• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The colors of this photo will appear different to everyone. I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sooo I walked past Roman today....

ibu0OPvTa3brjG.JPG

ibpdkIzV16can4.JPG

Frillen

OK guys,

I've thought long and hard about this and have come to my conclusion.

While I see it White and Gold I can fully accept other people's decision to view it as Black and Blue instead.

If they want to look at that dress and say that the colours are Black and Blue then that is their choice and their decision to do so and I should respect that decision.

Personally, I don't see it Black and Blue but who am I to judge others who choose to see it that way?

The dress has been confirmed to be black and blue though :p

Griss

It's hella blue now when I look at it. maybe my eyes were tired? I saw an article saying we become less sensitive to blue light as we get older.

http://time.com/3725528/dress-explainer-white-gold-blue-black-science/

Post your age and the color you see! LOL

I'm 32, saw white/gold at first, now I see blue/black.

Yeah, I'm 31 and saw white and gold for a long time.

Strange thing is that when the colours change, it's not just that you 'figured it out' and thus can discern what the colours really are, but it seems like the colours radically change completely and you can't even believe what you saw earlier.

JohnsonUT

Are people who see Black/Blue superior at picking out the lighting context clues from the picture and correctly compensating to determine the right color?

Are people who see Black/Blue superior humans?

Violet_0

Banned
Are people who see Black/Blue superior at picking out the lighting context clues from the picture and correctly compensating to determine the right color?

might be, but they are apparently unable to differentiate gold/yellow-brown from black so it kinda evens out

I do have to say that I'm surprised by the persistence this illusion has had for me. With most illusions (like the spinning girl), I can will myself to make it 'flip,' but I absolutely can't see the dress in this picture as anything other than white and gold.

Pete Rock

A false dilemma (also called black-and-white thinking, bifurcation, denying a conjunct, the either–or fallacy, false dichotomy, fallacy of exhaustive hypotheses, the fallacy of false choice, the fallacy of the false alternative, or the fallacy of the excluded middle) is a type of informal fallacy that involves a situation in which only limited alternatives are considered, when in fact there is at least one additional option.
This is just nonsense and is not particularly interesting in terms of actual tricks on the optic system that have been programmed and illustrated in the past, many of which have already been posted in this thread.

If this does anything, personally, I find it illustrates the fact that people will always be in a rush to be right and prove someone else wrong, even when presented with two totally bullshit options.

Okay, so I see it both ways, if I look at the very top part it looks white and gold. If I look at the bottom it looks blue and a very dark brown. For most of the photo it looks white and gold to me.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

The ones who can see both are homo superior.

Kriken

So GAF, I will attach the explanation below. TL DR, some of you will primarily see blue and black in this photo, and some will see white and gold. I personally see blue and black, while my girlfriend sees white and gold.

There is also a chance that I am full of shit, so see for yourself and compare results.

tumblr_nkcjuq8Tdr1tnacy1o1_1280.jpg

This is actually the first time I've seen both White&Gold(top) and Black&Blue(bottom) in the same pic for the dress

I saw this on a few different websites today and every time I saw white and gold.

For the heck of it, I clicked in here to see what the discussion was. Pic in OP, again white and gold.

I read a couple pages, go back to the OP and suddenly I am seeing blue and black (ish).

I'm on my tablet so can't check to see if the pic is actually a slowly animating image that is changing colour. But if it's not, I am amazed.

Konka

Banned
[Fugo];153901328 said:
It's White and Gold, who says otherwise is a dangerous speciment made out of alien DNA

Yeah, that is the effect that an overexposed, poorly taken photo will have on a black and blue dress. Good job.

Frillen

Oh I know the original dress is Black and Blue but the photo quite evidently portrays it as White and Gold.

It doesn't. I've seen various pictures of it around the net, and every single time I see black/blue. Even when someone has changed the contrast or lightning, I still see black/blue.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
This is just nonsense and is not particularly interesting in terms of actual tricks on the optic system that have been programmed and illustrated in the past, many of which have already been posted in this thread.

If this does anything, personally, I find it illustrates the fact that people will always be in a rush to be right and prove someone else wrong, even when presented with two totally bullshit options.

What's so bullshit about how numerous people are fundamentally different in the way they perceive the colors of the same object?

It doesn't. I've seen various pictures of it around the net, and every single time I see black/blue. Even when someone has changed the contrast or lightning, I still see black/blue.

Personally I see it as White and Gold but I respect your decision to view it as Black and Blue.

Konka

Banned
What's so bullshit about how numerous people are fundamentally different in the way they perceive the colors of the same object?

If your brain sees it and is aware that it is an overexposed photo it shouldn't be hard to see that it is black and blue.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I see light blue and super ugly dark gold.

I can tell how people see the Blue/Black though. It's pretty easy to get that.

When I see a smaller picture of it it makes me think Blue/Black.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
If your brain sees it and is aware that it is an overexposed photo it shouldn't be hard to see that it is black and blue.

People aren't arguing about what color the dress should be though, they're arguing over what color they see in the photo. The fact that the photo is altered doesn't have anything to do with the divide in perception.

TuXx

My eyes are bugging out. One second I see blue and black then the next second I see white and gold. My eyes literally can't decide what color this fucking dress is

When I woke up 4 hours ago I saw white/gold, I just checked again and now its blue/black(ish).

Did you edit the pic, OP? I feel mindfucked :/

Konka

Banned
People aren't arguing about what color the dress should be though, they're arguing over what color they see in the photo. The fact that the photo is altered doesn't have anything to do with the divide in perception.

Some peoples brains perceive the colors correctly and some peoples don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom