• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no television with a legitimate movie/music marketplace, built in blu ray player, cable/dvr integration, on top of being a legitimate video games system, and there's never going to be. There is a massive market for a video game console that doubles down as an All-In-One device. Regardless of Microsoft's original intentions coming into the industry, it'd be idiotic for them to shift focus considering the Xbox is one of Microsoft's most reliably lucrative divisions at this point. Console gaming is going to be around for the foreseeable future, profoundly at that, and television solutions to media are never going to be as capable, powerful or scalable as a dedicated solution, so I feel Microsoft is tackling this all-in-one element to the living room from the right angle.

Being a gaming machine was a means to an end, MS wants to be THE machine in your living room if it happens to be a gaming console, so be it.

But physical media isn't the future, in that regard I think MS may be getting ahead of themselves with a focus on everyone having extremely fast and reliable internet service.

There are already smart TVs that can connect to the streaming tv and movie services like netflix and hulu. At this point they're only lacking a large capacity harddrive for things like amazon marketplace or the apple store, blu ray player (which individually will be below $100 by next year) and cable service intergration.

Adding those things to a television seem like it wouldn't take too much work once there is more elegant pc intergration. There's no reason they can't explore that avenue while still pushing the xbox in the meantime. But I do think they're missing a pretty big opportunity by not trojan horsing their way into people's livingrooms via their TVs.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
What the? Negro please.

The soundtrack in Third Strike deserves all of the praise it gets.

nah son. tired, repetitive tunes, even if they were remixed from round to round in the DC version

You guys need to go back and listen to alpha 2's OST. Neither 2nd impact or 3s is seeing it.

this

Gen, Guy, Sakura, Bison, Rose, Rolento, hell even Dan's track stomps 3s

'BEATS IN MY HEAD' ad infinitum is some tired, tired shit

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
New Generation music > 2nd Impact music > Alpha 2 music > 3rd Strike music > Alpha 3 music

3rd Strike's music is so overrated

i personally pick 2nd impact over new generation, but i pretty much agree.. ng has the best version of jazzy nyc hands down, but the musical cues in 2nd impact are better( mainly hugos stage, and giant attack are my personal favorites.) alpha 2 was my favorite for a long time, with the best remixes of sagat and chun li themes.(although i do love chuns mvc theme remix) and third strikes music is bland outside of the russia theme. same goes for alpha 3, but it has the best ending credits theme in all of street fighter.

What the? Negro please.

The soundtrack in Third Strike deserves all of the praise it gets.

i wasnt aware the soundtrack was praised.

Wynnebeck

Banned
nah son. tired, repetitive tunes, even if they were remixed from round to round in the DC version

this

Gen, Guy, Sakura, Bison, Rose, Rolento, hell even Dan's track stomps 3s

'BEATS IN MY HEAD' ad infinitum is some tired, tired shit

Guess the beats got in your head.

G-Fex

i personally pick 2nd impact over new generation, but i pretty much agree.. ng has the best version of jazzy nyc hands down, but the musical cues in 2nd impact are better( mainly hugos stage, and giant attack are my personal favorites.) alpha 2 was my favorite for a long time, with the best remixes of sagat and chun li themes.(although i do love chuns mvc theme remix) and third strikes music is bland outside of the russia theme. same goes for alpha 3, but it has the best ending credits theme in all of street fighter.

i wasnt aware the soundtrack was praised.

3rd strike's music was amazing.

DrFunk

like what?

and don't say 4

You know how SF2's music is still memorable to this day? What can you name from 3s that people instantly recognize and still talk about?

Besides the character selection screen

Edit: I'll even take it a step further and say Alpha 1/2/3 has more memorable tunes than 3s. You know Bison's tune when you hear it, but Gill's? nah

harSon

Banned
Being a gaming machine was a means to an end, MS wants to be THE machine in your living room if it happens to be a gaming console, so be it.

But physical media isn't the future, in that regard I think MS may be getting ahead of themselves with a focus on everyone having extremely fast and reliable internet service.

There are already smart TVs that can connect to the streaming tv and movie services like netflix and hulu. At this point they're only lacking a large capacity harddrive for things like amazon marketplace or the apple store, blu ray player (which individually will be below $100 by next year) and cable service intergration.

Adding those things to a television seem like it would take too much work once there is more elegant pc intergration. There's no reason they can't explore that avenue while still pushing the xbox in the meantime. But I do think they're missing a pretty big opportunity by not trojan horsing their way into people's livingrooms via their TVs.

An all-in-one television to that extent is not going to be feasible due to the costs it would take to implement everything. It wouldn't effect top of the line television sets, but low-tier televisions wouldn't be able to make the jump and that's where the majority of television sales are had. I think the fact that Vizio is the top selling television brand in the United States is pretty important to note, and that's due to the fact that it's an affordable brand.

Video Games are a huge part of social culture at this point, and that quality of society is growing increasingly faster with each passing year. Whether consoles are being purchased for one's children or one's self, a video game console in the living space is almost as common as a DVD/Blu Ray player or a Cable Box. And with that in mind, it makes sense to attack this all-in-one issue to the living room from

They're a software company at heart, and they have absolutely no experience with television hardware. I suppose they could team up with someone like Vizio or Samsung and handle the software component of the television, but considering Microsoft is in the business of making money, it makes infinitely more sense to effectively own all levels of their venture. If they do manage to successfully integrate their console platform within the living room, then they're making money on A) Console Sales B) Software Sales C) Peripheral Sales D) Xbox Live subscriptions E) Downloadable Content and Microtransactions F) Their Movie/Music Marketplace G) Business Partnerships etc. I'm not sure how your plan of action would net them anything close to what the Xbox is currently doing, and will grow to do in the future if they continue to grow the venture.

I agree that it'd serve Microsoft well to team up with television manufacturers and integrate Windows/Xbox into their products, but it shouldn't be a means to an end or their primary focus.

G-Fex

You know how SF2's music is still memorable to this day? What can you name from 3s that people instantly recognize and still talk about?

Edit: I'll even take it a step further and say Alpha 1/2/3 has more memorable tunes than 3s. You know Bison's tune when you hear it, but Gill's? nah

I hate everything about the Alpha games. A lot

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Some heavy shit going down in here, good discussions though. No opinion on SF but I agree with harSon on Microsoft's prospects going forward. I'm still skeptical to see just how much 'always online' will be implemented given the huge backlash but overall it feels like an inevitable path due to the way developers so often frame anti-piracy and sales retention as needing to be backed up by forced measures.

An all-in-one television to that extent is not going to be feasible due to the costs it would take to implement everything. It wouldn't effect top of the line television sets, but low-tier televisions wouldn't be able to make the jump and that's where the majority of television sales are had. I think the fact that Vizio is the top selling television brand in the United States is pretty important to note, and that's due to the fact that it's an affordable brand.

Video Games are a huge part of social culture at this point, and that quality of society is growing increasingly faster with each passing year. Whether consoles are being purchased for one's children or one's self, a video game console in the living space is almost as common as a DVD/Blu Ray player or a Cable Box. And with that in mind, it makes sense to attack this all-in-one issue to the living room from

They're a software company at heart, and they have absolutely no experience with television hardware. I suppose they could team up with someone like Vizio or Samsung and handle the software component of the television, but considering Microsoft is in the business of making money, it makes infinitely more sense to effectively own all levels of their venture. If they do manage to successfully integrate their console platform within the living room, then they're making money on A) Console Sales B) Software Sales C) Peripheral Sales D) Xbox Live subscriptions E) Downloadable Content and Microtransactions F) Their Movie/Music Marketplace G) Business Partnerships etc. I'm not sure how your plan of action would net them anything close to what the Xbox is currently doing, and will grow to do in the future if they continue to grow the venture.

I agree that it'd serve Microsoft well to team up with television manufacturers and integrate Windows/Xbox into their products, but it shouldn't be a means to an end or their primary focus.

Teaming up with a manufacture is exactly what they should do, I should have made that clear. I know they're software company and have spent their entire time in the market providing OS for hardware companies with the exception of the 360 and zune. The Zune doesn't exist anymore and the next xbox is already getting tons of bad press before we know any concrete details.

Take a look at what Samsung and Google are doing currently. They're a few steps away from having something similar to what I was talking about at a reasonable price.

An issue I see with attacking on the console front is once there's a new console the main reason for owning it is gone. Something that doesn't happen with televisions. Once the next xbox is released the 360 will likely be in living rooms longer than xbox/ps2 were because it is a lot more useful than those two but it will be discarded much faster than a TV.

A) Console Sales B) Software Sales C) Peripheral Sales D) Xbox Live subscriptions E) Downloadable Content and Microtransactions F) Their Movie/Music Marketplace G) Business Partnerships

A) TVs are massivley more profitable out of the gate than consoles where companies usually lose money the first few years. Margins on TV sets are insane. B) Software sales wouldn't exist but they wouldn't be taking nearly as big a risk on the hardware end C) again non existant but I doubt MS cares that they're not selling remotes and headsets very much D) Live is one thing that would probably hurt to lose, but I think accomplishing their overall goal is of much more importance E) would still exist on a Smart TV and probably do much better G) would also still exist similarly to how it does currently

For example, stripping down and intergrating a 360 into a mid range HD tv wouldn't cost very much at all and would get those uninterested in gaming or gaming specifically on an Xbox into your ecosystem.

Really all MS would need to do is attach a Super Xbox360 to a TV and it would be cheap and pretty impressive for a TV.

Parallax

like what?

and don't say 4

The alpha series, the 2 series, hell even the ex series. I haven't listened to the music from 4 and super 4 much, but the solar eclipse music is pretty damn good.

I take that back, I mentioned the ex series like its a lesser on the music front when its soundtracks are solid as hell.

DrFunk

The alpha series, the 2 series, hell even the ex series. I haven't listened to the music from 4 and super 4 much, but the solar eclipse music is pretty damn good.

I take that back, I mentioned the ex series like its a lesser on the music front when its soundtracks are solid as hell.

dat Strange Sunset & Spinning Bird

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Dunno what's going to happen with next gen. I hope indies start making hack and slash games. There was a significant decline in them this gen, when compared to PS2 era (that and a lot of other genres...). *sigh*

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro

Lord Jesus!

tumblr_m7knevDLZB1qbmvx0o1_400.gif

I'll take your whooty and raise you a pawg.

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120712/12/4fff22ffd8627.jpg

Who fights Gil? I spent all my arcade time going head to head with other players. I can remember easily Ryu's, Makoto's, Chun Li's, Akuma's, Dudley's and Yun/Yang's.

Y'all dudes have some nostalgia headphones one with some of those earlier games. Though I will give a nod to Alpha 2.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
From bish new thread:

vI5oaBh.jpg

"im lovin' it" LOL

Someone needs to slap an image of the colonel on cap's shield

Parallax

Lord Jesus!

tumblr_m7knevDLZB1qbmvx0o1_400.gif

I'll take your whooty and raise you a pawg.

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120712/12/4fff22ffd8627.jpg

that ass looks fake. like digital.

Who fights Gil? I spent all my arcade time going head to head with other players. I can remember easily Ryu's, Makoto's, Chun Li's, Akuma's, Dudley's and Yun/Yang's.

Y'all dudes have some nostalgia headphones one with some of those earlier games. Though I will give a nod to Alpha 2.

not nostalgia if i can go back, listen and still enjoy it.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I think I'm annoyed by the fact that whomever cleaned up the image, left that annoying white line on the bottom right of the pic... :/

RedSwirl

Darksiders artstyle was hideous. Bayonetta is an awesome game, with a ridiculous artstyle(that compliments it). Dmc sucking doesn't say much about the genre, it's Capcom that's fucking up. They're too enamored with how much more Godlike the West is at almost everything compared to DMC. They seem hellbent on dudebroing everything up, even SF4's characters are ugly roided up white washed charicatures rather than the slightly anime-esque style of SFA(best art style and music in the series bar none, fuck a 3rd strike). They overlooked the fact that what makes DMC great was a very Japanese penache. The game characters movements are like something right out of a Ryuhei Kitamura flick. The combat has always been the strong point and Team Ninja has a very strong disconnect from what makes a good devil may cry-esque action/fighting game. This was evident when they said it would be 30fps. There was no way it was going to be on the level of it's predecessors. The only thing that DMC could hope to do is be a solid action game like God of war/darksiders(I didn't care for darksiders) and work on the areas of the devil may cry 1-4 weren't particularly strong in. The devil may cry lore is a pretty stpid one, so making a more compelling story shouldn't be difficult, also platforming in the previous games was bunk. I've still yet to play dmc. I opted for Metal Gear Rising instead. I think I made the right choice.

Bayonetta IS Devil May Cry 5 as far as I'm concerned.

Onemic

New Generation music > 2nd Impact music > Alpha 2 music > 3rd Strike music > Alpha 3 music

3rd Strike's music is so overrated

I've never played New Generation, 2nd Impact, or Alpha 2, but they would have to be beyond godlike to be better than 3rd Strike.

Since you're naming SF3 titles, I sorta wouldn't be surprised either.

You can't say name a good tune from 3rd strike and then handicap it by saying you can't pick one of its best beats.

And cmon, everyone knows the Alex/ken stage. That stage music is off the chain. Makoto, Yun, Ibuki, Dudley, and Akuma are all extremely memorable and by far one of the best I've heard in a fighting game. Then you got Oro/Sean, Elena and Necro. The only weak stage music out of the bunch is Gill, Urien, Hugo, Remy, and maybe Chun.

so then whats a way to gauge enjoyment?

Nostalgia doesn't interfere with enjoyment. It just makes a person give place more value on certain things.

I view jrpgs with huge nostalgia glasses. Because of that, newer jrpgs never stand up to older ones for me. So even though the genre has advanced and improved in a lot of ways.. it just doesn't do it for me.

DrFunk

I've never played New Generation, 2nd Impact, or Alpha 2, but they would have to be beyond godlike to be better than 3rd Strike.

Since you're naming SF3 titles, I sorta wouldn't be surprised either.

You can't say name a good tune from 3rd strike and then handicap it by saying you can't pick one of its best beats.

And cmon, everyone knows the Alex/ken stage. That stage music is off the chain. Makoto, Yun, Ibuki, Dudley, and Akuma are all extremely memorable and by far one of the best I've heard in a fighting game. Then you got Oro/Sean, Elena and Necro. The only weak stage music out of the bunch is Gill, Urien, Hugo, Remy, and maybe Chun.

Man alive did I kick the hornet's nest today

Still, I can't say that tracks in 3s stand out and blow my mind like earlier titles, especially Alpha 2. And I guess it's a matter of taste (to a degree, Sf4 is lacking).

beats in my head is still uninspired tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom