• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Coen Brothers: Questions about diversity are "idiotic"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two thoughts on this:

1. The factual truth of Hollywood in this period is filled with minorities, many of whose entire ethnic identities are erased. Ask Rita Hayworth what I mean.

2. The Coen Brothers have never been "realist" filmmakers, their films have always taken place in an abstracted and absurd caricature of reality. They're the type of filmmakers who care more about an emotional truth than a factual truth, so why can't they slightly fudge the racial diversity of an era if they can fudge everything else about reality?
I mean, they could.

Do you think they should go out of their way just to change a role, cast a minority actor, and check a box?

Siegcram

“It’s an absolute, absurd misunderstanding of how things get made to single out any particular story and say, ‘Why isn’t this, that or the other thing [included]?’” answered Joel. “It’s a fundamental misunderstanding of how stories are written. So you have to start there and say, ‘You don’t know what you’re talking about.’“
Actually a competent writer could answer such questions.

If anything is absurd, it's that a grown man can't name three minorities without resorting to outer space.

So which of their films are better about this? As I said earlier, the only times they've ever worked with minority actors in significant roles are: Javier Bardem in No Country, Irma P. Hall and Marlon Wayans in “The Ladykillers”, and a white-washed Oscar Isaac in "Inside Llewyn Davis".
Bardem is not a visual minority. He's a caucasian from Spain

Courage

Have the Coen brothers cast minority actors other than in Lady Killers and Bardem for No Country For Old Men? Their explanation doesn't help their case that much.

I have two thoughts on this:

1. The factual truth of Hollywood in this period is filled with minorities, many of whose entire ethnic identities are erased. Ask Rita Hayworth what I mean.

2. The Coen Brothers have never been "realist" filmmakers, their films have always taken place in an abstracted and absurd caricature of reality. They're the type of filmmakers who care more about an emotional truth than a factual truth, so why can't they slightly fudge the racial diversity of an era if they can fudge everything else about reality?

But they wouldn't be fudging it, only having white people is fudging it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So which of their films are better about this? As I said earlier, the only times they've ever worked with minority actors in significant roles are: Javier Bardem in No Country, Irma P. Hall and Marlon Wayans in “The Ladykillers”, and a white-washed Oscar Isaac in "Inside Llewyn Davis".
So ask them about there entire catalog of movies. Ask a thoughtful question and you may get a thoughtful answer. Ask a dumb question get a dumb answer.

xenist

Do they have a duty to include minorities in their stories?

massoluk

Banned
The answer is bit inflammatory with Martians shits, but uh yeah, the setting of the film doesn't really go for this argument the interviewer is going for.

I don't ask why is there no white person in a Hong Kong martial art film.

I saw the movie. I'm one of the minorities they're talking about in their quote. It didn't bother me. I mean, I'm sure they could write some part for a minority character, but this movie doesn't feel strange without one.

And there are DEFINITELY Jews in this movie. One of the funniest scenes involves discussing religion and the rabbi steals the scene.

Anyway, it's not their best movie, but it was enjoyable. There are definitely better targets for the whole race issue though.

Bit-Bit

Maybe we should wait to see the movie?

To me, it sounds like they're saying that they set out to make a good story (set in 1940 hollywood). And depending on the circumstances in the story for that time, maybe there wouldn't be any black character in a prominent role.

From what I can gleam from the trailers, it looks like the movie deals a lot with hollywood execs and prolific hollywood actors, so it's understandable that there wouldn't be a black character in a prominent role.

I mean, they've casted lots of non-white people in their movies plenty of time when the story demands for it. See No Country for Old Men where the main antagonist is a badass Latino.

I think their comment isn't well put together cause they probably felt attacked for something they don't see themselves as.

theaface

There's nothing to see here. If you actually read the article in full and in its proper context, they make an absolutely valid point, specifically about their movie. Disappointing how quick many are to take the topic title at face value and instantly act indignant at the 'white privilege' of it all. If you're reading the article and still come away offended, I don't get it.

There's nothing to see here. If you actually read the article in full and in its proper context, they make an absolutely valid point, specifically about their movie. Disappointing how quick many are to take the topic title at face value and instantly act indignant at the 'white privilege' of it all. If you're reading the article and still come away offended, I don't get it.
There's a discussion to be had. About the role of minorities in film.

Writing ethnic characters can be a catch 22. You don't do it, and people will complain. You do it, and people will complain.

I don't think it's the Coen Bros. Responsibility to put ethnic characters in their movies (they might not feel comfortable, worries they will make caricatures instead of characters), but maybe they should use some of their clout to help ethnic filmmakers get their movies made.

Also, they need to learn how to respond without sounding like shits. Be specific, and don't compare other ethnicities to martians. It's not hard.

If their justification is that they don't write stories and characters with a race in mind, then I don't see why not?
Yep. If they don't write for race why do all of the characters have to be the one race. It also pretty much destroys the "period piece" argument some are making imo.

Spinifex

I'm not racist, I don't care if you're black, brown, purple or green.

I'm not transphobic, I don't care if you want to be a man, woman, dolphin or lion.

Chuckie

The US already invaded Mars?

The%2BMartian%2BPoster.jpg

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
You don’t sit down and write a story and say, ‘I’m going to write a story that involves four black people, three Jews, and a dog,’ right? That’s not how stories get written. If you don’t understand that, you don’t understand anything about how stories get written and you don’t realize that the question you’re asking is idiotic.
Pretty much agree with this one. Let the writers write what they want to write. I don't think it's their job to please anyone. As if like it's not difficult enough to write something interesting and get it published...

stupei

To be fair, they say it's idiotic to single out a particular movie, not that the question of diversity in general is idiotic.

And they chose to frame that in the most idiotic way possible.

Even if you agree with their point you can't deny that Martians line is a horribly dumb thing to say.

This. It shows a total lack of perspective.

And honestly:

“It’s important to tell the story you’re telling in the right way, which might involve black people or people of whatever heritage or ethnicity -- or it might not.”

That does seem to suggest that, to an extent, they seem to think there are stories for white people and stories for people of color and that "whiteness" is a necessary default in a lot of their characters, given their track record. That is a little strange and it's a part of the current problem in Hollywood to think that you have to sit down and imagine a character must be a certain ethnicity in order to cast anyone who isn't white automatically.

I get that this film is about the golden era of hollywood, but there were non-white people working behind the scenes in various capacities by then. It wouldn't have been impossible. It just never occurred to them. That's the honest answer right there in their "how stories are made" defense. They didn't think of anyone but white people when they sat down to write because most of their life and media experience is of white people. That's how most Hollywood stories are made.

Pretty much agree with this one. Let the writers write what they want to write. I don't think it's their job to please anyone. As if like it's not difficult enough to write something interesting and get it published...

I don't think the Coens have had to worry about that for a long time though.

Moff

regardless of Hail Ceasar, whitecasting is an accusation the coen brothers need to deal with, what's the biggest black character they ever wrote/directed?

I do agree with the sentiment. The idea that we should shit on a movie just because it doesn't have any minority parts is a stupid one. Yeah, it sucks that minority actors have far less parts than white actors but the answer here isn't to shit over someone's hard work just because they're not fighting the good fight hard enough.

However I think what they were saying was worded really poorly and was never not going to lead to offending people.

1940s Hollywood wasn't all-white.

Same when people look at some period piece getting criticized and say "but that's how it was". No it wasn't. America, England, multicultural for ages. People have a skewed impression of certain periods exactly because of popular culture (mis-)representation.

This is certainly true.

The "well it was the time-period" argument really fails to hold water under scrutiny most of the time.

stupei

regardless of Hail Ceasar, whitecasting is an accusation the coen brothers need to deal with, what's the biggest black character they ever wrote/directed?

The article mentions that their only non-white main characters have been in No Country for Old Men and Ladykillers and I personally couldn't think of any others.

So this is about 50% of it.

I do agree with the sentiment. The idea that we should shit on a movie just because it doesn't have any minority parts is a stupid one. Yeah, it sucks that minority actors have far less parts than white actors but the answer here isn't to shit over someone's hard work just because they're not fighting the good fight hard enough.

However I think what they were saying was worded really poorly and was never not going to lead to offending people.

No one here is shitting on the movie though? I plan to see it on Sunday, and I'm sure it'll be a great time.

You can still like a thing or a creator's work and feel that they could be doing better in certain areas.

I think I get what they're saying... but that phrasing. Yeesh.

Exactly my thoughts. They sound a little aggressive and putting martians and dogs into it makes them look kinda ignorant.

Hollywood definitely needs to represent Americans better, it's not about white people only anymore and the society needs to call them out on it. Jewish people though are well represented since Hollywood is mosly Jewish but blacks, arabs, muslims ? hell no.

They're basically arguing from a position of artistic freedom and the responsibility of the artist to be true only to his own creative process and write and create the characters that he or she feels compelled and inspired to write.

They're saying they would never come at the writing process from a position of 'I need to make this movie so that it will have x, y and z in it'. Only people who don't understand the creative process believe you can approach art in this way.

The Coen Brothers commitment to their own voice and inner muse has made them two of the finest filmmakers of their generation. It's frankly absurd to question their credentials or to insinuate there might be anything shady about their decision not to use more diverse casts.

Mr. Sam

"Stories are written without race in mind."

So it's just a coincidence that 95% of all parts go to white people?

"It's wrong to single out one movie."

Alright, then how about we look at your entire filmography?

There's a staggering level of ignorance with the people supporting 'let's the writers write' and 'so they should just check boxes!?' wherein I find it impossible that they can't understand that this isn't or shouldn't be the case. Casting a minority actor should not be akin to affirmative action or forced by studios but it should be something that just happens, not thought about to prove a political point.

I love the Coen brothers and I'm sure that they thought the 'Martian' line was very clever. It wasnt. It was stupid and whilst I understand their whole point about this movie I feel much the same everyone in this thread who has expressed interest in why their films are predominantly skewed towards casting one race in almost every major role.

It's a shame but these people aren't necessarily so smart on their feet (directors, actors, musicians, etc...) and it's clearly just a fuckup.

Quick question, who is shitting on it? Minority journalist asked a question relevant to her experience, Coens gave an answer and people are responding to that.

He's right - this whole drive for minority quotas in the US at the moment is pretty clearly tackling the symptoms rather than the actual problem itself.

It seems the US doesn't want to tackle the actual problems like not linking school and police funds to property taxes which entrenches privilege and poverty, so is going for these not-really-solutions instead.

xenist

If their justification is that they don't write stories and characters with a race in mind, then I don't see why not?

Why? Is there some mandate? Maybe they don't have any stories about black people to tell. Maybe all the stories they have in them are about white people. You operate under the assumption that one starts a story with some sort of checklist.

As I said earlier, the road to more diversity in Hollywood is fighting to open up avenues for more diverse creators. But that's hard. So this kind of low effort pestering is a very alluring alternative.

The lack of diversity in movies like Hail Caesar probably wouldn't be brought up if Hollywood didn't regularly go out of their way to avoid casting minorities in roles where they belong. How often does Hollywood whitewash stories where the main character was black or Asian ?

Perhaps if these guys werent such smug, elitist pricks.. They'd understand such an obvious point of criticism and where it comes from

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
In full context I get what they are saying, but how they framed it is... idiotic.

How they framed it, makes perfect sense for a movie that is written and directed by just two people and not a committee. The Coens make the movies THEY want to make and they've been so successful at it they can easily finance them. This is different from movies and tv series that are not author driven, but market driven. Modern TV series often have large diverse, even multinational casts in order to target various demographics and international audiences. That's a far cry from what the Coens are doing. They consider themselves artists and they're not going to change one bit of their story for diversity's sake.

The Kree

Banned
Just asking the question elicits a response that lumps Blacks, Chinese, and Martians together. It's pretty amazing how it's always White people over here and everybody else over there. LOL And they never seem to realize how condescending it is.

theaface

There's a discussion to be had. About the role of minorities in film.

That's not what they were asked though. They were asked about minorities in their film, with seemingly little thought to whether it was a relevant/appropriate discussion to their film. It oversimplifies and therefore hurts the broader discussion when context is ignored.

Diversity is an important talking point, of course. But its place in film IS very much about context. I wouldn't expect the makers of The Revenant to respond to a challenge about the Bechdel test anymore than I would expect the makers of Saw to respond to a challenge about the representation of the LGBT community. As it pertains to the Coen brothers and this film, I can understand their frustration.

Why? Is there some mandate? Maybe they don't have any stories about black people to tell. Maybe all the stories they have in them are about white people. You operate under the assumption that one starts a story with some sort of checklist.

As I said earlier, the road to more diversity in Hollywood is fighting to open up avenues for more diverse creators. But that's hard. So this kind of low effort pestering is a very alluring alternative.
But then they're not writing characters without race in mind. They're writing white characters, which was not their answer.

stupei

Let's be honest here. There are answers they could have given that could suggest that they gave this some thought at some point before being asked this and becoming incredibly defensive. This is a story set in the 1940s, which were a very racist time in Hollywood and they didn't want to have a token minority character that they felt did too much to erase this racist past of the industry they're a part of. They didn't want to write another black janitor. They didn't see a solution this time, but they are looking for ways to be more inclusive in their next film. Just ... anything at all that suggests that they give a shit -- and understand that there is a difference between black people and Martians.

These answers would have still been slightly bullshit, but would have indicated a thoughtfulness that shows they actually take time to consider the existence of people other than white people during their creative process.

They didn't do that. Because that's not how their creative process works. People certainly understand that now.

Like, honestly, I'm seeing this movie on Saturday. But this response is embarrassing.

Yep. White isn't a default.

The thing is, I think it sort of is. Not that it SHOULD be that way, but I feel like nowadays the inclusion of any minority character in media creates an expectation that the said work (book/movie/etc) will deal with that minority's backstory because they're a minority. White characters don't create that expectation. That's my interpretation of it though.

Also, due to the prevalence of white roles, it's possible that people subconsciously assign whiteness to a default role.

I think increasing representation of minorities is a good thing to do, but isn't mandatory. Having an overwhelming majority of characters be white or black doesn't make the work worse, IMO.

They're basically arguing from a position of artistic freedom and the responsibility of the artist to be true only to his own creative process and write and create the characters that he or she feels compelled and inspired to write.

They're saying they would never come at the writing process from a position of 'I need to make this movie so that it will have x, y and z in it'. Only people who don't understand the creative process believe you can approach art in this way.

The Coen Brothers commitment to their own voice and inner muse has made them two of the finest filmmakers of their generation. It's frankly absurd to question their credentials or to insinuate there might be anything shady about their decision not to use more diverse casts.

So when people like Idris Elba, or Ava Duvernay speak about diversity and inclusion, it's because they don't understand the creative process?

Trokil

Banned
Alright, then how about we look at your entire filmography?

That's a pretty unfair point. If you make a movie about the white slacker subculture like the Big Lebowski to just include people because they are minorities would make no sense. The Coens make very special movies sometimes, so just counting would be a weird thing and also quite unfair.

Jigorath

Banned
I love the Coens but their casts have a tendency to be white as fuck. It's something they should probably be work on (though it doesn't seem like they care).

It's not absurd to question them on it when they really do have a lack of minority parts in thier films. Maybe they don't need to approach the creative process that way, but at least question themselves on why the default cast of characters they write are usually white.

Seems almost an aggressively defensive answer.

Merc_

He's right - this whole drive for minority quotas in the US at the moment is pretty clearly tackling the symptoms rather than the actual problem itself.

It seems the US doesn't want to tackle the actual problems like not linking school and police funds to property taxes which entrenches privilege and poverty, so is going for these not-really-solutions instead.

What? A symptom is what's happening with the Oscars. Filmmakers actually play a huge role in who gets cast in a movie. This is going for one of the sources of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom