• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Book of Life: Estaba la calavera sentada en su butaca

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you guys recommend it in 3D or not?
For the Land of the Remembered yes, but that happens almost at the middle of the movie. The land of the remembered is like the Mexican version of the Heaven in What dreams may Come..... but with tons of colors and all your family waiting there.

kaioshade

Saw it yesterday with the SO. I did not have much knowledge or hype going into the movie, but i really enjoyed it. the characters were charming and endearing, and as others have said, the movie is just stylish as hell. The toy aesthetic is perfect and fits the mood wonderfully. Definitely adding it to my blu ray collection.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
For the Land of the Remembered yes, but that happens almost at the middle of the movie. The land of the remembered is like the Mexican version of the Heaven in What dreams may Come..... but with tons of colors and all your family waiting there.

I watched it in 3D and yeah I agree the visuals are amazing.

Great movie. It deserves a bigger audience. My audience was 99% Latino so I think it scared off some kids of other races due to the story behind it.

Bulzeeb

I kinda want to go and see this movie but I am not sure, I am in love with the design and art direction but the story looks generic

I absolutely loved this! I went with a friend and we kept wishing we had seen it in 3D just to fully appreciate some of the locations, particularly the Land of the Remembered.
Great voicework and utterly spectacular visuals with an above-average story and fun songs.
Definitely gonna grab the artbook for this.

wwm0nkey

Reminded me of Black VelvetopiaVelvetopia when I first saw it but I'm going to see it because it does look legitimatlegitimately good.

Chairhome

I thought it was decent, but could have been better. My kids liked it well enough, but the songs weren't great. I was hoping for more latino renditions of pop songs (Creep was pretty good). The visuals were nice, too. In the end, it just didn't seem that special to me.

Oh yeah Ice Cube really feels... out of place.
It was worth it for the eye-rolling but made me laugh final line
Today was a good day... of the dead. Yay-yaeeeey!

Easter eggs.
tumblr_ndnyt4UAve1rea227o1_1280.jpg

That shoot lasted for a few seconds so I didn't notice at first.

woodland

Man, went to see this tonight and loved it, hope it does well. Normally I don't love excessive music in movies, but thought it had a place in this one. The scenery and designs were fantastic, the only parts I didn't like being the last song
(after the wedding)
and the last fight (most of it).

Everything else was phenomenal though. They found the perfect voice with Perlman as Xibalba.

BDGAME

I kinda want to go and see this movie but I am not sure, I am in love with the design and art direction but the story looks generic

Please, go watch it. Like I say, its the only animated movie that can compete with Lego the movie for the oscar this year.

Book of life deserve more viewers. A lot more!

Dalek

I thought this was visually one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen.

Script wise it was pretty bad. I wonder if there was studio meddling involved because I felt the overall story and characters were good, but it was peppered with too many lame "jokes" in the middle of otherwise good scenes. I call those "Dreamworks" jokes since they riddle those movies. Stunt casting with Ice Cube as the wacky comic relief was highly irritating as well as the stupid and annoying Marriachi Band singing Biz Markie.

I thought the other song choices worked great, especially Creep. I appreciated the very progressive and modern view towards bullfighting and that Maria's character wasn't simply a damsel in distress.

Again I can't state how much I loved the visual design of the world and characters. Gorgeous film, I just wished someone could have ironed out the "wacky trailer moments" from the screenplay and made it perfect.

Script wise it was pretty bad. I wonder if there was studio meddling involved because I felt the overall story and characters were good, but it was peppered with too many lame "jokes" in the middle of otherwise good scenes. I call those "Dreamworks" jokes since they riddle those movies. Stunt casting with Ice Cube as the wacky comic relief was highly irritating as well as the stupid and annoying Marriachi Band singing Biz Markie.
The studio behind this movie was the same that made "Free Birds" and "The nut job", basically the story on this movie is a wast improvement over their last 2 films.

Dalek

The studio behind this movie was the same that made "Free Birds" and "The nut job", basically the story on this movie is a wast improvement over their last 2 films.

I'd say that shows. Those films are indicative of the type of humor I was referring to. It's like they finally had something good to work with and the powers that be couldn't help but shit it up.

wwm0nkey

Saw it last night with my gf, we both loved it.

It was weird though, not sure if it was the tiny amounts of alcohol we had but some parts when they did close ups looked damn near stop motion rather than CGI.

Overall I really liked the movie!

Anyone think it's worth it to go see this in theaters or wait until it's on DVD/Bluray?
Theaters if you enjoy good animation flicks.

Saw this tonight and man did I love it. The art direction was absolutely fantastic and I really enjoyed the humor in it. All the characters, especially the bandits, had great design all around. The message of the film not being shoved in your face was a nice plus as well.

Oh yeah Ice Cube really feels... out of place.

Ditto on all of the above. My only gripes about it:

1. "tacos" made an appearance... come oooooon :/
2. "la cucaracha" made an appearance... ugh
3. Modern english song covers. Just a personal dislike, but I get why they went with it. That said, the original songs really stuck out. Aside from the english song covers (...just happen to not like any of them), the score seemed spot on.
4. Thinking they went with Ice Cube because he would draw in a larger family crowd than their other choices: Danny Trejo, Gabriel Iglesias, Eugenio Derbez, Cheech. Out of all, Iglesias would've likely been able to pull off being the cloud beard guy.

Boss Doggie

I honestly wonder why they weren't able to get original composition. Would've been really good if they could come up with their own songs.

Script wise it was pretty bad. I wonder if there was studio meddling involved because I felt the overall story and characters were good, but it was peppered with too many lame "jokes" in the middle of otherwise good scenes. I call those "Dreamworks" jokes since they riddle those movies.

Hey now. DW stopped doing that since KFP. Hell, those only existed during the Dark Age of Dreamworks (as in, around Bee Movie/Shark Tale/Shrek 3).

Ultima_5

Im dissappointed that the best parts of the movie (when he died) was like 10 mins long and nothing happened there. The music was bad too. Felt they lost some of the budget half way through

Kamek

Loved the movie up until the Candle Maker got all weird and shit. Felt SO out of place. Like a shitty version of Genie.

Koppai

Well I finally saw it the other night. Definitely a more interesting film then other animated movies that I have seen. Stuff that annoyed me was the American music that they tried to give an acoustic or Latin vibe, like they tried to whitewash it. I did enjoy the movie somewhat and could see myself watching it again. It was a gorgeous movie however.

Blizzard

Banned
Ditto on all of the above. My only gripes about it:

1. "tacos" made an appearance... come oooooon :/

LOL, called it.

Are you referring to the little kids in the real world? That was the only mention of tacos I remembered (the line is:
taco Tuesday?
) and if anything, that seemed like a joke, possibly referencing another movie, and illustrating the children's naive view of Mexico.

Of course, Mexico itself was the center of the world, wearing a giant mustache, and there's a dead guy who loves churros, but I thought all of those things were more memorable than one person saying tacos. :p

Now if there WAS someone else mentioning tacos, I apologize for forgetting it, and ask to be corrected!

Boss Doggie

I'm kinda miffed that the
death of the father and grandmother
weren't really shown with mourning. I mean, I know the context, but still...

Something in the movie felt a bit off for me. I wasn't hooked and didn't care for any of the characters in general. I think the execution of jokes and the pacing is a bit bad too. I enjoyed it nonetheless given the problems I mentioned above.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm kinda miffed that the
death of the father and grandmother
weren't really shown with mourning. I mean, I know the context, but still...

Maybe, but (BIG SPOILERS):

The grandmother was hilarious in general. "I was a beast. A BEAST!"

And then they ask why she's down there too. "Cholesterol. *keeps knitting*"

Easter eggs.
tumblr_ndnyt4UAve1rea227o1_1280.jpg

That shoot lasted for a few seconds so I didn't notice at first.

AHA! I knew El Tigre characters were in it when I saw the trademark for it in the credits (said that of course Viacom owned them). As I never saw the show I never caught them, and I saw no mention upon Googling any appearances.

Anyway, I ADORED the movie, almost everything clicked, definitely among the best this year. Was blown away by it!

Klyka

Banned
I saw this today and absolutely loved it!

The movie was charming, beautiful, wonderful, colorful and just FUN.
The voice actors all seemed to love their roles and it just all fit perfectly together.

What a gem of an animated movie!

Is this movie set in some period between 1900 and 1950? Otherwise, I'd be slightly offended and avoid watching it.

Seriously, there have not been towns that look like that since the 60's in Mexico.... even less cities.

Jopie

Is this movie set in some period between 1900 and 1950? Otherwise, I'd be slightly offended and avoid watching it.

Seriously, there have not been towns that look like that since the 60's in Mexico.... even less cities.

It is told as a "history lesson".

Klyka

Banned

It is set in a factional, fantastical "history" told by a fictional character that starts the story with "mexico is the center of the universe and in the center of Mexico is this little town shaped like a guitar".

It's impossible to get offended by this movie.

It's wonderful.

Se supone que en alguna parte del pasado, es un mundo sin celulares, computadoras y no recuerdo haber visto siquiera una televisión en la película. Y todavía quedan algunos cuantos lugares con ese estilo, Malinalco conserva parte de esa arquitectura, partes de Guachinango, Patzcuaro, Tapalpa, Cuetzalan y hasta Rayones tienen ese estilo de casas. No le veo lo ofensivo, es más el estilo arquitectónico es mucho más hermoso que este tipo de aberraciones.
infonavit_creditos-movil.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom