• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

9f2e1c950.jpg

1ac734b20.jpg

I'm SO hyped for Coates' Black Panther run

Looking forward to this. That art is so good.

That Eisenberg Lex looking like Jim Carrey's Riddler on meth

He's the most intriguing part of the movie for me so far. Dangerous eccentric playing off of brooding heroes. I'm hoping at least that he has a lot of scenes that make him more sinister than he puts on. The hyper fluctuating tone of that trailer was a bit deflating though. The Clark meeting Bruce scene was good. Diana's intro was good. But the whole thing was stitched together so sloppily which just makes me afraid for the tone of the actual movie and whether it will stay mostly stable. First trailer was great. I should have skipped this one and waited for the movie. I'll probably be skipping the future Suicide Squad trailers.
Also not a big Doomsday fan in any capacity.
They could have had a more interesting story if it just revolved around the characters being manipulated into combat by Lex without the need for a final boss.

I liked the BvS trailer minus Lex. Too close to Joker with the snark. Super down for that WW entrance though. Does in one scene with zero dialogue what Supergirl tried too hard at with tons of dialogue for like 3 episodes.

Malyse

I'm giving it a chance.

Xenosaga was so bad I almost swore off anything "xeno" for the rest of my life.
that's an interesting way to be wrong.
Those are part of the same series? I thought they had nothing to do with each other. How did a PlayStation series end up being a first party Nintendo game?
k. So Xenogears was pitched as Final Fantasy VII, bur Square figured it would be easier to remix FF6 in polygons instead. But they thought the idea waw cool, so they decided to left Takahashi make the game anyway. He does, but midway through development his budget gets slashed (this will become a recurring theme). Xenogears limps across the finish line and is released to critical acclaim in spite of the second disc having virtually no gameplay, just boss battles between dozens of screens full of text. Xenogears was, in Star Wars fashion, Episode 5 of the story. Takahashi planned to tell the other episodes, but when he realized Square wasn't ever going to touch Xenogears again, he ups and leaves the company. Cue next console generation.

The newly formed Monolith Soft successfully pitches a six part space opera sci fi RPG to Namco named Xenosaga. As you might have guessed, this is the spiritual sucessor to Xenogears. Takahashi starts with Episode 2 this go round and is intent on eventually making his way to a new Episode 5 which will be a retelling of the Xenogears story. Unfortunately, due to a terrible second game, the budget gets slashed and they end up having to wrap with episode III (which is the end point of Episode 2 or 3 in the meta narrative). Namco says depending on the sales, they might reconsider the series, but in spite of being one of the best RPG's of the generation (if not ever), it fails to make any buzz. Cue round three.

Xenoblade, originally titled Monado, is being made for Nintendo, who has at this point has purchased Monolith Soft. After the retitling (or perhaps before it), more allusions to the other Xeno games are added to the game. Dunban is an expy of Citan/Jin, the plot revolves around mechs though you sadly don't get to ride one this go round, and in the end of the game, the planet is revealed to strongly resemble the one from the original Gears. Unfortunately, Xenoblade is by a significant degree the worst of the Xeno games, and is mediocre at best. Plus it's missing a lot of what makes a Xeno game a Xeno game, particularly in its themes qnd density of storytelling. At least the music is good.

And now we have Xenoblade X, which somehow apparently has an even weaker story than Blade.

cdyhybrid

I've never heard it called a whale tail, but there was one in the desk in front of me when I was taking my SAT. This was early 2000.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I've never heard it called a whale tail, but there was one in the desk in front of me when I was taking my SAT. This was early 2000.
fucking distracting; forget all about the formula for quadratic equations. Good thing I programmed them onto my calculator.

Assuming the 9/11 thing is just a joke/coincidence, no idea how it relates to low rise plus thongs.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Watching the BvS trailer again, it feels like the movie is gonna be really macho and really homoerotic at the same time. Like a superhero version of 300.

I felt absolutely nothing from that BvS trailer which is weird because had I read the synopsis of it alone, I'd probably lose my shit.
Shit was everywhere in middle school for me. My 12-13 self liked it but in hindsight, I'm perplexed at how some of their parents let them go out like that at that age.

Slayven

I will sum up my thoughts quick

Lex doesn't sound like Lex

Doomsday bros? All the rich history of the DCU and Doomsday in 2015? Ha

It was like "Oh shit aren't we forgetting something? Oh Yeah Wonder Woman quick toss some shit in there?"

Kreed

I was "ok" with the trailer until Doomsday, then it got bad/looked corny.

Took a look at OT1...I'll see if I can get a merged set of all OTs during the weeknd:

If you're going to actually do this, IMO the list really only has meaning when it's dealing with people who were "participants" and not just "drive by/ask one question and leave/I saw my name posted in here and now it's time to argue" posters. Example:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=36386657#post36386657

I think we can all agree this poster was NOT part of this community at any point. So for example, I'd put a post minimum on it of 5 posts or more. Particularly I wouldn't waste the time throwing in the 1-3 post individuals.

Unfortunately, Xenoblade is by a significant degree the worst of the Xeno games, and is mediocre at best. Plus it's missing a lot of what makes a Xeno game a Xeno game, particularly in its themes qnd density of storytelling. At least the music is good.

And now we have Xenoblade X, which somehow apparently has an even weaker story than Blade.

Lol. You're really on a roll with the crazy.

Shy

I will sum up my thoughts quick

Lex doesn't sound like Lex

Doomsday bros? All the rich history of the DCU and Doomsday in 2015? Ha

It was like "Oh shit aren't we forgetting something? Oh Yeah Wonder Woman quick toss some shit in there?"
Yeah that's what i thought.

I know it's probably wrong for me to say this, because i saw someone in the trailer thread get angry about it, but i would of liked him to be like the animated version Lex.

I don't know anything about comics, so i'm probably talking out my bum.

Slayven

Yeah that's what i thought.

I know it's probably wrong for me to say this, because i saw someone in the trailer thread get angry about it, but i would of liked him to be like the animated version Lex.

I don't know anything about comics, so i'm probably talking out my bum.

Yeah when I think Lex, I think someone that can sell fire to the devil, so smooth that you have to love him.

This motherfucker here looked annoying as fuck

Shy

It feels less like Jesse Eisenberg playing Lex Luthor and more like Jesse Eisenberg playing Max Landis.
Funny you mentioned that, Max Landis tweeted that he strongly thinks that it really is based off him.

Max Landis's tweet said:
I don't think it's out of line to say that I believe due to several factors this version of the iconic villain is directly inspired by me.

Malyse

Lol. You're really on a roll with the crazy.

Xenoblade has a bad, less thought out version of FFXII combat, an excessively large irritatingly empty world design, and the lightest story of and Xeno game. No Nietzsche. No Freud. Party members with no story arc. Xenoblade is extremely overrated and NOA was fully justified in their hesitation to bring it over. I am more than a little convinced that the extreme love people have for it is in no small part due to an unconscious need to justify begging so hard for it.

I'm glad you hold it in such high esteem but it's far from perfect.

Xenoblade has a bad, less thought out version of FFXII combat, an excessively large irritatingly empty world design, and the lightest story of and Xeno game. No Nietzsche. No Freud. Party members with no story arc. Xenoblade is extremely overrated and NOA was fully justified in their hesitation to bring it over. I am more than a little convinced that the extreme love people have for it is in no small part due to an unconscious need to justify begging so hard for it.

I'm glad you hold it in such high esteem but it's far from perfect.

I disagree with everything you said apart from the story being the lightest and that's not a bad thing, especially when it means you're actually able to tell the entirety of your story this time. You didn't like the game? Fine, but don't try and tell me it's somehow much worse than an incomplete game (Xenogears) or one you yourself blamed for tanking a franchise (Xenosaga 2).
Which party members do you feel had no story arc?

with all that crazyness, i still dont get why amalgam was disliked so much

Because crazy =/= good.

Gattsu25

Banned
I was "ok" with the trailer until Doomsday, then it got bad/looked corny.

If you're going to actually do this, IMO the list really only has meaning when it's dealing with people who were "participants" and not just "drive by/ask one question and leave/I saw my name posted in here and now it's time to argue" posters. Example:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=36386657#post36386657

I think we can all agree this poster was NOT part of this community at any point. So for example, I'd put a post minimum on it of 5 posts or more. Particularly I wouldn't waste the time throwing in the 1-3 post individuals.
Sounds good.

I'll also try to show how many OTs each person contributed to.

Malyse

I disagree with everything you said apart from the story being the lightest and that's not a bad thing, especially when it means you're actually able to tell the entirety of your story this time. You didn't like the game? Fine, but don't try and tell me it's somehow much worse than an incomplete game (Xenogears) or one you yourself blamed for tanking a franchise (Xenosaga 2).
Which party members do you feel had no story arc?

What was Reyn's arc? What was Dunban's? Hell, give me someone's arc other than Shulk and Seven.

I do like Xenoblade, but I'm not going to pretend that its numerous flaws aren't there. And Xenosaga Episode III rectifies all the pains of the previous two. Xenosaga was an epic. Xenogears was an epic. Xenoblade was a game. Xenoblade played everything safe. Beautiful failure is better than a conservative success.

-----

Batman v Superman is going to be such trash.

Sou Da

Funny you mentioned that, Max Landis tweeted that he strongly thinks that it really is based off him.

Max Landis should never talk about anything Superman related in his life. Not after "The sound of one hand clapping"

Top Bottom