• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread XX

RedSwirl

That and the mvc:i dlc thread. People saying characters could have easily been on disc. Even though the only thing in data was the models used in story mode. As a programmer, i cant even begin to say how incredibly stupid it would be to rip already established code out of your game to try and "hide" doneness of dlc characters. On top of that, understanding basic game development and how it progresses will tell you that they werent even started until the game was feature complete and optimization and bug fixing begins.

Is some of that stuff just the development that gets done while the discs are being printed?

LionPride

Banned
I fucking hate when people say "Well they're just holding out and they coulda been on disc" or "The developer is so lazy, they just don't care" motherfucker! THAT AIN'T HOW THAT WORKS

Slayven

I fucking hate when people say "Well they're just holding out and they coulda been on disc" or "The developer is so lazy, they just don't care" motherfucker! THAT AIN'T HOW THAT WORKS

Listen once you realized "Oh they are in it to make money", everything makes sense. Companies are not your friend, they will put their bottomline before you every time.

Skittles

Is some of that stuff just the development that gets done while the discs are being printed?
It's more like the artists/others and programmers split off into different groups at a certain point in development (feature complete). The programmers are focusing exclusively on optimizing, bug fixing, and balancing the last 6ish months of development (the last month is manufacturing though). So the artists and such really don't have anything to do on the retail version, so they start working on the DLC. This is so you're not paying people to sit around and it helps get DLC out faster. This is why map packs can come out so fast. So in the case of fighting games you might have the model/animations done, but no programmers available for implementation because they have to focus on actually shipping the game in a good state. So DLC characters won't even really be touched by programmers until the game goes gold.

I think the only time this was ever actually a thing was with SFxT, where the console DLC characters were actually being held back for Vita exclusivity.

RedSwirl

It's more like the artists/others and programmers split off into different groups at a certain point in development (feature complete). The programmers are focusing exclusively on optimizing, bug fixing, and balancing the last 6ish months of development (the last month is manufacturing though). So the artists and such really don't have anything to do on the retail version, so they start working on the DLC. This is so you're not paying people to sit around and it helps get DLC out faster. This is why map packs can come out so fast. So in the case of fighting games you might have the model/animations done, but no programmers available for implementation because they have to focus on actually shipping the game in a good state. So DLC characters won't even really be touched by programmers until the game goes gold.

Basically, there's this period a lot of gamers don't understand, between when a game is "done" and when it ships.

The other discussion I'm talking about though is really a series of discussions that have been going on about difficulty modes and the ability to skip things.

Johndoey

Banned
I think the only time this was ever actually a thing was with SFxT, where the console DLC characters were actually being held back for Vita exclusivity.

Not fighting games but obviously there have been a decent amount of instances of completed on disc content not being available usually because of pre-order stuff.

Not fighting games but obviously there have been a decent amount of instances of completed on disc content not being available usually because of pre-order guff.

Oh I know, but the SFxT situation comes to mind because of how egregious it was. Like, they announced that the DLC would be Vita-exclusive for months before it would be on PS360. It was one of the dumbest things I had heard of by that point in time.

Slayven

Tekken x Street Fight will be lit. I am going to train so i can make it to Evo in that shit. And when i see Beef there I am slapping him

Johndoey

Banned
Oh I know, but the SFxT situation comes to mind because of how egregious it was. Like, they announced that the DLC would be Vita-exclusive for months before it would be on PS360. It was one of the dumbest things I had heard of by that point in time.

I'm way on the outsdie of the FGC so I don't really have an opinion on the game-play, but the hell were they doing with SFxT? It pretty much became a bad joke after a time right?

Faustek

Fabulous, just fabulous. Saw Black-ish and damn. I'm in love all over again.

--

I didn't like the initial roster, didn't like the look of it and the characters who I was looking at where announced as DLC. Meh, don't have time for that.

Shy

Mornin' all.
Evening.
Well, in the life of me, last week one of my best friends OD'd, survived, and then moved to another city without saying goodbye because they don't like goodbyes.

IDipyBr.gif

[inhale]

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Never get tired of this ride.
cmf7hDd.gif

Johndoey

Banned
Wolfenstein is one of the few games I'll probably play on easy, mostly there for the story and being an unchallenged Nazi killing machine is nice and cathartic.

the210

Can someone point me to some R&B groups similar in style to New Edition, Jodeci, Troop, SWV,Silk ? I'm not into neo-soul or jazzy sounding artists and I'm tired of bumping my 90's music.

D i Z

That Battle Royale thirst is real on consoles, folks. So who is going to throw their hats into the ring next after epic? Ubisoft? Treyarch?

It's kind of funny because this was already done in other games. But next I can see one of the COD's, but not many others unless they're smaller studios.

D i Z

Can someone point me to some R&B groups similar in style to New Edition, Jodeci, Troop, SWV,Silk ? I'm not into neo-soul or jazzy sounding artists and I'm tired of bumping my 90's music.

I know a couple of cats in here that can do that. Signal boosting with a quote to help you out.

WTF is wrong with you? I can't help you with that. I know solo artists with that style, but no groups. Groups for R&B is rare in the underground scene and the only two I know of, KING, and OSHUN I don't like and they're not what you're looking for.

Sch1sm

WTF is wrong with you? I can't help you with that. I know solo artists with that style, but no groups. Groups for R&B is rare in the underground scene and the only two I know of, KING, and OSHUN I don't like them and they're not what you're looking for.

He's lost, and neither myself, you, or Feenix can help him with those restrictions. My soul is hurt. No neo-soul? No jazz? My entire listening is that. That's my A1 ish, especially in the blanket genre of Soul/R&B.

Top Bottom