• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Book of Life: Estaba la calavera sentada en su butaca

Status
Not open for further replies.

What's the Book of Life?
The Book of Life is an upcoming american animated film produced by Reel FX Creative Studios and distributed by 20th Century Fox. Directed by Jorge Gutierrez (Mucha Lucha, Chalkzone, the Buzz on Maggie, El Tigre), the film stars the voices of Diego Luna, Zoe Saldana, and Channing Tatum, also Christina Applegate, Ice Cube, Ron Perlman, and Kate del Castillo. It is scheduled to be theatrically released on October 17, 2014.

noche_de_Dia_de_Muertos_en_Janitzio.jpg

Wait, What's this thing with mexicans celebrating death?
Day of the Death (Día de Muertos) it's a national holiday in Mexico and some partes of latinamerica. The celebration takes place on October 31, November 1 and November 2, in this date our ancestors come from the other world to visit us, so we celebrate this date by visting the cementary, building altars with the favorite food and drinks of the deceased. Some traditional elements from this day include but are not limited to sugar skulls, marigolds, pumpkin and camote candies and rugs made with flowers and wood rust.

The Story
Manolo is in love with the beautiful Maria, yet having to battle with the affections of the charming Joaquin, to win her heart, the spirits La Muerte and Xibalba bet on who will win Maria. Xibalba sends a snake to kill Manolo, hoping that will result in Joaquin becoming Maria's lover. Manolo awakes in the Realm of the remember; in order to return to the human world and to Maria, Manolo embarks on an incredible journey that spans three fantastical worlds where he must face his greatest fears armed with only his wits, his guitar, and his two swords.

Characters
thumbnail_19153.jpg

Manolo
Voiced by Diego Luna is a matador (BTW bullfigthing is not nearly as popular in Mexico as it was 100 years ago), as a side note he looks like the current mexican president Enrique Peña Nieto. After his death he has to travel trought the land of the forgotten to return to Maria.

Maria_The_Book_of_LIfe.png

Maria and Chuy
Maria (voiced by Zoe Saldana) is an independent strong woman and she is the center of Joaquin and Manolo's atttentions, but she's too busy trying to defend her land from some bandits. Chuy is a pig, it was a gift from Manolo and follows Maria everywhere.

_1401371723.jpg

Joaquin
Joaquin (Voiced by Channing Tatun) is Manolo's best friend and rival, he uses a traditional militar uniform from the XIX century and is the town's hero due his moustache and medals. He's quite arrogant but not a bad guy at all

Xibalba.jpg

Xibalba
Voiced by Ron Pearlaman, Xilbalba is not a character but a place in the Mayan underworld ruled by 12 gods, it's a dark and scary place. But in the movie Xilbalba is Catrina's ex..... and he's at charge of the Land of the Forgotten a gray and sad place for lost souls.

la_muerte_smile.gif

La muerte/ La Flaca / La Catrina / La negra / La huesuda
Loved by all and voiced by Kate del Castillo, she's at charge of the Land of the remember, a colorful place where the spirits of all the people that are still remembered in Earth "live" .... or something. Anyway She's a nice sweet lady (mostly because she's made of sugar) and helps Manolo on his quest. La catrina was created by José Guadalupe Posada (one of the most famous mexican printmakers) and she's the icon that represents Day of the Dead.

Reviews so far
The Wrap

Variety

Hollywood Reporter

The Upcomming 4/5

Reaaladvice 4/5

My friends and I will probably be seeing this as we all liked the aesthetic, the crew behind this movie and the theme as well.

I love how vibrant and colorful the underworld looks here, everything pops. Looking forward to seeing thiss soon.

DedValve

Banned
I just saw a commercial for this when I was watching korra on nick this morning. It actually looks really interesting, I'm a sucker for any type of Catrina representation. Catrina is such a killer design in almost anything. The colors are so beautiful!

El Tigre was a very fun show, guess I'm gonna have to watch this. Helps that the movie's visuals reminds me of Puppeteer, which needs to be mentioned, was a fun and gorgeous lil platformer.

This looks gorgeous though I'm not sure I wouldn't rather replay Grim Fandango and go see Birdman. Will keep an eye on this at the very least, have mostly enjoyed the aesthetic aspects of the trailers.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's coming out in the 16th here, I can't wait!

I don't generally rely on reviews, but what's up with its score being 60-ish?

Koppai

After seeing the boringness that was The Boxtrolls I have my reservations about seeing another 3D childrens movie in the theater.

After seeing the boringness that was The Boxtrolls I have my reservations about seeing another 3D childrens movie in the theater.

This movie is going to be a 95 minute visual feast in a criminally under-utilized setting inclusive of a culture that is more used to getting stereotyped in animation than presented with some degree of respectful flavor.

But hey if you don't like that because 3D children's movie then ok.

El Odio

Banned
Been looking forward to this since the first trailer. Happy to see that reviews are good since me and the gf plan on seeing it on Friday.

Boss Doggie

This movie is going to be a 95 minute visual feast in a criminally under-utilized setting inclusive of a culture that is more used to getting stereotyped in animation than presented with some degree of respectful flavor.

But hey if you don't like that because 3D children's movie then ok.

I blame the commercials. People should always remember that trailers, especially for animated films, tend to be crap.

Blizzard

Banned
I loved Guacamelee -and- I plan to see this movie. I have yet to play Grim Fandango though. I would love if it came out on Steam or GoG some day.

I haven't seen any recommendations yet about whether 3D is worth it on The Book of Life. I'm planning to see it tomorrow night, and I'm currently leaning towards 3D. Boxtrolls was fine in 2D.

I just got back from seeing this in 3D. I found it to be very enjoyable. The art was fantastic and the story was heartwarming. I found it fun that the voice artists were a who's who of Mexican/Latino actors. I recognized a lot of them.

Drago

I get a huge El Tigre vibe from the movie and character designs which makes total sense given the director. Loved that show and the visuals. :)

I may end up seeing this but the commercials/trailers haven't really sold me. Movie looks absolutely gorgeous though!

Blizzard

Banned
I saw Boxtrolls as well, and did not like it as much as Coraline.

I think I liked The Book of Life better, and would say it is overall a pretty good movie! I just saw it on release night at 9:30 in 3D, and was THE ONLY PERSON in the entire theater. I'm not sure that has ever happened before, even on latenight showings. Naturally that meant I got to sit in the center spot for optimal 3D viewing, so that was cool.

I like happy movies, but this was perhaps a bit TOO saccharine in parts. Other than that, it was enjoyable. Catchy music, and highly varied -- pop music to classical. The visual design was of course well done, with the detail of the paintings on the wooden figures, the exaggerated doll-like movement when they would ragdoll, and so forth.

The voice acting was also pretty good all-around. I especially liked Maria's actress.

Overall I think what stuck with me was that the movie had "spirit" or "heart" in some sense. For a movie so focused on the day of the dead, it felt like it celebrated life and how one can live it.

not really. source: I'm teh mexican.
Yo tambien y perdoname pero estoy en desacuerdo contigo. Tambien disfruto Guacameele pero el diseno del juego no es mas que una fraccion del trasfondo cultural de este pais.

Y si, este pais tendra muchas cosas malas y estara para tirarse a los perros. Pero tradiciones como el dia de muertos permiten ver aspectos positivos de Mexico.

sgossard

Yo tambien y perdoname pero estoy en desacuerdo contigo. Tambien disfruto Guacameele pero el diseno del juego no es mas que una fraccion del trasfondo cultural de este pais.

Y si, este pais tendra muchas cosas malas y estara para tirarse a los perros. Pero tradiciones como el dia de muertos permiten ver aspectos positivos de Mexico.

Está bien compadre, no pasa nada. Pero creo que precisamente el problema es ese, el día de muertos está chido, pero tampoco representa la globalidad de la "cultura mexicana". No la he visto pero te podría apostar que mencionan la palabra "taco" al menos una vez.

El día que de México salga una película y no una "película mexicana" recuperaré mi fe en el cine nacional.

El día que de México salga una película y no una "película mexicana" recuperaré mi fe en el cine nacional.
Eso va para largo, el problema es que seguimos pensando en "el cine nacional" como un apostolado y no una industria. Casi todas las peliculas son financiadas por IMCINE y/o algun estado. Y por lo tanto hay pocos incentivos para hacer otros generos o cintas que no tengan de trasfondo algun elemento historico o cultural.

Se ocupa gente que le meta dinero a esto y le de mas control a las ideas frescas, pero eso parece que no a suceder en un futuro proximo. (Tampoco ayuda que a la salida del cine te vendan el DVD pirata)

Blizzard

Banned
I will readily confess I am largely ignorant of Mexican culture and history.

I did like how in the movie, everyone knows that Mexico is the center of the world (and this town was the center of Mexico). The entire country has an enormous mustache on the globe.

zruben

Banned
Está bien compadre, no pasa nada. Pero creo que precisamente el problema es ese, el día de muertos está chido, pero tampoco representa la globalidad de la "cultura mexicana". No la he visto pero te podría apostar que mencionan la palabra "taco" al menos una vez.

pregunta honesta: No consideras a "Amores Perros", "Post Tenebras Lux", "Heli", "Después de Lucía", o "Matando Cabos", como buenas películas que se salen de ese molde de "película mexicana"?

Wanderer5

I wasn't really expecting much, but overall I quite enjoyed it (more so than boxtrolls, that was pretty boring). The style and design of this movie is soooooo good, definitely one of more better looking 3D animated feature. The wooden toy look is pretty neat, and land of remembrance especially is just so wonderful to look at (too bad it wasn't a shown a whole lot through).

El Odio

Banned
Saw this tonight and man did I love it. The art direction was absolutely fantastic and I really enjoyed the humor in it. All the characters, especially the bandits, had great design all around. The message of the film not being shoved in your face was a nice plus as well.

I saw this movie earlier today. I thought it was good, but not great. Felt too predictable and not all of the jokes exactly worked.

Visually, though, it was gorgeous, and the movie's versions of "I Will Wait" and "Creep" were pretty great.

BDGAME

I saw it yesterday. One of the best animated movies of the year. This movie will dispute with Lego the movie for the Oscar of best animation.

Its very funny too and don't get boring in any time. I like the characters and story too. And everything is so pretty!

Everybody that like good animation movies needs to watch it!

Film delivered. Had something for everyone. The adults in the audience recognized 'Creep' immediately and laughed like crazy. The Land of the Remembered is a beautiful work of art and really should be appreciated on the big screen. The designs for everything from the bulls to the piglets were inspired.

Definitely picking this one up on blu ray.

Boss Doggie

Really visually great and the story ain't so bad too. With that said the "female who need no man" bit can get a bit too noticeable.

With that said I don't really enjoy modern songs being used here - it feels so out of place even if remixed to match the atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom