• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

I enjoyed Mafia 2 way more than i thought i would but never would have bought it if not for my library loaning out free games.
Looking forward to Mafia 3 and the next Sleeping Dogs/True Crime announcement.

But seriously though, that Mafia 3 reveal surprised the fuck out of me. I really hope that the writing is done well. I haven't been his excited about playing as a character since Adewale in Black Flag.

i know shes not playable i want to see how the lady plays in this too story wise, especially in the year/setting.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
ooh yes Mafia 3

I can feel the salt from here

mmmmmmm yes

I knew something was up when I saw the like-dislike ratio on the youtube trailer

That Mafia III thread... it's San Andreas part 2.

Never seen the original thread.

But seriously though, that Mafia 3 reveal surprised the fuck out of me. I really hope that the writing is done well. I haven't been his excited about playing as a character since Adewale in Black Flag.

Ditto. I wrote a whole thing about how I went from "eh" on Mafia to "oh shit" by time the trailer was done.

*proceeds to set a muslim on fire*

Embarrassingly enough, we've been doing that for hundreds of years.

It's utterly baffling that someone living in the UK in 2015 would say there's no racism here. You don't even have to be a minority to figure that out, it's so blatant.

We definitely have racism but it feels different to how I see it in the US.
As I've never been to the US, take this with a pinch of salt.

Rembrandt

Banned
The original name of that image is "MafiaIII_Harassment". Hangar 13 ready to go in.

oh man, it's going to be so good. the setting, story and characters are a huge change of pace and I'm interested in seeing how it all plays out. Good on them for this change.

zeemumu

I took a look at the Mafia III thread. It looks like a lot of people hiding behind the "I don't like change" excuse to avoid sounding racist.

Htown

Never seen the original thread.

Wow, really? It's amazing.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=820

I took a look at the Mafia III thread. It looks like a lot of people hiding behind the "I don't like change" excuse to avoid sounding racist.

people not even watching the trailer talking about "why is a black dude in the italian mafia?"

literally the entire point is that the protag hates the italian mafia and thinks they're bullshit

This is amazing.
XYlWR.jpg

Numb

That's my issue with alot of these people who don't want to see representation. To them straight, white, and/or male is the natural/default and anything deviating from that formula is forcing or "inserting politics into games".

Had enough of white dudes in their 30s as main guys long long ago.
That thread has gone places.

You're videogame protagonist can only be a Brunette/Bald white male, or a Japanese teenager (who must have blond hair and blue eyes). If you wish to defer from said formula a scantily clad female side character must be provided, but no meaningful dialogue can be written for her because who wants to hear her talk.....am I right......right.

zeemumu

Looked like Bish was fighting a one-man war in there.

Your videogame protagonist can only be a Brunette/Bald white male, or a Japanese teenager (who must have blond hair and blue eyes). If you wish to defer from said formula a scantily clad female side character must be provided, but no meaningful dialogue can be written for her because who wants to hear her talk.....am I right......right.

What if you play Saints Row The Third and make a black protagonist but give him Nolan North's voice?

FFXVI - Main characters All black everything, dehumazing stares and aggressive steps as powerups and Ether as main shadow skill to make that soul burn.

Gaf would shut down so fast, whew

jmood88

Like I said in the mafia thread, the reaction to that new character, as well as every other potential non-white character in a game, is why it's so important to have diversity in popular media. People really base their entire knowledge of history off the movies and tv shows they watch, yet it's always "no big deal" when history is whitewashed in pop-culture.

People fucking suck, wanna bitch about a character with color. Fucking kidding me?

You know how many white bald men with 5 o clock shadow I have played as? You know how many Japanese characters I've played as?

They sound like whiny privileged bitches.

Order

That Mafia thread is killing me.

Motherfuckers always wanna say "just let the developers make the game they want" but what they really mean is "keep the status quo". One of the few games in the industry with a black protagonist and everybody has a problem now.

jmood88

People fucking suck, wanna bitch about a character with color. Fucking kidding me?

You know how many white bald men with 5 o clock shadow I have played as? You know how many Japanese characters I've played as?

They sound like whiny privileged bitches.
I will never understand the anger so many white people feel when they're presented with a non-white playable character.
That Mafia thread is killing me.

Motherfuckers always wanna say "just let the developers make the game they want" but what they really mean is "keep the status quo". One of the few games in the industry with a black protagonist and everybody has a problem now.
It's always about "artistic integrity" and letting the developers carry out their vision until it's something they don't like, which is almost always diverse main characters.

Htown

So I'm tempted to wait a few weeks and post a thread where I go "Guess whether this post came from the GTA San Andreas reveal or the Mafia 3 reveal ten years later" and compare the quotes.

how many people really played mafia 2 though, wasnt it mixed results?

the dev wants to clearly go a new direction still based on the mafia obviously.

jmood88

So I'm tempted to wait a few weeks and post a thread where I go "Guess whether this post came from the GTA San Andreas reveal or the Mafia 3 reveal ten years later" and compare the quotes.
This needs to happen.
how many people really played mafia 2 though, wasnt it mixed results?

the dev wants to clearly go a new direction still based on the mafia obviously.
It's funny to see people act like the Mafia franchise is revered and beyond a need for changes. I like Mafia 2 but I was one of the few people who did and I can't tell you a thing that happened in the story because it was so generic.

zeemumu

Well that's enough racism for one day. The veins in my arms are starting to tense.

I caved and bought a 2nd ticket to D23 so I could check out the Kingdom Hearts stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom