• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division 2 has died

Strider311

I think my biggest problem with both Division 2 and Breakpoint, and why my drive to bother playing them has died, is over-saturation with both loot shooters and open world games. I’d like to see Ubi take some of their franchises to a linear, focused design again. Including stuff that has never been anything other than open world, such as Division and Assassin’s Creed. That’s just me though.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think my biggest problem with both Division 2 and Breakpoint, and why my drive to bother playing them has died, is over-saturation with both loot shooters and open world games. I’d like to see Ubi take some of their franchises to a linear, focused design again. Including stuff that has never been anything other than open world, such as Division and Assassin’s Creed. That’s just me though.
Every UBI game seems the same.... well, OK... you can exclude Just Dance and RS Siege.

But all their big multi game franchises lately:

- AC
- Farcry
- RS Wildlands/Breakpoint
- Division
- Watch Dogs
- The Crew

It's like almost all their games have this base open world template with shit tons of HUD and icon markers on screen, and they reskin the map. Some are shooters, one's a racer, the other slower paced action games.

I guess they are going for the Bethesda approach of making games big and open world (ES and FO games), and hopefully legions of fans will stick to them for years.

Gp1

i played a hundred + hours of the first game too, and on top of everything that you guys said. D2 art is awful.
They choose to put the fluorescent green/pink farcry new dawn haze/ink everywhere.

Last edited:
F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Ubi is on a losing streak. I hope the new Watchdogs turns out well.
Good luck with that. The first two Watchdogs stunk.
And from what I've seen of the third installment I expect it to be an even bigger flop than the previous Watchdog games.

Kagey K

Banned
I was really into Division 1 and all jacked for Division 2, but when I started playing it it just felt off. I’m sure someday after lots of patches and content drops I’ll go back to it, but everything just felt like a chore.

Hopefully they decide to continue improving it, instead of just dropping it completely.

Ichabod

Banned
Sorry to bump an older thread but I didnt feel like making a new thread just to ask:
1) Is this game worth $15 for someone who loves looter shooters?
2) How is the endgame these days?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The snowy Christmasy New York was never gonna be out done.
But people would have complained if they redid the same location.
Maybe keep the Winter Christmas vibe but in a different city or the other half of New York

dilbag

they should of added cross play to help keep pop up.... but yeah I feel like most people dropped this one pretty fast. Feels like this game just needed more.

Aion002

The present Ubisoft sucks.

On PS360 I bought all Ubi games, they tried a bunch of stuff and most of time it was good or great, like RUSE, Hawx or the Assassin's Creed series....
But after AC Black Flag Ubi has become an empty shell of her former self... Every game they made, with the exception of Siege and For Honor, is the same.

Even a fucking racing game reminds of the Assassin's Creed template....

I finished all AC games on the ps3.... But these days I simply can't even force myself to finish the main story of Ac Syndicate or Odyssey and even Watch Dogs or The Crew... So predictable, so repetitive, so boring...

And The Division 2 is the same crap... Even Anthem is more fun.

NickFire

I was all-in on Div2 at launch, after about 70 hours it was clear only certain builds were viable. I was big in electronics/skill power build in Div1 and it felt useless in Div2 so I have up. Tying everything to mods only for skills was a huge mistake IMO
I blame you for convincing me to buy this game. Bad Chunk, bad.

xrnzaaas

The snowy Christmasy New York was never gonna be out done.
But people would have complained if they redid the same location.
Maybe keep the Winter Christmas vibe but in a different city or the other half of New York
I don't know, I wouldn't mind myself. New York is so big and they've covered such a small part of the city there was definitely potential for more.

Kagero

I love both games, but for some reason the second one didn’t hook me. Maybe it was the environment. Maybe it was the fact that it was too samey. I don’t know 🤷‍♂️

Dr.Morris79

I don't know, I wouldn't mind myself. New York is so big and they've covered such a small part of the city there was definitely potential for more.
Yep. I want more New York, in the snow! I couldnt get enough of it. I played the second until completion but I didnt find it as good, mainly due to the location.

bilderberg

rpg/loot based shooters just make zero sense to me in a modern/realistic context. I just can't suspend my disbelief enough to the point where it makes sense that these knee pads are going to give me +7 defense and +2 skill points, or that this 9mm pistol can now finish a guy in only 9 headshots as opposed to 14.

Last edited:

iBeastSlayer-

Neo Member
I got The Division Gold Edition and The Division 2 Gold Edition and my god... TD1 is sooooo much better.

The work made by Massive / Ubisoft is unacceptable. Hope for them they got some great content to share in Year 2.

NeatoB1

I stopped playing this game a while ago it's just not fun anymore and then on top of that the really hardcore guys have all the really good stuff and I'm not geared up enough to even do the raids I'm just not that person in this game

Imagine this setting for a sequel. I wouldn't mind if they do seasons though.

22829808_1270431179778801_4752942752950900011_o.jpg

rpg/loot based shooters just make zero sense to me in a modern/realistic context. I just can't suspend my disbelief enough to the point where it makes sense that these knee pads are going to give me +7 defense and +2 skill points, or that this 9mm pistol can now finish a guy in only 9 headshots as opposed to 14.
That's how I felt at first. You get used to it as you do with anything.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Imagine this setting for a sequel. I wouldn't mind if they do seasons though.

22829808_1270431179778801_4752942752950900011_o.jpg

That's how I felt at first. You get used to it as you do with anything.
The sequel could be set in my hometown and i still wouldnt buy it at this point. The gameplay is just so-so at best and the enemies are dumb ai with bullet sponge mechanics.

Grinchy

Banned
I started playing this a week or two ago with a buddy. We play for an hour or 2 here and there. We're around level 22 now.

The actual shooting mechanics feel like Socom to me so that part has been satisfying. The game has a big list of problems, but it's fun for what it is. I'd be extremely disappointed at $60, but he bought my copy so it's pretty easily worth $0.

VertigoOA

Banned
I wonder if Ubisoft plans to make an effort to keep it going like the first game. There was a turnaround at some point to keep the long-game going with the original. Division 2 hasn’t returned to the charts.

It does seem like they’ve moved onto supporting ghost recon instead as it’s actually retaining some kind of playerbase; altho that’s also on its way to crater it’s playerbase as well.

I have no doubt whatsoever that Ghost Recon doing the looter shooter, co-op raid endgame loop route cannibalized Division 2 entirely.

Fallout 76 ended up being successful over Division 2, Ghost Recon breakpoint and Anthem. Like significantly more successful with player retention.

In other news... Halo Reach has 15k players on steam today and Halo 5 is ranked 41st on Xbox charts whereas MCC dropped out.

Last edited:
I dig Division 2, but it's never been the primary game I would play. I've always used it as a pallet cleanser of sorts/side piece.

The major downside is match making is pretty impossible because I'm in a weird spot where I'm too high of a level to match with the newer players but not gangster enough to match with the people that play regularly.

It's all good though, I like to play the game in spurts, it's a really good chill out/listen to a podcast kind of game

ZombieTech

Neo Member
Fallout 76 is complete garbage, but hey people like to play garbage like Ark, Rust, DayZ and now apparantly Fallout 76.

What a bunch of abominations.
Hey, I resent that!

I mean Ark... erm, uh, devs scam and rip-off customers to pay legal bills.

But then Rust...... hrm, uhm, actually everybody starts game butt naked, and first go of it called for lots of Tylenol.

Okay, okay, okay, but bruh... BRUH... DayZ, come on bruh... leeching our money through Arma 2, Arma 3, AND Standalone while dev can never figure out which will be primary focus, hrm, oh wait...

And well Fallout 76 missed it's monicker completely by the Lucky-7 (69), and speaks volumes quite ear-piercly on its own.

Well, fuck it, yer' right, that whole list is shite! :messenger_beaming:

#KindlyDisregard

ZombieTech

Neo Member
I don't play Ubisoft games anymore. Their games are repetitive to the nth degree.
I swear Ubisoft done went and gone full retard.

There was a point that I absolutely loved their games -- Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs, The Crew, Ghost Recon, The Division, etc.

Then they went and fucked it up to where everything is either nonsense, shallow, or hardcore -- AC newer games nonsensically take place before assassins guild even existed, Watch Dogs 2 is a shallow theme park with very little pushing motivation, Crew 2 turned out to be nonsense rubbish, Ghost Recon Wildlands was another shallow theme park, Division 2 is okay but bulletsponging being fixed was nonsense bullshit.

That space game Starlink was okay, and I'm still looking forward to Watch Dogs Legion, but anything else Ubi I'm pretty much done and over with. :p

Last edited:

NBNW13

Neo Member
This is clearly a preference thing because I thought the DC setting was phenomenal. DC is one of the more underrated cities on the planet with a ridiculous amount of stuff to see, and I enjoyed seeing it realized in digital form. I did get bored faster with TD2, but that’s because it felt so much like something I’d done previously. It’s kinda why I spent more time with Origins than Odyssey even with the “improvements” made in the latter. It just felt like old hat after I’d spent that much time with its spiritual predecessor.

Top Bottom