• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT14| Ruthless: The So Well Spoken Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's your psn? Loving Alienation

The only way it'd work would be a new era type of platformer with Crash in it. People will be livid because it isn't "true" to its roots. Give em what they want though. Just give me Legend of Dragoon in return. That's all I ask

And Bushido Blade
Click my Name it's in my profile
Or
Kxpuc

Are jews not white? What is distinctly different from Adam Sandler and Sarah Silverman from other white folks?
The only people who are considered white are those who've always been treated as people (In US). So it excludes, Jews, Irish, Italians, russians

Numb

Watching After Earf

TnQRX6v.gif

Kreed

It is. Jewish people are followers of Judaism. At least, that's how it's always been to me. Like Muslims are followers of Islam. I dunno how you can just be Jewish, not x other thing. Not exactly a race.

This is correct in regards to the religion, but what some people mean when they say "Jewish" people are people who have ancestry from Israel (example, there are people in the US who aren't religious who have ancestry from Israel and consider themselves Jewish). The same with "Muslims" and some people using it to refer to anyone from the Middle East.

The only people who are considered white are those who've always been treated as people (In US). So it excludes, Jews, Irish, Italians, russians

Yes and no. Originally white people in the US were people of British, Nordic, and French European descent, and the groups you listed were excluded, but eventually it began to include anyone with ancestry from Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa, which is what the US census currently goes by (Another reason we keep getting situations like the "Gods of Egypt" and "white Jesus"). However some in the US (particularly of the KKK/racist variety) stick with the original grouping.

Johndoey

Banned
My father is ethnically Jewish, if I remember correctly he was involved in the religious community for some amount of time. The whole thing is confusing.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I finished UC4 and was very disappointed. Not because it was bad though, just because it wasn't what I had come to expect from an uncharted game. I didn't like the direction and thought it would've been more conducive to a new IP

Watching After Earf

Why does Will Smiff think these accents are good?
He's got nothing but yes men in his life (probably like most actors) Doubt jada gets involved with his acting on a deep level.

Sch1sm

This is correct in regards to the religion, but what some people mean when they say "Jewish" people are people who have ancestry from Israel (example, there are people in the US who aren't religious who have ancestry from Israel and consider themselves Jewish). The same with "Muslims" and some people using it to refer to anyone from the Middle East.

As opposed to simply saying they have Israeli ancestry? That's what I don't understand. Could it be because of the strong emphasis with Israel and "Holy Land?" Problematic, considering the Abrahamic religions all claim that. Is it because it remains the majority religion in the country by a long shot? Wouldn't make sense to me considering there are a fair few countries that fit that criteria with different religions, and would sooner say nationality > religion. Or, because majority of the world's Jewish population still resides there?

Just one of those things to accept, I guess.

that movie wasn't that bad

by video game adaptation standards, it was a goddamn masterpiece, just by being halfway competent and respecting the source material
Shows that MK is the GOAT for video game movies by setting the bar for the best (MK1) AND the worst (Annihilation)

akira28

jewishness is complicated.

diaspora, mixing, shit, having to hide in hostile cultures meaning having to pass as non-jewish, basically. so...it would be easy to say jewish is non-white as a rule. but then what is whiteness? if you ask 300 years ago...it wasn't anyone with a rosy pink to pale off-white skin. Then there's the whole spending a thousand years in Europe thing for a large portion of social/familial tradition jews. While other traditional hebraic people went in the direction of Asia and Africa and they are decidedly not white.

So the answer becomes yes and no, based on what whiteness was and is. And what jewishness was and is today.

edit: Israel of the past...land of brown people, akkadian, semetic, afro-indus-asiatic. they certainly wouldn't consider themselves 'middle eastern'...relative to Europe in the West.
Israel of today, political frankenstein of war refugees, massacre survivors, and a historically hounded peoples claiming the ancient suppressed Jewish tradition and homeland. The hardened result of mankind's evil and intolerance basically.

The Storm/Panther thing was only good for:

Marvel
Hudlin
Eric Jerome Dickey (who wrote an actual romance novel for the pairing)
New fans who were brought in because of the pairing

The Storm/Panther thing was not good for:
Black Panther fans who considered long standing character Monica Lynn to be T'challa's true love.
Storm fans who thought she had a better romance with Forge. And depending on how you read into it, Yukio.
People who realized that this all hinged on a retcon meeting between Ororo and T'challa written by Claremont.

And see how fast that marriage got annulled?

Okay, the actual marriage was kinda cool. Especially when the Black Captain America AKA Isaiah Bradley shows up and is honored by everyone.

it really was. i dont know why people want it so damn bad

Because The Most Powerful Black Superhero plus The Most Powerful Black Superheroine Equals...?

To the best of my knowledge, there had been no real history or buildup between the characters to give any veracity to the relationship (which is why they had to pull EJD in). But, at least Marvel was trying to get black people to buy their stuff (and black women in particular).

Kreed

As opposed to simply saying they have Israeli ancestry? That's what I don't understand. Could it be because of the strong emphasis with Israel and "Holy Land?" Problematic, considering the Abrahamic religions all claim that. Is it because it remains the majority religion in the country by a long shot? Wouldn't make sense to me considering there are a fair few countries that fit that criteria with different religions, and would sooner say nationality > religion. Or, because majority of the world's Jewish population still resides there?

Just one of those things to accept, I guess.

The thing about the Jewish religion is that there aren't a lot of "converts" from other not traditionally Jewish ethnic groups in comparison to religions like Christianity. Because of this, many people who are religiously Jewish/left the Jewish religion also tend to share the same ancestry, so it's very easy to apply the religious label as an ethnic one since very few people in the US counter the label. For example, Black Jews are very small in number in the US, and many of them aren't considered "traditionally Jewish" even if they fall under the category simply by being black regardless of if they converted to the religion or if they have Jewish parents (parents following the faith and/or via ancestry). It's what the US census calls "ethnoreligious". Basically a ethnic group and a religion.

Also many Jewish US ancestors migrated from Europe (Germany, Poland, etc...) to escape Antisemitism and other issues/find a better life, who's ancestors migrated from other places/etc..., so trying to connect them to a region ancestrally becomes "complicated" vs just sticking to the much easier Jewish label.

But yeah it throws me off too when I meet atheists and get to know them as such and then they tell me they are Jewish/celebrate Jewish holidays. Social constructs at work.

Would you pay $60 for it is my question. Plus I have no faith that Activison wouldn't halfass it or Skylander it.

If it does turn out to be true, here's hoping it's good cause we need more platformers.

Nah it shouldn't be $60 bucks. Yeah I dislike the idea of a Triple A Crash game, those days are long gone. But a proper budget title? I'm game.

Slayven

it really was. i dont know why people want it so damn bad

Because The Most Powerful Black Superhero plus The Most Powerful Black Superheroine Equals...?

To the best of my knowledge, there had been no real history or buildup between the characters to give any veracity to the relationship (which is why they had to pull EJD in). But, at least Marvel was trying to get black people to buy their stuff (and black women in particular).

People wanted to see black love so bad that they were willing to settle for shit when we could be eating steak

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

they tried with a one shot right before the marriage to try to show that they were meant to be, but it was as forced as the marriage itself. it really didnt help that the only one in marvel pushing the marriage was that clown hudlin himself

People wanted to see black love so bad that they were willing to settle for shit when we could be eating steak

because they know storm. if they knew the monicas more, i dont think theyd push all this so hard.

Slayven

they tried with a one shot right before the marriage to try to show that they were meant to be, but it was as forced as the marriage itself. it really didnt help that the only one in marvel pushing the marriage was that clown hudlin himself

because they know storm. if they knew the monicas more, i dont think theyd push all this so hard.

That shit gets on my nerve, hear people tell it there are only like 26 comic characters worth a damn

RedSwirl

Any of y'all ever been with a staffing company? I'm mulling over a temp work thing they just offered with like four days notice. How do these usually go?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
It's a miracle that Storm is on that list, if you think about it.

But yeah, I'm #teammonicarambeauiscaptainmarveldammit

oh man, if that were somehow possible....

Or the rare reverse "Ironman wasn't shit until RDJ made him"

If you look at it Tony Stark and RDJ lives pretty much likeup that he plays his himself.

thats why he works so well. although even with the drug use, he cant be the fuck up champ stark is

So.

Michael B. Jordan in Star Wars or John Boyega in Black Panther?

Choose wisely.

Ooooh. Depends on what the part is. I'm inclined towards the latter. We know that Boyega can do an African accent, the Nigerian accent of his family.

Hmm. I would have made Boyega that Everett Ross guy. The young man has comic timing ("Droid, please!") and his American accent isn't too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom