• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division PC performance thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

(Click for general game info.)

System requirements:
thedivisionsysreqsgprk9.jpg

Latest drivers: (as at 21/12/2017)
Nvidia: 388.71
AMD: 17.12.2
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update utility

Benchmarks:
Computer Base (German; DX11; launch build)
Computer Base (German; DX11 and DX12; 14/12/2016 build)
GameGPU (Russian; DX11; launch build)
Gamestar (German; DX11; launch build)
Guru3D (English; DX11; launch build)
PC Games Hardware (German; DX11; launch build)
PC Games Hardware (German; DX11 and DX12; 11/11/2016 PTS build)
PC Lab (Polish; DX11; launch build)

Tips and tricks:
Benchmarks (NV), settings comparisons, and recommended settings (NV): See Nvidia's tweak guide. (Credit to AndyBNV.)
Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU have the option of Nvidia Inspector, which can also be used to impose a framerate cap, either in a similar manner to RTSS or by way of forcing a different vsync interval (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService.
Bypass the black screen issue: Hitting Alt-Enter may work. (Credit to Balmung421.) If not, hit Alt-F4 and launch the game again; repeat, if necessary, until you get lucky. (Credit to Garuda1One.)
Fix mouse input issues after exiting the game: Uninstall and block Windows Updates KB3140743 and KB3140768 -- see this post for instructions (Credit to TheChewyWaffles and Wallach.)

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics settings:

Graphics quality (presets): Low; Medium; High; Ultra; Custom
Vsync: Off; On; Auto
Frame rate limit: Off; 30fps; 60fps; 120fps
Shadow quality: Low; High; Nvidia PCSS; Nvidia HFTS
Shadow resolution: Low; Medium; High
Spot shadow count: Low; Medium; High
Spot shadow resolution: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Contact shadows: Off; Sun low; All low; All high
Post FX AA: Off; SMAA 1x low; SMAA 1x medium; SMAA 1x high; SMAA 1x ultra

Temporal AA: Stabilisation; Supersampling
Resolution scale: 50%; 75%; 85%; 100%; 200%
Sharpen image: 0-100% in 1% increments
Particle detail: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Enable wind-affected snow: Yes/No
Volumetric fog: Medium; High; Ultra
Reflection quality: Low; Medium; High
Local reflection quality: Off; Low; Medium; High; Very high
Sub-surface scattering: Yes/No

Anisotropic filtering: 1x; 2x; 4x; 8x; 16x
Parallax mapping: Off; Low; High
Ambient occlusion: Off; Low; Medium; High; Very high; Ultra; Nvidia HBAO+
Depth of field: Off; Medium; High
Object detail: 0-100% in 1% increments
Extra streaming distance: 0-100% in 1% increments
Chromatic aberration: Yes/No
Neutral lighting: Yes/No
Lens flare: Yes/No

Vignette effect: Yes/No

Performance is not as good as I hoped (I hope this is down to being beta)

i7-5930k
SLI 980s

At 1440p on the auto detect settings I get any where from 40-50 FPS average but it doesn't feel smooth at all.

If I crank the settings up I'm lucky to get 30 FPS.

SLI scaling says it's working (both cards are being used) but I almost consider it unplayable at the moment.

I am using (or trying to) use G-Sync, not sure if there are any issues with it at the moment.

Oddly enough I seem to get worse performance in Fullscreen vs Borderless.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't done rigorous testing but it runs well for me @1080p on Ultra settings with a 980Ti, 8 GB RAM and an i5 4460 (I know, it's a shit CPU). For some reason the game defaulted to 4k resolution which ran like garbage, as you'd expect. Really nice looking game apart from the HIDEOUS UI.

iNvid02

its hitting 1080/60 on a 980ti on ultra aside from pcss, vsync off and limited to 60

Haven't done rigorous testing but it runs well for me @1080p on Ultra settings with a 980Ti, 8 GB RAM and an i5 4460 (I know, it's a shit CPU). For some reason the game defaulted to 4k resolution which ran like garbage, as you'd expect. Really nice looking game apart from the HIDEOUS UI.

yeah it defaulted to 4k for me too, might be because i have dsr enabled in nv control panel

i dont mind the ui, but sometimes there is too much stuff happening on the screen

roughly 45 fps at 1440p all maxed. game looks solid, but nowhere near the earlier footage. on quick glance certainly not a revelatory improvement over the xbone footage weve seen. better shadows and AO via the gameworks features and better lod. and the usual 16x af

hoserx

roughly 45 fps at 1440p all maxed. game looks solid, but nowhere near the earlier footage. on quick glance certainly not a revelatory improvement over the xbone footage weve seen. better shadows and AO via the gameworks features and better lod. and the usual 16x af

what hardware?

hoserx

Performance is not as good as I hoped (I hope this is down to being beta)

i7-5930k
SLI 980s

At 1440p on the auto detect settings I get any where from 40-50 FPS average but it doesn't feel smooth at all.

If I crank the settings up I'm lucky to get 30 FPS.

SLI scaling says it's working (both cards are being used) but I almost consider it unplayable at the moment.

I am using (or trying to) use G-Sync, not sure if there are any issues with it at the moment.

Oddly enough I seem to get worse performance in Fullscreen vs Borderless.

are both of your cards pegging at 99% ? What is your cpu usage at during all of this?

are both of your cards pegging at 99% ? What is your cpu usage at during all of this?

Not at 99%, more in the 60-70% range on both cards. CPU usage was 20-30% across all 12 cores.

I have been doing some further testing. Did a complete uninstall of the 361.75 drivers via DDU (in safe mode) and then reinstalled. This vastly improved performance.

All testing done with the "Ultra" ingame preset (CA and Vignette Off) at 1440p on a 144hx G-Sync panel (G-Sync is enabled)

I first tested the game on a single GPU, all the stutter and sluggishness was gone, getting a pretty good framerate and GPU1 was pegged at 99% the entire time.

Enabled SLI, still getting good performance, both cards now in the high 80-90%. CPU usage seems to have gotten closer to 50% at times

I've found if I have the "Share" feature of GFE enabled (Shadowplay) I can't use my mouse in game and it seems more sluggish (though there does not appear to be a performance hit. Will need to test some more.

EDIT: The mouse not being usable is a game bug, not a GFE bug. I've had it happen several times with Share disabled

darthkarki

Anyone with a GTX 970 been able to find settings for a fairly solid 60fps? It seems like every settings change requires you to restart the game which is ridiculous, I don't have time to restart the game a thousand times to test out every setting, and even if I could that makes finding like-for-like scenarios much more difficult. I don't know what else may have changed behind the scenes that could impact framerate.

Any general ideas on which settings are the most demanding and can be turned down with minimal impact to visuals? Stuff like PCSS I'm obviously leaving off, but I don't know what the difference is between all the different AO methods either in performance or visuals, and the same with all the shadow settings.

Amazing graphical options. Shit.

Love the in game sharpening and different SMAA / Temporal options.

BTW, Temporal Anti-Aliasing with little sharpening is basically a lot like UE4 or Ryse style sub-pixel jitter accumulation AA. It will clear up almost the entire image at the cost of clarity and some elements may flicker occasionally as a bug.

Everything to th highest it can go @ 1080p is lowest 54 fps so far - highest 120. I think I will just lock it at 60 externally for consistency. This is with Shadowplay on, so that is cutting some FPS easily.

Check out that CPU scaling!
thedivision_2016_01_2djjt4.png

Makareu

I am actually pleased on how it runs.
1440p
4790k OC
970 OC
all settings on high + supersampling
45-60fps (GSync eating the variations)

That being said I didnt manage to deport the UI on my 2nd screen. When I activate the option, nothing happen and I cant drag anything.

Nokterian

Running on a I7-2600k,780GTX,Windows 10,16gig memory and runs pretty good so far a little spotty here and there but it looks great. Based massive <3 My guess just like World in Conflict this will run even better on release. Oh yeah the graphic options the UI,the keymapping at least they know how to make me a happy pc gamer.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
970 FTW SLI
16GB
W10.

Getting between 44-60 FPS @1140p with all settings maxed.

Have to do some more testing, when I switch the resolution to 4K it goes to like 3fps. But hen stays at low FPS after switching back.

The Wold Hunt used to do the same thing, so unsure if it is that or just the games true performance.

Either way. Game looks amazing.

Uber disappointed in the lack of GI though. Hoping Massive may add it back in at a later date.

Engell

running nice on my GTX 970 no issues at all, beyond the massive downgrade in the graphics compared to the early showings.
Will try to install it on my laptop with 765m and see how it runs on that

But unfortunately i am already kinda bored of this game... not really feeling it, but i will try to play a little more.
Also had the funny bug on first game start that my guns wouldn't fire, fixed by restarting the game

BigTnaples

I will take a look out for it. It may be still there in some capacity.

I went around hunting for it, looking specifically for lighting scenarios that would illicit that effect, and it was nowhere to be found. The lighting in all other aspects is still impressive though.

Just look at any white spotlight shining directly onto a red/yellow/blue/green surface, you will notice there is no light bounce at all, and the light remains white over the entire area.

Unless they use it only in specific instances. Someone said the GI was still present in the beta tutorial video at the beginning. Which means they had it running relatively recently? So maybe there is hope.

On a different note. Some of the settings seem to be bugged. I was playing at 1440p with no issues and high frames earlier. 4K would give me suddenly 0-3FPS. Which did not make much sense. Other times it would give me 22fps. (Same scene).

Then, when bumping down all the way to 1080p, the framerate stayed in the 20's.

Going to reboot and see if that helps.

atr0cious

I can't even get the game to start up. It continues to crash and bring me back to the uplay app. I've got a decent 860m laptop that lets me play just about any other game. Verified my files as well.

bathsalts

980ti with 1500Mhz OC on it,
4770k @ 4.5
1440p
Pretty smooth so far

Anyone with gsync try to get into the 85 fps range with good results?

RedRumy3

So far everything max settings @ 2560x1440 I get between 40-60 fps.

Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Cpu - Intel Core i5 4670K 4.6Ghz 1.26v
Ram - Corsair 24GB DDR3-1600
Gpu - Evga GTX 980 4GB +200Mhz Core / +500Mhz Memory OC
Monitor - Asus Rog PG279Q 165Hz G-Sync IPS

So far my experience with this beta is awesome. Just waiting for my friends to come on so we can try running into dark zone and stuff together.

roytheone

Anyone else have problems with the ingame framerate lock? selecting 60 seems to lock it to 30, and selecting 30 seems to lock it to 60 for me.

i5-4690K, GTX 970, 8GB RAM - all stock speeds.

1080p, ultra preset FPS varied 30-60, mostly in the 40's, never noticed it drop below 30.
High varied varied 35-60, but mostly in the 50's
Medium was a solid 60, though running through one area there was a minor dip down to 53, tried running through it a few minutes later, and it didn't repeat.

I went around hunting for it, looking specifically for lighting scenarios that would illicit that effect, and it was nowhere to be found. The lighting in all other aspects is still impressive though.

Just look at any white spotlight shining directly onto a red/yellow/blue/green surface, you will notice there is no light bounce at all, and the light remains white over the entire area.
Yeah, I have not found it anywhere as well really, beyond your usual image based lighting kinda stuff.

On a different note. Some of the settings seem to be bugged. I was playing at 1440p with no issues and high frames earlier. 4K would give me suddenly 0-3FPS. Which did not make much sense. Other times it would give me 22fps. (Same scene)
4K 30 is impossible on my Titan X unless you drop PCSS, otherwise you get drops. Likewise, the post-processing is ultra bandwidth intensive at 4K, so bringing up the menu drops the FPS to 25 if the bokeh shape gets large. lol

Some cool things I noticed:
Area Lights
thedivision_2016_01_2lbs5f.png

Angle-independent reflection of character trick (SSR flip?)
Youtube Link
https://giant.gfycat.com/DisfiguredAncientAmericanquarterhorse.webm

I've done everything they suggested on their forums and I reverted my drivers instead of using the newly released driver. Still crashing within 2 - 3 minutes of playing.

BigTnaples

Okay, after booting into safe mode and reinstalling my drivers from scratch to no avail, I realized that for whatever reason, if vsync is set to off or auto, my FPS are in the 28s or even single digits. With Vsync to on, I get normal frame rates.

Anyone else have this issue?

atr0cious

I've done everything they suggested on their forums and I reverted my drivers instead of using the newly released driver. Still crashing within 2 - 3 minutes of playing.

I'm playing Rise of Tomb Raider right now on high settings, and I can't get this game to start.

Koutsoubas

I got a 980Ti set everything on Ultra except shadows which is High and HBAO+ which is also High. Im getting 65fps on average with the previous Drivers.

Also I left Supersampling, although im not sure if I should change that

BlackEyes

What is your CPU? The game is very CPU intense with all the CPU-relevant sliders up. Check up in the thread, my i7 was seein 100% cpu usage in a number of scenes with the FPS unlocked.

i7 4790k @ 4.6 ghz, locked to 60 fps, it's 100% usage all the time lmao

Tovarisc

I will take a look out for it. It may be still there in some capacity.

What would be indicator for GI's presence? Is it GI related effect when e.g. I leaned against car and that orange ring on backpacks shoulder strap shined its light to the side of the car in rather realistic way?

i5-4690K, GTX 970, 8GB RAM - all stock speeds.

1080p, ultra preset FPS varied 30-60, mostly in the 40's, never noticed it drop below 30.
High varied varied 35-60, but mostly in the 50's
Medium was a solid 60, though running through one area there was a minor dip down to 53, tried running through it a few minutes later, and it didn't repeat.

That doesn't sound too good tbh. Down to medium and still a few dips.

Buburibon

I got a 980Ti set everything on Ultra except shadows which is High and HBAO+ which is also High. Im getting 65fps on average with the previous Drivers.

Also I left Supersampling, although im not sure if I should change that

I am wondering how to disable supersampling and the other temporal AA option. During the intro I was wondering why there was practically no aliasing to speak of, and then I found out that supersampling was enabled by default. I mean, it looks nice for sure, but I'd much rather have it off if at all possible.

EDIT: "Stabilization" seems to be less demanding than supersampling, but the IQ suffers quite a bit as expected.

Xyber

That doesn't sound too good tbh. Down to medium and still a few dips.

I use a mix of medium and high and are at 60+ 90% of the time. Usually around 70-75 when there isn't a lot going on.

One thing that saves a lot of performance is the object level (I think that's tha name of it at least) slider. In the grand scheme of things having it around 30% won't be much different than 75+ but you can save like 10fps just on that. You will notice some object pop-in ever now and then but nothing major.

I am using a 970@1544MHz and i7 4770K@4.4GHz, 16GB RAM and Win 10.

Ragona

I have a feeling this game is kinda heavy on the cpu.
Im getting random fps jumps from 50-70 while running down the street on medium-high settings @1080p.
2500k@4,3 Ghz
390 nitro OC @ 1050 Mhz.
8 GB Ram.

kvk1

Is the FPS limit option not working for anyone else? It remains unlocked regardless of the selection.

980 SLI, 144 HZ.

knitoe

SLI is definitely not working. Using Ultra @ 4K, getting the same ~30fps with 1 or 2 GPUs on SLI Titan X. And, much more smooth with SLI disable.

Having to restart the game to apply graphics settings is infuriating. I hate when games do this. Makes trying to tweak for a specific fps target really cumbersome.

On the Ultra preset on my 2500k@4.0 ghz and 970 im getting anywhere from 40-60 fps. Going to turn down AA and see how that works.

Brb closing and restarting game x 500

Piggus

Some people are saying on Reddit that turning off local reflection quality and then restarting fixes SLI. Might be worth trying.

dragn

so are there any options that give a good fps boost? im between 35-60fps with a 2500k and 390 @ 2560x1080

Anyone else having an issue where the game will randomly decide that right/left click does nothing?

Can still move the mouse around, can't click anything.

Koutsoubas

I am wondering how to disable supersampling and the other temporal AA option. During the intro I was wondering why there was practically no aliasing to speak of, and then I found out that supersampling was enabled by default. I mean, it looks nice for sure, but I'd much rather have it off if at all possible.

EDIT: "Stabilization" seems to be less demanding than supersampling, but the IQ suffers quite a bit as expected.

Its probably obvious, but right now i cant recall what IQ stands for! Explain plz!

Diancecht

980 TI
i7 6700K @ 4.5 GHz
8 GB RAM

Solid 60 at 2K with pretty much everything Ultra, expect the Nvidia PCSS and Volumetric Fog.

Top Bottom