• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division 2 |OT| Open Beta (1st-4th Mar)

scalman

In dx12 i cant even play it laging freezing and such where dx11 same places runs ok. But then its laptop with slower gtx1060 so maybe thats issue, and tgat i7 7700hq not have very high clock or maybe 8gb ram making issues, not sure . i can make all settings ultra or almost ultra and then high and it makes no diff in fps almost so im just keeping all ultra just shadows and fog lower. Anyone knows what video setting eats most fps?

cormack12

Gold Member
Still waiting for this to come back on. I've done the first story mission - can't see where to pick up the second. Also, some of those side missions are tough when the elite shows up. Like there's no way to solo it and I just get downed. Is this the experience everyone is having? I'm finding the requirement of needing to flank quickly battling against the heavy animation difficult to get behind them. Maybe I just suck ass generally

I can't get to grips with the drone as well. Am I only meant to deploy it from high places?

scalman

Still waiting for this to come back on. I've done the first story mission - can't see where to pick up the second. Also, some of those side missions are tough when the elite shows up. Like there's no way to solo it and I just get downed. Is this the experience everyone is having? I'm finding the requirement of needing to flank quickly battling against the heavy animation difficult to get behind them. Maybe I just suck ass generally

I can't get to grips with the drone as well. Am I only meant to deploy it from high places?
yes its hard againsta those elites but i beat them solo before , very important to make some distance ball bomb not fire bomb that other that seeks enemies and blows on them, those helps very well against elites. and then weapons, assault rifles with fastest shooting and good accuracy helps a lot, i picked wrong weapons now and im having hard times now too but i know where i made mistakes.

cormack12

Gold Member
Have you tried taking cover ? :)
Slow and steady win the race.

tumblr_inline_mvuciwG0UF1rhignx.gif

Yeah the hyena's aren't a problem. I'll be honest I don't pay much attention - what's the Bane juice they seem to inject themselves with? Before getting angried up?

It's purely the elites, I don't think the mobility is great and you get hit a lot moving between cover. But you get overwhelmed stop 'n' popping. I might be trying to do too much alone. I's easier when using the flare gun obviously but then you don't get the loot.

scalman

Just use seeker ball bomb on elites and fast firing asault rifle i win on all them that way. Even with just rifle i can shoot them to peaces with time. Not moving much just move away when they drop bombs on you .
For me most important find good cover spot so they couldnt go behind you . its lots strategy involved not just dumb shooting

Freeman76

Not much they can do with the bullet sponges. If they drop like normal enemies there aint much point to calling them bosses. Improving their AI would be a good call but probably not possible for whatever reason. They have no choice, and nobody has any viable alternative suggestions either.

The new foam chem launcher actually works against bosses. You can use it to get away or get their armor offer.

Found it a little tricky to use at first, but a lot of fun as I'm getting the hang of it. Still need to try the other chem launcher option.

So here's my early impressions:

The good
  • Gameplay is tight. Weapon controls and player movement are great, also I noticed the character moves way slower now.
  • Weapons and gear in general are actually usable now. You don't have to choose between two or three of them to be able to proceed in the game. This is a huge change from the previous game (at least in the early days)
  • Content. This thing feels like the first game multiplied by 100. Huge. Both in the LZ and in the DZ.
  • Graphics are pretty damn good (and I'm playing on XBone vanilla!)
The bad
  • Invisible wall in a mission which won't let you through. Some people don't have this problem, some do. Weird.
  • Sound glitching. Like, every time I played. Had to leave session and/or restart the console to fix it.
  • Using skills take a loooot of time. Sometimes this makes using them actually a bad idea.
  • Joined another group once and the game kept freezing for 2 seconds every 5 seconds. Made it unplayable.
  • A lot of the UI seems like they just copy/pasted from the first game. Even the fast travel icon is the same. Come on...

All in all I'm loving it, but they need to fix those things asap.

Pwlt

Neo Member
My problem is that the atmosphere just doesn't pull you in like the atmosphere in The Division 1 did. It's nowhere close. Even if the graphics are improved, The Division 1 somehow looks better just because cold NY oozed atmosphere, and this looks generic.

To make it worse, the story and feel don't seem help in this regard either.

scalman

I dont remember any smoke like that in d1 on ps4 pro at least, then lots dust and other particles that now better and foggy cloudy weather looks just amazing. Time of day changes faster i think from day to evening and night didint remember that happen so often in D1. I see many improvements here that i like more, UI and all upgrade menu looks better , looting is faster i think. I can loot bags and boxes by just running pass them dont even need to stop. Upgrading bases is new thing will be cool to donate some of your loot there to get bonuses. Cant wait to play full game though didint bought it yet but i will for sure.

Last edited:

TimFL

When do the rewards for playing the betas unlock? I check the Rewards tab for Division 2 on my UPlay connect app and they're all locked for me, although I did what they tell me to do (e.g. "participate in the open beta"). There's also a plain shirt you unlock by logging onto the official website, which doesn't work outside of the US it seems (nice one Ubisoft).

To me it just plays like a slightly improved version of The Divison, which is fine for me. I like the setting. I’m sure snow will appear either in events or seasonally, or in instances areas/events.

Movement, gunplay, and looting feels great or at least better than Divison. I played Div1 for about 300 hours and that was all in the first couple months (I was addicted) and never even played a lot of the stuff they added to it, so if that stuff/amount of content is there in Div2 early on I’ll be set for a long time with this baby

Can’t decide between MnK or gamepad. I usually go gamepad for this type of game but there is PvP involved unlike Anthem.

bucyou

i played for like 45 minutes last night, reminded me of the division which isnt a bad thing.

Can anyone confirm you get to try the "new dark zone" in the beta or nah?

i played for like 45 minutes last night, reminded me of the division which isnt a bad thing.

Yes. One of the dark zones is available. There is also a non-PvP DZ tutorial mission.

scalman

Yes you will go to one of dark zones and try it. And its larger then before and cooler. Idont pvp at all but i found no prob play in it solo helping others against hard enemies or reviving couple fallen agents. If all would play there like that would be amazing DZ

Last edited:
What I remember from DZ experience in Div1 is there was a time when hardly anyone tries to gank you, then once people got bored/or maybe a change was made ganking became regular.

Am I misremembering?

I like the DZ concept, always have. Always seemed like an interesting concept to balance as far as risk/reward

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The game plays and feels pretty much like the first. There are positive tweaks for sure, but it's not doing anything new which is disappointing. Visually it looks flat, I guess I was expecting more.

Also, what is going on with the character generator in regards to females? Why do they all look trailer park butch?

Meccs

I had to stop playing because I am having too much fun at the moment and I need to keep it fresh. Release can't come soon enough.
Do you guys plan on playing the story solo or with matchmaking? I feel like exploring and playing at my own pace is more fun but playing coop is fun too...

Last edited:
I had to stop playing because I am having too much fun at the moment and I need to keep it fresh. Release can't come soon enough.
Do you guys plan on playing the story solo or with matchmaking? I feel like exploring and playing at my own pace is more fun but playing coop is fun too...

I played the first one with friends, in a group chat. We took it slow and explored, platinum’d the game together.

I’ll probabky have to play with matchmaking this time around but I’ll still take my time. Hoping a GAF clan is made

Well, you know the way Division is, you can really explore at your own pace and then just matchmake for the missions.

What I remember from DZ experience in Div1 is there was a time when hardly anyone tries to gank you, then once people got bored/or maybe a change was made ganking became regular.

Am I misremembering?

I like the DZ concept, always have. Always seemed like an interesting concept to balance as far as risk/reward

It definitely got worse over time in my experience I think because DZ became less important for loot and so the concentration of PvE-oriented players was lower.

sendit

Anyone else feel like this should have been an expansion to The Division. Other than the location, this is the exact same game......Wondering if Ubisoft made a marketing decision to how The Devision was received regarding the dark zone area and just wanted to separate this from the first game.

Last edited:

scalman

yes expansion size as full game because map is maybe even bigger .. anybody made ever expansions like that ? how you imagine expansions this size really ? then all new games last month should be just expansions, dirt 2.0 , far cry ... they asll same just little better

Wow yeah switching to DX12 with my 1070ti seems to give me a decent boost. 1440p mix of high/very high/ultra settomgs (reflections on medium) and I seem to get around 40-60fps range with DX11, 50-70 range with DX12, might turn up one or two high's to ultra's. Feels great.

I wish this came out sooner. I feel like I may have hit a wall with Anthem sooner than I anticipated

The first couple games I tried DX12 on when I upgraded to the 1070ti ran worse, so I never tried it again. Guess that was ironed out?

Last edited:
Wow yeah switching to DX12 with my 1070ti seems to give me a decent boost. 1440p mix of high/very high/ultra settomgs (reflections on medium) and I seem to get around 40-60fps range with DX11, 50-70 range with DX12, might turn up one or two high's to ultra's. Feels great.

I wish this came out sooner. I feel like I may have hit a wall with Anthem sooner than I anticipated

The first couple games I tried DX12 on when I upgraded to the 1070ti ran worse, so I never tried it again. Guess that was ironed out?

Ooh. Will give it a shot.

Yeah. I hit a wall with Anthem too. I kind of was waiting to upgrade my card when I get a new monitor.

But I may bite sooner. I like ultrawide so still playing at 1080p but itching for 1440p.

Winter John

Gold Member
I can't play this for more than 15 minutes without losing the will to live. Tried it 4 or 5 times now and it's some vanilla bullshit. Go there, open luggage, shoot some faceless assholes, open luggage, go somewhere else, open luggage, listen to some fuckin guy yappin on about whatever, open luggage, shoot some guy hidin behind a bin then open more luggage.

I can't play this for more than 15 minutes without losing the will to live. Tried it 4 or 5 times now and it's some vanilla bullshit. Go there, open luggage, shoot some faceless assholes, open luggage, go somewhere else, open luggage, listen to some fuckin guy yappin on about whatever, open luggage, shoot some guy hidin behind a bin then open more luggage.

Luggage is as luggage does, my man.

giphy.gif

Starhowl

I was shocked to find just now that the ultimate edition, which would be the cheapest bundle with a year-1-pass included (implying you'll have to buy another year-2-pass later.. @.@..) will cost us a mere $120.. Aside from that, leaving out some refreshing soundtrack-parts, the game makes an inferior impression to the first one, not to mention that it's creating the impression of an expansion to the first installment.

scalman

ohh that graphic is nice. maybe its fire alarm. or roof broke down. or just video game. stuff happens in video games as we know they not real.

Verdanth

Is this open beta version the same as the private beta? The game looks way more clean to me.

There's still some texture loading issues though.

Last edited:

scalman

as someone who didint read whats new in open beta after private beta i cant see much changes really. not that i would like notice . but its beta so they still changing it sure. just they left only 2 weeks to make it finished.
i like weather in this . night with heavy rain and you cant see almost nothing but still go for walking ...its amazing feeling or heavy fog in late evening again so dark. some times its really just too dark in streets to walk ... fighting at night looks amazing though, you see just muzles from guns nothing else... its even romantic

Last edited:
The game plays and feels pretty much like the first. There are positive tweaks for sure, but it's not doing anything new which is disappointing. Visually it looks flat, I guess I was expecting more.

Also, what is going on with the character generator in regards to females? Why do they all look trailer park butch?

Good looking feminine characters may be problematic these days.

Stuart360

Damn it, you guys going on about all the content in the beta. I was going to skip it because i put about 15 hours into the private beta, it looks like i'm going to end up downloading it again lol.

Damn it, you guys going on about all the content in the beta. I was going to skip it because i put about 15 hours into the private beta, it looks like i'm going to end up downloading it again lol.

Well, you've seen most of it from private beta, but there is an extra mission as well as additional echos and whatnot.

Top Bottom