• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Case Against the Media (NYMag.com article)

Chiggs

Originally published in July of 2016, The Case Against the Media. By the Media. is one of the best critiques of modern day news media that I've read. The article presents 53(!) points that clearly illustrate significant problems with the news. Featured prominently are authors, editors, journalists and media figures on both the right and left...and those in between.

The article is very, very long but well worth anyone's time.

I'll post a few to give you a sample:

The Case Against the Media said:
News is an entertainment business, even if it pretends otherwise.

“You can’t have drama without conflict. And you can’t have melodrama without good guys and bad guys. The problem for journalism is: Our actual problems are bigger, more complicated, more sprawling and complex, than good guys and bad guys. I don’t take any issue with the press attending to conflict. That’s Job One, actually. But the simplicity of the narrative is incredibly debilitating. News organizations chase simple narratives, and if they are prize-hunting, they look for an evil actor. Such folks can be found, to be sure, and a scandal is a scandal. But it is mortifying to realize that much of the press thinks exposing the overt scandal is the equivalent of examining, assessing, and arguing for systemic solutions to systemic problems.”

— DAVID SIMON, creator of The Wire and former reporter for the Baltimore Sun

So it doesn’t know how to handle serious issues.

“When the only thing that’s consumed is the one-day tweet and the listicle and the ‘Seven Awesome Slams From the Obergefell Dissent,’ then there really isn’t time to do the piece that we need to do, which is, ‘Hey, I read all 80 pages of the opinion, and here’s what it means, and here’s why it matters, and here’s what the district court has to do going forward’ — all of that disappears. I had colleagues who, a day after reading King v. Burwell,the big Affordable Care Act case, when they had time to file a really deep-dive, thoughtful story, they were told, ‘It’s all played out. We had this conversation.’ ”

— DAHLIA LITHWICK, senior Supreme Court correspondent for Slate

“Can I add, ‘Blah, blah, fucking blah’? I like Dahlia Lithwick, I’m not going to rag on her, but you hear that a lot from reporters — ‘There’s so much meat out there, and we only cover the applesauce.’ It’s like, ‘Okay, but isn’t your job to explain clearly and in a compelling manner what’s important?’ It does seem like that’s inherent in the job description. This is the lecture I give to my reporters: Nobody has time to read. People barely can read. So you need to give them an overwhelming reason to read your piece. You need to grab them by the face and pull them in, and cover them in the hot stinky garlic breath of journalism until they fuckin’ wake up.”

— TUCKER CARLSON, founder and editor in chief of the Daily Caller

Journalists are deluded …

“It’s a progress narrative. We want to imagine a kind of triumph of reason. If you’re in the business of finding out facts and reporting on things, you still have, especially in the American press, a kind of pseudo-religious commitment to this as the best way of knowing.”

— JEFF SHARLET, magazine journalist and professor of English at Dartmouth

Rush their work …

“The major feature of the media landscape today is the acceleration of everything. Probably the most troublesome tension is the one between the need to file immediately, because a thousand other people are filing immediately, and the time it takes to do real reporting, to reflect on what you’ve got and then to write it in a way that’s fair and clear but doesn’t gloss over the complications. And that tension just seems to get more intense. I think one of the greatest casualties of the high metabolism of the news business is complexity. That’s a big loss.”

— BILL KELLER, editor in chief of the Marshall Project and former executive editor of the New York Times

Last edited:

Super Mario

Banned
I think the media's problems can be summed up into 2 points:

#1) Political bias

#2) Deceptive/misleading headlines looking for views

The free market should be able to deal with the rest. Unfortunately, it is no longer that. Few things are more cringe-worthy than hearing Liberals CONSTANTLY defending our "free press".

#1) Political bias

The free market should be able to deal with the rest. Unfortunately, it is no longer that. Few things are more cringe-worthy than hearing Liberals CONSTANTLY defending our "free press".

#2 also is how the media manipulates stories. There are so many stories where the details contradict the headline and the opening and closing sentences, or put them in an entirely different context. However, we know that most people just read the headline and then skim the body of articles, reading the first paragraph or so and maybe skipping to the end.

I think the most troubling aspect of the media is how a corporate entity has glommed onto an ethnicity to protect itself, as demonstrated by the recent situation with Elon Musk.

"You know who runs the media."

In context of his discussion, he was obviously talking about corporations. However, the journalists tried their damnedest to make it sound like he was talking about Jews. It's kind of shitty on their part when you think about it - they are literally using Jews as shields against any discussion of the media industry and how it manipulates news to maximize profit.

It's just strange to me that the only industry the modern left accepts at face value is the one which has most control over our lives. Imagine if BP had defended itself after that Gulf Coast oil spill by trying to spin criticism as anti-Semitism or something.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The best cases against the media were made 30 years ago.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manufacturing_Consent

Manugactorinconsent2.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amusing_Ourselves_to_Death

220px-Amusinghkn.jpg

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
Follow the money.

Washington Post is part-owned by Jeff Bezos. New York Times is part-owned by George Soros. Both are major DNC donors: https://www.opensecrets.org/overview/topindivs.php

Right wing outlets like Fox are no different (Murdoch and Ailes).

News is just another competitive industry and it follows that journalistic integrity will give way to cashflow. Its survival depends on it.

Arkage

Banned
The biggest problem IMO is that everything is based around a capitalistic ad-based economy. It's hypothetically supposed to weed out bad or uninteresting reporting, but in fact just incentives tribalism and outrageous headlines in desperation to get as many clicks as you can. An objective, unemotional, rational report with no political spin turns into "this is boring I'm not going to read it" for most Americans. They'd rather read about how Hillary assassinated Seth Rich or how Trump is Hitler 2.0

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Drew Curtis of Fark.com actually wrote about this 10 years ago as well. Was a good book, also was largely ignored by mass media even though it made the best sellers list.

This is shamelessly stolen from Wikipedia, but these were the book's main points:

• Media Fearmongering contains news stories used to scare the audience. Examples are terrorists attacking, the San Andreas Fault, and the Avian Flu.
  • Unpaid Placement Masquerading as Actual Article is about news stories which, whether intentionally or not, advertise a product or organization. An example is an article indicating that 90 percent of the ocean's large fish are extinct—an unconfirmed statistic written by an author promoting a book about damage to the environment.
  • Headline Contradicted by Actual Article are news stories which have misleading or contradictory headlines that are the opposite of what is implied by the article. An example is an article run by the Detroit Free Presstitled "Asian Vehicles Rank Low in Survey" which later contained the statistic that 29 of the 31 cars that earned a top reliability rating were Japanese.
  • Equal Time for Nutjobs is about articles published just to give an opposite side to a story, even if that opposite side has been proven false. Examples include 9/11 Truthers, as well as the anti-vaccination movement.
  • The Out-of-Context Celebrity Comment relates to articles which give a disproportionate amount of attention to a comment made by a celebrity, like Brad Pitt's position on stem cell research or the Dixie Chicks' position on the Iraq War.
  • Seasonal Articles focuses on recurring articles published the same time every year. An example is AAA reports related to increases in traffic during the Christmas holidays.
  • Media Fatigue refers to stories examined and exhausted past their relevance. Examples would include the September 11 attacks and the Janet Jackson Super Bowl XXXVIII halftime show controversy.
  • Lesser Media Space Fillers are non-categorical articles which consistently reappear. Examples include the coverage of missing white women and hurricanes.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I've only skimmed, but I didn't see mention of the consolidated corporate ownership of the vast majority of mass media.

To me, it's the single biggest case against mass media, and the major contributing factor as to why I don't put any faith Into it whatsoever.

http://www.businessinsider.com/these-6-corporations-control-90-of-the-media-in-america-2012-6

https://www.webpagefx.com/data/the-6-companies-that-own-almost-all-media/
You can thank the Republicans in Congress as well as Bill Clinton for that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommunications_Act_of_1996

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

#1) Political bias

Well, when you have a monopoly on the ideologies/opinions (see: tools of propaganda) in most MSM media, of course you are going to want to protect that and pass it off with the "free press" narrative.

The press stopped becoming "free", when thousands of independent news companies were all purchased and absorbed into 5 or 6 large entities in less than 3 decades, as well as reporting from a place of subjective opinion/emotion and not the hard objective facts. Another profiteer chasing business, which is not wrong in itself, but when it comes to news and chasing profits, you are not going to get all the facts, only what sells and can shape public opinion to continue to want said stories.

News is vary rarely reported on now, it is told to you (made) through their lenses.

Last edited:
Top Bottom