• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The definition of "last generation"

batbeg

ooya what gen is it?

Next-gen, because it clearly comes out in a timeframe that suggests this current gen is finished/finishing.

I feel like some people are insecure about Nintendo being shown in a positive light. Wii U next-gen while my XStation3900 is only current-gen? Oh hell no, time to rewrite the definition of generation!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
lolno, next gen was being thrown around as a buzz word in 1995 for virtua fighter both for 32x and saturn.

It's not as sensationalized as today though. Back then it felt more like juvenile "BLAST PROCESSING" shit...

...then again it could still be juvenile only more mainstream. Yeah, you're right.

sTeLioSco

Banned
The Playstation 3 and xbox 360 were being referred to as "next gen" for years AFTER THEY WERE ALREADY OUT. Ever since the Wii came out and was underpowered, "next" was taken by many as "better", dictionary meaning be damned. "Next" and therefore "Last", when it comes to gaming, means nothing any longer.

So to heck with it. Once WiiU comes out, PS3 and Xbox360 will be referred to as "grapefuit generation".

lol.no they will be named current gen and their succesors current gens.
you really think not showing anything that differers from current gen othat the consumer will believe it?

because on consoles no-one will make next-gen games products untill their successors get released! its simple.

and if ms decides to just re-brand the current 360 and just add a bluray drive it wont be next gen for example.....

sTeLioSco

Banned
Next-gen, because it clearly comes out in a timeframe that suggests this current gen is finished/finishing.

I feel like some people are insecure about Nintendo being shown in a positive light. Wii U next-gen while my XStation3900 is only current-gen? Oh hell no, time to rewrite the definition of generation!

so if ms/sony extend the lifetime of their current consoles and the wiiu get delayed,then magically it will be current gen??????!111

it doesnt show anything next gen so its dependent on others to make the timeframes........

ooya is pre-2005 tech with their marketing niches(open android etc)

not a next gen console.

(and no im not technologically insecure lol. i just don't like bullshiting)

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
and if ms/sony extend the lifetime of their current consoles it will be current gen??????

it doesnt show anything next gen so its dependent on others to make the timeframes........

not a next gen console.

no. See, new consoles make new generations. It's the only way to define the jump. The Snes has been discountinued in 2000, does that mean the PSX/N64 were last gen?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
so if ms/sony extend the lifetime of their current consoles and the wiiu get delayed,then magically it will be current gen??????!111

not a next gen console.

(and no im not technologically insecure lol. i just don't like bullshiting)

erm what?

sTeLioSco

Banned
no. See, new consoles make new generations. The Snes has been discountinued in 2000, does that mean the PSX/N64 were last gen?

no and the ps2 is last gen.

honest question:

if sony rebrands the ps2 and sells it on january1 2013 as a ps4 with a different controller/box,what gen will it be?

Apenheul

The hardware point of view makes no sense at all, people just see what they want to see. XBOX would be its own generation viewed in that light, launched 5 years before Wii but having a more 'modern' architecture. PS2 would be a generation behind NGC. PS1 a generation behind N64. Let's not revise history.

Currygan

noi and the ps2 is last gen.

honest question:

if sony rebrands the ps2 and sells it on january1 2013 as a ps4 with a different controller/box,what gen will it be?

still next gen, not sure why you don't see it

it's a next gen console with old tech

batbeg

noi and the ps2 is last gen.

honest question:

Are you... are you for real? Hypothetical situations only go so far and you're creating such irrelevant ones I am starting to wonder of you're a chat program, or just throwing down every 168th word from your favorite book to create sentences.

sTeLioSco

Banned
still next gen, not sure why you don't see it

it's a next gen console with old tech

ok then,thanks for your answer and tonight ill make a special prayer and thank god that earths technology and innovation isn't at the hands of nintendo fanboys.

enjoy old gen games like assasins creed 3 and batman arkham city on your fresh next gen console....

Wait... people think Wii U is a rebranded Wii?!

no,it just uses current gen technology on a product marketed as next-gen.

meta4

no. See, new consoles make new generations. The Snes has been discountinued in 2000, does that mean the PSX/N64 were last gen?

So for argument sake lets assume hypothetically the WiiU was identical to Wii in power but has a tablet controller instead of a motion controller. Now assuming the WiiU is released after the Wii would WiiU still be considered next gen? If snes was released after n64 would snes be considered next gen. IMO it is important to consider the power of the console ( compared to the competition as well as the time of launch ) to come to a conclusion on whether a given product should be labeled as next gen.

Currygan

ok then,thanks for your answer and tonight ill make a special prayer and thank god that earths technology and innovation isn't at the hands of nintendo fanboys.

enjoy old gen games like assasins creed 3 and batman arkham city on your fresh next gen console....

so this was your whole point, going all out and offending Nintendo fans? Ooook.

So for argument sake lets assume hypothetically the WiiU was identical to Wii in power but has a tablet controller instead of a motion controller. Now assuming the WiiU is released after the Wii would WiiU still be considered next gen? If snes was released after n64 would snes be considered next gen. IMO it is important to consider the power of the console ( compared to the competition as well as the time of launch ) to come to a conclusion on whether a given product should be labeled as next gen.

not how I see it. Horsepower has nothing to do with how I (and I assume most) define a next gen console

sTeLioSco

Banned

its not only the date.

i can make a next gen console on my garage with 70s tech according to some ppl!!!!

as long its released next year.

so this was your whole point, going all out and offending Nintendo fans? Ooook.

no but feel free to contact a moderator if you only like listening to marketing and pr.

SappYoda

Since bit counting became stupid at 128, since the number of bits the processor had didn't really matter for the system to be more powerful, they started using the term "generation".

But once again since next generations consoles are not directly more powerful than the predecessor, Ouya being the clear example, marketing teams might start dropping the term.

batbeg

All products competing against one another are in the same generation. The label has absolutely no use in any way, unless you are trying to refer to a set of consoles existing within a certain timeframe.

It's really like the easiest thing in the world.

Past - current - next

These words clearly all refer to time.

jerd

As stupid as this argument is, I feel compelled to chime in. The issue comes from using "next gen", "current gen", "last gen". There can be no argument made as to whether or not the Wii U is a part of the 8th generation of consoles. If you have one, I will be glad to hear it so that I may laugh at you. Now, for the bullshit hypothetical to prove my point.

Say Nintendo releases the Wii U this year, and people insist it is part of the same gen as X360/PS3, therefor a 7th gen console. In 2018, Nintendo releases another home console of identical power, choosing interface innovation over horsepower. Then, in 2023, Nintendo decides to release another console of the same graphical power, expanding on the ideas of their 2018 console. Does Nintendo now have 3 7th generation consoles? 4 counting the Wii? Is Nintendo releasing a 7th generation console in 2023 while the other companies are halfway into the life cycle of their 9th gen consoles? No. No they are not. That's stupid.

Edit: Also, I think for some reason the fact that the Wii U has a touch screen controller is being completely lost on some people. If you MUST use hardware to define generations, please take into consideration that controllers are also hardware.

flattie

Surely 'next gen' just refers to the forthcoming consoles - regardless of supposed power? Nobody referred to the Wii as last gen despite it being technically inferior to the other consoles.

The Wii U is Nintendo's next gen machine (soon to be current gen). It will be sold alongside Sony and Microsoft's next gen machines. You would assume that this would be criteria enough to use a generalised 'next gen' label to describe all three.

sTeLioSco

Banned
All products competing against one another are in the same generation. The label has absolutely no use in any way, unless you are trying to refer to a set of consoles existing within a certain timeframe.

It's really like the easiest thing in the world.

Past - current - next

These words clearly all refer to time.

Lada sells cars today that are technologically from the soviet-era.new releases but with old tech.

in the car industry no-one refers them as current!
definetly not car-reviewers and buyers.

so thank god some posters dont do car reviews then......................

meta4

not how I see it. Horsepower has nothing to do with how I (and I assume most) define a next gen console

But if hypothetically Iphone 3g were released only now after the original Iphone at best you could call it a next generation iphone and not a next generation phone given what the competition is making. Making an iteration of your original product may be next generation for you but not necessarily next gen in the overall scheme of things when comparing other products in the market.

plufim

lol.no they will be named current gen and their succesors current gens.
you really think not showing anything that differers from current gen othat the consumer will believe it?

because on consoles no-one will make next-gen games products untill their successors get released! its simple.

and if ms decides to just re-brand the current 360 and just add a bluray drive it wont be next gen for example.....

Next means the NEXT ONE. It is not a measure of quality. There is no reason to take the term "next generation" and use it to mean "not Nintendo".

Of course adding a bluray drive wouldn't make it a new generation. That's an utterly ridiculous argument. PSP GO was still a PSP, despite some radical changes.

Using "next generation" to mean anything other than "the next console cycle" means you are drinking marketing cool-aid.

There's always a period of confusion and "next gen" -> "you mean current-gen" and "current-gen" -> "you mean last gen" whenever transitioning between generations. This happens even when all consoles of the "next generation" have already been released, as most people (including myself) take a while to "shift gears" and recatalog all consoles accordingly in their minds.

They will a bit yes, but not entirely until all three consoles move on.
The degree to which WiiU affects the last gen market will affect perceptions as well.

Currygan

But if hypothetically Iphone 3g were released only now after the original Iphone at best you could call it a next generation iphone and not a next generation phone given what the competition is making. Making an iteration of your original product may be next generation for you but not necessarily next gen in the overall scheme of things when comparing other products in the market.

but comparing similar products doesn't define what a next gen is. New products do, whether they feature old tech or not. The Wii is current gen, and we see a lot of reviews saying "graphics are abysmal compared to 360/ps3". yet it's still a current gen console, but with old tech. It was Nintendo decision to enter the new gen of consoles with that limited horsepower

I was thinking: when the Wii U launches, will every Wii, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 game become games that we refer to as "last generation"? For instance, will Bioshock Infinite, which is coming out in February next year (several months after Wii U), be referred to as a "last-gen" game on it's release day?

Technically they should. If Wii U wasn't just bringing Nintendo hardware up to current standards, there would be no question about it. But yeah, Wii U is a next gen console so every PS3 and Xbox 360 game released next year will belong to the previous generation.

And by this logic, wouldn't all current games be last-gen, as the next generation has already started with the 3DS and Vita?

No, because it doesn't make much sense to lump home consoles and handhelds together.

Also, do you think "generations" will start disappearing, in the sense that we no longer refer to consoles as last-gen, current-gen and next-gen?

Too early to tell. They might, they might not.

tkscz

no,this is a different situation lol.

we talk about man-made devices not organics that made dirrectly the next generation.
you can develop 80s hardware and sell it today(example for novelty). the date you sell it doesnt change the fact tha is old tech!

wiiu is current gen with a different control method.
at least thats what it showed untill now!!

the ooya console in what generation is it??
next gen according you!!!!

the same with wiiu that came after the current consoles.
but they don't do anything thats "next gen".only their niche(open android console,screen on controller console)

OOYA the next gen console, preorder now and get a free last gen xbox 360(kinect sold seperatly)

Wow, this is so much wrong. Generation is AND CAN ONLY BE a measurement of time, not of hardware. When the Wii-U releases it WILL BE APART OF GENERATION 8. No matter what it's hardware is. So yes, that includes Ooya because it's released in Generation 8. Sick of this shit.

flattie

Your argument is technology based. Most consoles are virtually out of date from a technological point of view before they even launch. Those that aren't are soon superseded. Consoles by their nature a fairly stagnant systems and so it has always made sense to describe them in terms of generational cycles.

If rumours are to be believed, the PS4 and Durango will not be even close to bleeding edge either, so what right do they claim to be next gen other than being the next iteration of their product line?

sTeLioSco

Banned
Wow, this is so much wrong. Generation is AND CAN ONLY BE a measurement of time, not of hardware. When the Wii-U releases it WILL BE APART OF GENERATION 8. No matter what it's hardware is. So yes, that includes Ooya because it's released in Generation 8. Sick of this shit.

ok you conviced me.

ill go get some 100Mhz pentium cpus and 3dfx voodo cards,put them on a shiny new box and sell them as next gen consoles next year.

done.

(im sick of ppl that dislike technology moving forward)

Maybe, although it was blatantly clear from day one the Dreamcast was.

Jokes aside, I'm firmly on the side of whatever comes next, is next-gen. Power is a pointless measurement, because it'd put the 3DS in the previous generation for example.

Would it? I thought handhelds were typically one gen behind, though things are starting to get a little staggered.

GB/GBC in the SNES era with NES power

GBA in the 64 era with SNES power

DS in the GC/Wii era with 64 power

3DS in the Wii/Wii U era with GC power

Unless you're saying the 3DS is only as powerful as a PSP?

But how do you determine where the seventh generation ends and the eighth generation begins?

ok you conviced me.

ill go get some 100Mhz pentium cpus and 3dfx voodo cards,put them on a shiny new box and sell them as next gen consoles next year.

done.

You do that. Nobody will buy them, but if they establish a new format (i.e. they don't just run already available games), they will be next gen consoles.

tkscz

Technically they should. If Wii U wasn't just bringing Nintendo hardware up to current standards, there would be no question about it. But yeah, Wii U is a next gen console so every PS3 and Xbox 360 game released next year will belong to the previous generation.

If the Wii-U has newer hardware and more RAM than current gen, how is it just meeting this gen standards?

No, because it doesn't make much sense to lump home consoles and handhelds together

This is correct. Handheld generations are separate from consoles due to handhelds having faster releases. The 3DS and Vita are in the 8th generation of handhelds and should not be included in the console's generations.

But how do you determine where the seventh generation ends and the eighth generation begins?

When a console is released after a previous console generation. Nintendo made the Wii AFTER the Gamecube, so the Wii is generation 7, regardless of being underpowered. The DreamCast was released AFTER the Saturn, regardless of being extremely early and underpowered. The WiiU is the start of generation 8. It's the successor to the Wii.

When it comes to new comers, it depends on how many years it's been sense the other companies released a console. IE when Sony first released the playstation, or Microsoft first released the Xbox.

Perkel

Banned
It's easy.

Generation is not only time frame or next number console but it is also connected with power of hardware and what this will improve.
If someone says next generation it doesn't mean that it will be only next console but also it will deliver something new and will be overall vastly better than current generation.
You don't call next phone with 100mhz more new generation, you don't call new lcd with 2ms less response time.

Till Wii release it was rather easy to fallow because all consoles improved with each generation. When Wii was released line got blurred.

Is Wii U next generation of Nintendo consoles ? Yes
Is Wii U next generation of overall consoles ? No, it is not. It's just last console from current gen same as Wii was last console from PS2 era. It's just nintendo released 2 consoles from PS2 era.

And don't get me started with this consoles generation and other generations are different. No they are not different. Next generation therm was created from humans. Middle aged and older people called younger people new generation because they weren't only younger but also they were vasty different to them, more educated, modern, with better understanding of world, better than them. They didn't call 5 year younger people next generation. It was something mayor.

Calling new console which will have same games as current generation next-gen is stupid.

If Sony and MS will have same hardware as Wii then Wii U will be next gen but if they will be faster whole industry will fallow MS and Sony and Wii U will be left with ports of PS3/x360 games meaning last gen.

jerd

ok you conviced me.

done.

I can't tell if you are being serious or just being intentionally dim for the sake of trolling. Some of the hyperbole here is just ridiculous. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean Wii U is not next gen hardware.

wii_u_gamepad_black-580x358.jpg

Above = Hardware

ElRenoRaven

It's easy.

Generation is not only time frame or next number console but it is also connected with power of hardware and what this will improve.
If someone says next generation it doesn't mean that it will be only next console but also it will deliver something new and will be overall vastly better than current generation.
You don't call next phone with 100mhz more new generation, you don't call new lcd with 2ms less response time.

Till Wii release it was rather easy to fallow because all consoles improved with each generation. When Wii was released line got blurred.

Is Wii U next generation of Nintendo consoles ? Yes
Is Wii U next generation of overall consoles ? No, it is not. It's just last console from current gen same as Wii was last console from PS2 era. It's just nintendo released 2 consoles from PS2 era.

And don't get me started with this consoles generation and other generations are different. No they are not different. Next generation therm was created from humans. Middle aged and older people called younger people new generation because they weren't only younger but also they were vasty different to them, more educated, modern, with better understanding of world, better than them. They didn't call 5 year younger people next generation. It was something mayor.

Calling new console which whave same games and probably will have same games as current generation next-gen is stupid.

If Sony and MS will have same hardware as Wii then Wii U will be next gen but if they will be faster whole industry will fallow MS and Sony and Wii U will be left with ports of PS3/x360 games meaning last gen.

DING DING DING DING DING. We have a winner. I'll love my WII U but it will never be a next gen console. Ye s it will be the next gen Nintendo console though.

sTeLioSco

Banned
I can't tell if you are being serious or just being intentionally dim for the sake of trolling. Some of the hyperbole here is just ridiculous. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean Wii U is not next gen hardware.

Above = Hardware

I can't tell if you are being serious or just being intentionally dim for the sake of trolling. Some of the hyperbole here is just ridiculous. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean Wii U is not current gen hardware.

below = hardware

xlarge.png

cross-platform_play.png

- each company has different pack-ins and marketing. nintendo just sells the standard controller as accessory.others do the opposite.
nothing bad with that.
its all simple.

Perkel

Banned

Above = Hardware

Just because you like it, it doesn't mean it's next-gen.

Yagharek

DING DING DING DING DING. We have a winner. I'll love my WII U but it will never be a next gen console. Ye s it will be the next gen Nintendo console though.

You sure?

He included a pretty broad escape clause right at the end.

If the Wii-U has newer hardware and more RAM than current gen, how is it just meeting this gen standards?

From everything we know, and especially everything we've seen, it's in the same ball park as current gen consoles. It's more advanced in some ways, even if that's not exactly showing yet, but I think saying that it just brings Nintendo's hardware up to current standards is more than a fair assessment.

Top Bottom