• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

Maybe, maybe not, but it feels like there's stuff to be optimistic about. We've got LeSean Thomas making his anime pilot with Satelight in Japan. Felipe Smith did his manga with Kodansha a few years back. While technically not anime, the Avatar shows and Steven Universe have had a solid array of diverse brown/black characters. And there have been a handful of anime (SAO, Soul Eater) that had black characters than broke the mold.

It feels like we're starting to make a tiny dent in anime/anime-style entertainment. I'm not expecting any huge strides, but I think our representation definitely has the potential to improve because of it.

With Steven Universe, it isn't just black and brown characters (Connie and her family, the Pizza family), it's black and brown Voice Actors (Check this list of all the voice actors. I think there are more PoCs than white people http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/tv-shows/Steven-Universe/side-by-side/ ).

It doesn't hurt that some of the writers are people of color. The Pizzas are inspired by animator Ian Jones-Quartey's Ghanian family. Put more PoCs behind the camera, you get more PoCs in front of the camera, and better written PoCs in front of the camera. In other words, fuck you Matt Damon.

RedSwirl

723698869_rAkGo-1050x10000.jpg

Bubba T

I worked overnight at a gas station one time, on a Saturday, which happened to be the 4th of July.

I haven't worked an overnight since.

With Steven Universe, it isn't just black and brown characters (Connie and her family, the Pizza family), it's black and brown Voice Actors (Check this list of all the voice actors. I think there are more PoCs than white people http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/tv-shows/Steven-Universe/side-by-side/ ).

It doesn't hurt that some of the writers are people of color. The Pizzas are inspired by animator Ian Jones-Quartey's Ghanian family. Put more PoCs behind the camera, you get more PoCs in front of the camera, and better written PoCs in front of the camera. In other words, fuck you Matt Damon.

True, true. SU is nailing it on all fronts. Hopefully other productions will take note.

Completely aside from the question of reparations themselves, I really don't understand why there's so much of a focus on how Sanders feels. He's no more capable of making the majority magically flip than any other politician.

Slayven

Completely aside from the question of reparations themselves, I really don't understand why there's so much of a focus on how Sanders feels. He's no more capable of making the majority magically flip than any other politician.

If people were let down by Obama, they will be depressed by Sanders if he is tries to push his shit without any tweaking

FyreWulff

I worked overnight at a gas station one time, on a Saturday, which happened to be the 4th of July.

rip

I've never worked full retail but I did work for a library during summer reading club. I still have nightmares.

We had so much volume that we had to secretly raise the checkout limit from 40 to 80 so that people could turn in their books and then check out 40 more without us having to process the ones they just dropped off

also, i'll leave this right here

Slayven

Losing an arm over some Jordans?

Canarsie still legit.

THey both sound crazy as hell.

Craigslist scares the fuck out of me.

rip

I've never worked full retail but I did work for a library during summer reading club. I still have nightmares.

We had so much volume that we had to secretly raise the checkout limit from 40 to 80 so that people could turn in their books and then check out 40 more without us having to process the ones they just dropped off
I got questions

who checks out 40 books at time?

who needs double that?

Mizerman

Because apparently...

Sanders = instant changes to the status quo.

If people were let down by Obama, they will be depressed by Sanders if he is tries to push his shit without any tweaking

Seriously.

FyreWulff

who needs double that?

Not many people checked out 40 but some did since they were using their card to get books for all their kids and they didn't want to get them their own cards (you can sign up a newborn for a library card.. there was no age limit). Kid's cards could also only check out books from the kids sections. We tried to remove that limitation once so schoolkids could actually check out reference books from the other floors and told people they could opt-in their kid to not being able to check out non-kids books but then some WASP went to the media about how we were giving kids the Karma Sutra and violent movies and we had to undo the change. Assholes.

the double limit was to cheat the inventory system (fucking Horizon/Epixtech). We had giant bins of backlogged books because the more books you read, the more prizes you could qualify for in various programs. So if they came in and dumped books in the return, and then tried to grab 40 more, those books would still count as being on their account and we'd have to go through the whole stack to fix it. The amount circulation of books was also reported to get us more materials funding so there was no downside to doing it for the library.

Also, you could buy a membership to the library if you lived outside the county, for 40$, so those families liked to check out 40 at once and then return them as a batch.

Homeless cards could only check out 5 items at once. There was another card that could only check out 10, I forgot what it was. If you were blind or disabled we mailed your books to you for free thanks to this government program.

Some of our patrons were such book nerds that they'd just tell you their card number to check out books with

Slayven

MHWilliams, Mumei
You know MHW has a room like this in his house
Not many people checked out 40 but some did since they were using their card to get books for all their kids and they didn't want to get them their own cards (you can sign up a newborn for a library card.. there was no age limit). Kid's cards could also only check out books from the kids sections. We tried to remove that limitation once so schoolkids could actually check out reference books from the other floors and told people they could opt-in their kid to not being able to check out non-kids books but then some WASP went to the media about how we were giving kids the Karma Sutra and violent movies and we had to undo the change. Assholes.

the double limit was to cheat the inventory system (fucking Horizon/Epixtech). We had giant bins of backlogged books because the more books you read, the more prizes you could qualify for in various programs. So if they came in and dumped books in the return, and then tried to grab 40 more, those books would still count as being on their account and we'd have to go through the whole stack to fix it. The amount circulation of books was also reported to get us more materials funding so there was no downside to doing it for the library.

Also, you could buy a membership to the library if you lived outside the county, for 40$, so those families liked to check out 40 at once and then return them as a batch.

Homeless cards could only check out 5 items at once. There was another card that could only check out 10, I forgot what it was. If you were blind or disabled we mailed your books to you for free thanks to this government program.

Some of our patrons were such book nerds that they'd just tell you their card number to check out books with

I always felt bad for our local libraries, they had brand new computers and the most terrible to use card caralog system.

Mumei

Tone deaf. It is what it is. I feel he is as stubborn as his supporters in some ways.

I feel like he keeps missing opportunities to talk about racial justice as necessary for achieving economic justice and how they are intertwined. Like, if he were better informed he could talk about MLK's views on reparations which included the reparations for disadvantaged white people. There's an Michael Eric Dyson editorial that was linked in a discussion on The Atlantic about reparations where he talks about this:

If conservatives were to read and listen to King carefully, they would not only find little basis in King’s writings to justify their assaults in his name, but they would be brought up short by his vision of racial compensation and racial reparation, a vision far more radical than most current views of affirmative action. King wrote in Why We Can't Wait that few “people consider the fact that, in addition to being enslaved for two centuries,” that black folk were also robbed of wages for toil. It is worth quoting King at length:

No amount of gold could provide an adequate compensation for the exploitation and humiliation of the Negro in America down through the centuries. Not all the wealth of this affluent society could meet the bill. Yet a price can be placed on unpaid wages. The ancient common law has always provided a remedy for the appropriation of the labor of one human being by another. This law should be made to apply for American Negroes. The payment should be in the form of a massive program by the government of special, compensatory measures which could be regarded as a settlement in accordance with the accepted practice of common law. Such measures would certainly be less expensive than any computation based on two centuries of unpaid wages and accumulated interest. I am proposing, therefore, that, just as we granted a GI Bill of Rights to war veterans, America launch a broad-based and gigantic Bill of Rights for the Disadvantaged, our veterans of the long siege of denial.​

King ingeniously anticipated objections to programs of racial compensation on the grounds they discriminated against poor whites who were equally disadvantaged. He knew that conservatives would manipulate racial solidarity through an insincere display of new-found concern for poor whites that pitted their interests against those of blacks. King claimed that “millions of [the] white poor” would benefit from the bill. Although he believed that the “moral justification for special measures for Negroes is rooted in the robberies inherent in the institution of slavery,” many poor whites, he argued, were “the derivative victims” of slavery. He conceded that poor whites are “chained by the weight of discrimination” even if its “badge of degradation does not mark them.”

King understood how many poor whites failed to understand the class dimensions of their exploitation by elite whites who appealed to vicious identity politics to obscure their actions. King held that discrimination was in ways “more evil for [poor whites], because it has confused so many by prejudice that they have supported their own oppressors.” Hence, it was only just that a Bill of Rights for the Disadvantaged, intent on “raising the Negro from backwardness,” would also rescue “a large stratum of the forgotten white poor.” For King, compensatory measures that were truly just — that is, took race into account while also considering class — had the best chance of bringing healing to our nation's minorities and to the white poor. It was never one or the other; both were a moral priority for King.

It was tone deaf, but if he was going to bring up the idea, he ought to have framed it better politically and historically (and sociologically...). He doesn't seem to get the importance of race on any analysis of poverty, though.

who needs double that?

*checks library account*

I have 56 items out, plus 10 more on request!

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

overnight isnt bad, unless youre solo. then shit gets wierd. i worked overnight security for season 2 of who wants to be a superhero. between the deep fog, homeless people popping up like random pokemon, or shuffling like like drunk zombies, that was some freaky shit

Slayven

overnight isnt bad, unless youre solo. then shit gets wierd. i worked overnight security for season 2 of who wants to be a superhero. between the deep fog, homeless people popping up like random pokemon, or shuffling like like drunk zombies, that was some freaky shit

Sounds like you seen some shit, did you meet Stan Lee?

Slayven. He did 4th wall pretty damn good. References can definitely get quite a bit of chuckles from you, truly. That said, better than winter soldier? Nah, man. Better than everything Fox? No question..

DON'T READ!

Stan Lee? As a strip club emcee? With tits a swinging and all? Can't even be mad at that shit..

---

I don't believe hillary would give reparations though, tbh.

Nobody would

Is there a question here?

akira28

Nobody would

President Cat the XXVIIIth would.

Bernie has a bid red X on him though that glows when you shoot it. Dude is too principled to pay any lip service to the reparations argument in the positive, and is reluctant to bend to racial history. He will treat the plight of poor blacks like the plight of poor whites. And it would undeniably be a help, but if people were expecting the next person to address that old business..

Both parties have their racial schism it seems. Both parties seem prepared to try to capitalize on the other's blindspot.

Slayven

Slayven. He did 4th wall pretty damn good. References can definitely get quite a bit of chuckles from you, truly. That said, better than winter soldier? Nah, man. Better than everything Fox? No question..

DON'T READ!

Stan Lee? As a strip club emcee? With tits a swinging and all? Can't even be mad at that shit..

---

Is there a question here?
I will catch it on encore

I will catch it on encore
That'd be fair.
I was gonna say lol. The way people have been talking about it.
Nah, kid. It's good, as opposed to bad.

It does it's job. It plays to the audience. It absolutely winks at the reader. It just ain't much more than that. FUN! Then not so much for a couple of minutes. Then, MORE FUN! Then, recycle..
We have an understanding..I was the first to tan her ass..

The feel when you piss off a dude that can jump 5 stories straight up.
I need the issue, stat. I will but that tomorrow.

So I just left a restaurant and a woman with a group of women blurted out can I come home with you? She didn't think I heard her. I turned around and said I'm not gonna be a gentleman tonight. So if you come home with me, you are only getting cunninlingus. Two of them looked up and said you serious. I said I'm gonna eat it like groceries and it's the last meal on earth. I grabbed the pretty ones phone and said I'm not bullshitting, I'll take both of yall tonight. Put my phone in hers and dialed my number.

I'm drunk. Tell me why they on the way.

#thelegendcontinues

Lucentto

Banned
I am late as fuck but whatever.

Where you're from - New Orleans, LA
Where you live - Atlanta, GA
What is your age? - 24
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - My whole family is 100% Black as far as I know.
Do you know your roots - No, not really Sadly
Favorite musical genre - Instrumental Hip-Hop, R&B, VG Music
Your profession/major/career interest - Information Systems, IT, Database Management. Still a student. (Graduating this year though)
Your religious affiliation - None
Hobbies - Video Games, Manga, Anime, Digital Art
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - Bojangles, easily

Sup people, been on GAF forever but never posted in this thread for some reason.

I'm going to get drunk soon so if I say something weird later, my b. I might end up just passing out instead.

See me in SFV come Tuesday.

Shy

See, this is why i need to get around to giving it another go. (i watched the first couple of episodes, but got a bit overwhelmed by the amount i had to catch up on, so i gave up)
Craigslist scares the fuck out of me.
Yep me too.
I like my kidneys intact, thank you very much.

And as silly as this sounds, i don't even feel comfortable using Ebay. (i've only used it a couple of times)
I'd eat that pussy..
zEyhk6p.gif

I need the issue, stat. I will but that tomorrow.

So I just left a restaurant and a woman with a group of women blurted out can I come home with you? She didn't think I heard her. I turned around and said I'm not gonna be a gentleman tonight. So if you come home with me, you are only getting cunninlingus. Two of them looked up and said you serious. I said I'm gonna eat it like groceries and it's the last meal on earth. I grabbed the pretty ones phone and said I'm not bullshitting, I'll take both of yall tonight. Put my phone in hers and dialed my number.

I'm drunk. Tell me why they on the way.

#thelegendcontinues
You truly are a boss.
s60kT0V.gif

I am late as fuck but whatever.

Where you're from - New Orleans, LA
Where you live - Atlanta, GA
What is your age? - 24
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - My whole family is 100% Black as far as I know.
Do you know your roots - No, not really Sadly
Favorite musical genre - Instrumental Hip-Hop, R&B, VG Music
Your profession/major/career interest - Information Systems, IT, Database Management. Still a student. (Graduating this year though)
Your religious affiliation - None
Hobbies - Video Games, Manga, Anime, Digital Art
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - Bojangles, easily

Sup people, been on GAF forever but never posted in this thread for some reason.

I'm going to get drunk soon so if I say something weird later, my b. I might end up just passing out instead.

See me in SFV come Tuesday.
Welcome welcome, new friend.

Kreed

Jay-Z did it Tom Ford with Bey in the background.

Like I said its weird as hell.

And of course you always hear rapper say my bitch here and there. It's a term of endearment but the men use it in a misogynistic way like they are referring to pets.

Calling Beyonce a "bad bitch" just seems a "little less" disrespectful than Kanye saying he and Ray J "fucked the same bitch" IMO. Regardless, there's no way I'm going to believe if someone referred to Kanye's daughter/deceased mother as a bitch, he's not writing an entire album about how it made him feel after 50 tweets about it.

Top Bottom