• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Car Thread

Nvzman

that bmw at the bottom is hideous
I'm gonna be real here chief, the toyota crown looks fucking hideous too. I'm not a JDM guy much at all, the new lexus and toyota cars all look fucking abysmally ugly with the extreme amounts of black accents all over the body. I honestly think the only JDM manufacturer making decent looking cars at this point is Honda.

Actually in general, I think Dodge is basically the last manufacturer left making genuinely great looking cars
2020-dodge-charger-scat-pack-widebody_100765133.jpg

IMG_9298.jpg

Even the new Daytona concept vehicle (with Dodge their concepts usually end up being fairly close to the production car, at least in the last 20 years) looks jaw-droppingly good, I was fortunate enough to see one in the flesh:
dodge-charger-daytona-srt-concept.jpg

dodge-charger-daytona-srt-concept-109-1660757053.jpg

This might be a little off topic. Im not opposed to electric cars but why do they all have to have that aesthetic
Internal combustion engine going the way of the dodo
Manufacturers having some creative freedom because of the above
Flexability in packaging of battery packs
Effeciency in aerodynamics (KM range of the battery pack is now the new HP wars)

i mean there can be a whole host of other design changes and manufacturing processes that affects automotive design.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Internal combustion engine going the way of the dodo
Manufacturers having some creative freedom because of the above
Flexability in packaging of battery packs
Effeciency in aerodynamics (KM range of the battery pack is now the new HP wars)

i mean there can be a whole host of other design changes and manufacturing processes that affects automotive design.
I don't want an electric car that looks like an electric car. The lights and grill are always a giveaway.

I'm gonna be real here chief, the toyota crown looks fucking hideous too. I'm not a JDM guy much at all, the new lexus and toyota cars all look fucking abysmally ugly with the extreme amounts of black accents all over the body. I honestly think the only JDM manufacturer making decent looking cars at this point is Honda.

Actually in general, I think Dodge is basically the last manufacturer left making genuinely great looking cars
2020-dodge-charger-scat-pack-widebody_100765133.jpg

IMG_9298.jpg

Even the new Daytona concept vehicle (with Dodge their concepts usually end up being fairly close to the production car, at least in the last 20 years) looks jaw-droppingly good, I was fortunate enough to see one in the flesh:
dodge-charger-daytona-srt-concept.jpg

dodge-charger-daytona-srt-concept-109-1660757053.jpg

Couldn't agree more. Dodge seem to be the only company that 'get' car design. The rest seem to be try to make things that partly look like toys and partly like something vaguely futuristic. I can't think of anything else that currently looks good, outside of supercars.

BlackTron

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way...most good cars don't even look as cool as a mid tier car used to look. Of course there are exceptions, for example I was shocked at how much I like the newer Nissan Sentra design, but it feels like dogshit to drive. I love Toyotas but they were kinda bland in the past and now it's like they got the same guy who designs Walmart gaming mice. It helps if they are a dark color that blends in all the black areas.

Seems there are few options to get both performance and a cool body style in the same car even if you have 60k. You gotta settle on something or get an INSANE car....or an older car :messenger_sunglasses:

The Stig

Hi all,

I love cars, it was indeed inspired by the first Gran Turismo game.

While Ive been driving for 20 years now Ive only ever owned 2 cars and I still do.

89 Toyota Supra Turbo (bought in 2006)

I got this when I first got to America for super cheap. It didnt start, it was auto, white, and when it did finally start had a boost leak and nothing electric worked.

It is now Black, 5 speed and EVERYTHING works. Oh and it churns out over 300BHP

It took my best friend (a mechanic!) and me nearly 10 years of on and off work:
changeoil.jpg
Then my 2nd car I got in 2007. 2002 BMW M5

Been driving it every day since (184000 miles so far!). Have done all the maintenance on it apart from a couple of horrible electronic gremlins that have popped up over the years.

I'm very tempted to talk about the AMAZING engine that was only in this car and the Z8 but I'll just leave it at:

Naturally Aspirated, 5 liters, 400BHP, 6 speed GETRAG trans., Limited slip diff. 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and a top speed of very very fast (ive taken it to speeds you wouldnt believe, and I wont admit, even online)

Also, it DOESNT HAVE iDRIVE!
1934389-110571623353-3752158-n.jpg

I am interested in all sorts of cars for all reasons. I could talk about F1 all day as much as I could talk trucks and off-roading.

Like an earlier poster said, if I could, Id be Jay Leno. If I had his garage and his youtube show I'd literally be living ALL MY BEST LIVES.

Also my interest in cars was very much inspired by Top Gear (I used to watch it when Tiff Needell and Quentin Wilson were on it!). Anyway, that's my brain dump on cars. Look forward to chatting more cars here.

Last edited:

lem0n

Hi all,

I love cars, it was indeed inspired by the first Gran Turismo game.

While Ive been driving for 20 years now Ive only ever owned 2 cars and I still do.

89 Toyota Supra Turbo (bought in 2006)

I got this when I first got to America for super cheap. It didnt start, it was auto, white, and when it did finally start had a boost leak and nothing electric worked.

It is now Black, 5 speed and EVERYTHING works. Oh and it churns out over 300BHP

It took my best friend (a mechanic!) and me nearly 10 years of on and off work:
changeoil.jpg
Then my 2nd car I got in 2007. 2002 BMW M5

Been driving it every day since (184000 miles so far!). Have done all the maintenance on it apart from a couple of horrible electronic gremlins that have popped up over the years.

I'm very tempted to talk about the AMAZING engine that was only in this car and the Z8 but I'll just leave it at:

Naturally Aspirated, 5 liters, 400BHP, 6 speed GETRAG trans., Limited slip diff. 0-60 in 4.5 seconds and a top speed of very very fast (ive taken it to speeds you wouldnt believe, and I wont admit, even online)

1934389-110571623353-3752158-n.jpg

I am interested in all sorts of cars for all reasons. I could talk about F1 all day as much as I could talk trucks and off-roading.

Like an earlier poster said, if I could, Id be Jay Leno. If I had his garage and his youtube show I'd literally be living ALL MY BEST LIVES.

Also my interest in cars was very much inspired by Top Gear (I used to watch it when Tiff Needell and Quentin Wilson were on it!). Anyway, that's my brain dump on cars. Look forward to chatting more cars here.
Anyone brave enough to daily an E39 M5 has my everlasting respect. One of my dream cars!

The Stig

I have a billion dream cars but here are a few:

Ferrari 355.

There are faster ferraris but this is my favorite looking. gorgeous. Also I'm pretty sure I can change the oil on it myself.
645a61da13b86f00229a6d9f-f355tofmmain1-1250x700.jpg
However it MUST have the gated 6 speed transmission, not that awful paddle shit
h9bay8v8sbd61.jpg

Ferrari f40

cos duh
1991-ferrari-f40-103-1593201414.jpg

As for Lamborghini, there are several but for me it's the Diablo GT. When the Diablo started life Lambo were still very much the insane lambo people get all misty-eyed about. But Audi came along during the Diablo's life and improved everything. The GT was a mix of Lambo's insanity and Audi's sensibleness.
1999-Lamborghini-Diablo-GT3.jpg
V12, 6 speed and it's actually somewhat reliable, and has some handling. Also the A/C isnt shit. Also it's gorgeous

Also the Lexus LFA. Everything about this is amazing. An engineer's car made by and for engineers. Everything is insane about it. But mainly for me it's that one of a kind engine:
vol-15-lexus-lfa-lead-1-1676071477.jpg

Last edited:

lachesis

I'm pretty humble guy, and cars are mostly for just getting from point A to B.... but if there's a dream car - it's 1996 Miata M edition, all in stock condition.

lem0n

the key is having a short commute! its also reliable as hell.
Glad to hear yours has been good! I know I've heard some horror stories behind E39 M5 ownership. Typically it's costs of parts and repairs, rather than something like consumable rod bearings like you find in the S85, hah.

Also in response to your dream car list, all top tier stuff. F40 and LFA Nurburgring Edition both sit in my personal Top 10. Carrera GT is my #1 though, has been since it came out. Porsche just got it right.

The Stig

Glad to hear yours has been good! I know I've heard some horror stories behind E39 M5 ownership. Typically it's costs of parts and repairs, rather than something like consumable rod bearings like you find in the S85, hah.

Also in response to your dream car list, all top tier stuff. F40 and LFA Nurburgring Edition both sit in my personal Top 10. Carrera GT is my #1 though, has been since it came out. Porsche just got it right.
good call on the carrera GT. amazing car for so many reasons.

though part of me thinks there is something wrong with it. I remember reading a few years ago (after paul walker's death) that of the 1200 cars made a quarter of them had been destroyed through crashing. that's like really bad.

still it'd be in the porsche wing of my dream garage for sure.

others would be GT1 Straßenversion
porsche-911-gt1.jpg

Porsche carrera 2.7rs

I know Porsche lovers might crucify me for it but I'd paint it black.
art-vin-porsche911-27rs-9113600017d.jpg

911 turbo (930) 3.3 with slant nose
One of the most badass 911 turbos ever made PLUS popup headlights!
1989-porsche-930-slantnose-shows-only-220-kilometers-on-the-clock-148597-1.jpg

Im a big fan of porsche, I'd have a lot of them if I could.
I'll stop here for now, the 959.
Porsche-959-series-2-in-Belgravia-on-2012-03-01.jpg

Absolute beast. I'd be very hard pressed to choose between this and it's direct (sort of) competition the ferrari F40

Last edited:

lem0n

I'm pretty humble guy, and cars are mostly for just getting from point A to B.... but if there's a dream car - it's 1996 Miata M edition, all in stock condition.

Glad to see some Miata love in here. As well as my Mustang, I also have a thing for Miatas. I've got a very highly modified example. Lots of very rare and interesting old school Japanese tuning shop parts on it.
good call on the carrera GT. amazing car for so many reasons.

though part of me thinks there is something wrong with it. I remember reading a few years ago (after paul walker's death) that of the 1200 cars made a quarter of them had been destroyed through crashing. that's like really bad.

still it'd be in the porsche wing of my dream garage for sure.

others would be GT1 Straßenversion
porsche-911-gt1.jpg

Porsche carrera 2.7rs

I know Porsche lovers might crucify me for it but I'd paint it black.
art-vin-porsche911-27rs-9113600017d.jpg

911 turbo (930) 3.3 with slant nose
One of the most badass 911 turbos ever made PLUS popup headlights!
1989-porsche-930-slantnose-shows-only-220-kilometers-on-the-clock-148597-1.jpg

Im a big fan of porsche, I'd have a lot of them if I could.
I'll stop here for now, the 959.
Porsche-959-series-2-in-Belgravia-on-2012-03-01.jpg

Absolute beast. I'd be very hard pressed to choose between this and it's direct (sort of) competition the ferrari F40
Nice to know we both have PGR style dream garages with wings dedicated to brands or styles LOL. I have the same dream, likely with a lot of the same cars. In my Porsche wing I'd have:

997.2 GT3RS 4.0 (white)
996 GT3RS (white with blue accents)
Tuthill 911K (if you haven't seen or heard this one, go seek it out)
CGT (Seal Grey)
904 (silver)
906 (red)
Schuppan 962 (black)

Last edited:

The Stig

Glad to see some Miata love in here. As well as my Mustang, I also have a thing for Miatas. I've got a very highly modified example. Lots of very rare and interesting old school Japanese tuning shop parts on it.

Nice to know we both have PGR style dream garages with wings dedicated to brands or styles LOL. I have the same dream, likely with a lot of the same cars. In my Porsche wing I'd have:

997.2 GT3RS 4.0 (white)
996 GT3RS (white with blue accents)
Tuthill 911K (if you haven't seen or heard this one, go seek it out)
CGT (Seal Grey)
904 (silver)
906 (red)
Schuppan 962 (black)
ohhh good calls. the tuthill looks like the singer 911. both amazing cars. would love them both.

also Id love anything 962

also I want to add two oddballs the 944 s2 and the 928

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Anyone got 2023 hyundai elantra? (eu if there is a difference).
I am eyeing the 1.6 cvt version. Looks fucking sick for the price... although it's a bit barren. No park assist or highway auto distance assistant.
having hard time finiding anything else for the price. Megane grandcoupe got a bit more features but it's butt ugly.

Rocking hyundai 2008 i30 right now.... and everythging is breaking. Not the engine (1.6 automatic) but I've got no heating, rear doors sometimes don't open, tyres pressure sensor broke, andbreak was fixed 3x in the last year, suspension is hard as fuck even after repairing, it's loosing coolant. fucking hell. It still drives well and all but it's a constant small mess....

Soltype

I love my car. I’ve had a lot of fun doing little mods here and there it’s really fun to drive and she’s a real looker. I find myself turning my head back to take one last glance every time I walk away.

qm7lqOh.jpg
After I finish building my STI, that's my next car.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
yeah... I've ben to Kia today.
I am getting this thing. Niro 2023 hev. Max trim + premium pack (so all the goodies possible, hud on windshild, cooled/warmed seats so on so on).
What do you think? Very old guy car? :p In fact I reserved this exact test drive unit. Only 1300miles on it and got a good discount.
(this will be upgrade from my 2008 hyundai i30 lol)
5vCQWUu.jpeg

Last edited:
I don’t know about cars but I gave to my wife a new Honda CR-V? Japanese hybrid 2024.
Just impressed the car do around 1000 km with 40L. And all those sensors , it feels really safe, even when all those crazy old people in Osaka ride theirs bicycle in front the car all alarms and break activate .
Also parking is mostly automatic 😂

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don’t know about cars but I gave to my wife a new Honda CR-V? Japanese hybrid 2024.
Just impressed the car do around 1000 km with 40L. And all those sensors , it feels really safe, even when all those crazy old people in Osaka ride theirs bicycle in front the car all alarms and break activate .
Also parking is mostly automatic 😂
Yeah this segment of cars got a ton of tech inside nowadays.
Even when it comes to safety, the car will break by itself in many situations. Sure Honda does the same thing

Must be fun to live in a country where car prices aren't insane. :/

Just for context in case anyone is interested, minimum wage here is R$ 1,412. The cheapest car is about R$ 70,000. According to recent news, ~70% of Brazilians get less than 2 minimum wages, and 90% less than R$ 3,500.

For new cars, taxes can vary from 30 to 48.6% for the ones manufactured here. Imported ones get >60%.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Fucking hell I went to honda dealership and test drove the Civic e:hev.
It is so much faster than kia niro.. 184hp vs 141. but it's so sporty. You sit lower and the thing just flies.
lowest trim is same price as my reserved kai niro highest trim.... WHAT DO I PICK ?!

Papa_Wisdom

You've basically won this thread.

Great car and an amazing project to work on. Please keep us updated.

It's good to know that not everyone is going for these soulless, electric slabs.
I thank you sir. Switched out the electric ignition and put twin dolloto 45 carbs fitted from a race tuned engine. Hopefully get around 250bhp

Ownage

I was in a Lexus LX 600 over the weekend and fell in love. It's far superior in comfort to Benz. May not spend the resources on it and instead get a lightly used LX 570. MPGs be damned!

raduque

I used to be a car enthusiast but I stopped caring about 10 years ago. I drive an old HHR and it's coming apart, but I love it.

My dream car is a 70 442 W30 with a 4 speed and a Hurst shifter.

I've never been a fan of super or hyper cars, but I love the styling of the Countach LP5000QV.

Last edited:

Ribi

today is the day i realized the lotus emira exists and is under 100k. I am shocked and intrigued and want one.

I used to be a car enthusiast but I stopped caring about 10 years ago. I drive an old HHR and it's coming apart, but I love it.

My dream car is a 70 442 W30 with a 4 speed and a Hurst shifter.

I've never been a fan of super or hyper cars, but I love the styling of the Countach LP5000QV.
I stopped caring for cars when they started designing the vast majority for yuppies and dickheads in China.

Tams

I've got a used, high mileage Mazda 6.

It's quite nice car, but very big for the UK and the cabin is very low.

Also, the place I got it from was one of those Pakistani scam places (don't any tag me as racist, honesty is a rare commodity among a fair few of them). Should have walked away, as now the car is in for both rear suspension arms to be replaced, as one snapped and another almost had.

Mazda cheaping out on the steel alloy hasn't helped.

Despite all the issues Icve had with the damn thing, so many people keep telling me it's a nice car, including the officers who pulled me over because I set off all the APN cameras.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
IMG-9995.jpg
IMG-0004.jpg

Just picked this bad boy up yesterday. Feels kinda bittersweet. In the first pic you can see the Accord I traded in behind it. I loved that car. I just really wanted something AWD after getting stuck in the snow this year. I live on the top of a hill and some idiot got stuck halfway up, making me stop and nearly rolled backwards until I caught it. Somehow I got outta there no problem but it shook me up.

Sucks that Honda doesn’t offer an AWD Accord or Civic because I would’ve got one of those. This is the same engine/ transmission as the Accord but with AWD.

The interior is definitely gonna take some getting used to. The Accord was very simple with a touch screen tablet. This has one of those really dumb trackpads and wired Carplay only. Why? The ambient lighting is pretty cool tho and the seats are way nicer.

IMG-9998.jpg

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
IMG-9995.jpg
IMG-0004.jpg

Just picked this bad boy up yesterday. Feels kinda bittersweet. In the first pic you can see the Accord I traded in behind it. I loved that car. I just really wanted something AWD after getting stuck in the snow this year. I live on the top of a hill and some idiot got stuck halfway up, making me stop and nearly rolled backwards until I caught it. Somehow I got outta there no problem but it shook me up.

Sucks that Honda doesn’t offer an AWD Accord or Civic because I would’ve got one of those. This is the same engine/ transmission as the Accord but with AWD.

The interior is definitely gonna take some getting used to. The Accord was very simple with a touch screen tablet. This has one of those really dumb trackpads and wired Carplay only. Why? The ambient lighting is pretty cool tho and the seats are way nicer.

IMG-9998.jpg
God damn that's nice!
I've just been to Honda few days ago and I am very hard deciding on Honda Civic e:hev. amazing 184hp 315nm ev engine charged by 2 liter petrol engine. The thing moves!
I am just too fat and big lol and you sit so low in it...

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
God damn that's nice!
I've just been to Honda few days ago and I am very hard deciding on Honda Civic e:hev. amazing 184hp 315nm ev engine charged by 2 liter petrol engine. The thing moves!
I am just too fat and big lol and you sit so low in it...

Thanks bro. I definitely recommend the Accord if you want something a bit bigger. I haven’t driven the new model but my 2.0t was quick as fuck. I would’ve bought another one if they had an AWD without a CVT.

Top Bottom