• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll have to wait for the big Barnes and Noble sale. There is one in November and December right?

I know the Jacques Tati set will be out. So I'll get that + Three Colors for sure.

I find the criterion sales to be cheaper from their site as I don't pay taxes or shipping if my purchase is over $50. Plus, you accrue criterion loyality points, of which you can eventually cash in for a $50 gift certificate. So it ends up being a better deal overall.

XShagrath

I find the criterion sales to be cheaper from their site as I don't pay taxes or shipping if my purchase is over $50. Plus, you accrue criterion loyality points, of which you can eventually cash in for a $50 gift certificate. So it ends up being a better deal overall.

If you've got the B&N Membership and can find an employee/manager willing to do coupon deals, then you can get them really cheap from those sales.

In July, I came in with a bunch of coupons and the lady had to call over the manager. I was for sure I was going to get shot down, but he rang up the 3 titles ($18 each), applied the $5 off $50 coupon, and then applied my 3 15% off coupons, which brought it under $50 and voided out the first coupon. Then he manually went in and took the $5 back off. That put me at $14.45 a title (after tax). Then I pulled some more coupons out of my pocket and he had no problem doing the same thing for another batch.

ngower

Tonight was the Wexner talk. You can see the archived version here:

Someone summarized the talk on the blu-ray.com forums, which can be read here:

The Apu Trilogy (1955-1959, Satyajit Ray) will be released both theatrically and on DVD and Blu-ray in 2015.
A Brighter Summer Day (1991, Edward Yang) is still in the works. The restoration and the extras are still being worked on.
The Koker Trilogy (1987-1994, Abbas Kiarostami) is in the works.
The Soft Skin (1964, François Truffaut) is coming soon.
An artwork book of Criterion designs will be released on November 28, 2014.
There will be more Warner Bros. titles in the future, with some titles potentially coming from Pre-Code Hollywood.
There will be more Wes Anderson films in The Criterion Collection (Moonrise Kingdom (2012) seems to be the most likely title).
There will be more Krzysztof Kieslowski films in The Criterion Collection (A restored version of Blind Chance was shown at Cannes 2014).
There will be more David Lynch films in The Criterion Collection.
There will be more Terrence Malick films in The Criterion Collection (The New World seems to be the most likely title as it coincidences with the announcement of future Warner Bros. titles).
There will be more Pier Paolo Pasolini films in The Criterion Collection.
There will be more Victor Erice films in The Criterion Collection.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
There will be more Warner Bros. titles in the future, with some titles potentially coming from Pre-Code Hollywood.
There will be more David Lynch films in The Criterion Collection.
There will be more Victor Erice films in The Criterion Collection.

smiley-headbanging.gif

More Erice = El Sur, hopefully

big ander

Koker will be a must-have (those films are still far too hard to see here in the US), Apu trilogy will be great to have, pre-code stuff could be cool if they dig up some gems, Lynch and Malick will be nice, I would rather see something like Camera Buff over Blind Chance but hey any kieslowski blu is good.

omgkitty

Do we know what was said about Melville? Someone asked if they'd be getting his films back, and she responded without a mic.

swoon

Do we know what was said about Melville? Someone asked if they'd be getting his films back, and she responded without a mic.

probably just a reference to his cameo in breathless.

outside of maybe the tcm re-hashes with the wb stuff and the apu triolgy this seems like more of the same and stuff other companies have been releasing.

Ridley327

This was the quote regarding the Studio Canal films:

"I can't announce today that [bringing StudioCanal titles back into print] is happening"

With Lionsgate dumping so many of their Studio Canal licenses on Amazon, I don't think it's a stretch to assume that talks between them and Criterion have accelerated. It's a shame that Studio Canal had to learn the hard way about how shitty Lionsgate is, but that's how it is.

omgkitty

probably just a reference to his cameo in breathless.

outside of maybe the tcm re-hashes with the wb stuff and the apu triolgy this seems like more of the same and stuff other companies have been releasing.

With Lionsgate dumping so many of their Studio Canal licenses on Amazon, I don't think it's a stretch to assume that talks between them and Criterion have accelerated. It's a shame that Studio Canal had to learn the hard way about how shitty Lionsgate is, but that's how it is.

Yeah I went on the Criterionforums and it looks like she essentially dodged the question, naming a few titles to ask which he was referring to and then moved on.

Ridley327

Wonder what other WB titles we will get. Is love a Criterion edition of The Maltese Falcon. Or White Heat. Or The Roaring Twenties.

Well, I imagine that with Blowup being rumored for as long as it has, it will finally see the light of day with this new deal. I imagine they'd want to swing for Zabriskie Point as well, just to have round out their Antonioni output.

I imagine that Criterion would absolutely love to release McCabe & Mrs. Miller and The Devils, so I think they'll be fighting for those extra hard.

The B&W stuff is hard to pin down. The Maltese Falcon would be a massive get for them, but I don't know if WB would be comfortable with giving away such a well-known Bogart film like that, especially when they already have their own stacked Blu-ray release out there already.

Draconian

I mean, he hasn't really made a bad film. I don't like Fantastic Mr. Fox, but it's still a pretty impressive accomplishment.

I don't think he's made bad films, but I just think it's kind of silly. I'm not that upset about it. There are plenty of films they've put out that I don't like but somebody out there does.

On a more positive note, Seven Samurai came in yesterday and the packaging looks oh so good!

Shiv47

If they're really getting WB titles, The Devils would be amazing (though I doubt WB will ever let it be released in the US), but I'd like to see Criterion rescue The Magnificent Ambersons, since WB has demonstrated that they don't give a shit about it, whatever their reps have said. Criterion did an amazing LD release of Ambersons back in the day, so I'd love to see what they could come up with now.

omgkitty

Well, I imagine that with Blowup being rumored for as long as it has, it will finally see the light of day with this new deal. I imagine they'd want to swing for Zabriskie Point as well, just to have round out their Antonioni output.

I imagine that Criterion would absolutely love to release McCabe & Mrs. Miller and The Devils, so I think they'll be fighting for those extra hard.

The B&W stuff is hard to pin down. The Maltese Falcon would be a massive get for them, but I don't know if WB would be comfortable with giving away such a well-known Bogart film like that, especially when they already have their own stacked Blu-ray release out there already.

I've never understood this. Anyone who wants the Maltese Falcon, most likely owns it already, and if they don't, it's dirt cheap. Obviously Criterion has to pay something to license it, and I'm sure a lot of people who already own it would buy it again if Criterion put it out. Just don't see why WB couldn't give them a limited two year agreement or something because at this point I'm sure WB isn't selling that many copies, and they can still shill it for the $5 to $10 price range and people will buy it. Maybe I just don't know how the physical media market works?

Ridley327

If they're really getting WB titles, The Devils would be amazing (though I doubt WB will ever let it be released in the US), but I'd like to see Criterion rescue The Magnificent Ambersons, since WB has demonstrated that they don't give a shit about it, whatever their reps have said. Criterion did an amazing LD release of Ambersons back in the day, so I'd love to see what they could come up with now.

I think that The Devils will come down to how hard they're pestered about it. Criterion already has far more salacious material in the collection, and they're more than capable of taking any heat that WB thinks that the film will get if it's ever released.

omgkitty

I think that The Devils will come down to how hard they're pestered about it. Criterion already has far more salacious material in the collection, and they're more than capable of taking any heat that WB thinks that the film will get if it's ever released.

Still blows me away we live in a time when a movie won't come out because of content, much less a film that's over 40 years old.

Ridley327

Still blows me away we live in a time when a movie won't come out because of content, much less a film that's over 40 years old.

Welcome to the world of old dudes far removed from the climate of today's attitudes, which leads them to believe that releasing a film like The Devils in even its heavily edited R-rated cut would bring about Armageddon.

Shiv47

Oh, I agree, I mean Salo getting released hardly raised an eyebrow, but all indications are that WB has some kind of bug up their ass about the film. No one would give a shit if the film was released here, even with the "rape of Christ" segment included, but WB either thinks differently or someone wants it kept locked up.

Fjordson

Oh damn! Don't want to get my hopes up, but Melville blu-rays would be amazing.

Ridley327

One potentially exciting thing about their deal with WB is it would be safe to assume that they'd also be able to look at the New Line catalog, as well. That would be pretty wild, if only because that would mean John Waters' films would be on the table. Criterion could potentially be the go-to company for people who prefer their shit-eating to be simulated AND unsimulated!

swoon

I've never understood this. Anyone who wants the Maltese Falcon, most likely owns it already, and if they don't, it's dirt cheap. Obviously Criterion has to pay something to license it, and I'm sure a lot of people who already own it would buy it again if Criterion put it out. Just don't see why WB couldn't give them a limited two year agreement or something because at this point I'm sure WB isn't selling that many copies, and they can still shill it for the $5 to $10 price range and people will buy it. Maybe I just don't know how the physical media market works?

what would the point be? the current release is great.

an Altman BD collection would be so awesome.

it would be cool, but olive is doing good work - getting cold day in the park AND jimmy dean.

berzeli

Banned
Oh damn! Don't want to get my hopes up, but Melville blu-rays would be amazing.

Criterion botched Le Cercle Rouge and (to a lesser extent) L'armée des Ombres so I'm happy if Studiocanal would release the rest of his films with the same quality as they've manage with those two titles.

Fjordson

Criterion botched Le Cercle Rouge and (to a lesser extent) L'armée des Ombres so I'm happy if Studiocanal would release the rest of his films with the same quality as they've manage with those two titles.
Hmm, I've only seen Army of Shadows on Criterion, but I thought it looked nice.

Either way, none of Melville's work is available here in the US from either studio so I'll be happy if anyone would release anything =[

berzeli

Banned
Hmm, I've only seen Army of Shadows on Criterion, but I thought it looked nice.

Either way, none of Melville's work is available here in the US from either studio so I'll be happy if anyone would release anything =[

Yeah, L'armée des Ombres isn't too bad, Studiocanal just has a slightly better colour-scheme but nothing major. Le Cercle Rouge is however just fucked up, see a quick and dirty comparison here, the colours on the Criterion are just horrendous.

I thought Lionsgate distributed the Studiocanal editions?

Fjordson

Yeah, L'armée des Ombres isn't too bad, Studiocanal just has a slightly better colour-scheme but nothing major. Le Cercle Rouge is however just fucked up, see a quick and dirty comparison here, the colours on the Criterion are just horrendous.

Nothing currently it seems. Just a few Criterion DVD's like Le Samourai.

It's a real bummer because Melville is one of my favourite directors. I would snatch up everything if Criterion (or whoever) would put out his work here on blu.

omgkitty

Nothing currently it seems. Just a few Criterion DVD's like Le Samourai.

It's a real bummer because Melville is one of my favourite directors. I would snatch up everything if Criterion (or whoever) would put out his work here on blu.

Two Men in Manhattan was put out on blu-ray here by Cohen and you can also get Le Silence de la mer from Masters of Cinema on Amazon UK because it's region free. Criterion did put out Leon Morin, Priest as well as Le Cercle Rouge and Army of Shadows on blu-ray (though I'm sure you knew about those).

Fjordson

Criterion did put out Leon Morin, Priest as well as Le Cercle Rouge and Army of Shadows on blu-ray (though I'm sure you knew about those).
Yeah, I've seen them on blu, just never managed to snag any of them before they went out of print =[

Thanks for the tip on Le Silence, though. Will try to import that one, always enjoyed it.

omgkitty

Yeah, I've seen them on blu, just never managed to snag any of them before they went out of print =[

Thanks for the tip on Le Silence, though. Will try to import that one, always enjoyed it.

Yeah decided to finally just order it. I've been putting it off for a long time, but it only cost me about $24. Love me some Melville.

berzeli

Banned

You can order it directly from Eureka's website for ~19$ including free worldwide shipping. Don't think anyone else is cheaper at the moment.

Ridley327

They distributed the ones they were interested in releasing in the US. Lionsgate wasn't interested in much, which led to the recent announcement of them dumping the rest of their licenses on Amazon's burn-on-demand service.

Ridley327

I know only a little bit about Guy Maddin, but it's safe to say that the cover for My Winnipeg makes me really want to see it.

Top Bottom