• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

isny

napkin dispenser
Nemesis556 said:
So, will this work with Amazon? That's really the only way I can grab these in Australia =(

See my above post. You can open up a chat and try. Otherwise, you missed out on the coupon Amazon had available a month or so ago which instantly brought the price down to $15.00.

Keep in mind, if you open up a chat and they say no, nothing it stopping you from opening up another the next day. Just be polite and explain your situation and you should be fine.

"Hello, I recently purchased "insert blu ray" from you and notice that there is now a $10 coupon available. If you could please adjust my order to reflect this, or provide me with a credit I could use in the future instead, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!"

Something along those lines.

FOOTE

I watched my Alice blu earlier. I haven't watched since I was a kid, and it's still just as wacky and awesome as ever.

I'm kinda hyped for the new Pooh movie, as that could mean the classic Pooh could come to blu ray either when it hits cinemas or when the new one comes out on blu itself. It could be a good filler for the huge gap between The Incredibles and The Lion King BD releases.

mj1108

Finally got Alice on BluRay tonight. I planned on getting it at Best Buy since I had $10 in RZ coupons (which would have made it free), but their inventory said they have 3 but they can't find them anywhere.....so I went ahead and got it at Target.

Fuck Best Buy.

Excellent thread idea.
I just picked up Fantasia and watched it tonight.
Good lord I love this movie. The fricken mushrooms kill me everytime

BruceLeeRoy said:
Excellent thread idea.
I just picked up Fantasia and watched it tonight.
Good lord I love this movie. The fricken mushrooms kill me everytime
Fantasia is amazing. My only complaint is that The Rite of Spring drags on a bit too long.

Other than that, it's genius. The Night on Bald Mountain/Ave Maria portion is just incredible.

JdFoX187

Banned
Stoffinator said:
I can't wait for The Lion King. Best Disney movie ever.
It's certainly the best of their second golden age of animation. I'm looking forward to it and Aladdin. Wish they would bring out Jungle Book on blu ray. That's probably my favorite Disney film of all time. I used to have it memorized.

Snaku

Banned
FOOTE said:
I'm kinda hyped for the new Pooh movie, as that could mean the classic Pooh could come to blu ray either when it hits cinemas or when the new one comes out on blu itself.

I'm so down for this. I simply adore the animation in the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, and I can't wait to see it in 1080p.

BertramCooper said:
Fantasia is amazing. My only complaint is that The Rite of Spring drags on a bit too long.

Other than that, it's genius. The Night on Bald Mountain/Ave Maria portion is just incredible.

It really is. As a a kid the dinosaur scene and the one with Chernabog emblazoned themselves on my memory. Few movies had that kind of effect on me.

Le-mo said:
So I went to Wal-Mart today to pick Alice and Wonderland, but it was priced for $24.99 instead of $19.99 on their website. When the cashier rang it up and I gave her the $10 coupon the guy next to her said it had to be the original, not printed since the scanner wouldn't scan it. Wtf? I decided not to buy the movie.
Go back and tell that guy to shove the coupon up his ass and give you the $10 off. It's an internet-only coupon, FROM Disney themselves, making it a manufacturer's coupon. There was no "original" version that you made a copy of, Disney specifically makes you print it out yourself. If it doesn't ring up, the cashier is supposed to take off the $10 anyway and keep the coupon, because they mail them in to Disney at the end of the promotion and Disney mails them back a check for the balance.

isny said:
See my above post. You can open up a chat and try. Otherwise, you missed out on the coupon Amazon had available a month or so ago which instantly brought the price down to $15.00.

Keep in mind, if you open up a chat and they say no, nothing it stopping you from opening up another the next day. Just be polite and explain your situation and you should be fine.

"Hello, I recently purchased "insert blu ray" from you and notice that there is now a $10 coupon available. If you could please adjust my order to reflect this, or provide me with a credit I could use in the future instead, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!"

Something along those lines.

Tried this unsuccessfully, conversation went as follows:

Me: Hello, I placed an order for "Alice In Wonderland (Two-Disc 60th Anniversary Blu-ray/DVD Combo)" just a bit ago and right after doing so I noticed that there is a $10 coupon available for it directly from Disney. If you could please adjust my order to reflect this, or provide me with a credit I could use in the future instead, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Mahesh: Hello, my name is Mahesh. I'll be happy to help you today.
[My name], let me look into the order.
Me: Thank you, The order number is [insert order number]
Mahesh: Thank you for waiting, [My name].
I've checked the item, and i'm unable to find the $10 coupon you're referring to, on the website.
Me: It is a coupon offered by Disney. You go to this website http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/promotions/special-offers/alice-upgrade and put in a code from a movie you have bought from them previously and they give you a $10 coupon you can print and take to any store. I was hoping I could use it for here instead, since I prefer to do my shopping with Amazon.
Mahesh: [My name], I've checked the offer details and see that thiis is offered by Disney, and so we're unable to make it apply to this order, now
Me: So then the only way I could use it would be to cancel my order and buy it in a store that honors their coupon instead? I was really hoping I could get it honored here instead.
Mahesh: [My name], I understand your concern, and i'm sorry for the inconvenience this may cause to you.
As I mentioned earlier, as this is offered by Disney, we're unable to make this apply to you on this order.
Me: Alright, well thank you for you time anyways.
Mahesh: You're welcome. Thank you for contacting Amazon. We hope to see you again. Have a great day.
Mahesh from Amazon.com has left the conversation.

I was going to cancel it and try running to best buy later today, but the order already in "Shipping Soon" status and says "This portion of your order is being prepared for shipment and cannot be canceled or changed." >_< bummer. Might try again tomorrow and hopefully get a different person who can help. Should I describe the coupon differently if I try again?

JdFoX187

Banned
AdawgDaFAB said:

I was going to cancel it and try running to best buy later today, but the order already in "Shipping Soon" status and says "This portion of your order is being prepared for shipment and cannot be canceled or changed." >_< bummer. Might try again tomorrow and hopefully get a different person who can help. Should I describe the coupon differently if I try again?
You might also just refuse delivery of the item. I've done that on several occassions and it's no problem, especially if you know your carrier.

AdawgDaFAB said:

You can always just return it once it arrives. Returning to Amazon is super easy.

FOOTE

Snaku said:
I'm so down for this. I simply adore the animation in the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, and I can't wait to see it in 1080p.
Yeah, it's just something that came to me last night, it's not a rumor(that I know of anyway) that is running around the internet. Seems logical to me though since it wont be a Diamond Edition, and it would/should be released at some point.

BertramCooper said:
The $10 off coupon for Bambi is ready.

Magic Code: 786936244175

Printing the coupon, it says Snow White, Pinnochio, and Fantasia/Fantasia 200 are all going back into the vault on 4/30/11. So for anyone who hasn't picked them up yet might want to do so soon.

Do people think they will release some of the older Pooh stuff or Piglet and Tigger movies when the new one is released?

Got my first son due in May and a lot of the stuff we have bought in clotheswise has Tigger on it and I'll want him to watch the real stuff not this new age Pooh on the Disney channel.

Shin Johnpv said:
Printing the coupon, it says Snow White, Pinnochio, and Fantasia/Fantasia 200 are all going back into the vault on 4/30/11. So for anyone who hasn't picked them up yet might want to do so soon.
Is anything in the vault already? I wish I could own all of those but ATM I can only afford Fantasia.

JdFoX187

Banned
ChoklitReign said:
Is anything in the vault already? I wish I could own all of those but ATM I can only afford Fantasia.
Nothing yet. But even if they do go into the vault, you can still buy them off eBay and other sites. Will be more expensive, but it's not like they'll completely disappear off the face of the planet.

isny

napkin dispenser
AdawgDaFAB said:

This guy was an idiot. I don't think he knows who Disney even is. You may be best to try again, or call them an explain over the phone on a weekday during 9-5 business hours when they'll have an American and not an outsourced rep.

JdFoX187 said:
Nothing yet. But even if they do go into the vault, you can still buy them off eBay and other sites. Will be more expensive, but it's not like they'll completely disappear off the face of the planet.

Pretty sure Sleeping Beauty is vaulted. None of the stores I know of are getting new stock, all that's left is what's remaining. Wall-E three disc is also no longer being shipped to retailers.

Shin Johnpv said:
Wow, I wasn't expecting Fantasia to go back in quite so quickly.

It's only been out for a few months.

isny said:
This guy was an idiot. I don't think he knows who Disney even is. You may be best to try again, or call them an explain over the phone on a weekday during 9-5 business hours when they'll have an American and not an outsourced rep.

Alright, well I will try again tomorrow then. Should I change around my description of the coupon at all or, if asked, just give them the link and the same description I told the guy this morning?

isny

napkin dispenser
AdawgDaFAB said:
Alright, well I will try again tomorrow then. Should I change around my description of the coupon at all or, if asked, just give them the link and the same description I told the guy this morning?

What you did sounded fine. Instead of saying it's a "Disney" coupon, maybe say "Manufacturer Coupon"? From the way you mention he reacted to it, it sounds like he thinks Disney is another retail store, or that it can only be used at Disney stores.

Christopher

What do you guys think of 3D blu rays...I alwasy think if I should get the standard blu's or the big packs of 3D Disney Blus

B.K.

I wonder if they'll ever release The Sword in the Stone on Blu-Ray. That was one of my favorites when I was a kid.

FOOTE

Christopher said:
What do you guys think of 3D blu rays...I alwasy think if I should get the standard blu's or the big packs of 3D Disney Blus
I'm not a fan, but if others want their classics in 3D that's cool. As long as I have an option to get my 2D BD without paying more for the 3D set that is.

icarus-daedelus said:
The lengths that you guys will go to in order to avoid paying $10 extra for a film are kind of amazing.
In all honesty, getting some of these deals is kind of fun.

The Princess and the Frog/Toy Story/Toy Story 2 deal at Toys R Us last year was the best thing ever. I got all three movies on Blu-Ray for less than $10. It was insane.

B.K. said:
I wonder if they'll ever release The Sword in the Stone on Blu-Ray. That was one of my favorites when I was a kid.
In a couple of years, I'm sure they'll release some of their less popular films on Blu-ray. But I wouldn't expect them to be as lovingly remastered and fully featured as the big guns.

Nemesis_

Success! Even though my order shipped, they issued me with a refund!

I've issued you a $10.00 promotional certificate, which you can use the next time you order an item shipped and sold by Amazon.com. You'll see your available promotional balance at checkout--this amount will be applied to your next order automatically without entering a claim code. Your promotional balance doesn't appear in Your Account but will always display when you place an order. For more information about using your promotional certificate, including the terms and conditions for using the certificate, visit our Help pages:

Bambi here I come!

Also, just out of interest, which Disney movies are proper HD/Widescreen? Beauty and the Beast appears to be. I hear that Snow White and Alice In Wonderland are not?

Nemesis556 said:
Also, just out of interest, which Disney movies are proper HD/Widescreen? Beauty and the Beast appears to be. I hear that Snow White and Alice In Wonderland are not?
All of the early stuff is fullscreen.

IIRC, Lady and the Tramp was the first widescreen Disney film. And even then, they went back to fullscreen quite a few times after that.

In fact, there was a fair amount of controversy over the DVD release of The Jungle Book a few years ago. The film was done in 4:3, but Disney chopped off the tops of the frames to do it in a faux-widescreen for the DVD. Purists were outraged, and understandably so. I didn't buy it for that very reason.

BertramCooper said:
All of the early stuff is fullscreen.

IIRC, Lady and the Tramp was the first widescreen Disney film. And even then, they went back to fullscreen quite a few times after that.

In fact, there was a fair amount of controversy over the DVD release of The Jungle Book a few years ago. The film was done in 4:3, but Disney chopped off the tops of the frames to do it in a faux-widescreen for the DVD. Purists were outraged, and understandably so. I didn't buy it for that very reason.

It shouldn't be said as just purists, the picture was absolute shit. They literally chopped off the heads of characers like the 3 vultures. It's one thing to make it widescreen, it's a whole other thing to have characters missing heads due to your shitty cropping.

isny

napkin dispenser
Nemesis556 said:

Bambi here I come!

Glad everything worked out for you =)

Nemesis556 said:

Bambi here I come!

Wait, are you talking about alice or bambi they refunded? I'm assuming alice?

Nemesis_

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Wait, are you talking about alice or bambi they refunded? I'm assuming alice?

Alice.

I doubt I could go back and ask to use the $10 off coupon for Bambi, THEN use my refunded $10 for Alice, could I? >_>

So, guys, would Lion King/Aladdin be in fullscreen when they get released?

Is Aladdin ever going to get a HD release? =(

Nemesis556 said:
Alice.

I doubt I could go back and ask to use the $10 off coupon for Bambi, THEN use my refunded $10 for Alice, could I? >_>

I doubt Aladdin wouldn't get an HD release at some point. You guys are worrying too much for tech that is still pretty new and they've only released a handful thus far.

Nemesis556 said:
Absolutely. It's just hard to say when, exactly.

All of Disney's most successful animated films will get the full Blu-ray treatment. It's the more obscure stuff like The Black Cauldron that will probably take a while.

isny

napkin dispenser
Nemesis556 said:
Alice.

Lion King and Aladdin were both widescreen. (All of the theatrical ones from the 90's were)

We'll probably see both of those next year.

What I'd suggest for Bambi is to use the following link, order two titles, you'll get $10 off between then two, and then another $10 for your certificate.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1281784122&pf_rd_i=300381

Nemesis_

BertramCooper said:
Absolutely. It's just hard to say when, exactly.

All of Disney's most successful animated films will get the full Blu-ray treatment. It's the more obscure stuff like The Black Cauldron that will probably take a while.

Oh, right. I remember reading somewhere that Aladdin wasn't included in the new Diamond Editions or something and as such wouldn't get a HD release.

I admiteddly thought it sounded stupid, and glad I looked around. =P

Nemesis556 said:

Bambi here I come!

How did your conversation go? I'm going to try again tomorrow afternoon.

Nemesis556 said:
Oh, right. I remember reading somewhere that Aladdin wasn't included in the new Diamond Editions or something and as such wouldn't get a HD release.

I admiteddly thought it sounded stupid, and glad I looked around. =P

AFAIK Dumbo and Aladdin are getting Special Edition releases instead of being part of the Diamond Edition. Dumbo = Sometime this month (not sure when) and Aladdin = 2012. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this.

FOOTE

Well, neither of those are getting Diamond releases, you're right. We don't have any idea when they are coming out to Blu-ray though.

isny

napkin dispenser
AdawgDaFAB said:

AFAIK Dumbo and Aladdin are getting Special Edition releases instead of being part of the Diamond Edition. Dumbo = Sometime this month (not sure when) and Aladdin = 2012. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this.

The most up to date Dumbo info from the booklet included with Fantasia.

P1080400.jpg

Also looks like Cars is being re-released in a combo pack. (Blu+DVD)

05049_BoxArtReflection_176_CarsBDCombo.png

Nemesis_

AdawgDaFAB said:

Basically I told him that I purchased it, then noticed that the promotion was still running. Then he mentioned that I could not redeem the promotion outside of the promotional period to which I said "Yeah, but it's still within the period" and then there was awkward silence.

Then I mentioned (to break the silence) that all I wanted was a credit that I could put towards MORE BLU-RAYS from AMAZON, I didn't want a refund or anything.

He asked me for the coupon code, which I didn't give because I had stepped away from the computer. Then, all of a sudden, he told me I have the promo cert on my account and if there was anything else he would be able to help me with, to just ask.

It was pretty easy and I didn't need to provide proof either. >_>

Mr. Wonderful said:
Can't stand when people abbreviate to "High Def."

Any word on Cinderella's release?
Nothing official, from what I've read.

Based on the order of the Diamond Editions, I'd guess late 2012.

Bii

isny said:
Also looks like Cars is being re-released in a combo pack. (Blu+DVD)

05049_BoxArtReflection_176_CarsBDCombo.png

That's fantastic. I was wondering why there weren't any new copies of Cars (Blu-Ray) on Amazon just a week ago. Looks like I'll wait for this combo pack.

Magnus

Ugh. The Alice coupon expires tomorrow? I don't have a printer nor access to a place that does that can also let me install this ridiculous Disney printing software on their computers.

That means I can only grab Alice for a full $30. Terrible.

In other news...
Enchanted is being re-released this week in a new package?

isny

napkin dispenser
Magnus said:
Ugh. The Alice coupon expires tomorrow? I don't have a printer nor access to a place that does that can also let me install this ridiculous Disney printing software on their computers.

That means I can only grab Alice for a full $30. Terrible.

In other news...
Enchanted is being re-released this week in a new package?

Look at my posts on the previous page on how to order from Amazon.com and still use a coupon =)

Top Bottom