• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Creator of PSPlay has released XBXPlay - The Xbox Equivalent of Playstation's Best Console Streaming App

52654693917_6729c0d15e_o.png

Google Play Store Link

• Allows for 1080p/60fps streaming
  • Manual fixed bitrate options up to 50mbps (official app streams closer to 15mbps w/ drops)
  • Unlike the official Xbox Remote Play app, allows for streaming of backwards compatible Xbox 360 and Xbox games
  • Allows for real-time hardware decoding to reduce latency
  • Optimized for low latency streaming
  • Just as with PSPlay, XBXPlay is Android only

I've been using this for the past few days and it is VASTLY superior to the official Xbox app version. Picture quality is near-native, latency is kept to a minimum, and I can actually play my entire library of games. It's a no-brainer for those who use Remote Play/console streaming on their Xbox.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
How is it better than native? Like how does it enable higher bit rates and reduce latency? Is it not using all background services? Just enabling higher bit rates that are locked in the app etc?

How is it better than native? Like how does it enable higher bit rates and reduce latency? Is it not using all background services? Just enabling higher bit rates that are locked in the app etc?

You'd have to ask the creator, but I think it really comes down to Remote Play being a low priority for Microsoft (and probably Sony). Microsoft keeps bitrates lower and doesn't allow for any manual customization for the sake of "simplicity" and ensuring compatibility for even the worst network environments without the end user having to touch anything. Whereas with PSPlay/XBXPlay, the creator spent several weeks optimizing latency and image quality for every level of network throughput/reliability, and allows end-user granular configuration for settings that were forced as "automatic" in the official app.

I really think it just comes down to the big companies not really caring much and/or allocating resources towards making remote play the best experience possible.

spons

Took someone long enough to make this since the protocol was reverse engineered years ago.
Not saying it's easy to make this, it's just that I'm surprised it took so long. Will try this out on my smartphone soon.

DocEbok

Wish there was one for the steamdeck. Ms just wants you to use xcloud which sucks in comparison to local streaming.
moonlight was filling this void for me... worked will with gamepass games on pc...but now nvidia is shutting it down :(
hopefully sunshine alternative with get worked on more now

Last edited:

reksveks

Use remote play alot for my jrpgs so will definitely give it a go, the main issue that I have is just waking the series s up or connecting to it.

Reactions: Isa

FeldMonster

Downloaded the app. ($5.99 by the way).

It is quite nice. Some major advantages over the official Xbox app. 1080P and bit rate control is key.

However, what I really appreciated was the touch controls and complete access to my entire Xbox, including streaming apps and the Xbox store!

Touch controls are nice for slow and/or turn based games. Microsoft only offers touch controls for XCloud, not remote play (which is really frustrating). Access to the store is nice because I can buy a game or movie directly and not have to search the website (which is awful compared to the built-in store).

Alpha Male

Holy cow this actually works really well on my Xbox....because it's wired ethernet. ...I never could get remote play to work very well before but this is so smooth and lag free on 5 ghz at my house.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
Downloaded the app. ($5.99 by the way).

It is quite nice. Some major advantages over the official Xbox app. 1080P and bit rate control is key.

However, what I really appreciated was the touch controls and complete access to my entire Xbox, including streaming apps and the Xbox store!

Touch controls are nice for slow and/or turn based games. Microsoft only offers touch controls for XCloud, not remote play (which is really frustrating). Access to the store is nice because I can buy a game or movie directly and not have to search the website (which is awful compared to the built-in store).

Good points! Touch controls are really nice.

You can also play Retroarch/ any of the emulator apps with XSXPlay.

It’s awesome playing GameCube games on my handheld being streamed from my Xbox.

MarkMe2525

It's great. I am a frequent user of remote play on my xbox. In my situation, I have nothing but good experiences with the official app but this is still an upgrade. Maybe it's a placebo, but I really feel like the hardware decoding shaves a little more off of the latency.

The touch controls are a great addition and work really well. They will be great for turn based or similarly slow paced games.

An unsung feature is the ability to use the store front remotely. You are no longer locked out of anything. The addition of playing 360 games pushes this to "great buy" for frequent remote play users.

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

I've been able to remote outside my place to my ps5 with psplay , remote connect, not just local. Can't seem to figure it out here

MarkMe2525

52654693917_6729c0d15e_o.png

Google Play Store Link

• Allows for 1080p/60fps streaming
  • Manual fixed bitrate options up to 50mbps (official app streams closer to 15mbps w/ drops)
  • Unlike the official Xbox Remote Play app, allows for streaming of backwards compatible Xbox 360 and Xbox games
  • Allows for real-time hardware decoding to reduce latency
  • Optimized for low latency streaming
  • Just as with PSPlay, XBXPlay is Android only

I've been using this for the past few days and it is VASTLY superior to the official Xbox app version. Picture quality is near-native, latency is kept to a minimum, and I can actually play my entire library of games. It's a no-brainer for those who use Remote Play/console streaming on their Xbox.
So as of this morning, 360 games will not launch for me, nor can I visit the Store front. This is so odd as last night, it worked without a hitch.

Edit: nevermind, I had 720p resolution set which deactivates those features.

Last edited:

Schmick

So this means i'll be able to play Red Dead Redemption 1? The official method doesn't let you.

Last edited:

Schmick

Works very well. I do wish it had FPS Boost though, as 30fps games are not the most pleasant to play with Remote Play.
I'm having problems with it unfortuantely. Its actually unplayable for me at the moment. Remote play via official Xbox app works absolutely fine but if i use this new app it doesnt work and i dont know why.

I've tried manually setting the bitrate to 50 without any success. I tried RDR and Forza 7 and had the same result playing both games.

My setup is:

Original Xbox One connected to network via a ethernet cable.
5ghz wifi connection to my phone
Phone is a Samsung S20 with Android 11.
Controller is a Razor Kishi.

I hope i can get it to work because i cant play RDR via the official Xbox app.

I'm having problems with it unfortuantely. Its actually unplayable for me at the moment. Remote play via official Xbox app works absolutely fine but if i use this new app it doesnt work and i dont know why.

I've tried manually setting the bitrate to 50 without any success. I tried RDR and Forza 7 and had the same result playing both games.

My setup is:

Original Xbox One connected to network via a ethernet cable.
5ghz wifi connection to my phone
Phone is a Samsung S20 with Android 11.
Controller is a Razor Kishi.

I hope i can get it to work because i cant play RDR via the official Xbox app.

Strange! Maybe you can try contacting the creator directly on reddit. There's a sub for the app. /r/xbxplay.

Alpha Male

How do you set this up like the official app does so you aren't “tethered" to your console with the controller? I assume there is some way to connect the controller via Bluetooth to my phone/tablet and play that way?

How do you set this up like the official app does so you aren't “tethered" to your console with the controller? I assume there is some way to connect the controller via Bluetooth to my phone/tablet and play that way?

You can use a Razer Kishi or Backbone controller or any controller paired to your phone/device.

You can pair your Xbox controller to any bluetooth device just by holding the connect button on the controller and then going into bluetooth pairing mode on your device to find the controller and pair it.

jorgejjvr

got it all working, crazy how well this works, he is so good

now i can remote play to my console and have full control even without a controller due to the virtual controls, plus access all things on my consoles, and yeah better resolution and responsiveness when playing with my kishi

wild, so good

Top Bottom