• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crystal Maze |OT| Will you restart the fans, please!

I'm really liking Ayoade; which of his work are worth watching?

Probably the IT Crowd (he's fucking brilliant in that, especially the Countdown episode) and also Garth Merenghi's Dark Place. Both are hilarious.

He's also done some films but I didn't find him as good in those. Those two recommendations should get you started.

JonnyKong

Woah, didn't know that! Looks like it got rave reviews. Will definitely check it out. Thanks man.

I've still not seen the film he released last year with Jesse Eissenberg (forgive my spelling). I didn't hear great things about it,

but Submarine is great, definitely watch that.

mclem

We suddenly seem to be in a glorious purple patch for adventure game shows all of a sudden. Hot on the heels of a new Crystal Maze, the DVD for The Adventure Game, the new series of Fort Boyard... Raven's coming back!

sammex

Hopefully not Naked Jungle.

480_cbb15_final_4keithchegwin.jpg

Probably the IT Crowd (he's fucking brilliant in that, especially the Countdown episode) and also Garth Merenghi's Dark Place. Both are hilarious.

He's also done some films but I didn't find him as good in those. Those two recommendations should get you started.

The dark place is altogether one of the best things ever made.

sammex

"You were doing very well. Until you lost"

:D

Again only two games in the first zone, did they always do that? Seems shorter to me.

Kalor

"You were doing very well. Until you lost"

:D

Again only two games in the first zone, did they always do that? Seems shorter to me.

They have to do the introduction so less time for games before the first break. I think they always did it.

I mean celebrity ones are fair thing to be worried about, but god, they're brilliant for shout-at-the-tv-ability

and Richard's reactions to anyone from reality TV

GeeTeeCee

This team is so irritating it's going to kill me. I would've preferred it if Channel 4 just bussed in the usual suspects from 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown for the celebrity specials.

Didn't the Crystal Maze challenges used to be, well, challenging? Simple balancing games? Mild arithmetic?

Hope the non-celeb version will give some decent challenges.

mclem

They have to do the introduction so less time for games before the first break. I think they always did it.

Fewer games in general is down to the fact that the usual TV primetime hour has changed - there's now a lot more adverts there than there were in the 1990s. In particular, the format *used* to be:

Intros/Entering/First Zone
*BREAK*
Second Zone/Third Zone
*BREAK*
Final Zone/Dome

Which with the reduced numbers of breaks - and the breaks being shorter as well in general - meant they could get a lot more games in. I believe the policy for the new series is ten games per episode (so some version of 2/3/3/2), with the original run generally having 12-13 (and the very first series being in the 15/16 bracket)

Didn't the Crystal Maze challenges used to be, well, challenging? Simple balancing games? Mild arithmetic?

Hope the non-celeb version will give some decent challenges.

To be fair, not really, it's more the time pressure - and therefore the panic that causes - that made them particularly tough.

And in the case of the 'simple balancing games', there's been a couple in Medieval in the past, like this, for instance.

AHA-Lambda

Only just catching up on it now, my god this lot is insufferable

Edit: oh for god sake, multiple repeated games? The hell is this?

JonnyKong

I feel like going to the London experience to do this wouldn't be as fun because we've all seen the games, there won't be anything new. So far every game my team and I played in Manchester have been completely different to what we've seen on TV, so at least that held some surprises.

"To start with, back off with the tude!" lmao

He was just as hilarious as last week! Also it was nice seeing the team do really well. Enjoying this quite a lot. Definitely going to catch it every week.

Top Bottom