• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Car Thread

chromhound

I think that with savings of 2 or 3 years I can get one of these cars.

NSX
Honda%20NSX%20%2810%29.jpg

R-TYPE

NAZ_9073764f2cb94a92929740da0dd5ce1e.jpg

PORSCHE

902a1a3d83ced51a2e63ec357ffca7ff.jpg

1297920_1.jpg

Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder​

corvette v8 stingray

2023-Chevrolet-Corvette-Z06-coupe-orange-1001x565-1_0.jpg

I want a Honda or a sports car.

As a fun fact, I hate the Nissan March and any Renault car.
There's also the Integra Type-S
icqEzLA.jpg

Shtef

I always liked bmw e46 but never had chance owning one. I hope in future i can buy one and can afford maintenance.

1280px-1998-2001_BMW_328i_%28E46%29_sedan_%282011-07-17%29_01.jpg

Uhtred

What are the pros and cons?
Nice ride btw
Thx man! Pros, it delivers a real sport car experience without breaking the bank. The quality jump from the last gen is startling. The extra HP is awesome!!! I just love this thing so much, I feel so fkn connected to the road. Also it’s just beautiful.

Cons: soft paint, soft glass, interior prone to scratching.

When I saw this in the showroom, it was OVER!

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

My first sort of nice car big boy purchase

VJzDfBr.jpg

CWpUEjc.jpg

ZzVUZAJ.jpg

Acura ILX A-spec plus tech, top package. Did a ceramic coat and now it really gleams and looks glossy, especially after a bit of rain makes any dust just fall off. The top of range Acura prices tend to just fall at the base price of Audi prices without any extras. The rims looked huge to me the first time lol.

I've had nepo baby friends fail through life and get bought fancier cars lol, but I worked through my 20s and saved for it and bought it with all my own cash, it's still very nice for me.

jason10mm

Gold Member
At what point do you guys consider a car to be a "beater"?
When it is paid off and the resale is less than what I can pull out of savings. My WRX is close to that point where I need to decide on trading it in or going stage 2+ and riding it till I blow something.

RickMasters

At what point do you guys consider a car to be a "beater"?

currently in jamaica...here, My main car is a JDM 2017 toyota mark X Gs (In america and europe its better known as the lexus IS-F sport) . I have some really nice wheels on it (19" rohana wheels). My beater is a 95 civic VTi (also known as the 'SiR' in japan, but mines is a UK spec. B16A engine. no mods....yet) it takes all the abuse from the potholes most days. As long as its cheap and you dont feel all precious about it everytime the underside of the car hits something...id say its the beater. If you have a nice car that you intend to keep for a long time and look after....you need to have a beater next to it!

I love My beater too though. will spend a little money on it at some point. get it some work or volk 16s and some spoon coilovers. maybe an exhaust and induction kit. maybe some red recaros if I can find a pair used (the ones from the 90s civic or integra type R should fit right in, with no mods). Just because its the beater It dont mean I wont give a little look and style, at some point! I never keep things stock for long.

Phobos Base

I felt like buying something a bit different and fun a few months ago, although ever since the pandemic car prices have rocketed. Also wanted to keep the running costs reasonable, which ruled out the Mustang and 370Z, so I bought a GT86 instead. Similar to this one, but with the rear spoiler

toyota-gt86-2-0-d-4s-2dr-1037914307-2.jpg

Whilst not very quick, if anything a bit underpowered, it is a lot of fun to drive and seems to get positive attention. It is an auto which might seen like a sin for a car like this, but they aren't exactly common and was otherwise the spec I wanted. Although I did plan to keep it standard it came with perhaps the worst sound system I have ever heard, so ended up having to fit new speakers just so I could hear them on the motorway.

RickMasters

I felt like buying something a bit different and fun a few months ago, although ever since the pandemic car prices have rocketed. Also wanted to keep the running costs reasonable, which ruled out the Mustang and 370Z, so I bought a GT86 instead. Similar to this one, but with the rear spoiler

Whilst not very quick, if anything a bit underpowered, it is a lot of fun to drive and seems to get positive attention. It is an auto which might seen like a sin for a car like this, but they aren't exactly common and was otherwise the spec I wanted. Although I did plan to keep it standard it came with perhaps the worst sound system I have ever heard, so ended up having to fit new speakers just so I could hear them on the motorway.
I think these are awesome little sports cars. You can get mods to get more power out of the engine, easily.

What speakers did you go for? You running an amp with them?

Phobos Base

I think these are awesome little sports cars. You can get mods to get more power out of the engine, easily.

What speakers did you go for? You running an amp with them?

I bought some Focal speakers which just slotted straight in, haven't got amp as it still has the standard head unit, which I may replace later. Lack of audio control on the steering wheel is a real pain and surprised they skimped out on this, trying to use the touch screen just feels dangerous. But my days of engine modding are behind me, as I found the easiest way to get more power is just buy a more powerful car.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Picked this Leon up last week. Got 17 inch Audi wheels ready to fit. Gonna lower with some springs later on. Might do an audio upgrade too.

20230701_152213f6iu3.jpg

Picanto is from my brother

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
SEAT Ibiza...any year from 2013 onward. I can't really afford cars anymore. I was able to finance in the U.S. well enough but cars in Mexico are bloody expensive. But, they have some Chinese, Spanish, German, French and Italian car models that you almost can't find in the States.

It's a dream but I like smaller cars, medium grade and with a 4-5 safety rating. Plenty of small ones here which were banned in their country of origin.

4gZ9wTI.jpg
HigoTv5.jpg

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Just got new brakes and rotors. Over $2,000+ tax. :(
Exactly why many postpone replacing brakes and rotors or simply DIY if the set up's there. My last car was a Toyota Scion XB and basic cost for a shoe calipur drum and labor was $800. Powertrane covered all but $200. I still couldn't understand how they justified pricing...they used after market parts. Go years back and learn never to have maintenance done at the authorized dealer of the brand either.

You're Canada, right? Does Velofix do any of that work for less?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Exactly why many postpone replacing brakes and rotors or simply DIY if the set up's there. My last car was a Toyota Scion XB and basic cost for a shoe calipur drum and labor was $800. Powertrane covered all but $200. I still couldn't understand how they justified pricing...they used after market parts. Go years back and learn never to have maintenance done at the authorized dealer of the brand either.

You're Canada, right? Does Velofix do any of that work for less?
Yup. In Canada. Called a few independents and that was the cheapest price I got for an Alfa Romeo, so I bit. I was tired of the service brakes warning sign. At 60,000 km and that warning light had been on for probably two months. The last time I took my car into the dealer they had the brake quality at yellow (which means it's getting worn).

Never heard of Velofix. I googled them and they service bikes? Unless I got the site wrong.

Ya, I never use the dealer for service unless I need to (warranty repairs). Their prices are probably 50-100% more than an independent. Crazy. They wanted to charge me $800 for some maintenance work. My indie charged me $400 and that even included more services and included fixing a loose wire.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Yup. In Canada. Called a few independents and that was the cheapest price I got for an Alfa Romeo, so I bit. I was tired of the service brakes warning sign. At 60,000 km and that warning light had been on for probably two months. The last time I took my car into the dealer they had the brake quality at yellow (which means it's getting worn).

Never heard of Velofix. I googled them and they service bikes? Unless I got the site wrong.

Ya, I never use the dealer for service unless I need to (warranty repairs). Their prices are probably 50-100% more than an independent. Crazy. They wanted to charge me $800 for some maintenance work. My indie charged me $400 and that even included more services and included fixing a loose wire.
Brakes are one I don't miss and tires were certainly a pain. I was attempting a contract with Velofix as they work with motorcycles. They stated they had planned to work with cars and I was sure if they'd gotten there yet.

Warranty I had sucked as they'd keep suggestion Mopar and would laugh if I brought up independents. Mopar were fine for oil changes and tune ups but nothing more imo

I nearly bought this the other day, if it wasn't for an issue with the steering once I took it for a test drive:

d973929f2cba40c9b740d1f8ea513984.jpg

Beautiful British Racing Green with cream interior (This pic the car looks a bit dull, it's nicer in real life).

'98 model with 25k miles. All was good except the steering was out of whack, the car drifted left when the wheel was straight, so you need to turn the wheel quite a lot to the right to straighten it up. Sure it was an easy fix but according to them they didn't notice the issue, then blamed the MoT people. So I walked away, pretty gutted.

I nearly bought this the other day, if it wasn't for an issue with the steering once I took it for a test drive:

d973929f2cba40c9b740d1f8ea513984.jpg

Beautiful British Racing Green with cream interior (This pic the car looks a bit dull, it's nicer in real life).

'98 model with 25k miles. All was good except the steering was out of whack, the car drifted left when the wheel was straight, so you need to turn the wheel quite a lot to the right to straighten it up. Sure it was an easy fix but according to them they didn't notice the issue, then blamed the MoT people. So I walked away, pretty gutted.
That's a shame. The milage is great for a car that age. A friend of mine had one of these and loved it.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Excellent car. Brother had one and loved it. Thinking of getting the Golf R myself.

You in Australia? Just check for servicing costs, I know VW's and Golfs are more to service there than Europe
Everything is absurdly more expensive here than in Europe
Throw Away Make It Rain GIF

One I looked at still had 2 years factory warranty and 2 years fixed service pricing.

And wagons are just cool.

Fools idol

Banned
okjaJnd.jpg

My Novitec inconel exhaust system has arrived for my ferrari 458. Just need a set of gaskets to change the headers and were fucking golden bois. This thing is about to sound nuts.

I went with inconel as the one on my pista is so good. The tone is tremeandous, but the turbos muffle it. Not got that problem on the 458 💥

Celcius

°Temp. member
okjaJnd.jpg

My Novitec inconel exhaust system has arrived for my ferrari 458. Just need a set of gaskets to change the headers and were fucking golden bois. This thing is about to sound nuts.

I went with inconel as the one on my pista is so good. The tone is tremeandous, but the turbos muffle it. Not got that problem on the 458 💥
Any pictures of said ferrari 458?

That's a shame. The milage is great for a car that age. A friend of mine had one of these and loved it.
Yea it really is, hard to find the spec in this exact colour scheme, with a hard top and even the luggage thing on the boot.

Hopefully picking up an 2010 MX-5 'Miyako' instead, looks like a great little car.

JGBtypeR

I bought a 2015 FR-S in January of 2020, so had a couple of years of working from home that I did a handful of upgrades to it.
It came with an Invidia N1 catback exhaust on it, so it's loud enough in the cabin that I can't even really hear the terrible speakers.

clyVW1f.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom