToChicken

Unconfirmed Member
Story speculation

In response to the open questions portion:
#1. The toybox full of photos could be literal or metaphorical. Literally, Isaac could have a polaroid camera that he uses to take photos of his life and saves them in the chest. Metaphorically, the polaroids are Isaac's past. Torching the single photograph could either be burning out his father from his past, or a more extreme lighting of his father's photograph to throw it into the chest and burn away everything Isaac knew.

Removal of just his father seems more likely since the box isn't ever depicted burned, but hey, pyromania is a thing.
#2. This ties into my guess at question 4. It could be anything. Regardless, Isaac blames himself for his parents splitting up. It might be due to him dressing up as a girl, since there's a picture of Isaac in a dress and wig happy with his mom in an ending. Perhaps he looked up to his mom and wanted a pink dress and blond hair like her. I'd wager his mom got him the wig as well, given the stage transition that has the wig in a gift box. Dad may have been revulsed or felt jealous.

I suspect that mom with a knife drove dad off, meaning it wasn't a cordial breakdown in whatever case. After seeing mom angry with a knife, Isaac's world goes to shit.
#3. Greedier ending probably doesn't mean anything, other than "congratulations have some spiders"
#4. Isaac believing he's the devil is him breaking down while reading the bible after his parents split. Isaac clearly doesn't know who he is, which isn't shocking for a young child, so he looks to the bible for an answer. Isaac suspects he's the reason why his family split, seeing himself as the cause of all the evil in the house. The biggest evil in the bible is Old Scratch himself, so that's the easiest connection he draws.

As to why he gets in the box, I have a few thoughts. Maybe he doesn't want to hide from his mom, but from the book that's shaping him. So, along with the only thing he has left to love in Guppy, he gets in the box. Maybe Isaac confronted that he's also the blue baby and will die some day, and has decided that he doesn't deserve to live anymore. Maybe the chest which held his photos (either literal or metaphorical) is the only place he feels safe but he becomes trapped with his past and suffocates in it. Maybe he's afraid that he isn't what his mom loves most, or even if she loves him at all.

My ultimate view is that Isaac felt overwhelmed by his parents' split, got in the box for whatever reason, and died. The black spirit is his sin (real or imagined), and it takes on a life of its own in death because he killed himself. Judas' shadow takes on a life of it's own when he dies, and now Isaac's shadow has too.

MrPanic

The game just got patched...

In seemingly another attempt to ruin the fun of its players, they disabled the ability to add mods by adding them to the resources folder. Thanks to this change, I can't hear my custom soundtrack in the game without adding it through the workshop which will lock the ability to get achievements, therefor remove all my interest to play the game at all. Dammit Tyrone!

Top Bottom