• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Democratic National Convention OT |2016|: The One With the Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldmund

The Republican convention was the first one I actively followed. A demonic pep rally. Stuff of nightmares. How different are the Democratic ones usually? In my dreams it would be just a bunch of charming, smart and non-descript people, calmly distilling information, sketching demographic, economic and diplomatic challenges, offering tentative solutions, as solemn about sharing their fears as they are eager to share their hopes. I really don't want them to make it about Donald Trump, his "platform" should be treated as a past they've long escaped.

rjinaz

The Republican convention was the first one I actively followed. A demonic pep rally. Stuff of nightmares. How different are the Democratic ones usually? In my dreams it would be just a bunch of charming, smart and non-descript people, calmly distilling information, sketching demographic, economic and diplomatic challenges, offering tentative solutions, as solemn about sharing their fears as they are eager to share their hopes. I really don't want them to make it about Donald Trump, his "platform" should be treated as a past they've long escaped.

I mean if you followed the campaigning so far, it's safe to assume that it will be just that. But yeah Donald will be mentioned, because I think it does need to be repeated to people just how vile that man is. It won't be the theme of the convention like the RNC, no.

Hazmat

I was thinking that the celebrity speakers didn't do much for me (though better than the RNC's) until I saw Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Always been a fan, though his playing days were before my time. I also hope for pictures of him towering over famous Democrats, I've already seen one of him and Hillary and it's incredible how little she looks next to him.

Looking at the Republican platform vs the Democratic platform it's like there could not be a more night and day difference within the same form of government. Very pleased with that Democratic platform.

Amazing lineup.

The contrast between the DNC and the RNC is simply startling and will only become more obvious once the convention is underway. No Republican worth their salt wanted to touch their convention with a thirty nine and a half foot pole and had to rely on D-list celebrities to fill time. By contrast the DNC couldn't slot in everyone.

Hillary can be a great orator when she wants to be (18 million cracks in the glass ceiling *snif*) and I hope she brings her A-game this time. Kaine blew everyone's expectations away at the Miami rally. Obama, Biden, Bill, and Sanders have all proven their charisma. And Michelle Obama was so good this'll be the second convention she's featured at this week.

And their guests? Mothers of the Movement? Chair of the Human Rights Campaign, a transgender woman? A DREAMer? Powerful. They're firing on all cylinders here.

Equality. Inclusion. Love. Hope. All of these represent the liberal movement in America and they will win in November.

It'd be nice to see something like Trudeau's "sunny ways" in contrast to the dark fear-mongering of Trump's speech,

https://www.liberal.ca/the-sunny-way/ said:
In contrast to Bowell’s heavy-handed approach, Liberal Leader Wilfrid Laurier proposed that a diplomatic “sunny way" would work better, using as an illustration Aesop’s fable in which the sun and the wind hold a contest to see who can remove a traveler’s coat. The sun’s warm rays prove more effective than the wind’s bluster.

I felt like countering the conservative divisiveness with positivity really helped the Canadian Liberals have a better than expected outcome.

And I might argue this would be the right move for the democrats against the republicans.

a93a46d5fabed70c2456bba781bb1494.jpg

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Is it normal for Chelsea to be an headliner?
Also hoping the best from Bill. Delivered probably the best speech (along with obama) in 2008\2012, but this year he hasn't been that great.

Debbie Wasserman-Schultz just announced she is resigning as Chief at the end of the Convention.

Wow.
I think we can mark that as the first real positive effect of Wikileaks.

zethren

Banned
I'm really looking forward to these speeches, that is one hell of a lineup.

I'm also hoping that Bernie speaking will go a long way to dispel the "Bernie or bust" folks.

Speely

Banned
Reading that platform, tho. As dark as things have gotten lately, it's nice to read such a progressive platform (comparatively) to get a lil more psyched to go vote :)

I have some...berniebros on facebook. Atleast one of them. One of his dumbass friends posted about how Jill Stein is the only one worth being president after Bernie dropped out, L-O-L.

Oh my god. These people are awful.

Dirca

Finally! A week where sane people talk! Last week was so depressing with that doom and gloom message.

at least i know this wont make me angry, but i hope there's a limited amount of stupidity

So in other words, it's going to be pretty boring? I was highly entertained with the RNC last week. Haven't laughed that much in a while.

Hope the Bernie Busters pull some shenanigans to keep things interesting.

I'm glad Philadelphia gets to show off how great a city it is during this event. Hope everyone attending has a great time.

If any gaffers are attending feel free to post in the PhillyGAF thread for tips on what to do/see.

WedgeX

Banned
I was thinking that the celebrity speakers didn't do much for me (though better than the RNC's) until I saw Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Always been a fan, though his playing days were before my time. I also hope for pictures of him towering over famous Democrats, I've already seen one of him and Hillary and it's incredible how little she looks next to him.

He's been writing pieces for the Washington Post for a while and its been pretty great reading his thoughts. Can't wait for his speech.

RPGCrazied

So in other words, it's going to be pretty boring? I was highly entertained with the RNC last week. Haven't laughed that much in a while.

Uh yes? I'd rather keep it boring and sane than off the walls batshit crazy. I live in America, so what Trump is proposing will affect millions of lives. Its not a joke.

Mizerman

I'd rather watch something that is "boring" and actually worth my time. If I wanted to watch something stupid, the various reality tv shows are there.

This is not a game.

Hazmat

He's been writing pieces for the Washington Post for a while and its been pretty great reading his thoughts. Can't wait for his speech.

Yeah, I always enjoy when one of his opinion pieces pops up. I guess I ought to give one of his books a try someday.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

It's time to show the world what it looks like when sane adults and someone capable of running the country are talking, instead of fearmongering old white men, lying plagiarists, and, to quote the Huffington post, a serial liar, rampant xenophobe, racist, misogynist birther who has repeatedly pledged to ban all Muslims, as in 1.6 billion members of an entire religion, from entering the U.S.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I'm not voting for her or Trump anyway. Just enjoyed the comedy coming out of the RNC last week.
This is absolutely not a statement that should be said proudly. You're basically saying you don't care about the future. ಠ_ಠ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom