• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The definition of "last generation"

As i said earlier, the term "Next-Gen" for gaming consoles was, since the dawn of time, used to describe hardware that provided a massive leap in technology. It was always used in that context and it will always be used in that context. Releasing a slightly modernized 360 7 years after the original doesn´t change that. The WiiU may be Nintendos new/next/whatever gen, but it´s not "Next-Gen" in the sense of the term we use in the console sector for decades.

Why wasn't the release of the NeoGeo considered Next Gen then?

Burnburn

As i said earlier, the term "Next-Gen" for gaming consoles was, since the dawn of time, used to describe hardware that provided a massive leap in technology. It was always used in that context and it will always be used in that context. Releasing a slightly modernized 360 7 years after the original doesn´t change that. The WiiU may be Nintendos new/next/whatever gen, but it´s not "Next-Gen" in the sense of the term we use in the console sector for decades.

I'm confused, isn't having a pad as a controller, with really low latency, a massive leap in technology?

batbeg

It's funny how much Moore's Law twists our perception of whats supposed to be "new" in this industry.

No one in the auto industry assumes new generations of cars have to be more powerful.

In fact the biggest differentiators for new seasons of car are design, efficiency, and bells and whistles (much like a Wii U)

Funny you would use this example what with sTeLioSco assuring me cars clearly have generations based on quality earlier. I thought I drove an 07 model until I was informed of this.

That's like saying because I'm only a few years younger than my youngest uncle that I'm not truly of my families "next generation". Generation is purely determined by predecessors. Was their a console before the Wii U? Yes? Then the Wii U is of the next generation of Nintendo consoles. I don't even understand what the argument would be otherwise?

Bioshock Infinite is a current gen game for the 360 and PS3, and if it were to come out on the Wii U it would be a current gen game for that system as well.

cloudyy

A new generation of video gaming will slowly start once the current consoles on the market are replaced with newer ones. That's all.

BibiMaghoo

To those who consider more power a different gen, I would ask this.

What generation is Chuck Norris?

Was he my fathers generation, or is he 10,000,000th gen?

olimpia84

WiiU is a next gen system. The fact that it will most likely have a considerable weaker hardware against the PS4 and Durango doesn't matter at all.

Same thing with the NeoGeoX. It will most likely end up being an emulator of 20 to 15 year old AES games but it will still be paired up on the same gen with the 3DS and the Vita.

Those of you in denial of the WiiU being next gen are either anti-Nintendo trolls or simply lack common sense.

Eusis

To those who consider more power a different gen, I would ask this.

What generation is Chuck Norris?

Was he my fathers generation, or is he 10,000,000th gen?
Given his statements about re-electing Obama leading to 1000 years of darkness? Last generation.

... And we should probably stay away from this since 1. politics are messy, and 2. Chuck Norris is the most inexplicably overused meme on the internet.

lednerg

If hardware power is your metric for determining "generations", then consoles are always "last-gen" or older. [/PC gamer]

meppi

WiiU is a next gen system. The fact that it will most likely have a considerable weaker hardware against the PS4 and Durango doesn't matter at all.

Same thing with the NeoGeoX. It will most likely end up being an emulator of 20 to 15 year old AES games but it will still be paired up on the same gen with the 3DS and the Vita.

Those of you in denial of the WiiU being next gen are either anti-Nintendo trolls or simply lack common sense.

That's pretty much all that needs to be said, yet many will continue to rant on and on for years to come to further their agenda. Whatever that may be.

Sissel

When the Xbox 360 came out, it felt like an actual generation leap. So the PS2 and Xbox immediately felt like "last gen" consoles. The Wii U is more like a really late to the market current gen console.

Eusis

Oh man, ignored the Neo Geo bit due to the terrible Chuck Norris joke.

Man, unless the NGX gets loads of new games I wouldn't consider it in the same generation AT ALL. It'd be like saying all of those joysticks loaded with Atari/Namco/Activision/whoever games are 6th/7th generation platforms, they're just newly made all-in-ones to cash in on nostalgia and make available a lot of games in a form factor that wasn't possible in the past. NGX just happens to be on another level from those, but in the end it's the same thing, especially with the docking station, though unfortunately that can't actually accept the old cartridges.

But if the NGX does somehow get loads of new NeoGeo games then... it's an odd addition, but it definitely counts.

Sissel

Guys I solved it. The Wii U is a current generation and next-gen console. From now until the 720/PS4 releases, it is a current gen console. Current gen ports will make up the majority of its library.

Then when next-gen comes around, it will go back to Wii status, where it will be considered a really weak next-gen console built on Nintendo exclusives, dramatically inferior (visually) multiplatform ports and casual games from Ubisoft/EA.

sp3000

I like how Nintendo is the only reason these threads occur, because one group wants to adamantly deny it's a next generation system, and the other group wants to deny it's a last gen system.

Sissel

That's like saying because I'm only a few years younger than my youngest uncle that I'm not truly of my families "next generation". Generation is purely determined by predecessors. Was their a console before the Wii U? Yes? Then the Wii U is of the next generation of Nintendo consoles. I don't even understand what the argument would be otherwise?

Bioshock Infinite is a current gen game for the 360 and PS3, and if it were to come out on the Wii U it would be a current gen game for that system as well.
That is flawed logic. If the Wii U came out in 2008, would you have considered it to be a next-gen console? No.

Oersted

For me Famicon, PS3 and the upcoming consoles (including WiiU) are all the same gen. But that is just me.

FF64ACFC6627C7813A6DAE43FA3063.jpg

Black-Widow-scarlett-johansson.jpg

sTeLioSco

Banned
Funny you would use this example what with sTeLioSco assuring me cars clearly have generations based on quality earlier. I thought I drove an 07 model until I was informed of this.

funny you say that because a 90s car isnt the same as todays.

safety standards alone like abs and airbags really make it.....a next generation product

lol.you think cause an engine has 100hp in an old car that alone makes it current gen like a todays car with a 100hp?

take a honda civic gen 2 and compare it to today's model.

you would buy it full price as a todays car if it had a nintendo badge!!!
its not our fault for that!

1 First generation (1973–1979) SB1, SG, SE, VB
2 Second generation (1980–1983) SL, SS, SR, ST, VC, WD
3 Third generation (1984–1987) AG, AH, AJ, AK, AT, EC
4 Fourth generation (1988–1991) - EC, ED, EE, EF
5 Fifth generation (1991–1995) - EG, EH, EJ1, EJ2
6 Sixth generation (1996–2000) - EK9, EK4, EK5, EK3, EJ6, EJ7,EJ8, EJ9, EM1
7 Seventh generation (2001–2005) - EM1, EM2, ES1, EP2, EP3, EU1
8 Eighth generation (2006–2011) - FD2, FA1, FG1, FG2, FA5, FK, FN
9 Ninth generation (2012– ) FB4, FG3, FB2, FG4, FB6

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Civic

the good thing about this thread is that it proves that going backwards tehnnologically is not a good thing.
you hear only stupid stuff from people actually supporting that current gen stuff being branded as next gen,is next gen!

Whatever consoles are still being produced are current-gen. When they phase out the Xbox 360 for it's successor (if there is one) then it is no longer current-gen and becomes last-gen.

When Wii-U comes out and the Wii is phased out then it becomes last gen.

olimpia84

Oh man, ignored the Neo Geo bit due to the terrible Chuck Norris joke.

Man, unless the NGX gets loads of new games I wouldn't consider it in the same generation AT ALL. It'd be like saying all of those joysticks loaded with Atari/Namco/Activision/whoever games are 6th/7th generation platforms, they're just newly made all-in-ones to cash in on nostalgia and make available a lot of games in a form factor that wasn't possible in the past. NGX just happens to be on another level from those, but in the end it's the same thing, especially with the docking station, though unfortunately that can't actually accept the old cartridges.

But if the NGX does somehow get loads of new NeoGeo games then... it's an odd addition, but it definitely counts.

I believe SNK already mentioned that the X will be supported with original new games.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Whatever consoles are still being produced are current-gen. When they phase out the Xbox 360 for it's successor (if there is one) then it is no longer current-gen and becomes last-gen.

When Wii-U comes out and the Wii is phased out then it becomes last gen.
So Dreamcast is still current gen!

Sorry.. Too fun to poke holes.

In other words, you're being tooled by marketing speak, and wear it like a badge of honor. Way to go.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

Right.

And the Wii provided a massive leap in motion control technology, after which Microsoft and Sony followed suit.

sTeLioSco

Banned
And again...

If we're going by power, PC's change generations daily. The "next gen" PC you build today is "last gen" tomorrow.

we are talking about console generations.
handheld generations are also different.

but ofcourse you have generations of precessors and gfx cards.

lets say you are someone that doesbt play a lot of games but you want a decent card.you can upgrade to the next gen of the card tier you can afford.

9800gt-> 460->660ti for example.
next gen hardware.if you want more expensive you buy next gen hardware from a pricier tier.lets say geforce 680.
same with processor.
dual core->i5.

you dont buy every iteration the same way you dont buy every iteration of a console.

And your still wrong.

Computers are ever changing with new technology released if not daily then weekly. You can always build a better computer since the tech changes so quickly even by just a little bit... but it will be a better computer. We get to a point were we are even here in this discussion with the WiiU when you have to call when it is enough of a jump to consider it next gen.

we are talking about console generations.
handheld generations are also different.

So bringing up PC's is irrelevant. I agree.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Here's the bottom line on the power discussion.

No console is as powerful is as powerful as gaming PCs available at the same time. Since PC games and console games target the same game market, there is no logical way to ding the WiiU for being a "last generation" console and simultaneously praise the other console offerings as "next gen." Period.

You are taking a simple term of classification, intended to denote which machines are in competition with each other simultaneously, and attempting to twist it into fanboy drivel intended to disparage an unreleased system from a company you don't like and elevate unreleased and unannounced systems from companies you do like.

Eusis

you dont buy every iteration the same way you dont buy every iteration of a console.
No, though those product lines ARE divided into generations, and it highlights how different it is for a line of specific technology versus consoles that are basically prebuilt computers with specialized input devices and media.

Actually, I guess it's best to view this more as a CULTURE generation. The Wii and Wii U come at different points in time, bringing different software, and reflect those times to a degree in the industry, even if, say, the Wii's basically the sibling born 15-20 years later than the others with the Wii U being the child of that late sibling: they may've been the same familial generation, but they grew up in different times.

King_Moc

Banned
Computers are ever changing with new technology released if not daily then weekly. You can always build a better computer since the tech changes so quickly even by just a little bit... but it will be a better computer. We get to a point were we are even here in this discussion with the WiiU when you have to call when it is enough of a jump to consider it next gen.

So bringing up PC's is irrelevant. I agree.

The 'gen' with PC's is less to do with the hardware and more to do with the updates that come with whatever version of DX the game uses. 360 and PS3 are equivalent to DX9 i think. PC's have since moved onto DX11.

And people play games on them so it is relevant.

batbeg

funny you say that because a 90s car isnt the same as todays.

safety standards alone like abs and airbags really make it.....a next generation product

lol.you think cause an engine has 100hp in an old car that alone makes it current gen like a todays car with a 100hp?

take a honda civic gen 2 and compare it to today's model.

you would buy it full price as a todays car if it had a nintendo badge!!!
its not our fault for that!

1 First generation (1973–1979) SB1, SG, SE, VB
2 Second generation (1980–1983) SL, SS, SR, ST, VC, WD
3 Third generation (1984–1987) AG, AH, AJ, AK, AT, EC
4 Fourth generation (1988–1991) - EC, ED, EE, EF
5 Fifth generation (1991–1995) - EG, EH, EJ1, EJ2
6 Sixth generation (1996–2000) - EK9, EK4, EK5, EK3, EJ6, EJ7,EJ8, EJ9, EM1
7 Seventh generation (2001–2005) - EM1, EM2, ES1, EP2, EP3, EU1
8 Eighth generation (2006–2011) - FD2, FA1, FG1, FG2, FA5, FK, FN
9 Ninth generation (2012– ) FB4, FG3, FB2, FG4, FB6

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Civic

the good thing about this thread is that it proves that going backwards tehnnologically is not a good thing.
you hear only stupid stuff from people actually supporting that current gen stuff being branded as next gen,is next gen!

Your mind is an incredible thing. I can just watch you put words into others mouths, make inane comparisons to irrelevant industries, and spew randomly strung sentences together into incoherent arguments for hours.

In fact, I kind of have.

Eusis

The 'gen' with PC's is less to do with the hardware and more to do with the updates that come with whatever version of DX the game uses. 360 and PS3 are equivalent to DX9 i think. PC's have since moved onto DX11.

And people play games on them so it is relevant.
DirectX 9 debuted in 2002, and not only does the Xbox incorporate some aspects of that if I'm remembering correctly (I know the 360's supposed to have aspects of DX10), Microsoft even used Halo as an example of a DX9 game versus a DX10 one (Crysis I think).

I guess that basically means DirectX 9 is the GC/Wii, if rather than being twice the power of the GC it could be a power of 10 increase over the GC.

JordanN

Banned

All these games would look like ass if you tried squeezing them into the limited 512mb of ram found on the PS3/360.

On topic: Wii U is next gen. PS3/360/Wii are current gen. When PS4 and Xbox 720 come out, PS3/360/Wii all become last gen.

Sissel

All these games would look like ass if you tried squeezing them into the limited 512mb of ram found on the PS3/360.

On topic: Wii U is next gen. PS3/360/Wii are current gen. When PS4 and Xbox 720 come out, PS3/360/Wii all become last gen.
how come it takes the PS4 and 720 to come out for PS3/360/Wii to become last gen. When the 360 came out, the Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 were instantly "last gen".

Eusis

Will the WiiU defence force stop with these threads already? Every damn day...
Except if you seriously read the first post it's not even a Wii U defense topic, it's more a question of whether the prior generation and its games automatically become "last generation" upon the first new console arriving. And I put in my two cents on that subject, that it's more of a transitional phase and even when it's out the new consoles could still be considered "next generation" since the prior one is going strong while the new one needs momentum still.

Unless you're referring to people coming in and defending the Wii U, but what do you expect when the topic gets hopelessly derailed?

JordanN

Banned
how come it takes the PS4 and 720 to come out for PS3/360/Wii to become last gen. When the 360 came out, the Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 were instantly "last gen".
It works either way. I'm simply keeping the Wii U/PS4/720 one tier ahead of PS3/360/Wii. Just like how PS3/360/Wii are a tier above PS2/GCN/Xbox.

So current gen and last gen become synonymous.

BibiMaghoo

Given his statements about re-electing Obama leading to 1000 years of darkness? Last generation.

... And we should probably stay away from this since 1. politics are messy, and 2. Chuck Norris is the most inexplicably overused meme on the internet.

He said that? Shiii

Bad jokes aside, its amazing the lack of understanding some people show. It's such a simple thing that has been made complex for some by marketing terms.

Gens have never been defined by power.
The term 'next gen' is not relevant to where a console sits in video game generations.

Top Bottom