• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The definition of "last generation"

MasLegio

Banned
I'm confused, isn't having a pad as a controller, with really low latency, a massive leap in technology?
no, not really

To those who consider more power a different gen, I would ask this.

What generation is Chuck Norris?

Was he my fathers generation, or is he 10,000,000th gen?

you people are using the term generation wrong.

generation in regards to living beings is something completely different to generation in regards to technology and the use of it

Kujo

Spice Girls settled this debate ages ago

Let me tell you 'bout a thing, gotta put it to the test,
It's a celebration, motivation generation next
Well sow me the seed, every colour every creed,
Teach never preach, listen up take heed
Take the heat, feel the flow
Cause you're ready to fly and we're ready to go
Take the heat, feel the flow
Cause you're ready to fly and we're ready to go
Move over yeah, don't do it over
(Yeah yeah yeah)
Cause it's over (yeah yeah yeah)
Move over, don't do it over (yeah yeah yeah)
Cause it's over yeah yeah yeah
(Don't do it over)
Generation next
(yeah yeah a generation yeah)
Next phase, next stage, next grade, next wave

lednerg

The ColecoVision CPU was 3x faster than Atari 2600's.
The Genesis CPU was 2x faster than SNES's.
The N64 and Dreamcast had 64 bit CPUs while PS1's was 32 bit.
The Xbox had programmable shaders, unlike the PS2 and Gamecube.
The Wii was practically an overclocked Gamecube while PS360 were made from scratch.
Then there are outliers such as the Jaguar, TG-16, Saturn, and NeoGeo, which mostly had far superior specs for their time.

Generations are about the timeframe in which the consoles were released, not just arbitrary figures used for some lame console war argument. Otherwise, we'd be in something like the 20th generation by now, and these generations would all be intertwined over the years. IntelliVision could be seen as the same generation as the other 16bit consoles, for example. Hell, there could be pseudo-generations based on similar RAM amounts or how many buttons were on the controllers. It simply doesn't make any sense to use specs to define what a generation is.

I was thinking: when the Wii U launches, will every Wii, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 game become games that we refer to as "last generation"? For instance, will Bioshock Infinite, which is coming out in February next year (several months after Wii U), be referred to as a "last-gen" game on it's release day? And by this logic, wouldn't all current games be last-gen, as the next generation has already started with the 3DS and Vita?

What does GAF think? When the Wii U launches, will you refer new X360/PS3/Wii games as current gen even though that'd be incorrect? It seems really strange to buy a brand new game that just released and it being a "last-gen" game. Also, do you think "generations" will start disappearing, in the sense that we no longer refer to consoles as last-gen, current-gen and next-gen?

EDIT: Some people didn't quite understand the topic. The Wii U is a next-gen system; there's no debate about that. When it launches it'll be a current-gen system. But will the X360 and PS3 become last-gen, and more importantly, will people refer to them as last-gen. Will a brand new X360/PS3 game released after the Wii U is released be referred to as last-gen? And will the term "generations" start disappearing or always be there?

In regards to games that can be found during this current gen, I don't see why a game like Bioshock Infinite, or Assassins Creed 3 or any other game that will find its way to the Wii U along side this generation can be seen as Next gen, despite the fact that the game itself is on a next generation console at the time. I think you can consider a game like ZombiU "next gen" since it is currently not revealed to be available on current gen systems. But then this whole concept is flawed in the sense that the moment any "next gen" game comes out, they are no longer "next gen" since they now currently exist. The Wii U becomes the Current generation when it releases and there will be overlaps between this gen and the next

So do people who consider Wii U next gen consider Kinect next gen as well? How about if Sony or MS built a Tablet controller exactly like WiiUs before Nintendo did it (as an add-on). From the consumers point of view, you are left with essentially the exact same product on the market but no one calls it a new gen.

Gaogaogao

wii was last gen before it came out. and history will repeat itself.

in a medium based on technology, the absense of nintendo's technological ambition inclines me to agree that the wii u is current gen.

So do people who consider Wii U next gen consider Kinect next gen as well? How about if Sony or MS built a Tablet controller exactly like WiiUs before Nintendo did it (as an add-on). From the consumers point of view, you are left with essentially the exact same product on the market but no one calls it a new gen.

It is Nintendo's NEXT GENERATION. Why is this so hard to comprehend? It is the Wii Successor, thus making it Nintendo's next gen system. Kinect was not the xbox's successor, so it is not next gen (although it can be argued that it is a new generation of Motion controls).

This is simple common sense. The only people that don't label the Wii U as next gen are blinded by numbers and power, and it has absolutely nothing to do with technical prowess.

Kinect is an accessory, not a system. It cannot opperate on it's own but needs a host.

how come it takes the PS4 and 720 to come out for PS3/360/Wii to become last gen. When the 360 came out, the Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 were instantly "last gen".

Third parties switched to their new next gen game engines starting with the 360.

It is Nintendo's NEXT GENERATION. Why is this so hard to comprehend? It is the Wii Successor, thus making it Nintendo's next gen system. Kinect was not the xbox's successor, so it is not next gen (although it can be argued that it is a new generation of Motion controls).

This is simple common sense. The only people that don't label the Wii U as next gen are blinded by numbers and power, and it has absolutely nothing to do with technical prowess.

I guess thats where we differ, I look at it from the consumers pov. The name on the box is irrelevant.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
At the end of the day, I go with industry definitions of what a generation of product is.

At the end of the day, it's about what devices are released within a single generational changeover in the same market.

The Wii is current gen, no matter how much one may be personally offended by its existence.

You're contradicting yourself, because the industry has never considered Wii to be part of the same gen as the PS3 or 360. Even Nintendo distanced themselves from the other consoles and clearly wanted to be defined as something different.

The industry won't look at Wii U as being in the same "gen" as the next offerings from Sony or MS either; again it will be an outlier.

People are incredibly hung up on the word generation in reference to the age of humans, but the word has a different definition when it comes to hardware. The only practical use the word has is as an easy way to group consoles that are released in a similar time frame so that they compete with eachother, AND represent a significant technological leap forward from the previous gen. It would also help if people understood that a "generation" of just Nintendo tech is an entirely different use of the word than a "generation" of consoles, in which case it's being used to compare tech between companies. By all means the Wii U will be the next generation of Nintendo hardware, but again it will ultimately not be considered a "next gen" device.

It'd be much simpler if people would go with the same lexicon used by the industry rather than their own personal definitions of the word.

cloudyy

Why would it be next gen? Is Kinect a new console that ultimately replaces the old one? No. So it's not a new generation. Now, if in the next years there would be only Kinect games an Microsoft focusses their efforts as their primary console (360+kinect only) for the next 5 years to come, then yes, it could be considered as a start of a new generation.

You can believe WiiU is not next-gen, just like you can believe that 0.999... doesn't equal 1.

The term "generation" is well defined. In the gaming industry we use the term as a collective term. Nintendo's next console, Sony's next console, Microsoft's next console, are each the next generation of their respective lines, and thus considered part of the "next generation" of consoles. New consoles that come out before the next wave of iterations are lumped in with that generation.

Nintendo could release a cardboard box with a Gameboy Color cartridge taped inside it and call it the Wibbley and it would still be considered the successor to their last console, therefore would be the "next generation" of Nintendo consoles, and therefore part of the next generation of consoles.

You can believe all you want that there is a bar of technology and generations are defined by anything that meets that arbitrary bar. But don't get surprised when people don't agree with your factually incorrect opinion.

miksar

The Wii was practically an overclocked Gamecube while PS360 were made from scratch.
Then there are outliers such as the Jaguar, TG-16, Saturn, and NeoGeo, which mostly had far superior specs for their time.

Generations are about the timeframe in which the consoles were released, not just arbitrary figures used for some lame console war argument. Otherwise, we'd be in something like the 20th generation by now, and these generations would all be intertwined over the years. IntelliVision could be seen as the same generation as the other 16bit consoles, for example. Hell, there could be pseudo-generations based on similar RAM amounts or how many buttons were on the controllers. It simply doesn't make any sense to use specs to define what a generation is.
I don't know how you can argue after this post that "generation" depends on "power".

Sissel

I will pose the question again. If the Wii U came out in 2008 or 2009 and was as powerful as the 360/PS3, 2-3 years after the Wii, would it have been considered next-gen?

Jack_AG

Banned
The Wii was practically an ovei.rclocked Gamecube while PS360 were made from scratch.

No. Technology "generation"s are dictated by the leap being used in technology.

If my phone's successor used the same specs a year from now - you do not call that "next gen phone".

I will say there is more than just numbers tho - its products/services delivered on that platform and the bar that is set. If that bar is a "leap" over what is currently available by a rather largely visible margin - then you can call it "next gen".

If the bar is only raised slightly above current standards, then it is a minor advancement and not "next gen".

"Generation" is defined by a largely measurable leap over current offerings, when speaking of consoles.

miksar

I will pose the question again. If the Wii U came out in 2008 or 2009 and was as powerful as the 360/PS3, 2-3 years after the Wii, would it have been considered next-gen?
If Sony and Microsoft released their successors during the next 3-4 years, yes. If not, it would become something like what Atari 5200 was to Atari 2600.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
There also seem to be a lot of people confused what generation of consoles we're actually on. The upcoming generation will be Gen4 of the modern console era. We'll start a new era when the next significant leap in technology (not time) is upon us.

Again... industry definitions, not arbitrary GAF definitions.

cloudyy

Next gen Nintendo console (replaces the Wii because it would have failed in your scenario).
Current generation video game console since it will share the same significant events than 360/PS3 within a given period of time.

There also seem to be a lot of people confused what generation of consoles we're actually on. The upcoming generation will be Gen4 of the modern console era. We'll start a new era when the next significant leap in technology (not time) is upon us.

I don't get this "Gen4". Since when did we start using this? And don't answer 3D.

If it came out after the Wii, it would be the next generation of Nintendo consoles.

But if it has no other next-generation consoles to compete against, and assuming Wii 3 doesn't come out alongside PS4 and 720 in your made-up timeline, it would be considered part of both 7th and 8th gen.

However this is a moot point because in reality the WiiU is coming out in 2012, is replacing the Wii and will compete against the PS4 and 720 when they are released.

I'm always confused why people come in and say "If we can't call it last gen can we at least call it _____?", it's just like... why? You HAVE to try and make up some abstract distinction between them?

They're just completely adverse to putting the Wii U on the same level as the at-this-moment entirely fictional PS4 and Nextbox, it's crazy.

Sissel

Next gen Nintendo console (replaces the Wii because it would have failed in your scenario).
Current generation video game console since it will share the same significant events than 360/PS3 within a given period of time.
yeah. In my mind you can release 2 "current gen" consoles in a generation if you wanted to.

I'm going to go back to my original statement. The Wii U is a current gen console when it comes out this November, and it will shift to next-gen when the 720/PS4 come out. This predecessor business is meaningless.

miksar

It seems to me that "industry" definitions are actually just definitions you prefer. The truth is that there 8 generations considered, and each is clearly separated from one another not only in terms of computational power, but also in terms of controllers and other things.

Sissel

I'm always confused why people come in and say "If we can't call it last gen can we at least call it _____?", it's just like... why? You HAVE to try and make up some abstract distinction between them?

They're just completely adverse to putting the Wii U on the same level as the at-this-moment entirely fictional PS4 and Nextbox, it's crazy.
It's because people are annoyed Nintendo isn't keeping up with Sony and MS. I think we all would have liked HD Nintendo games this generation instead of what we got. But hey, if Nintendo hadn't put out the Wii, they probably would have bowed out of the console race.

miksar

I'm going to go back to my original statement. The Wii U is a current gen console when it comes out this November, and it will shift to next-gen when the 720/PS4 come out. This predecessor business is meaningless.
What if Sony and Microsoft abandon console market and Nintendo releases an overclocked Wii U with a new controller 5 years later and continues to do so in the future? Will we be forever stuck in the same generation?

Gaogaogao

If it came out after the Wii, yes it would.

9072_a3a8.gif

right now, today, do people consider the wii to be current gen?

once upon a time luke smith called the wii new gen, not next gen.
this applies to the wii u 6 years later.

The two machines just couldn't have done it. Because they lack the hardware power and technology to pull it off. Not that it matters though.

Which generation was the Virtual Boy? Which generation was the DS since it was a "third pillar" and not successor to the Gameboy?

Jack_AG

Banned
It's because people are annoyed Nintendo isn't keeping up with Sony and MS. I think we all would have liked HD Nintendo games this generation instead of what we got. But hey, if Nintendo hadn't put out the Wii, they probably would have bowed out of the console race.
I sincerely hope none of the big 3 bow out. There needs to be that competition so we can see actual progression. I don't think PS3 or 360 would be half of what they are now if not for the other existing.

You don't have to like them all but you should hope they all stay for the sake of progress.

It's not tied to time period, it's tied to system progression and successor.

When I own a Wii U, I will call my Wii titles last-gen.
When I own a Xbox 127391, I will call my 360 titles last-gen.
When I own a PS4, I will call my PS3 titles last-gen.

Also, you don't go from last-gen to next-gen. There's a middle that's called current.

exactly this ^.

Mindlog

We must go deeper.

The WiiU, PS4 and XBOX3 are all 'Last Gen' hardware as it is unlikely that any of these machines will have traditional successors.

It is decided.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Which generation was the Virtual Boy? Which generation was the DS since it was a "third pillar" and not successor to the Gameboy?

Since "marketing speak" seems to be such a popular subject in this thread... Everyone knows that was thinly veiled language used in case the DS failed hard. It was always intended to be the successor to Gameboy but Nintendo had no idea how the market would react to it and needed a safety net in case it crashed and burned.

Portable systems are not part of the same generation as home consoles. I've never been into portable gaming much, so I'll refrain from arguing details of what generation any particular portable hardware is in.

Sissel

I sincerely hope none of the big 3 bow out. There needs to be that competition so we can see actual progression. I don't think PS3 or 360 would be half of what they are now if not for the other existing.

You don't have to like them all but you should hope they all stay for the sake of progress.
Definitely. I don't think Nintendo's software sales would be nearly as strong if they went third party either. It's great that they have their own console.

9072_a3a8.gif

right now, today, do people consider the wii to be current gen?

once upon a time luke smith called the wii new gen, not next gen.
this applies to the wii u 6 years later.

It doesn't matter what "people consider", they are factually wrong if they don't consider the Wii current gen. That's how generations work. My sister may be much younger than me, and way different in every way, but she is part of my generation because she was born from my parents.

The Wii is the successor to the Gamecube, and is the newest Nintendo home console, and so it is the current generation Nintendo console. The "current generation" of consoles in general is a collection of all the latest console hardware. Logically, the next generation will be all of the successors of the current generation consoles, plus whatever new comes out before the next wave.

cloudyy

yeah. In my mind you can release 2 "current gen" consoles in a generation if you wanted to.

Next gen should have started 1 year ago, they're late (not that I'm complaining, although one could argue that 3DS and Vita already started the new gen, the others have to follow and then we'll be able to call it current gen, when all major actors of the game industry release their new hardware unless one or more clearly state they won't.)

lednerg

No. Technology "generation"s are dictated by the leap being used in technology.

If my phone's successor used the same specs a year from now - you do not call that "next gen phone".

I will say there is more than just numbers tho - its products/services delivered on that platform and the bar that is set. If that bar is a "leap" over what is currently available by a rather largely visible margin - then you can call it "next gen".

If the bar is only raised slightly above current standards, then it is a minor advancement and not "next gen".

"Generation" is defined by a largely measurable leap over current offerings, when speaking of consoles.

First off, we're talking about console generations, not phones. Still, phones have such diverse specs and features, I couldn't even begin to guess how one could define those generations using hardware alone. It's got to be based on time. Since consoles tend to come out in groups and have life-cycles of at least 5 years, it's relatively easy for us to find which 'generations' they belong to. We're coming up to the 8th generation of consoles, fwiw.

Look, how much more "powerful" does the PS4 have to be compared to the PS3 to be called "next-gen"? Where is this magical number kept so I can check against it? What exactly is being measured and why? Who gets to decide what these arbitrary definitions are? It doesn't make sense outside of some console war trash talk session.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
First off, we're talking about console generations, not phones. Still, phones have such diverse specs and features, I couldn't even begin to guess how one could define those generations using hardware alone. It's got to be based on time. Since consoles tend to come out in groups and have life-cycles of at least 5 years, it's relatively easy for us to define the 'generations' they belong to.

Look, how much more "powerful" does the PS4 have to be compared to the PS3 to be called "next-gen"? Where is this magical number kept so I can check against it? What exactly is being measured and why? Who gets to decide what these arbitrary definitions are? It doesn't make sense outside of some console war trash talk session.

Fanboys, that's who!

First off, we're talking about console generations, not phones. Still, phones have such diverse specs and features, I couldn't even begin to guess how one could define those generations using hardware alone. It's got to be based on time. Since consoles tend to come out in groups and have life-cycles of at least 5 years, it's relatively easy for us to find which 'generations' they belong to. We're coming up to the 8th generation of consoles, fwiw.

Third parties decide when they make their next gen engines.

Judging by the current gen:

Wii U, PS4, and 720 will be "next gen" for at least 6 years into their own generation
current consoles will be "last gen"

Mindlog

It doesn't matter what "people consider", they are factually wrong if they don't consider the Wii current gen. That's how generations work. My sister may be much younger than me, and way different in every way, but she is part of my generation because she was born from my parents.
Is sequential ordering really this important? What's the point in using a label if it is completely devoid of meaning? It's an empty descriptor.

I'm using Last Gen™.

Is sequential ordering really this important? What's the point in using a label if it is completely devoid of meaning? It's an empty descriptor.

I'm using Last Gen™.

It's not supposed to be this important, it only becomes important when:

a) new consoles are coming out and everyone needs to use a blanket term to describe all of them at once

or

b) Kahnsoal Warz

Fanboys, that's who!

Actually the first similar controversial precedent I can recall of was originated when Kaz Hirai said something along the lines of "Next gen doesn't start until we say so", that was clearly a PR means to downplay XBox360.

So yes, the way I see it, this kind of reasonings is essentially fanboy fodder meant to dismiss competitors for a precise marketing strategy.

Mindlog

I like it when it works as useful shorthand.
In other industries when someone tells you a new product is released with the capabilities of a previous Gen "X" machine then I know exactly what they are talking about. In gaming we can't do that because it's an 'insult.'

Thus 720, PS4 and WiiU are all Last Gen. They are all in the last generation of traditional 'gaming' console hardware.

Top Bottom