• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Championships |OT| Wimbledon, 2015

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kensuke

Looking forward to the rest of the season. The US Open was very interesting last year, so let's hope for some more surprises. Don't think I'll watch the upcoming tournaments tough, I feel burned out after this final.

Will Nadal ever be good again?

Is he still injury ridden or is he losing because he doesn't have it anymore. I need a good Nadal in my life.

MIMIC

Banned
Such abysmal competition really.

Novak is the luckiest man in tennis history.

LOL. If only Novak could be tested by legends like Baghdatis, Philippoussis, and Gonzales
u6XznIG.gif

sam777

Will Nadal ever be good again?

Is he still injury ridden or is he losing because he doesn't have it anymore. I need a good Nadal in my life.

Losing because it looks like he has lost all confidence in his forehand. We can hope he gets it back. If he does shit in the hard court season then I would say most likely 100% no. I just want to see that free flowing forehand from him again.

Well time to nap for an hour or two.

Federer lost to himself today. He should take a good long look and see what he needs to do to become more consistent. If the Federer from Friday had shown up I'm pretty sure he'd have won, or at least come a lot closer.

damn, watching ESPN's feed of Djokovic walking through the halls of centre court greeting the fans....Federer walked right by him...felt bad for him haha

Federer lost to himself today. He should take a good long look and see what he needs to do to become more consistent. If the Federer from Friday had shown up I'm pretty sure he'd have won, or at least come a lot closer.

After friday I honestly thought he'd do it, but he just didn't show up the same today. Which makes this even worse for me as a Murray fan :(

I think that's a little unfair to Djokovic. He was just phenomenal today, and had nerves of steel. Djokovic can return a serve far better than Murray can, and served just as well as Federer did, really. He was far above what Murray was in that match.

MrS

Banned
I was pulling for Roger but Djokovic played excellently and definitely deserved the win. Hope Martina can get another win this afternoon.

I was "telling him" this 5 years ago, when his big streak had ended and he was still being stubborn about his play style. And this was at a time when Nadal was willing to spend a season completely reworking his backhand, which eventually helped him dominate.

If Federer didn't want to address the weaknesses in his game then, he definitely won't do it now, when he's just satisfied playing out his career with his current skillset.

As a fan it's incredibly frustrating, but I shouldn't lose sight of the fact that he's still number 2 in the world, which is astonishing.

Deku Tree

A lot of Fed's wins came when his biggest competition was Andy Roddick. Lol. Not sure why people are complaining that there is no competition for Djoko today.

Oh well. I had a feeling that Djokovic would nab it in 4 sets. Federer's achievements at the age of 33 (almost 34) are only adding to his legacy. Sure, he isn't quite good enough to bag that elusive 18th slam, but he swept through the tournament like it was 2007 all over again. It took an all time great in his prime to take him down in a tight, tough match. Congratulations to Djokovic on his 9th slam; he's getting closer and closer to being one of the all time greats with each passing year.

I only hope that Nadal can come back and reignite his rivalry with Djokovic. It was sad to see him so diminished and withered in the Roland Garros QFs, so I hope there's still a spark there. At the moment Djokovic is untouchable and if hadn't bumped up against Wawrinka in god mode, we'd be looking at a potential calender slam.

sam777

Fedal era is over. Neither will win a slam ever again. Not even steroids could help at this point. Djokovic and his gluten free lifestyle are too stronk

It is looking likely. But I still see hope in Nadal turning it around because most people think it is his physical side that has gone but in reality it is more mental and just making some poor errors with the forehand, which he never used to do.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It is looking likely. But I still see hope in Nadal turning it around because most people think it is his physical side that has gone but in reality it is more mental and just making some poor errors with the forehand, which he never used to do.

I agree. I think Nadal is fine physically, he's just not there mentally. The situation has stabilized, though - he's firmly, firmly #8 in the race and probably won't be overtaken, there's a big gap opening up. He'll still make the WTF and deny the people below him a few points, and still preserve a reasonable seeding for major tournaments. All he needs is a good run somewhere or other and he'll be back.

sam777

I agree. I think Nadal is fine physically, he's just not there mentally. The situation has stabilized, though - he's firmly, firmly #8 in the race and probably won't be overtaken, there's a big gap opening up. He'll still make the WTF and deny the people below him a few points, and still preserve a reasonable seeding for major tournaments. All he needs is a good run somewhere or other and he'll be back.

True. After Wimbledon last year Rafa only played 2/3 matches, so in reality he will easily make the top 8.

Pranay

LOL. If only Novak could be tested by legends like Baghdatis, Philippoussis, and Gonzales
u6XznIG.gif

I dont know why you keep bringing these names just to make federer slams less impressive ?

Gonzales beat The World no 2 Nadal 6-4 6-2 and 6-3 and also wons the semis in straight set

M Philippoussis defeated Agrassi(who was no 2 as well) , and was a worthy finalist , also it was federer first GS ( oh nadal faced the great Puerata to win his First GS as well that doesnt make it less impressive)

Baghdatis was in a form of his life time in 06 australian open also he defeated the number 2 ranked player.

So yeah these players might not be great players but they were second best player in that tournament to reach the final

Diamond

Don't get all this negativity. Can't people enjoy watching tennis, why automatically having to hate Federer or Djokovic ? Try to be a little bit more positive guys, you'll live longer.

I'd say that it's a deserved win for Novak. What's frustrating is Federer wasn't at the same level at serve compared to his match against Murray, but like last year's final, it's from the baseline that Novak won IMO, he was a lot more consistent, maybe less offensive than Roger but it's a valid way to play. He was also very good at serve (almost the same stats than Roger on aces, first serve percentage and win %). Federer could've easily won the first two sets if it wasn't for Djokovic's way of playing important points. Fed had more opportunities but they were all saved, and when he finally won that second set he hadn't enough energy to keep up.

I still hope that Roger manage to win another major, I think he deserves it, the way he has been playing the last two years. But today Novak was quite clearly the best player. Once again he always manages to adjust his own level of play to the guy on the other side of the net.

Edit : also interesting stat : Federer covered more distance than Djokovic during the match. It really should have been the other way around. Shows that Roger couldn't quite apply the pressure he needed to.

Just finished watching it having got home unspoiled. Thought it was an excellent match for two sets but Federer faded a bit after getting broken in set 3. Djokovic's level was very high after the opening few games, especially his backhand. A few thoughts:

- The key moment, if I had to pick one, would be Federer serving at 4-2 in the first set after breaking Djokovic to love. He gives up his serve with two missed volleys and a shank (one point Djokovic won a baseline rally off a good second serve return). The match could've been very different if he played a better game here and took the first set 6-3 in under 30 minutes.

- The second set tie-break was obviously the highlight of the match. Superb tennis from Federer, especially the backhand winner at 5-6, Djokovic's 4th set point. But really, they played 4 sets, Djokovic won 3, and the other took Federer's brilliance and absolute resolve to come through 12-10 in an exhausting breaker, so the match doesn't look as close in hindsight as it did watching it. I think they'd spent over 2 hours on court at this point, and it was a dense two hours - Djokovic/Federer plays much quicker than the likes of Djokovic/Nadal, and many of the points towards the end of the second set, especially during the long 5-4 and 5-5 games, were long gruelling rallies.

- Djokovic really began to pick up on the Federer serve after the 2nd set, and got into a majority of Federer's service games from then on. Federer needed that not to happen. Federer returned well all match, but began to let the errors creep in too often in sets 3 and 4. Interesting that despite both players' high level of returning there were only 5 breaks of serve in the whole match, and Djokovic was unbroken after the 6th game of the match.

MIMIC

Banned
Watching the replay on Tennis Channel (I missed the 1st set). Kinda hilarious to see the commentators talking up Federer like he's playing Murray again or something. Before this match, Djokovic had defeated Federer 19 times and once in a Wimbledon final. It's like everyone forgets how good Novak is.

Little do they know.....

Watching the replay on Tennis Channel (I missed the 1st set). Kinda hilarious to see the commentators talking up Federer like he's playing Murray again or something. Before this match, Djokovic had defeated Federer 19 times and once in a Wimbledon final. It's like everyone forgets how good Novak is.

Little do they know.....

Before this match, Federer had won 7 Wimbledon titles and had defeated Djokovic 20 times.

What's your point?

ghstwrld

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/8VeXDfL.jpg[/img]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/9YP7Xui.jpg[/IMG]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/GV726xM.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/C1fCDLl.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/iQEH7kR.jpg[/img]

sobbing.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom