• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Curious Case of the Switch Foxconn Leak (Now a hardware fanfiction thread)

z0m3le

Banned
Yes, Eurogamer specs would easily allow it, you guys are speculating on the machine being more powerful than the Eurogamer specs yet the huge presentation they just did 2 months before release doesn't even match the Eurogamer specs.

I'd love the machine to be more powerful, I really hoped for a noticeable leap over Wii U (albeit well shy of XBO) in 1080p but I don't see any sign of it.
The games shown don't even have any AA (except one, can't remember which).

And the launch games on Wii U, didn't match Wii U's known specs, they must be wrong. You're assumptions are based on ridiculous expectations of launch software.

ecosse_011172

So are you saying you believe Switch docked and undocked both provide exactly the same performance despite docked mode being clocked 2.5x faster?..

Rumoured to be runnng 2.5x faster.
If it is running 2.5x faster, I’d love an explanation of why Splatoon 2 and Zelda aren’t running at 1080p.
Zelda is finished, it’s out in 2 months.

2.5x should allow rendering at 1080p instead of 720p very easily, never mind the secret sauce delusion.

z0m3le

Banned
If it is running 2.5x faster, I’d love an explanation of why Splatoon 2 and Zelda aren’t running at 1080p.

2.5x should allow rendering at 1080p instead of 720p very easily, never mind the secret sauce delusion.

Why did NSMBU run at 720p on Wii U but Smash 4 ran at 1080p 60fps? Your logic is proven to be wrong. It just doesn't work like that.

Mokujin

Stop avoiding explaining Mario Kart performance.

You cant say it like that. What if they chose to increase the graphics quality instead of just resolution?

ecosse_011172

Why did NSMBU run at 720p on Wii U but Smash 4 ran at 1080p 60fps? Your logic is proven to be wrong. It just doesn't work like that.

I never stated that the games won't improve (in terms of visuals) over the life of the console. They do for every single console in history.

NSMB Wii U was utterly lazy, IIRC they used the same asset quality as the Wii game.

Donnie

If it is running 2.5x faster, I'd love an explanation of why Splatoon 2 and Zelda aren't running at 1080p.
Zelda is finished, it's out in 2 months.

So now Eurogamers clocks were made up? I know people get carried away with ideas of how powerful the machine might be but this right here is the opposite delusion. What Eurogamer quoted was from actual hardware documentation back in July, those clocks were obviously 100% genuine at that time. They may have changed now but there is absolutely no reason for the ratio between handheld and docked mode to decrease, none at all. So yes docked mode is at least 2.5x handheld mode, that's just a fact.

So again basing your impressions of Switch's performance on Splattoon is extremely flawed when the version we saw runs the same docked and handheld. Don't forget that docked mode can run at handheld speeds if the developer chooses (another bit of info in the documentation Eurogamer quoted). But it can also run 2.5x faster if the developer decides to bump up the visuals in docked mode.

ecosse_011172

So now Eurogamers clocks are wrong? I know people get carried away with ideas of how powerful the machine might be but this right here is the opposite delusion. What Eurogamer quoted was from actual hardware documentation back in July, those clocks are obviously 100% genuine. They may have changed now but there is absolutely no reason for the ratio between handheld and docked mode to decrease, none at all. So yes docked mode is at least 2.5x handheld mode, that's just a fact.

I imagine they are likely to be correct but people in this thread are fantasising over specs higher than the Eurogamer specs yet the shown software looks significantly poorer than you would expect from the Eurogamer specs.

ecosse_011172

Digital foundry said it was identical in the dock and when mobile.

Yep and IIRC they had no explanation for that.
Did you watch their full video?
Everything they saw looked like a Wii U game and they saw no added AA and not even the resolution improvements you'd expect as a minimum.

We have have Zelda, Mario, Splatoon 2 at 1080p and visual improvements by release but the signs don't look good.

However the fantasies based on these Chinese leaks are clearly fantasy, people are setting themselves up for disappointment yet again. I've done it myself previously but not any more.

ecosse_011172

Digital foundry said it was identical in the dock and when mobile.

Likely because mobile mode is first priority, and it still isn't optimised to run stable in docked mode.

If it has 2.5 x clock, plus architectural improvements plus secret sauce, why would it need any optimisation to run stable in docked mode?

z0m3le

Banned
I imagine they are likely to be correct but people in this thread are fantasising over specs higher than the Eurogamer specs yet the shown software looks significantly poorer than you would expect from the Eurogamer specs.

The clocks would move the performance of the switch up 20%. You'd go from 25 frames per second to 29 frames per second. This is why your logic doesn't work out, we aren't discussing even a 50% increase, you likely wouldn't be able to tell between these specs on anything shown at the presentation. Especially when final devkits we would be talking about are only 3 months old.

Hermii

Yep and IIRC they had no explanation for that.
Did you watch their full video?
Everything they saw looked like a Wii U game and they saw no added AA and not even the resolution improvements you'd expect as a minimum.

We have have Zelda, Mario, Splatoon 2 at 1080p and visual improvements by release but the signs don't look good.

However the fantasies based on these Chinese leaks are clearly fantasy, people are setting themselves up for disappointment yet again. I've done it myself previously but not any more.

I never argued with the bolded, I think the EG leak is reliable. Hovewer in Splatoon 2 and Mario Oddyseys case, I think the current builds doesnt take advantage of the extra power when docked and we can expect higher resolution than 720p.

If it has 2.5 x clock, plus architectural improvements plus secret sauce, why would it need any optimisation to run stable in docked mode?

Because game development is a lot more complicated than people think.

Donnie

But that's different to what we're discussing. I'm saying that docked and undocked performance is at least 2.5x apart. So the fact that Splatoon runs the same docked and handheld means you can't use it to gauge Switch performance while in docked mode.

Why not just accept that and move on to discussing the OP instead?

Mokujin

There was obviously more headroom wrt Wii U's limits, it was less demanding to render at 1080p would be my guess.

Why does Mario Kart still have no AA?

720 to 1080 is a x2.25 resolution jump, quit talking like it's a trivial issue.

Seriously just stop, you are making little sense when most of the titles are showing increased performance over handheld mode, yet you keep defending there is not.

Posting Frozen caption doesn't help your case either.

PD.- Niiiiiice thread title change.

Cerium

I'm surprised it lasted 8 pages with relative discussion about the switch and the leak TBH. This last page is exactly why it was a bad idea.
giphy.gif

No, Z0mbie is implicitly saying that some leaks are saying the CPU of the console in the switch is stronger than the 8 core Jaguar of either PS4 or the Pro.

That's a big deal. Why have there not been any threads about this speculation/rumor? We need to figure this out
I agree with the bold btw, I'm freshly no longer a forever junior though, so I'm not going to make a thread with GAF closing switch threads left and right because of reactionist posts.

ecosse_011172

720 to 1080 is a x2.25 resolution jump, quit talking like it's a trivial issue.

Seriously just stop, you are making little sense when most of the titles are showing increased performance over handheld mode, yet you keep defending there is not.

Posting Frozen caption doesn't help your case either.

PD.- Niiiiiice thread title change.

And the clock speed in docked mode is 2.5x.

ecosse_011172

My apologies if I've annoyed anyone with my posts, I don't intend to.

I have a question for those in disagreement with my logic : Did the visuals of the games shown (including completed games and mostly complete games) match your expectations based on what we "know" about the hardware?

z0m3le

Banned
I'll post one last point on this

The October Devkits being more powerful than the July Devkits means that either the SoC changed or the clocks changed. Literally what it means. This leak is saying that the clocks changed, and if these are final clocks as it would seem they are from both the devkit getting more powerful and the stress testing of 8 solid days, it would also lead to the A57 in X1, being swapped out for the A72 because even at 16nm, the A57 would draw too much power at 1.78ghz.

I hope those interested in this topic understand the paragraph above.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm surprised it lasted 8 pages with relative discussion about the switch and the leak TBH. This last page is exactly why it was a bad idea.

Maybe there's a reason for this kind of response. Your speculations never pan out and operate as if tech exists in a vacuum. It is fanfiction.

Theonik

I'm not assuming anything, like I said, read the spec (The HDMI 1.3 docs specifically, if they are beyond your understanding, settle for Wikipedia) - 30bit (10bit per channel) is the minimum supported by the HDMI 1.3 spec.

Any 8bit per channel source is encoded to 10bits per channel before being transmitted by HDMI, and then decoded to 8bits per channel by the receiving display/device if & when necessary.
This is not true. See page 105 onwards. and they wouldn't encode 8-bit components anyway, but pad with zeros in a 10-bit value. But that would be incredibly wasteful.

But again this doesn't matter because the HDMI in the dock is NOT using the USB bandwidth but an actual HDMI signal on the same cable running alongside full bandwidth USB.

z0m3le

Banned
Maybe there's a reason for this kind of response. Your speculations never pan out and operate as if tech exists in a vacuum. It is fanfiction.

I believe I speculated on Switch using A57 over a year ago. I also said that they would probably only do 205gflops, so yeah it ended up 393gflops. I'm in a fantasy world.

Mokujin

The October Devkits being more powerful than the July Devkits means that either the SoC changed or the clocks changed. Literally what it means. This leak is saying that the clocks changed, and if these are final clocks as it would seem they are from both the devkit getting more powerful and the stress testing of 8 solid days, it would also lead to the A57 in X1, being swapped out for the A72 because even at 16nm, the A57 would draw too much power at 1.78ghz.

Being more powerful doesn't imply being much more powerful it could be just a bit more powerful, and it wouldn't even mean hardware changed or clock changes, could very well be just a matter of final API performance gains.

My guess is that it might be that plus some extra gains from the customizations of the SoC, you are giving too much weight to the foxconn leak and going a bit far to discredit Eurogamer clocks which truly have solid sources behind them.

Hermii

My apologies if I've annoyed anyone with my posts, I don't intend to.

I have a question for those in disagreement with my logic : Did the visuals of the games shown (including completed games and mostly complete games) match your expectations based on what we "know" about the hardware?

I expected a Wii U+ so pretty much yeah. However I do believe there will be more impressive titles later on.

I believe I speculated on Switch using A57 over a year ago. I also said that they would probably only do 205gflops, so yeah it ended up 393gflops. I'm in a fantasy world.

Except on portable clocks, it's 153gflops. It seems docked clocks on the go were a typo.

Bitanator

There is no denying the allure of Nintendo snake oil lubing up the magic dust generator stuffed inside each console.

The best is when reality sets in people will go back to the "gameplay not graphics" until the cycle starts over again.

z0m3le

Banned
Being more powerful doesn't imply being much more powerful it could be just a bit more powerful, and it wouldn't even mean hardware changed or clock changes, could very well be just a matter of final API performance gains.

My guess is that it might be that plus some extra gains from the customizations of the SoC, you are giving too much weight to the foxconn leak and going a bit far to discredit Eurogamer clocks which truly have solid sources behind them.

The software changes would apply to July devkits as well. I'm putting weight in this leak because it's proven correct, maybe he made up clocks, but it would be honestly weird to impossible to pick these clocks as they relate to Eurogamer's clocks that were given over a month later and in line with the power consumption of those clocks.

Also, I don't believe Eurogamer's clocks were wrong, I believe that a last minute change could have happened and Switch received new clocks. It doesn't change the performance of the device by much at all, a 20% increase in performance is close to what you can get with a good overclocked card on PC for instance.

Ghosttrick:
157gflops and I was guessing GCN around this time with 154gflops as you know.

ekim

Except on portable clocks, it's 153gflops. It seems docked clocks on the go were a typo.

And I still want to know if I get the docked clock speeds when having the handheld just charging at its USB-C port without being in the dock.

edit: if so - this would explain why the undocked mode at the demos looked and ran so good because most units were probably being charged.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
People keep acting like splatoon at 720p is all switch can do. Even if it is bandwidth starved, its still going to go beyond wii U. Zelda on Wii U is obviously not 900p

Mokujin

There is no denying the allure of Nintendo snake oil lubing up the magic dust generator stuffed inside each console.

The best is when reality sets in people will go back to the "gameplay not graphics" until the cycle starts over again.

Well, those of us expecting a big portable jump got the jackpot this time around.

Those expecting Nintendo entering the hi spec home war not so much.

Bitanator

Well, those of us expecting a big portable jump got the jackpot this time around.

Those expecting Nintendo entering the hi spec home war not so much.

yeah I'm looking forward to playing pokemon on it, 3ds is a blurry mess, and that is coming from someone who did not mind many of the games iq for 3ds, but pokemon looks like shit.

And they did not skimp on screen quality, looks like a good handheld system with more than enough power to satisfy me

platina

I'll post one last point on this

I would love for this to be true.

Top Bottom