• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Devil Inside has a shitty ending (Warning: Spoiler inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahaha I just looked and it's trending on Twitter, and NOBODY has anything positive to say. Is the movie even actually scary, (should note, the trailers HORRIFIED me) and just the ending is so bad it makes people hate it, or is it genuinely just a shitty bad movie through-and-through with no decent scares?

MIMIC

Banned
Glad the title was adjusted. Shitty movie or not, some people still wanna see it and be surprised by whatever happens.

Gilgamesh

My girlfriend wanted to see this but I read her some lines from reviews which convinced her to at least only make us spend a dollar Redboxing it.

DKehoe

Yeah, I don't get it. His troll was getting the crowd to cheer for ten minutes?

To provide context he has been away for quite a period of time. The return of a mystery man was hyped for a few months or so. Most people figured out it would be Jericho so when he did return they went crazy and were really happy to have him back. But all Jericho did was encourage the crowd to cheer for him for 10 minutes then walked out.

Guzim

$17m on just Friday.

vi3na.jpg

Good job America. Wait, I mean.

Erzdv.gif

bengraven

Just posted this on Facebook and no one cares.

"LOL, Ben, it looks SOoOOoOO good so who fucking cares".

I hate my god damn family.

Why is it so cool to hate on BWP? Thought that film was pretty well received... Because it didn't have an (proper?) ending? Because of the marketing? Genuinely curious.
From what I can tell personal enjoyment of BWP decreased steadily for a given person the farther from release they got, as marketing and hype continued to escalate/morph and details became better known (this was all pre-internet bubble so information dissemination wasn't remotely as rapid as it is today). I saw it on the recommendation of a film critic who saw it at SXSW or Sundance or whatever; he was scared shitless by it, most of the people I saw it with (on the west coast in LA at opening when it wasn't on many theaters) were scared by it, but about 3 months later it had spread and the gimmick was being made fun of by Letterman and anyone who was still seeing it was going "that's it?".

From what I can tell personal enjoyment of BWP decreased steadily for a given person the farther from release they got, as marketing and hype continued to escalate/morph and details became better known (this was all pre-internet bubble so information dissemination wasn't remotely as rapid as it is today). I saw it on the recommendation of a film critic who saw it at SXSW or Sundance or whatever; he was scared shitless by it, most of the people I saw it with (on the west coast in LA at opening when it wasn't on many theaters) were scared by it, but about 3 months later it had spread and the gimmick was being made fun of by Letterman and anyone who was still seeing it was going "that's it?".

I love Blair Witch and thought it had a great ending when the actual context of said ending is considered. I'm not sure how that story could have had some hugely narrative driven resolution. They died and the whole point of watching was to see what went down exactly leading up to their deaths and I thought the ending was really creepy and even clever by taking a detail that is just briefly mentioned during the townsfolk interview sessions and realizing it.

Not true.

I saw a screening before it was released.

I thought it was shit.

Meh

I'm tired of these small scale demonic possession movies which are just the Jim Rose Travelling Circus contortionists swearing like sailors and jump cuts.

If all demons can do is make people into swearing pretzels, I don't see the problem.

End of Days scale or GTFO!

Risible

I never got the BWP hate. I thought it was really well done. The ending made perfect sense given what we learned during the movie. The whole "never show the monster" angle was terrific, especially in this day and age of shitty CGI monsters.

It scared the shit out of me, but then again I got into the atmosphere and vibe of the movie.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, what's the best horror movie? Every horror movie I see is shit.

Frankfurt

Banned
The previous title was a LOT more useful and wasn't a spoiler at all. Now some people will actually waste time watching the movie thinking "it can't be that bad". Mods are guaranteeing some people will burn money away and support this kind of BS.

Frankfurt

Banned
Every horror movie I see is shit.

Haha oh wow.

I bet some guy thinks all platformers are shit because of the massive ammount of god-awful Sonic games.

Halloween '78
Psycho '60
Rosemary's Baby
The Thing '82
The Exorcist
Alien
The Fog '80
Ringu
Scream
Hellraiser
Black Christmas '74
Dead Alive
Evil Dead
A Nightmare on Elm Street '84
Night of the Living Dead '68
The Shining

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It disgusts me how successful these low rent shitty ghost/poltergeist/possession movies have been. How soon before that's the only kind of movie that Paramount makes?

Bug, American Psycho, Perfect Blue, Halloween (the original only )

I like your style.

The Thing isn't particularly scary anymore but god damn is it good.

Nightmare on Elm Street is still great, despite being cheesy as fuck (the good ones all are, really, except The Thing).

Is Black Swan a horror film? It got pretty fucking creepy

I wish I had seen this thread last night before going out.

I've never booed a movie in a theater until last night. I'm not the type of person to do that sort of thing but as soon as the bullshit ending happened it came out of me almost as if it were a reflex.

Not even being a bit drunk (which usually helps) made the movie any good. The ending just sobered me up completely because I couldn't believe it. I feel kinda bad now because I kept nudging one of my friends who was passing out next to me so he wouldn't miss any good parts, I should've just let him sleep.

I dunno if it was the ending that soured the whole movie for me but I can't even come up with anything good to say about the movie. I felt completely disconnected from the main characters, it tried to film like a doc but it didn't do a good job of that at all, all in all it felt like a lazy cash in.

I typically steer clear of reviews or word of mouth and like to make my own judgement but this movie may have changed that.

Holy shit I still can't believe it.

I've never booed a movie in a theater until last night. I'm not the type of person to do that sort of thing but as soon as the bullshit ending happened it came out of me almost as if it were a reflex.

Not even being a bit drunk (which usually helps) made the movie any good. The ending just sobered me up completely because I couldn't believe it. I feel kinda bad now because I kept nudging one of my friends who was passing out next to me so he wouldn't miss any good parts, I should've just let him sleep.

I dunno if it was the ending that soured the whole movie for me but I can't even come up with anything good to say about the movie. I felt completely disconnected from the main characters, it tried to film like a doc but it didn't do a good job of that at all, all in all it felt like a lazy cash in.

I typically steer clear of reviews or word of mouth and like to make my own judgement but this movie may have changed that.

Oh dear, I think this thread could use some more fresh audience response reports!

eastmen

Banned
Not true.

I saw a screening before it was released.

I thought it was shit.

The trick with blair witch is that they tell you the ending at the start of the movie and it all makes sense if you pay attention. And when the ending events are happening your remembering whats being said and you have that oh shit moment

This movie is just a mess. You don't care about any one in the movie and the one thing they try to bring up is never answered . Did he kill his uncle ? Did his uncle and other priests molest him and he made it up in his head that he was an exorsist .

I dunno. The rest of the characters stink , there was only try at a scare and it was the start of the movie .

The best part of this movie is when the random guy checks out her ass while walking by on the street

The trick with blair witch is that they tell you the ending at the start of the movie and it all makes sense if you pay attention. And when the ending events are happening your remembering whats being said and you have that oh shit moment

If you are suggesting that I wasn't paying attention or that I didn't understand it, lol.

eastmen

Banned
If you are suggesting that I wasn't paying attention or that I didn't understand it, lol.

Nope , wasn't sugesting it . I was just point out the diffrence between these two movies. Blair witch has a plot and a resolution. Devil inside is just a mess.

Not everyone is going to find every movie scary. I didn't find blair witch scary , i had the moment at the end where it came together for me . My gf of the time was freaking out however.

On the flip side I didn't find paranormal activity scary but after watching it i spent the next 6 nights alone in my house and just couldn't sleep with all the random noises in the house. My gf was scared during it but was fine after it .

Also I have a friend who was scared by the ending of insideious .. dunno how that happened

scitek

I reviewed it for Bloody-Disgusting. I dunno, it wasn't good, but I've seen movies that are MUCH worse than this one.

I'm pretty sure the ending is leaving such a bad taste in people's mouths that they immediately think the whole thing's that bad, but there are some entertaining bits. The real problem is it starts off like a genuine "found footage" film (not really a fan of the genre), but then it forgets half-way through and pretty much becomes a generic horror flick. At first, time lapses between scenes on a regular basis and it feels somewhat genuine, but everything in the second half is framed and shot just like a typical movie and it's jarring.

I always hate how the douchebag camera guys in these things just can't put the goddamn thing down, too. Drives me nuts.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Oh dear, I think this thread could use some more fresh audience response reports!

Just came back. It was decent, border line good. But the ending killed it and was beyond stupid. More than half the audience (full house) booed.

I'm not going to the dumb ass site to finish the movie. Just going to cry over the fact I paid $21 to see it.

The commercials say this movie is "inspired by a true story", but I've looked everywhere online and no one can say what story they're talking about. Not that it matters.
95% of horror movies that say that are usually inspired by Manson. It's just a marketing trick to get dumb people to believe that the movies actually happened.

Also, I was going to go see this movie last night, as I'm I enjoy the "found footage" type films. (And after seeing the reviews, I wanted to see just how bad it was.)

Went to the movie theater I normally go to, and the line was the longest I had ever seen it get. And I've gone to many high profile movies on opening night, even of similar genre. So I just turned around and left. Looks like I did the right thing.

I recommend checking out Alien Abduction: Incident at Lake County; the whole thing is on Google video. It came out a year before Blair Witch and imo does the genre better.

Another one from that era that predates BWP is THE LAST BROADCAST. It's about the Jersey Devil in the Pine Barrens. It's pretty good, but has flaws.

There is a story about the filmmakers, traveling to Sundance. They overheard a conversation on the plane about a new horror film that was about documentarians getting into trouble while pursuing some legend. They got really excited, thinking that they were about to become famous, but when they got to the festival, the awful truth was revealed. They got fucked by BWP. That must have hurt really effin bad.

Of course, they all owe a lot to CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST.

Fuck you to whoever paid to see this shit. Now with that monster box office return we're going to be stuck with even more shitty found footage movies. Paranormal Activity was bad enough, but at least there was only one of those turds a year.

Fuck you to whoever paid to see this shit. Now with that monster box office return we're going to be stuck with even more shitty found footage movies. Paranormal Activity was bad enough, but at least there was only one of those turds a year.

But but but... Everyone knows its a shitty movie and are going for lulz!! It's not like $10 mean anything if you have a good tiem!!!11!11

Piano

Banned
The commercials say this movie is "inspired by a true story", but I've looked everywhere online and no one can say what story they're talking about. Not that it matters.

No no, the commercials say 'inspired by true events.' Which is the absolute bottom tier of 'fact' based storytelling.

Based on a true story - there's a story, this movie is about it
Based on true events - some things happened, here's a movie about them
Inspired by a true story - I heard this story, it made me write this film
Inspired by true events - Stuff happened, then I wrote this film.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
When I saw Blair Witch, the twist setup in the beginning was completely lost on me thanks to the audio quality and choice of dialog and then at the end, the execution was so bad and jerky that me and about 50% of the audience had to have it explained in the foyer. Plus motion sickness.

MetalAlien

Banned
We saw it last night...

So if you take the ending as it is, without the tacky "go here to learn more", they all died in a car crash? See if you removed the website URL, it's just a weak ending. The URL just makes it seem like they wanted to add some revenue with some ad clicks or something. I think the movie would have ended the same either way. It's just shitty writing, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom