• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Conversation-killing menace that is Spoilerphobia might finally be on the decline

Status
Not open for further replies.

DedValve

Banned
So what you're saying is that the rise of spoilerphobia is directly correlated to the success of Marvel movies.

which is hilarious because we follow marvel movies from pre-concept rumor stage and watch it like a hawk all throughout its life. We made damn sure Spiderman could never be a spoiler in Captain America.

At the end of the day spoilerphobics need to remember that everything they're talking about is FAKE. Even if you find out that the Jungle Book has a forest in it, Uncharted 4's E3 2015 demo takes place in Chapter whatever it was, or Harry's eyes are the same color as his mom's, you'll still have your friends, family, and health.

RDreamer

Maybe I'm weird, but spoilers often make me more interested in a thing.

Like, the "Red Wedding" was spoiled for me probably a decade ago. But the knowledge of that event is what made me think ASoIaF was worth picking up and reading.

Nope same here. Whenever I hear a spoiler, especially if it's intriguing I'm more often like "I need to see why/how that happens!"

In my opinion if the why/how aren't good enough to carry your story/game/whatever and a spoiler actually hurts it, then what you're peddling isn't that good to begin with. And if you read/watch things such that the spoiler would ruin the why/how... you're probably watching things wrong. Chill out and enjoy the experience. Stop sitting there trying to be surprised or figure out in your head what's gonna happen next.

Not all that weird. Quite a few people on GAF have expressed an enjoyment for the comic threads that Slayven and others participate in and those are just huge lists of crazy spoilers from the last several decades of comics.
It is very funny to me how no one cares about (superhero) comic spoilers. We can spoil and post pics all we want and everyone is happy.

Akahige

Eh I don't care a whole lot about spoilers anymore. It's nice to have something revealed while watching/reading/playing something for the first time but i won't get up in arms about something. It can be annoying to be spoiled about some things I will admit.

My favorite was when Bloodborne's DLC came out, and everyone insisted that the names of all bosses had to be spoiler tagged, even if they were a character that had not been mentioned to exist prior to their appearance as a boss in the DLC or whose name was generic enough to not have any actual significance.

I seriously had someone get snippy at me for not spoiler-tagging "The Living Failures". There was no context for what that might even mean in the conversation, just literally, "I don't think The Living Failures were a very good boss."

border

I don't know why people get so twisted about superfluous spoiler tags. So what if somebody tagged a Top 10 list or an album track listing? Who cares? They either did it out of irony or courtesy....you clicked on the black bars and got the information you wanted. I don't see how it's any skin off your back that it got tagged.

I don't know why people get so twisted about superfluous spoiler tags. So what if somebody tagged a Top 10 list or an album track listing? Who cares? They either did it out of irony or courtesy....you clicked on the black bars and got the information you wanted. I don't see how it's any skin off your back that it got tagged.

It's no so much the person tagging it. It's more that it's speaking to the ridiculous group of people that get upset had it not been tagged.

It's not the fact that they do it, it's that they get up in arms and attempt to shut you down if you dare to not spoil tag that list.

Two reasons:

One, it's annoying and stupid.

Two, it diminishes the use of actual spoiler tags if at any given time you don't know if they're being used ironically.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
People aren't good at thinking for themselves.

I believe the internet has a way of creating echo chambers and establishing extreme reactions and behaviors as the norm.

Do you REALLY care about a forest being in the Jungle Book or are you so accustomed to watching other people freak out that you mistake the status quo for your own feelings?

If you openly post spoilers for something recent, you are just being an asshole. It only takes a tiny bit of common courtesy to warn folks for fucks sake. And yes it does affect the enjoyment of a film/book/comic/etc

fuzzyset

Nope same here. Whenever I hear a spoiler, especially if it's intriguing I'm more often like "I need to see why/how that happens!"

In my opinion if the why/how aren't good enough to carry your story/game/whatever and a spoiler actually hurts it, then what you're peddling isn't that good to begin with. And if you read/watch things such that the spoiler would ruin the why/how... you're probably watching things wrong. Chill out and enjoy the experience. Stop sitting there trying to be surprised or figure out in your head what's gonna happen next.

This is basically exactly what I came in here to say.

What if a movie ends by revealing Luke skywalker? As a show of courtesy I'm not going to say which movie of course.
That was actually spoiled for me weeks beforehand and, personally, it didn't bother me (not to mention I had so many issues with the movie that I didn't really care by the end.)

Last year, I had someone blow up on me because I said "Snape kills Dumbledore" in a conversation, and he was upset because he was still reading Half Blood Prince. It's been ten years! Spoilerphobia is dumb.

This turns my stomach. Just flat out the most offensive thread I've ever seen.

I can name family members that have collapsed from witnessing spoilers, wept at the pictures and accounts of the spoiled material, was taught all the horrors of it from primary school (Planet of the Apes), through my whole life (Star Wars). It's only ever been a symbol of the folly of spoilers, the worst, most black and shameful era of spoiler culture history. I've been to the actual film sets, held the minutes media blackout without fail every spoiler rememberence day my entire life, for as long as I could understand the meaning of it.

There is no glory in this spoiler culture. No thrilling action or daring do, no heroes and villains, this was mass spoilage, a scar on the history of our species, and every single person involved in it was a victim.

This culture, the entire concept of spoilers, makes me feel physically sick, and just so fucking angry.

How fucking dare anyone make spoilers like this.

I don't know what's worse, the sick fucking emotionless, greedy cunts that would seriously spoil this film, or the ignorant, soulless bastards that will give them money and enjoy it.

Anyone involved in this, or seriously think of buying this, should be ashamed of themselves.

border

It's not the fact that they do it, it's that they get up in arms and attempt to shut you down if you dare to not spoil tag that list.

It's no so much the person tagging it. It's more that it's speaking to the ridiculous group of people that get upset had it not been tagged.

Is there really a lynch mob of people who flip out about Top 10 lists? Were there torches and pitchforks in the Radiohead thread?

I mean there are certainly people who would prefer to see that stuff tagged, but it's rare to see them being violently or passionately aggressive about it. Half the time it seems like arguments start when someone whines about the spoiler tag....

I dunno man. A day or two ago we had a thread about whether Crash Bandicoot might be returning in a new game, using as one piece of evidence a cameo in Uncharted 4, and people wigged out about how this was a huge spoiler, enough so that even late in the thread the people actually discussing it were still covering everything in spoiler tags, and people were dropping in demanding apologies for being spoiled. It was totally ridiculous.

Let's be honest, GAF is going to be a severely lagging indicator about this kind of thing.

Eumi

When was that thread about the guy who was pissed that news sites spoiled that Silent Hills existed?

Cause that. That's spoiler culture.

Blader

Maybe I'm weird, but spoilers often make me more interested in a thing.

Like, the "Red Wedding" was spoiled for me probably a decade ago. But the knowledge of that event is what made me think ASoIaF was worth picking up and reading.

Actually this is sometimes true for me too. I didn't start watching Lost until halfway through S3, watched a few eps on and off, but it was the flashforward ending in the finale that actually convinced me to go back and watch the whole show.

Re: Radiohead -- the tracklist was deliberately withheld until release, so if anything that hasn't been officially released ahead of time is considered a spoiler, then that would by definition be a spoiler.

Is there really a lynch mob of people who flip out about Top 10 lists? Were there torches and pitchforks in the Radiohead thread?

I mean there are certainly people who would prefer to see that stuff tagged, but it's rare to see them being violently or passionately aggressive about it. Half the time it seems like arguments start when someone whines about the spoiler tag....
I haven't read that thread, I've seen it before on gaming side where people were getting mad that the top 10 list of whatever topic isn't spoiler tagged in the OP

I hate spoilers and spoiling me on the internet is literally the worst thing you can do. I do not care about personal insults or any other shit at all. I do not even want to know if a movie/book/game has a twist. Please be respectful to us.

GamerJM

Banned
On one hand spoilerphobia online is ridiculous (spoilers for tracklists? For tournament results? Why?). On another hand I at least kind of get it, because websites can just give people a spoiler tag option which basically fixes all of the problems. I'd argue that we don't even really need separate discussion threads for spoilers as long as people properly use spoiler tags. Of course people often don't properly use them.

Posting a big plot twist on Twitter or something is just dumb though IMO. So is "live-tweeting," any piece of entertainment. And I don't think there needs to be a grace period (though I guess there is more leniency for when a plot detail has become ingrained in pop culture).

Basically, I like the idea behind avoiding spoilers but people take it way too far.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I generally prefer not to be spoiled but I'm not too upset when I am. Though I do find it irritating that some people take such glee in deliberately spoiling things for others.

Basically, don't be an asshole about it. And don't be ridiculous about the time frame.

Couleurs

Spoilers don't bother me for the most part, but I just wish people would learn how to use spoiler tags properly if they're going to use them.

Like if someone has a post that says "Wow I just killed Boss X in (some game) and I can't believe
this one crazy thing happened
in the cutscene" then thats fine since at least you know the context of the spoiler and can decide whether you want to click it depending on how far you are.

Instead you get people using spoiler tags for their entire 5 paragraph post without giving any sort of clue about what the post is about. Is it a discussion about a major plot twist at the last boss? A minor comment about a weapon the first boss is using? WHO KNOWS.

Sometimes it goes a bit overboard, but I still understand wanting to avoid spoilers within certain limits. Like if an anticipated movie just came out and I haven't gotten around to seeing it just yet, I don't want to be browsing in OT and see "How did you feel when the hero died in the second act?!"

Sulik2

I kind of love spoilers in a lot of cases. I hate having to wait to learn something. I don't even watch GoT, but I love spoiling it.

BobbyRoberts ruined Star Wars for me.

Oh, I ruin lots of things for people.

There's a bunch of whiny fuckers out there who can't stop complaining about me.

I'm not completely unsympathetic. I suck sometimes.

For real though, the tracklist to an album isn't a spoiler. I don't even know how you could consider that the case. Reading the tracklist doesn't cause the music inside the album to magically appear in your ears. You haven't spoiled anything.

Sometimes it goes a bit overboard, but I still understand wanting to avoid spoilers within certain limits. Like if an anticipated movie just came out and I haven't gotten around to seeing it just yet, I don't want to be browsing in OT and see "How did you feel when the hero died in the second act?!"

Pretty much my thoughts on this as well. But I have a feeling this conversation (at least I hope) is more about the extremes of people being afraid of spoilers.

I have a question, I was a little annoyed that someone posted screenshots and linked a video to a spoiler about the new Doom game. The spoiler in question was
the inclusion of classic style levels like Doom 1 and 2 in the game
Is that considered ridiculous to some people here? I just think it would have been awesome to find that on my own when playing through it. Of course it won't ruin my experience of the game but still.

It goes without saying that it's nothing like dropping a huge plot twist in a movie but some spoiler tags on those pics and video would have been appreciated.

Miker

My favorite was when Bloodborne's DLC came out, and everyone insisted that the names of all bosses had to be spoiler tagged, even if they were a character that had not been mentioned to exist prior to their appearance as a boss in the DLC or whose name was generic enough to not have any actual significance.

I seriously had someone get snippy at me for not spoiler-tagging "The Living Failures". There was no context for what that might even mean in the conversation, just literally, "I don't think The Living Failures were a very good boss."

The spoiler culture surrounding Souls games is the weirdest for me. I get that it's #deeplore and stuff, but spoiler tagging weapon names and boss names and area names and everything about a series that prides itself on its inscrutability just doesn't make sense to me.

Acerac

Banned
A spoiler is coming into a conversation about Harry Potter 12 years ago and telling everyone that snape kills dumbledore for no reason.

According to this poll once the book was released it was fair game to drive by the bookstore where everyone is lining up and give away all the plot points. Apparently in all those videos where this happened and people got upset, the people who got mad were in the wrong.

I disagree strongly with the majority in this case.

"conversation killer"

I thought someone on GAF put it pretty well. It's pretty easy to abide by the common courtesy of no spoilers, when you aren't around nerds.

Oh, I ruin lots of things for people.

There's a bunch of whiny fuckers out there who can't stop complaining about me.

I'm not completely unsympathetic. I suck sometimes.

For real though, the tracklist to an album isn't a spoiler. I don't even know how you could consider that the case. Reading the tracklist doesn't cause the music inside the album to magically appear in your ears. You haven't spoiled anything.

Bobby Roberts' Noble End.

Heartfyre

I hate that seemingly every thread for every trailer starts with someone asking "Is it safe to watch this?" As if a pre-release trailer is deliberately created to ruin your enjoyment of the final product. Seeing people complain about the Uncharted 4 story trailer for containing story elements presented out of context is ridiculous in itself, but there were people complaining about them showing off environments. Rocky crags and turquoise oceans can be spoilers, apparently. What is never revealed to me, however, is what is actually ruined by seeing them in advance, devoid of the context of their place within the game.

The spoiler culture surrounding Souls games is the weirdest for me. I get that it's #deeplore and stuff, but spoiler tagging weapon names and boss names and area names and everything about a series that prides itself on its inscrutability just doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah, it's pretty funny considering even if you have all available information you still basically need to set up a cork board with post-it notes and red strings like you're doing police detective work to even figure out the most basic stuff, but somehow people think they're going to completely unravel the mysteries of the game because now they know there's a forest, somewhere, and people might have died there.

Like, it almost seems like the trend has become for the desire for spoiler tags/warnings to be inversely proportional to the actual usefulness of the tags.

shoreu

I'm so happy people hate spoiler culture like I do. I almost never spoil but I can't stand seeing complain about the small shit

No, that's not what this poll says.

Read the article and look at the pie-charts contained within.

RIPT4B3.gif

Despera

Banned
I managed to successfully avoid almost all spoilers so far, and I browse the internet every day.

You just have to be smart about it, and hope that some random asshole doesn't drop spoilers in an unrelated thread.

Dalek

There's a silly little mobile game I'm playing called Avengers Academy and they are having a Civil War event. The characters in the games are basically kid versions of Iron Man, Cap, Wasp, Black Widow, etc. There was a guy in the thread that said he was "scared" to play the event because there might be spoilers.

Orbis

I'd never spoil someone else, and I'll defend people from spoilers if I can. But I honestly don't care about spoilers personally. I find it very hard to think of any that could actually ruin an experience for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom