• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Championships |OT| Wimbledon, 2015

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Champagne

Banned
So that's Slam 9 for Novak at 28 years of age. His only real competition is an old man, a broken man and a Scottish man. I reckon he could go into the high teems for Slams.
Such abysmal competition really.

Novak is the luckiest man in tennis history.

dEvAnGeL

how can you hate Djokovic? the guy was the punching bag of federer and nadal for a long time and was the a humble guy every time he lost, congratulating his opponents and taking the defeat very respectfully, the guy tried and tried and tried and finally turned things around, he is the definition that hard work has its rewards

how can you hate Djokovic? the guy was the punching bag of federer and nadal for a ling time, the guy tried and tried and tried and finally turned things around, he is the definition that hard work has its rewards

Word. And the guy has a personality. I find h refreshing.

how can you hate Djokovic? the guy was the punching bag of federer and nadal for a ling time, the guy tried and tried and tried and finally turned things around, he is the definition that hard work has its rewards

and he's peaking when his main competition is an old man, an inconsistent Scotsman, and a broken Spaniard

I'm interested to see how much longer Djokovic can dominate. He's 28. He won't get any better from here. Your knees start going in your late 20s, so I wonder how he'll adjust his game. His incredible return and remarkable shots will keep him going, but he's not going to be able to run this well much longer. And he fell a few times today. It'll be really interesting to see who takes the No. 1 spot next. Although i imagine he's got a good 1+ at the top.

Speevy

Banned
Djokovic knows Federer too well. He's played him so many times that he's able to predict his swings in momentum and counter them.

Andy Murray lost because Federer spent all the drive he had that day, but beating Djokovic takes more than drive since the Djoker is an athletic machine in addition to being a smart player. Yes, Murray is an insanely fit player, but he rarely goes for insane shots that make the difference in the big matches.

Djokovic is able to figure out his opponents' strengths so that even when they are having a good match, he can wear down their best game with sheer athletic insanity.

Federer is as he as always been a smart player. He's someone who plays with grace and finesse and when he's on the mark, he can beat anyone. However, his age has negatively impacted his ability to make these spectacular shows of athleticism Djokovic shows. He also shows inconsistency because all of his "picture perfect" clean shots are now a bit slower, and other players are used to them.

Roger Federer probably knows more about tennis than anyone who has ever played the game, but he can't recoup what age has cost him.

A nice window of opportunity is opening up here for Novak to maybe catch up to Nadal. Fed is obviously too old now to challenge him, Nadal is broken, lol Murray please, Stan can maybe take one here or there and that's it. There's nothing under these guys who can have a real consistent go at him. Holy shit.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I don't get people saying it was a bad match. I am a huge fed fan and even I can say it was a good match. Both players had more winners than errors. Super intense first 2 sets. It was not a bad match.

First two sets were quality and exciting, first tiebreak aside (not because Djokovic won it, but because it was so lopsided). Other two were just pretty routine. Tons of crazy volleys and returns though.

I'm interested to see how much longer Djokovic can dominate. He's 28. He won't get any better from here. Your knees start going in your late 20s, so I wonder how he'll adjust his game. His incredible return and remarkable shots will keep him going, but he's not going to be able to run this well much longer. And he fell a few times today. It'll be really interesting to see who takes the No. 1 spot next. Although i imagine he's got a good 1+ at the top.

The same people will be winning the slams until the younger group step up. And I feel like most of the promising younger players have regressed this year. So it could be longer than that.

dEvAnGeL

and he's peaking when his main competition is an old man, an inconsistent Scotsman, and a broken Spaniard
tumblr_inline_ndqc17q6TM1sqqavy.jpg

miserable

how can you hate Djokovic? the guy was the punching bag of federer and nadal for a long time and was the a humble guy every time he lost, congratulating his opponents and taking the defeat very respectfully, the guy tried and tried and tried and finally turned things around, he is the definition that hard work has its rewards

serbian witch doctors and PED cocktails are to blame for that, not hard work

/s

Shame. Considering how strong Federer has been throughout the tournament, I was hoping (against my better judgement) that he would have been able to pull this out. Congrats to Djokovic for playing a considerably better match today. Hopefully Federer can recover well enough to contend for the US Open.

Clegg

Novak at 9 slam by 28.

What was Federer at? Any chance of Novak dominating over the next few years and catching him?
15 or 16I think. He had tougher competition though with a peak Nadal and an up and coming Djokovic. The current competition just aren't good enough apart from the three just mentioned and Stan on a good day.

TrueBlue

I'd fancy Murray to provide the challenge at the US Open. He's reached a final and two semis this year - it's definitely within his power to go toe to toe with djokovic, assuming he can get some over the losing streak he has against him.

yyzjohn

Banned
Expected result but a shame none the less. Would be great to see Federer win one more before he's done. Guy is so classy and has been for years he's just a credit to the sport. Given the age and the quality of Djokovic it would probably be his greatest ever win if he could even do it. Alas time might be over for him.

Kensuke

Wawrinka, Murray and rare good Federer can still beat Djokovic. Nishikori too maybe, on a good day. Still, he could win 3 slams this year, making all 4 finals. I could see him dominate the next 2-3 years and get to 14 slams.

Expected result but a shame none the less. Would be great to see Federer win one more before he's done. Guy is so classy and has been for years he's just a credit to the sport. Given the age and the quality of Djokovic it would probably be his greatest ever win if he could even do it. Alas time might be over for him.

This was his opportunity. He was playing so well the rest of the tournament but today he was unforced error city.

MIMIC

Banned
I love the stat about Federer only being broken once before the final. Because he played a bunch of nobodies
u6XznIG.gif
u6XznIG.gif

The tournament organizers can only get you so far Federer :)

I'd fancy Murray to provide the challenge at the US Open. He's reached a final and two semis this year - it's definitely within his power to go toe to toe with djokovic, assuming he can get some over the losing streak he has against him.

he wasn't too far off doing it at the french so he has to beat him again sooner rather than later. the stats are a bit flattering to djokovic since a lot of those wins in the last year were over recovering murray.

Jrmint

Federer should really retire, I feel like he's starting to tarnish his legacy losing all these finals.

Sampras retired pretty quickly after he lost to Roger in Wombledon.

Deadman

I love the stat about Federer only being broken once before the final. Because he played a bunch of nobodies
u6XznIG.gif
u6XznIG.gif

The tournament organizers can only get you so far Federer :)

Murray confirmed for nobody. Anderson confirmed for great player.

Federer should really retire, I feel like he's starting to tarnish his legacy losing all these finals.

No. Reaching the final at 33 is far more impressive than being retired.

SIRF

I don't think Federer ever played for his legacy, he just enjoys the game enough to keep playing. That is probably what makes him so great to begin with.

If he did retire though, I say he should start coaching Nadal :p

yyzjohn

Banned
what a sore winner you are.

Mimic doesn't have a favorite player. For years its been "whoever is playing against Federer". He even started new threads to highlight when Fed lost lol. Unreal to care that much about someone else not winning something. Says something about yourself when you're like that.

Can't agree with this at all. The fact that he continues to get so close and is still able to challenge guys like Murray or djoko at his age only enhances his legacy.

TrueBlue

he wasn't too far off doing it at the french so he has to beat him again sooner rather than later. the stats are a bit flattering to djokovic since a lot of those wins in the last year were over recovering murray.

Aye. The US Open is his favourite surface too, isn't it? He got a little unlucky on Friday playing Federer in God Mode - if you can call that luck. I thin he has a few more Slams in him, if he continues what he's doing.

Xun

Federer comes across as a much better person nowadays.

There were occasions in the past when he came across as incredibly entitled prat.

MIMIC

Banned
Mimic doesn't have a favorite player. For years its been "whoever is playing against Federer". He even started new threads to highlight when Fed lost lol. Unreal to care that much about someone else not winning something. Says something about yourself when you're like that.

lol ok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom