• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

blu-ray.com says the sale starts on 11/11, so we're only one week out!

I got some 20% off member coupons that will still be good during that time, and there should be at least one weekend where they send out some 15% off non-member coupons that you can probably use.

Confirmed as I just called Barnes and Noble. Also, if you find some non-member coupons, do you mind linking or pming?

Going light this time:

Weekend (Godard)
Vivre Sa Vie (Godard)

Still haven't decided DVD or Blu... I guess I'll decide when I get there.

Also, got a replacement used DVD for Pierrot... Set me back $40. le sigh

Fjordson

Have you (or has anyone) seen the remake by Takashi Miike?
I have. I haven't watched the original, but it seems like the consensus is it's a classic, so I doubt Miike's is as good. It was a good watch, though. An interesting change of pace from a lot of Miike's other work.

I have. I haven't watched the original, but it seems like the consensus is it's a classic, so I doubt Miike's is as good. It was a good watch, though. An interesting change of pace from a lot of Miike's other work.

It's on Netflix, I'll probably watch it this weekend. Who's the lead? I doubt whoever it is can be at the level of Tatsuya Nakadai.

cj_iwakura

Have you (or has anyone) seen the remake by Takashi Miike?

I saw it on the library shelf. I get the impression it won't touch the classic, the remake looks a lot flashier. The original is very low key.

Also got my Silence of the Lambs criterion finally. $10 shipped off ebay.

big ander

Been on a dvd/blu buying hiatus but since I became a B&N member again this year I feel like I can't not buy something next week. On my to-consider list: Tati box, Dušan Makavejev eclipse, Trouble in Paradise (maybe also Design for Living), Week-end, Allan King eclipse, Jean Vigo, Grey Gardens. I'm leaning towards one of the Eclipses and then either godard or lubitsch.

Fjordson

First thing I'm grabbing is My Darling Clementine fersher. Not sure exactly what after that. Hopefully the sale goes through the 25th, would like to grab L'avventura when that drops.

4.jpg

Actually have money this time around, so I'm looking forward to catching up on the many titles I've missed.

Fjordson

I apologize for the double post, but is anyone able to use the "Pick up in store" link on Barnes & Noble's site? Right next to the "Add to bag" button when you look up an item. lol, shit never works for me. In any browser. Trying to see what my store has in stock.

big ander

bleh, realized the B&N nearest to me doesn't carry any movies/tv at all! So there are normally more discount coupons later in the sale, yeah? I'll wait til then.
I apologize for the double post, but is anyone able to use the "Pick up in store" link on Barnes & Noble's site? Right next to the "Add to bag" button when you look up an item. lol, shit never works for me. In any browser. Trying to see what my store has in stock.

Yeah it never works for me.

Fjordson

Picked up My Darling Clementine and Sweet Smell of Success. Though the latter is a 2010 printing (2011 release). Hope it doesn't fall victim to the disc rot some older criterion releases have gotten lately.

XShagrath

Picked up the Tati set and Complete Monterey Pop last night for a little under $75 with my two 20% off memeber coupons I got mailed to me. They were the two most expensive sets I didn't already have, so made the most sense to use the coupons on.

Anyone buying more than a couple this sale should be picking up $75 gift cards and using those for the purchases. Now until XMas, you get an additional $10 gift card when you buy $75 worth. That $10 doesn't activate until 12/26, but you can use the other one right away.

Fox Mulder

Picked up My Darling Clementine and Sweet Smell of Success. Though the latter is a 2010 printing (2011 release). Hope it doesn't fall victim to the disc rot some older criterion releases have gotten lately.

even if it does, they quickly responded and offered replacements. Some huge studios dont give a shit about their customers, criterion probably cant afford to do that with their business model.

I want clementine and a few more, but dont have a B&N membership or whatever. The prices on amazon don't look too bad right now either.

Fox Mulder

just got back from my barnes and noble, didnt even have a movie section at all and no one there has even heard of criterion movies. lol.

XShagrath

I guess I'm lucky. Of the three B&N stores in my vicinity, two of them have huge Criterion sections and have just about every single title in stock on both blu-ray and dvd. The third store doesn't carry movies at all.

overcast

Anybody know how long it's going for? I have a 15% off coupon so I'm getting something this weekend.

Says through December 1st which is disappointing.

overcast

My Barnes and Noble has a decent enough selection.

Anyone know if that 15% coupon will work in stores? Or am I better off just ordering online. Going to grab the three colors trilogy with it.

My Barnes and Noble has a decent enough selection.

Anyone know if that 15% coupon will work in stores? Or am I better off just ordering online. Going to grab the three colors trilogy with it.

Works in stores. You should see if they trail memberships. You can add an extra 10%.

XShagrath

Wait, what does that mean exactly?
A B&N membership (usually $25 a year) gets you an additional 10% off of everything in store, as well as members-only coupons. Sometimes you can get a trial version for 30 days or so to use during the sale if you don't want to shell out the money for it.

overcast

A B&N membership (usually $25 a year) gets you an additional 10% off of everything in store, as well as members-only coupons. Sometimes you can get a trial version for 30 days or so to use during the sale if you don't want to shell out the money for it.
Oh damn. May go ahead and try this.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Another 15th has come and gone and still Tarkovsky's Stalker will not be out on blu ray.
*sigh*

Artificial Eye to Release Andrei Tarkovsky Films on Blu-ray in 2015

British distributors Artificial Eye have informed us that they have re-licensed their Andrei Tarkovsky catalog and are planning to release a number of films on Blu-ray. Preliminary release dates are yet to be announced, but the first titles are expected to arrive on the market in Q2.

One of world's most visionary, celebrated and influential filmmakers, Andrei Tarkovsky made just seven features before his tragically early death at the age of 54. Characterised by metaphysical and spiritual explorations of the human condition, each film is an artistic masterpiece of extraordinary visual beauty and stands as an enduring classic of world cinema.

IVAN'S CHILDHOOD

Tarkovsky's extraordinarily accomplished debut feature is a powerful and moving tale of a 12
year-old boy who vows to avenge his family's death at the hands of the Nazis.
USSR 1962 | Black and white | Russian with English subtitles | 90 minutes approx.

ANDREI RUBLEV

Regarded by many as Tarkovsky's finest film, this epic tale of the great medieval icon painter
chronicles a turbulent period of Russian history and was long suppressed by the politically
sensitive Soviet authorities.
USSR 1966 | Black and white & part colour | Russian with English subtitles | 174 minutes approx.

SOLARIS

Based on Stanislaw Lem's novel, Solaris is a moving and unsettling vision of memory and humanity
which transcends the science fiction genre and has often been compared to
Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey.
USSR 1972 | Colour & black and white | Russian with English subtitles | 159 minutes approx.

MIRROR

Reflecting upon his own childhood and the destiny of the Russian people, this beautiful and
densely layered film is Tarkovsky's most autobiographical work.
USSR 1974 | Colour & black and white | Russian with English subtitles | 101 minutes approx

STALKER

Set in a devastated future landscape, Tarkovsky's second foray into science fiction is a surreal
and disturbing exploration of man's quest to realise his dreams and desires.
USSR 1979 | Colour & black and white | Russian with English subtitles | 154 minutes approx.

NOSTALGIA

Filmed in Italy just prior to his defection to the west, Tarkovsky's unforgettably haunting film
explores the melancholy of exile from one's homeland.
Italy 1983 | Colour | Russian and Italian with English subtitles | 120 minutes approx.

THE SACRIFICE

In Tarkovsky's final masterpiece, completed as he was gravely ill, a man vows to God that he
will sacrifice all he holds dear if an imminent nuclear catastrophe can be averted.
Sweden / France 1986 | Colour | Swedish, French and English with English subtitles | 142 mins approx.

Fjordson

British distributors Artificial Eye have informed us that they have re-licensed their Andrei Tarkovsky catalog and are planning to release a number of films on Blu-ray. Preliminary release dates are yet to be announced, but the first titles are expected to arrive on the market in Q2.

One of world's most visionary, celebrated and influential filmmakers, Andrei Tarkovsky made just seven features before his tragically early death at the age of 54. Characterised by metaphysical and spiritual explorations of the human condition, each film is an artistic masterpiece of extraordinary visual beauty and stands as an enduring classic of world cinema.

IVAN'S CHILDHOOD

Tarkovsky's extraordinarily accomplished debut feature is a powerful and moving tale of a 12
year-old boy who vows to avenge his family's death at the hands of the Nazis.
USSR 1962 | Black and white | Russian with English subtitles | 90 minutes approx.

ANDREI RUBLEV

Regarded by many as Tarkovsky's finest film, this epic tale of the great medieval icon painter
chronicles a turbulent period of Russian history and was long suppressed by the politically
sensitive Soviet authorities.
USSR 1966 | Black and white & part colour | Russian with English subtitles | 174 minutes approx.

SOLARIS

Based on Stanislaw Lem's novel, Solaris is a moving and unsettling vision of memory and humanity
which transcends the science fiction genre and has often been compared to
Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey.
USSR 1972 | Colour & black and white | Russian with English subtitles | 159 minutes approx.

MIRROR

Reflecting upon his own childhood and the destiny of the Russian people, this beautiful and
densely layered film is Tarkovsky's most autobiographical work.
USSR 1974 | Colour & black and white | Russian with English subtitles | 101 minutes approx

STALKER

Set in a devastated future landscape, Tarkovsky's second foray into science fiction is a surreal
and disturbing exploration of man's quest to realise his dreams and desires.
USSR 1979 | Colour & black and white | Russian with English subtitles | 154 minutes approx.

NOSTALGIA

Filmed in Italy just prior to his defection to the west, Tarkovsky's unforgettably haunting film
explores the melancholy of exile from one's homeland.
Italy 1983 | Colour | Russian and Italian with English subtitles | 120 minutes approx.

THE SACRIFICE

In Tarkovsky's final masterpiece, completed as he was gravely ill, a man vows to God that he
will sacrifice all he holds dear if an imminent nuclear catastrophe can be averted.
Sweden / France 1986 | Colour | Swedish, French and English with English subtitles | 142 mins approx.
This is probably a stupid question, but does that mean the Criterion Solaris blu will be out of print next year?

This is probably a stupid question, but does that mean the Criterion Solaris blu will be out of print next year?
Artificial Eye is a British company so no.

Will probably go back on the 24th to get the Les Blank set and a few others. Was in-between jobs last November so I've missed out on a lot. Tati set for 40 dollars <3

My Barnes and noble has nearly every blu-ray release they've put out, don't bother with the DVD section anymore so I'm not sure how it is. Pretty lucky!

Draconian

Artificial Eye is a British company so no.

Will probably go back on the 24th to get the Les Blank set and a few others. Was in-between jobs last November so I've missed out on a lot. Tati set for 40 dollars <3

My Barnes and noble has nearly every blu-ray release they've put out, don't bother with the DVD section anymore so I'm not sure how it is. Pretty lucky!

Wow. That's a mighty impressive haul!

I'm looking at Rashomon and Branded to Kill this go around.

berzeli

Banned

I'm so looking forward to this, just hope that they use the latest restorations for all films.

Kino has the US rights to The Sacrifice, Nostalghia, and The Mirror. Criterion has said Andrei Rublev will be re-released eventually but that it will be a while given the condition of the materials.

Note: The Sacrifice uses a bad master in my opinion so don't buy it before AE releases their version unless you can't wait/can't play region B blu-rays.

ngower

I've only picked up five so far this sale, two of which are upgrades from DVDs I just sold:

• Life During Wartime
• The Times of Harvey Milk
• Rushmore
• The Big Chill
• Medium Cool

Also picked up a new TV, so this has been a pretty expensive month! Don't plan on going back unless I get a coupon or some of my DVDs sell (and I'll upgrade that copy).

Top Bottom