• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division 2 Is Ditching Steam For The Epic Games Store On PC

thief183

I’m not a pc gamer so I don’t really understand all the hate towards Epic Store.

Competition should be a good thing?

I’ve just had a look and the store looks sooo much nicer on the surface. Steam is so dated and ugly, you can tell they have no competition to worry about.

I don’t get it?!

New PC gamers are a bounch of entitled crybabies.

sol_bad

CuNi

So Ubisoft does not even see epic as a competition because they are confident that more people will come to Uplay that way... Haha that's a statement.

Azurro

Banned
A how long until companies start to actually show real sales data? Without any actual numbers they can just bullshit about anything and say everything is great.

6 times higher on Ubi store because you can't purchase it on Steam. Higher pre purchase rate on PC but where the numbers for comparison? The numbers can't come direct from the publisher either.

Did you read the article before getting angry? The comparison is really simple, they are saying the pre order numbers of the division 2 PC are higher than the pre order numbers for the prequel on PC. I am assuming the Division 1 was able to be pre ordered on Steam as well, so I don't know why you are raging.

Steam fanboys are one of the most puzzling thing on the Internet.

sol_bad

Did you read the article before getting angry? The comparison is really simple, they are saying the pre order numbers of the division 2 PC are higher than the pre order numbers for the prequel on PC. I am assuming the Division 1 was able to be pre ordered on Steam as well, so I don't know why you are raging.

Steam fanboys are one of the most puzzling thing on the Internet.

I'm not angry, I just think these statements are pointless if they aren't going to provide any hard data. Show us the real sales numbers of both games.

So... Why are people upset at this? I'm not getting it. The Epic Games Launcher works fine.
Several reasons, but for me, it is mostly because it's:
  • another piece of software I'm forced to install
  • another account I have to create and manage
  • another process running in the background on my computer, eating up resources
I don't want to, say 10 years down the road, have to deal with a couple dozen different launchers for my game library, each with their own quirks, requirements and drawbacks. It's not so much the Epic launcher itself, but rather what it represents for the future.

bati

3d4901ea29b31f60171c35bdba993263f66cdfde_2_690x466.png

5f133ce7867e822b12049b8769b94769277b53e8.jpeg

Arachnid

Several reasons, but for me, it is mostly because it's:
  • another piece of software I'm forced to install
  • another account I have to create and manage
  • another process running in the background on my computer, eating up resources
I don't want to, say 10 years down the road, have to deal with a couple dozen different launchers for my game library, each with their own quirks, requirements and drawbacks. It's not so much the Epic launcher itself, but rather what it represents for the future.
This puts it into words perfectly. It's not the single launcher that's the problem. For games like this and Metro, I'll just wait for the steam launch a year later and probably an eventual 10 dollar sale. People always say to vote with your wallet, but when you do you get condemned by the other side for it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
doesn't make any difference to me.

no matter whether i buy it on epic or steam i still gotta use uPlay.

i ain't going through steam/epic. i'll just buy it straight from ubisoft.

scalman

same here no difference they can go where they want with game i dont care i will take it where it will be. steam for me means nothing.

This is such an odd (and expensive) way for Epic to try to build awareness. This is going to cost a fortune if they keep this up. I realize Tencent has more money than it knows what to do with, but this still makes me cringe - I’m all about being a good steward of the money a business collects.

It will be interesting to see how long they pursue this path...

scalman

epic not pursue anything, just devs going where is better for them. sadly it seems that people dont wanna devs go where is better for them and with that games wil suffer , in the end you will get even less PC versions now. so yes you played yourselfs i guess.

epic not pursue anything, just devs going where is better for them. sadly it seems that people dont wanna devs go where is better for them and with that games wil suffer , in the end you will get even less PC versions now. so yes you played yourselfs i guess.

Oh, you don't think there is payola and sales coverage guarantees at play here? The cynic in me says that is still what's happening, not just companies being wooed by the lower cut. At some point, once Epic store gets traction, I think that simply the lower cut will cause people to go there, but right now, Epic/Tencent is in full on "spend to make it happen" mode.

That said, I'm not one of those weirdos that hates launchers, so when a game I want comes out and is exclusive to Epic, I'll buy it there. I personally don't care as a consumer, but find It fascinating from a business perspective.

Then, you all shouldn't have just accepted to be forced to install steam to play games.

Too late now.

I've honestly never understood the "launcher" argument. Maybe they're all young, but what would they have done when you had to launch each game independently by clicking on the mass of shortcuts on a desktop? Or even better, when you had to... LOAD "GAME" ,8,1? :messenger_winking:

Top Bottom