• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Thread of Awesome (Impressions + Videos)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Preview:
Most of Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime is a blast through. It really brought me back to the thrills of an SNES RPG, but with enough new elements thrown in to keep things fresh. I just hope that the constant feeling of discovery stays alive throughout the entirety of the quest.
http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200608/N06.0821.1831.27460.htm

Videos

Tank battles look awesome! I can't wait to infiltrate enemy tanks. Multi-player tank battles should be fun. :D

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Woooaaaaah!

That's plenty of DQ love!

Love the music, and the style. Great games doesn't have to be great tech shows!

jj984jj

1up has put up a preview/interview as well:
http://1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3153064&did=1

How tank battles work:
The tank has two cannons (upper and lower), and the DS's upper screen depicts the exchange of firepower. These attacks are determined on the lower screen as Rocket (and up to three AI companions) load ammunition into the guns. When the player's fire hits enemy projectiles, both sides' ammo fall to the ground; should one volley slip past undeflected, however, the damaged tank loses HP according to the rating of the ammunition in use. A piece of fruit inflicts a meagre 3 HP, while some of the more advanced munitions deal damage in the hundreds.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Is it just me or are the tank battles really slow? And from the videos, it just seems like you throw as much crap as you can find into the cannons and hope it hits the other tank. Maybe there's some hidden strategic thing I'm not seeing, can someone who's already play this address this?

Jiggy

Between the music and the tank battles, I somehow get a Goemon vibe out of this. I suppose that's only a good thing, though.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Well I guess I'll get this since Contact's been delayed, but I'm still a little concerned at the tank battles.

jj984jj

toasty already said every piece of ammunition has a rating, you just got to find ammunition with a higher rating and the battles will go faster. With other NPC's helping out as well I doubt it takes long.

BuddyC

Rocket Slime deserves far more attention! I've just gotten around to writing up my impressions thus far, and they're just as glowing as you'd expect, it's just so unbelievably charming. I know the Terms of Service aren't too keen on people posting links to their own stuff, but it's okay a) as long as you don't do it too much and b) in the rare case that an awesome game isn't getting the attention it deserves ...right?

http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/previews/preview.pl?sys=nds&game=rocketslime

And already, I've touched on one of Rocket Slime's more endearing traits. Look at the last sentence of the first paragraph. Notice how I used slimenapped instead of kidnapped? The entire game is filled with lighthearted humor that follows along these lines. At the end of a long day's slurp, you goo straight to bed. At another point, a fellow character remarks, "Thanks Squishy, you're solid." It's something I'm hesitant to give too many examples of, but so far, the game has one of the most endearing and entertaining scripts to come out of Square Enix in some time.
This paves the way for multiple strategies, especially further in the game as different types of ammunition and other crew members start to arrive. Will you just fire haphazardly, using whatever's on hand? Will you stagger the items so weaker items go out first, shielding the more damaging weapons? Will you play it defensively, firing only to protect yourself until you've amassed a massive stockpile, resulting in an unblockable barrage? Or will you play dirty, infiltrating an opponent's tank and attacking the crew to prevent them from launching any offensive or defensive measures? Personally, I'm a fan of the sabotage method, but to each their own.

Ark-AMN

Banned
BuddyC said:
Rocket Slime deserves far more attention! I've just gotten around to writing up my impressions thus far, and they're just as glowing as you'd expect, it's just so unbelievably charming. I know the Terms of Service aren't too keen on people posting links to their own stuff, but it's okay a) as long as you don't do it too much and b) in the rare case that an awesome game isn't getting the attention it deserves ...right?

http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/previews/preview.pl?sys=nds&game=rocketslime

Man, I wan't this game so badly. Less than two weeks now though, thankfully.

jarrod

Banned
Bebpo said:
It's not really an rpg unless you count Zelda as an rpg ^^;
Now who's splitting hairs over genre definitions! :p

CONFIRMED! ROCKET SLIME = BEST HANDHELD RPG IN HISTORY!

All the recent impressions make it sound like it's really going to be awesome. I wasn't even planning on buying it, but I preordered it for that slime keychain. :lol

I just wish that we could get the first game for GBA. It's aggrivating that we're getting this and Magical Vacation 2, yet the first GBA games were never released stateside. Why are the DS sequels getting translations but not the first games? Weird.

Aeana

Interesting--it sounds like the arranger and/or sound programmer is the same as DQ Yangus. It uses very similar sounds.

Totally rad.

Jiggy

Sounding better and better with each bit of news.

Chris Michael said:
I just wish that we could get the first game for GBA. It's aggrivating that we're getting this and Magical Vacation 2, yet the first GBA games were never released stateside. Why are the DS sequels getting translations but not the first games? Weird.
With Magical Starsign, I'd say it's because the threat of PSP in North America forced Nintendo to act. With Rocket Slime, who knows...

Top Bottom