• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE CLONE WARS Season V lOTl Heroes Fall, Darth Maul Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonz

I was thinking about getting into this. Wasn't there a microseries by the same name way back though? Is this series related to it in any way?

Micro series was same time period but a little more force unleashed style uses of the force etc. This keeps things relatively within the "normal" usage of the force.

WillyFive

I fully support that. I'll never forgive their treatment of young justice and green lantern.

Why? Moving the schedule around like that is awkward, but it's not anywhere near as bad as some networks can behave.

The only bad thing about CN (and WB in general) is their refusal to support modern streaming services. No one should ever ask you for your cable account to watch something on their website.

Star Wars going with Disney means we might see both the movies and the shows on streaming services, including Netflix.

I didn't say CW would be canceled after this season, just that it won't be on CN. This already happened before with the Super Hero Squad show when Disney bought Marvel.

I'm a little worried about how Disney would treat the content on their Disney Channel though. One of the things that makes Clone Wars so good is that they don't really pull punches and shit happens. I have to think Disney wouldn't want to be showing decapitations and people being impaled. That concerns me.

abundant

I'm a little worried about how Disney would treat the content on their Disney Channel though. One of the things that makes Clone Wars so good is that they don't really pull punches and shit happens. I have to think Disney wouldn't want to be showing decapitations and people being impaled. That concerns me.

Don't worry. Tron: Uprising is just as violent as Clone Wars and it's on Disney.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
speaking of, what's the future for this now that disney own lucasfilm? will the sale have any impact at all? we can expect this season to finish, but will they cancel it or put it on the back burner afterwards?

Safe to say that CW will be moving to Disney XD next season.

Don't worry. Tron: Uprising is just as violent as Clone Wars and it's on Disney.

Tron has the benefit of calling everyone a "program" and turning them into tiny lil boxes when they die. Exactly like how SJ just made everything Jack kills some kind of robot. Plus it's just a mini-series.

And even then they dicked it around like they did MC with these long breaks out of nowhere.

I really hope they have the sense to just leave it be and let it do it's thing on CN. Like they did with Iron Man AA on Nick.

Jinroh

I really don't understand what's canon and what isn't.

Did the mandalorian background for Boba Fett come from Lucas or the EU?

Now there are clearly mandalorian soldiers in clone wars. If Lucas didn't invent the concept, did he make it canon afterwards?

halp.

Sec0nd

I really didn't like season 3 or 4, I can't remember. I started with some boring ass under water episodes and I remember lots of stupid politic style episodes (The goddamn worst part about the prequel universe of Star Wars), so I quit watching. Did it get any better? Cause I always liked the show, especially if they were a bit action heavy.

WillyFive

I really didn't like season 3 or 4, I can't remember. I started with some boring ass under water episodes and I remember lots of stupid politic style episodes (The goddamn worst part about the prequel universe of Star Wars), so I quit watching. Did it get any better? Cause I always liked the show, especially if they were a bit action heavy.

That was last season. Near the end of the season we got Darth Maul introduced, which was ok; and so far this season we got the continuation of that arc, and then a really long arc about Alderaan, which was very heavy on the politics on terrorism and foreign occupation, but it had more action than the political episodes of previous seasons.

I really don't understand what's canon and what isn't.

Did the mandalorian background for Boba Fett come from Lucas or the EU?

Now there are clearly mandalorian soldiers in clone wars. If Lucas didn't invent the concept, did he make it canon afterwards?

halp.

Boba Fett's original backstory is that he wore the armor of an evil group that the Jedi defeated during the Clone Wars (Empire novelization). This group was called "Mandalorians" in productions notes.. Notice that this background only refers to the armor as Mandalorian, not Fett himself.

Sec0nd

That was last season. Near the end of the season we got Darth Maul introduced, which was ok; and so far this season we got the continuation of that arc, and then a really long arc about Alderaan, which was very heavy on the politics on terrorism and foreign occupation, but it had more action than the political episodes of previous seasons.

Darth Maul? He died in Episode 1 didn't he? Is he a zombie/robot now?

That was season 4. The beginning was poor and first half of the season had alot of boring arcs. The 2nd half of the season was great though.

Jinroh

Boba Fett's original backstory is that he wore the armor of an evil group that the Jedi defeated during the Clone Wars (Empire novelization). This group was called "Mandalorians" in productions notes.. Notice that this background only refers to the armor as Mandalorian, not Fett himself.
So it doesn't come from George Lucas, right? I really have trouble understanding what I should consider cannon (= won't be retconed/destroyed) and what I should consider being entirely made up by outside artists for the EU.

Talon

So it doesn't come from George Lucas, right? I really have trouble understanding what I should consider cannon (= won't be retconed/destroyed) and what I should consider being entirely made up by outside artists for the EU.
So, I don't know if this is true anymore, but everything in the EU books passed by Lucas so he could confirm or reject.

I'm sure he stopped caring sometime in the last decade.

Well according to Lucas Boba's dad is Jango Fett who was a mandalorian so whose to know. It's never been explicitly clear. Really don't think to hard on it, the canon is purely based on the movies pretty much with everything else being within a continuity. Certain things don't fit so they will just get ignored like much of the old Marvel comic books. The folks at LFL attempt to keep it all into some form of continuity that all fits together and do retcons in various sources when they need to. Lucas really doesn't care about anything but his movies, everything else is up to employees at LFL to try and keep it all together.

Jinroh

So basically, I should "only" consider the movies, as well as clone wars canon, right?

But the cgi clone wars doesn't even match the cartoon clone wars D: It's really messy.

So basically, I should "only" consider the movies, as well as clone wars canon, right?

But the cgi clone wars doesn't even match the cartoon clone wars D: It's really messy.

it's another format, it's of course not going to match. They match in that they are telling different stories in the same universe, they aren't meant to play off each other, they are self contained and don't override each other.

You accept what you want to accept. To Lucas all that matters is his movies, he probably truly doesn't even care about much of the Clone Wars either since hes only partially involved. Folks consider it canon because Lucas is producer on it and some of the episodes are his idea, but he doesn't actually write or direct these stories so how much he actually approves of it all can be questionable even.

To the folks who work in the franchise, they try to keep it all part of a continuity.

Really you shouldn't worry about it and enjoy what you like. If your reading the novels or comics, then you got to consider it all. If you don't care about any of that, then only the movies will matter. But for those working on the Clone Wars, the video games, the books, the guides, encyclopedia, web source materials, etc... it all is part of one big continuity.

To Lucas all that matters is his movies, he probably truly doesn't even care about much of the Clone Wars either since hes only partially involved. Folks consider it canon because Lucas is producer on it and some of the episodes are his idea, but he doesn't actually write or direct these stories so how much he actually approves of it all can be questionable even.

From all I've read, he is very much involved in the Clone Wars. The stuff in them that pretty blatantly ignores the EU (like Adi Gallia's and Even Piell's deaths) comes directly from GL. He sits in on story meetings and is responsible for the overall arc story ideas - like bringing back Maul, the Mortis trilogy, etc. He reviews every single episode and sends notes back as to what he wants changed - unlike the novels, which he doesn't read at all.

j1voq.jpg

That's a picture of Dave Filoni, the showrunner, having to drop everything in the middle of Celebration VI to take a call from Lucas, who had a few notes on an episode he had just reviewed.

From all I've read, he is very much involved in the Clone Wars. The stuff in them that pretty blatantly ignores the EU (like Adi Gallia's and Even Piell's deaths) comes directly from GL. He sits in on story meetings and is responsible for the overall arc story ideas - like bringing back Maul, the Mortis trilogy, etc. He reviews every single episode and sends notes back as to what he wants changed - unlike the novels, which he doesn't read at all

Hes involved yes, but does he see it as truly his vision? In a few years when it's done is he even going to care?

Hes made direct story decisions about the novels as well but doubt he really even cares past that initial approval. NJO story arc received edits to it's overall plans because of Lucas input. Hes still not writing or directing, lot of stuff appearing in the show is obviously not his say but someone working on the show putting it in. Hes supposed to approve of it all but the early seasons apparently involved stories that he didn't create, it wasn't till more recent that hes supposed to have taken over more of the stories. Bunch of people try to say the Force Unleashed being canon because Lucas was involved in the stories creation. I doubt he remembers much of anything about that. No doubt hes directly involved in the show now and alot is coming direct from his own mouth, but I wouldn't be surprised if hes pretty loose on it in the future. Lucas is already pretty flippant about his own creations and willing to change them as he wants.

Well, I can't speak as to what's on Lucas' mind, all I'm saying is that he's far, far more involved in the Clone Wars than he has ever been in any EU project. There's a reason why Clone Wars canonically overrides everything but the movies.

Finally watched last weeks episode. Pretty big meh. They really should have done this one as a trilogy at best. The final battle again was pretty poorly directed, even the rebels looked bored by the crappy action of droids slowly marching towards them in rows. This show has had some excellent dynamic battles, but everything here was so stiff and lifeless. Reminds me of the awful underwater war from season 4's opening

Not a surprise given recent events, but this will be this season will likely be the last to air on Cartoon Network:

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Turner, a division of Time Warner, has the license for Star Wars: The Clone Wars only through the end of the 2012-13 season. Each year it has renewed its deal with Lucasfilm, and reps for both companies say they will make a decision on continuing the show around the end of the season.

In reality, Disney is very likely to move Clone Wars to one of its own networks, most likely Disney XD, an advertiser-supported cable TV channel targeted at boys.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/star-wars-clone-wars-leave-385661

Wonder if it will have major negative impact to it's ratings seeing that Disney XD is a bit more premium and uncommon channel than CN for various providers.

And also find it ironic that the upcoming Younglings episode features a wookie youngling jedi, when supposedly Lucas told Obsidian that there was no wookie Jedi and they scrapped one of their wookie jedi NPC paths for KOTOR 2.

Gray Man

Banned
Of course it will.

I'm not sold that they will send it to Disney XD, Cartoon network could very well negotiate a deal to finish the series on their network, then have reruns go to Disney. I really hope this whole situation doesn't screw over the clone wars, a lot of people are putting a huge amount of time and effort into it!

Cheebo

Banned
I'm not sold that they will send it to Disney XD, Cartoon network could very well negotiate a deal to finish the series on their network, then have reruns go to Disney. I really hope this whole situation doesn't screw over the clone wars, a lot of people are putting a huge amount of time and effort into it!

Bob Iger said the show is a good fit for Disney XD. It'll likely head there.

I really enjoyed today's episode, but I suspect many are going to hate this arc, as it is (deliberately) younger-skewing.

An edited together version of this arc was quietly shown at Celebration VI, and there's been a lot of speculation that this is a kind of backdoor pilot for the third, younger skewing, animated series Lucas had mentioned. It seems like the concept is Harry Potter in space.

And just like the premiere, this arc is being shown chronologically out-of order, as Adi Gallia is already dead.

Gray Man

Banned
Like the kids, glad it wasn't the Padme EP they were threatening us with. Government eps are so boring.

I don't think they are entirely borring, its hinted at that the Padme/Anikan episode might involve that guy that was with Padme a while back, some good Anikan going dark side potential there.

I really enjoyed today's episode, but I suspect many are going to hate this arc, as it is (deliberately) younger-skewing.

An edited together version of this arc was quietly shown at Celebration VI, and there's been a lot of speculation that this is a kind of backdoor pilot for the third, younger skewing, animated series Lucas had mentioned. It seems like the concept is Harry Potter in space.

And just like the premiere, this arc is being shown chronologically out-of order, as Adi Gallia is already dead.

This is one of those episodes where, yes its aimed at the kids, but if you can't sit back and enjoy it... well you're just being too serious. In the end Star Wars is for the kid in you.

antonz

I'm enjoying the arc. Its obviously a look kids can be cool Jedi type thing but its still an area lore wise hasn't explored much.

Hondo though man he just doesn't learn. Anakin is not going to take things lightly with where its going

catching up on the episodes I missed.
just finished the terrorist arc. a lot bodies dropped in that final episode.

starting on the jedi youngling arc right now. that little wookie looks cute lol

I'm enjoying the arc. Its obviously a look kids can be cool Jedi type thing but its still an area lore wise hasn't explored much.

Hondo though man he just doesn't learn. Anakin is not going to take things lightly with where its going
Hondo just used the last of his nine lives. Anakin is going to use him as foreshadowing material.

Youngling episodes haven't been that bad, expected something horrible but oddly liked them more than most of the whole Onderon crap. Looks like we are getting a real war episode this week with big space battles and all.

OK, I've never watched this but I'm a huge Star Wars fan, especially with regards to the EU (have read pretty much everything -_-). If I wanted to jump in, are the earlier seasons good enough to watch, or is there a specific place that would be best to start at? Also, how much is this targeted specifically at kids? If the show is legitimately interesting that's easy to look past, but if it's more like the Junior Jedi Knight books, I'd probably have to pass on it. That trailer in the OP sure piqued my interest though.

OK, I've never watched this but I'm a huge Star Wars fan, especially with regards to the EU (have read pretty much everything -_-). If I wanted to jump in, are the earlier seasons good enough to watch, or is there a specific place that would be best to start at? Also, how much is this targeted specifically at kids? If the show is legitimately interesting that's easy to look past, but if it's more like the Junior Jedi Knight books, I'd probably have to pass on it. That trailer in the OP sure piqued my interest though.

The show fluctuates in it's quality and the tone. Theres always some episodes each season that folks like to call the kiddy eps, while you got stuff that surprises many folks as how they let some of this air with the level of violence. Quality of writing and episodes also varies... you have some great clone wars battles episodes, then you might get a boring political episode, then some great story arc, then something meh. Each season has had it's ups and downs really but for a SW fan it's definitely worth a watch, just start from the beginning. The clone wars movie is the start and kinda average but after that just watch the seasons.

The show is an anthology series so it bounces around between characters, story arcs, and timeline.

Slayven

The show fluctuates in it's quality and the tone. Theres always some episodes each season that folks like to call the kiddy eps, while you got stuff that surprises many folks as how they let some of this air with the level of violence. Quality of writing and episodes also varies... you have some great clone wars battles episodes, then you might get a boring political episode, then some great story arc, then something meh. Each season has had it's ups and downs really but for a SW fan it's definitely worth a watch, just start from the beginning. The clone wars movie is the start and kinda average but after that just watch the seasons.

The show is an anthology series so it bounces around between characters, story arcs, and timeline.

Then you might get something that is hot fire like the Droid ep.

ShaneB

I just started watching from season 1 as well, and this pretty much sums it up. There are some episode arcs that are fantastic, and then you get the random episode where the battle droids deliver some terrible dialogue and just completely silly, and Jar Jar has already shown up far more than I ever want, but when the show is good, it is really good and just great fun Star Wars content.

Also, big pet peeve, I wish they'd tone down the blaster fire, I mean the droids seem to be shooting a million blasts per second, and still don't hit anything! :p

edit: I had even debated making a thread to debate comparing the older animated miniseries to this current run. One thing I absolutely loved about Tartakovsky's Clone Wars was how incredibly terrifying Grievous was in that iteration, and I thought his voice in that version was so damn badass. When he opened his mouth in ROTS I was crushed :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom