• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Car Thread

Celcius

°Temp. member
Let's talk about cars, GAF.
Whether it's your current car, a dream car, new cars getting announced, a project car you're fixing up, or anything in between.

If you were to ask me which is the best looking overall car of all time, I'd say possibly the Pagani Huayra?

1200x-1.jpg

Used-2017-Pagani-Huayra-Roadster-Roadster.jpg

However, I've also always loved the look of Nissan Skylines / GT-R's and Porsches in general. The AMG GT R and 2nd gen Dodge Viper are on the list for me as well. It's probably too hard to just pick only one. I currently just drive a Toyota Camry but I'd like to try something different someday.

Anyone else into cars here?

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Yeah, I like cars. Not as much as I used too because its an expensive hobby and I dont really feel it's worth it now Im getting older. Doesn't help I live in Holland. Driving a Skoda now, could be something else next year lol.

Chozoldman

Banned
I don't know, guys. Those cars are nice, but you really can't beat the 2006 Honda Civic if you're looking to turn heads.

I've always been a fan of El Caminos for some reason. Just always like their shape and silhouette. Would also love a conversion van or old VW bus.

I'm not really into exotic or super cars. I wouldn't trust myself to drive such a powerful piece of engineering.

Phobos Base

Currently have an E Class Coupe but I am shopping for a new car, however as I'm very picky about model, spec and colour it's taking a while. Looking for something interesting but with fairly reasonable running costs, current front runners being a GT86/BRZ or a Focus ST3 estate. However, since the pandemic and chip shortage the used car market has gone crazy. the same car is worth more now than before it started. Used to be over here we'd have steep depreciation meaning you could buy all sort of really interesting stuff for very little, now even £10k just leaves you a choice of low spec, high mileage boring cars.

me/wife have a 2013 fiesta st 1.6 turbo, cant fault it great drive mapped to 250-260 i think, alot of fun to throw around....and a vauxhall vivaro van because mountain bikes and once you own a van you never go back.

dream car...i have a few...mk2 focus rs/mk3 focus rs/nissan skylines r32/r33/r34 gtr...ferrari f40.

although im not really into supercars much.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
1989%252520Toyota%252520Camry%252520Magazine%252520advertisement%252520-%252520Car.jpg

Cars are like characters or chapters in your life, I remember the 89’ Camry.

2001-Pontiac-Grand%20Am-FrontSide_POGAMSE001_505x375.jpg

There was a vibe to pontiacs.

In winter climates you have to have all season tires, drive smart etc.

I could go on forever.

Last edited:

bart simpson

Neo Member
dream truck would be Tacoma, such a perfect truck. was trying to get one last year but with the gas prices going crazy and used car prices I didn't :(

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I'm not a big car guy, but I love me some Toyota. What do you guys think about bothering Crown coming stateside

Rival

Gold Member
I want an Audi RS5 so much but once I have the money to buy one there is zero chance I would actually spend that much on a car even the S5 is more than I would actually pay. I hate being rational.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Not into cars as you prolly are but this popped up in my recommendations this very early morning.

I want an Audi RS5 so much but once I have the money to buy one there is zero chance I would actually spend that much on a car even the S5 is more than I would actually pay. I hate being rational.
Can I ask what the appeal is with Audis? I'm not having a go or trying to start a war because we all have different tastes in cars but I just don't get why people like them so much. To me they are very competent but they're almost too good to have any real character.

Hard to say which is my favourite car as I got so many lol but I can tell you the next car I would like to own and that is a Lexus ISF.
I'd like to get an ISF in future and turn it into a full on track car. That means dumping the rear seats and any other unnecessary items, wide wheels with grippy tires, roll cage, stiffer sway bars etc.

This is my current car and I don't think I'll ever sell it. I got SunTek Carbon Tints installed and did a full wax after performing a paint prep with clay bar, iron remover and bug/tar remover:
Bought a dual action machine polisher yesterday so going to do paint correction sometime soon and apply some ceramic coating. Really enjoy detailing nowadays.

329625508_744142953588093_589477844146569404_n.jpg

329466694_919632355735368_902678419118119011_n.jpg

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
Can I ask what the appeal is with Audis? I'm not having a go or trying to start a war because we all have different tastes in cars but I just don't get why people like them so much. To me they are very competent but they're almost too good to have any real character.
I can see your point in the lesser trims but something about the RS just pushes my buttons. In fairness I’ve never driven them but I can’t stand the look of most BMW’s.

I don't know anything about the engines, internals, etc, but I've always admired the beauty of car design and the promise of a fun time in one that drives well. My favorite are the wedge shaped concept cars of the 70s, but I'm looking forward to where future design takes us. There's been a lot of visually wild concept cars in recent years:

Hyundai N Vision 74 is a hydrogen electric hybrid sports car that lets you relive your Back to the Future fantasies without the shitty reliability and performance of a Delorean.

Audi Skysphere incorporates a lot of tech Audi wants to try in potential future cars, but the coolest feature is how it can change length depending on driving modes! Also beautifully shaped.

BMW Vision Next 100 is probably the most insane featured concept I've ever seen. It's got interior/exterior with morphing scales?? in place of traditional lights inside and out. This is some Deus Ex shit.

Rolls Royce Vision 103EX doesn't seem to have many special tech features, but damn if it doesn't look like the stuff of Syd Mead dreams, like something from Cyberpunk or Elysium.

In the more near future, Dodge is giving us an all electric Charger that's (finally) 2 doors. Love the looks, hope they have to figure out how to get the engine notes down right.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I'm planning to buy the newest generation CR-V at some point, probably not until the car market settles down. There's no way in hell I'm paying over MSRP.

I've researched it a lot. I'll be going for one of the two hybrid trims, probably the Sport.

2023_honda_cr-v_4dr-suv_sport-hybrid_fq_oem_1_600.jpg

GladiusFrog

'99 Eclipse GSX

My first car. (NOT MY ACTUAL CAR, BUT LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE IT, SAME WHEELS, EXUAST, COLOR, INTERIOR, YEAR AND GAUGE CLUSTER)
Only difference really is the fact my rear turn signals weren't yellow but red like the brake lights. (This may be a Canadian DSM if I'm not mistaken)
q1wzjxfek0p11.jpg

AWD 4g63T. (Turbo). Evo 3 Intake Manifold, and Big 16g Turbo. Racing Built Automatic transmission (Not boost loss on shift) Rebuilt the motor for further HP.

Was a real beast, and also a bitch to maintain. Very unreliable, But I have no regrets.

My dream cars are also retro and use to be affordable.. but no longer, as they are legendary now:

Toyota Supra
1997_toyota_supra_158142853365ef66e7dff9f98761997_toyota_supra_1581428532d565ef66e7dff9f0a0a4cdf-f25a-4c25-a3eb-6ef64f5089d1-Vec8EU.jpg

E30 M3
gbzkgzzesy3faxtqwtxi

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
My Camry is 13 years old. Just got my steering wheel squeak fixed and now my driver’s door has a rattle. Feels like I’m playing whack a mole. Would be nice to get something newer but this only has 133k miles. I just wish the interior quality was better. Seems like it got much better starting with the generation after this.

chromhound

My Camry is 13 years old. Just got my steering wheel squeak fixed and now my driver’s door has a rattle. Feels like I’m playing whack a mole. Would be nice to get something newer but this only has 133k miles. I just wish the interior quality was better. Seems like it got much better starting with the generation after this.
She's still young. But the interest rate are crazy..

Last edited:

The Stig

Hi all.

Im big into cars in general.

I have a 89 Toyota Supra Turbo that I bought in 06 and have been slowly restoring with a mechanic friend ever since. When I got it it didnt run, was white, auto, the windows didnt work, the A/C didnt work (this was in GA, BTW) and a bunch of other shit was wrong with it.

It is now black, 5 speed, everything works and its pushing out 450 ish BHP. (the wheels have changed since, this pic was from right after it was painted many years ago)
changeoil.jpg

My daily driver since 2007 is a 2002 BMW M5. For those in the know it's a fucking awesome car in every way. Except when something breaks.
1934389-110571623353-3752158-n.jpg

Soltype

Hi all.

Im big into cars in general.

I have a 89 Toyota Supra Turbo that I bought in 06 and have been slowly restoring with a mechanic friend ever since. When I got it it didnt run, was white, auto, the windows didnt work, the A/C didnt work (this was in GA, BTW) and a bunch of other shit was wrong with it.

It is now black, 5 speed, everything works and its pushing out 450 ish BHP. (the wheels have changed since, this pic was from right after it was painted many years ago)
changeoil.jpg

My daily driver since 2007 is a 2002 BMW M5. For those in the know it's a fucking awesome car in every way. Except when something breaks.
1934389-110571623353-3752158-n.jpg
Beautiful cars, that and z8 were last BMWs I really wanted.Knew a guy around town that had the same E39, he said the same thing.He had some bad timing issues, but he said he's never getting rid of it.

Ballthyrm

My dream car is a Gordon Murray Automotive T50

Cars are dumb, and I work in the auto industry.

waste of money

They are like horses. Beautiful to look at, cool to show of, great to take out once in a while.
But speaking as a European if you are using one to get to work everyday you are doing it wrong.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

Sadly I doubt I'll ever get my version of a dream car and my job involves driving many new models of car that do little for me but what I have done since covid hit is buy myself a city car commuter for work and service/maintain it myself as much as possible which I'm really enjoying doing.

I reckon when I do the ARB drop links in the next month or so I'll have saved myself upwards of a £1000 over dealer prices for just a full service, front discs & pads and drop links.

Anyone else do any maintenance on their car(s)?

The Stig

Beautiful cars, that and z8 were last BMWs I really wanted.Knew a guy around town that had the same E39, he said the same thing.He had some bad timing issues, but he said he's never getting rid of it.
interesting you mention the Z8. It is the only car other than the E39 M5 to get the godly S62 motor.

The Stig

Probably my favorite car when I was a kid: Mitsubishi Starion

1920px-1988_Mitsubishi_Starion_Turbo_2.0_Front_%281%29.jpg
its not confirmed but apparently mitsubishi wanted it to be called the stallion but the japanese guy telling the european marketing people the name couldnt pronounce it right. hence...... starion

Soltype

interesting you mention the Z8. It is the only car other than the E39 M5 to get the godly S62 motor.
I remember reading about it high school and then never seeing one in person.Saw Z3/4 all the time, but never the 8.
Sadly I doubt I'll ever get my version of a dream car and my job involves driving many new models of car that do little for me but what I have done since covid hit is buy myself a city car commuter for work and service/maintain it myself as much as possible which I'm really enjoying doing.

I reckon when I do the ARB drop links in the next month or so I'll have saved myself upwards of a £1000 over dealer prices for just a full service, front discs & pads and drop links.

Anyone else do any maintenance on their car(s)?
Always done car work myself, it started out of necessity, now I prefer it.The only thing I can't do myself is tuning. Don't know what newer cars are like to work on though, I bought a new STI because it was still mechanically dated.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I really really really want a porsche, one of these beauties...
upLhvXI.jpg

but I don't think I'll ever be able to swallow 100+grand in a car.

Can I settle for this?
w0zeOS1.jpg

I drive a WRX at the moment due to the need for a back seat for the kids but daaaaaaamn do I want a 2 seater roadster with juice.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I think that with savings of 2 or 3 years I can get one of these cars.

NSX
Honda%20NSX%20%2810%29.jpg

R-TYPE

NAZ_9073764f2cb94a92929740da0dd5ce1e.jpg

PORSCHE

902a1a3d83ced51a2e63ec357ffca7ff.jpg

1297920_1.jpg

Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder​

corvette v8 stingray

2023-Chevrolet-Corvette-Z06-coupe-orange-1001x565-1_0.jpg

I want a Honda or a sports car.

As a fun fact, I hate the Nissan March and any Renault car.

Last edited:
Top Bottom