• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dumpster Fire That Keeps Burning! Avengers Next Gen Update and Content Delayed

DonJorginho

Banned
This hollow shelled imposter of a game has already had enough controversies around it to be in the history books as one of the worst cash grabs in recent gaming history, but the misery keeps on piling up for Earths Laziest Developers.

Crystal Dynamics has today officially confirmed a delay for the next-gen version.

Writing on the Square Enix blog, the developer said: "We’ve also made the decision to shift our PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launch to next year to ensure that we give our team the time to deliver a next-gen experience showcasing all that this game is meant to be. More details to come." The first free post-launch content drop centred around Kate Bishop has also been pushed out of this month to a later date.

So not only is the next gen upgrade that is desperately needed for a game that performs like shit on most platforms delayed, the content that was meant to bring players back to this dying game has been pushed back.

So, how are people who bought this game for full price feeling? I think Anthem looks like The Witcher 3 compared to this streak of cat piss.

Hopefully they turn it around for those who have invested in this game, but they should know better than to throw cash at GAAS in 2020.

D8v0RfPWwAAc-Ec.png

lefty1117

Gold Member
It's a disappointing failure. The single player campaign was actually better than expected. I thought they would have given less attention on that part of the game in order to have the MP and content pipeline ready to go to pull more cash out of people. Colossal failure, in my opinion.

Rockman33

This hollow shelled imposter of a game has already had enough controversies around it to be in the history books as one of the worst cash grabs in recent gaming history, but the misery keeps on piling up for Earths Laziest Developers.

Crystal Dynamics has today officially confirmed a delay for the next-gen version.

Writing on the Square Enix blog, the developer said: "We’ve also made the decision to shift our PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launch to next year to ensure that we give our team the time to deliver a next-gen experience showcasing all that this game is meant to be. More details to come." The first free post-launch content drop centred around Kate Bishop has also been pushed out of this month to a later date.

So not only is the next gen upgrade that is desperately needed for a game that performs like shit on most platforms delayed, the content that was meant to bring players back to this dying game has been pushed back.

So, how are people who bought this game for full price feeling? I think Anthem looks like The Witcher 3 compared to this streak of cat piss.

Hopefully they turn it around for those who have invested in this game, but they should know better than to throw cash at GAAS in 2020.

D8v0RfPWwAAc-Ec.png
Worst cash grab? Lazy developers? Lot of Acquisitions for a game that was in development for 5 years or so. If you think developers actually try to make a poor game your delusional. Should it have been delayed, yeah. But at the end of the day it still had a solid 10 hour campaign with 6 very unique characters all balanced fairly well.

I think combat wise and campaign is actually really good and all characters are very fun to play. The foundation for a great game is there. Look at Sea of Thieves and No Man's Sky, much better games now and Sea of Thieves is one of my GOTGs. Give it time and stop crying. A delay is better than releasing a shit update that would piss even more people off. People on this forum have 0 knowledge or understanding how game development works lol.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Nobody has nailed this genre on the first pass. It is certainly something that studios most learn how to build. Not all will be successful in learning though-for some studios it is easier and wiser to give up rather than succumbing to sunk cost fallacy.

The other side of this is the market is just saturated right now. Destiny, The Division, Fallout 76, Anthem, Avengers, Warframe, etc. Frankly there just isn't room for that many titles. It is similar to the MMO space-there are only a handful that really succeed outside of WoW.

Took Bungie 2.5 games to figure out GaaS and they still barely get the job done imo. I'm not surprised at all.

GaaS doesn't work if you don't want to make enough content for free. It just plain doesn't. There's a handful of examples of it done right, Warframe, No Man's Sky, GTAV.

Avengers didn't make enough content for their payed portion of the game, they are struggling to make more and their cosmetic(s) only model is fine, but it also has it's own issues.

How one could struggle to make a successful Avengers games in todays market, with todays tech is beyond me. The recipe shouldn't be that hard to put together.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Hey avengers Anthem called they want there post launch support plan back.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
GaaS games should be free to play.

That way they could have lot of players, start adding content (some free, some under paywalls) or just make everything free aside for the usual battle-pass thing.

Yeah most of the people would not spend a dime, but looking at successfull cases like Genshin Impact it looks like a good idea.

Also, paying full price for an incomplete product is bullshit.

Mossybrew

But at the end of the day it still had a solid 10 hour campaign with 6 very unique characters all balanced fairly well.

If all you can say is that the game had an ok intro section, then the game is a failure, because the campaign is basically just a prologue for the "real" game they want you to play for hundreds of hours- the endgame gaas grind.

GymWolf

I think combat wise and campaign is actually really good and all characters are very fun to play. The foundation for a great game is there. Look at Sea of Thieves and No Man's Sky, much better games now and Sea of Thieves is one of my GOTGs. Give it time and stop crying. A delay is better than releasing a shit update that would piss even more people off. People on this forum have 0 knowledge or understanding how game development works lol.
Dude the game was in a incredibly shitty state when it was released at full price with people doing free betatesting, there is no defense that can keep up here, and i'm one of the few that enjoyed the gameplay in this game...

The final consumer doesn't care (and doesn't even need to) about how games are made, our money are not in a pre-alpha state when we buy a game at launch.

xrnzaaas

The game's already putting in abysmal numbers when it comes to player count. I really don't see it bouncing pack when Spiderman or even Black Panther are added to the game.

Jaxcellent

SE should focus on the stuff they are good at, FF7R part2, Tomb Raider, some other JRPG stuff, I'm not surprised the Avengers game turned out to be crap.

diffusionx

Gold Member
If they just made a great Avengers singleplayer game, and then maybe added a co-op mode later like Ghost of Tsushima, I think the game would have done really well and they wouldn't now be obligated to support an unpopular game for years.

I really don't know what all these studios are thinking sometimes, just the idea - let's turn Avengers into a Destiny clone - is awful.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
They're probably still working hard on fixing core issues of the game as-is, and looking forward to next gen as a kind of soft relaunch. I bought this game at launch because I was bored and wanted to play something new, and boy, I should have checked with the internet first. No more PlayStation Store impulse buys for me.

Esca

I liked the game. The campaign was decent and the characters were fun to play as. I really liked hulk. Never would of thought they would screw this game up like they did .

I am/was looking forward to the ps5 version because the loading is ugh. Haven't played in the last two weeks or so.

PresetError

Neophyte
More like gamers love ganging up on games that represent the worst of the industry: soulless corporate products that not only sell at full price but are purposefully designed to get you to spend even more.

Ok. But maybe stop kicking when it's down on the floor and unconscious. The corpses of Anthem and Fallout 76 were paraded around the internet forever. Every several months seems to be the need to pick a new sacrificial lamb.

Javthusiast

Banned
Spider-Man sold, Batman games sold.

Just stop it with the GaaS and do good old classic single player games for these super heroes please.

Just stop it with the GaaS and do good old classic single player games for these super heroes please.
I'd be shocked if Arkham Knights doesn't sell like hotcakes. People want co-op open world superhero games. We've been begging for them for 20 years. Not sure why someone hasn't just done it yet. I hope Arkham Knights starts a trend. They need to be open world though, to give our hero's space to run/fly/teleport/jump around in and I'm not so sure what's hard to understand about it.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Unless they plan a soft reboot next year ... game is dead and I’d expect post launch content plans to be axed.

This fell off quicker than Anthem. It’s a worse situation... but you never know... Marvel fans will buy anything

Avengers had strong numbers at launch. Sales were good. It’s the player count that matters most here... and it’s dead

And yes ... and if you can’t pull Fallout 76 player numbers your GaaS is a failure.

(just checked fallout 76s standings... while anecdotal I now think they’re too high to use it as the lowest metric for success... as 76 is doing better lately than I would’ve expected...Lol )

Last edited:
Dude the game was in a incredibly shitty state when it was released at full price with people doing free betatesting, there is no defense that can keep up here, and i'm one of the few that enjoyed the gameplay in this game...

The final consumer doesn't care (and doesn't even need to) about how games are made, our money are not in a pre-alpha state when we buy a game at launch.

You have a good point and the customer has every right to be upset, yes. I was more talking about the people complaining about the new content delays and that rushed content is an example of a bad game. Let's face it, this game was rushed out for the big $$$ and it was clearly not finished.

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
I bought two deluxe editions for my brother and I. I've put in probably about 100+ hours into it. I love it still but I am disappointed at the lack of Kate Bishop and proper new content and especially disappointed by the next gen delay. Kinda killed my main reason for having a PS5. I don't regret my purchase at all, but this October is a lot less Avengery than I'd hope for :(

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Thats just depressing. I dont understand how and why this is becoming the norm for this type of game. Learn from the mistakes of others and yourself.

So not only is the next gen upgrade that is desperately needed for a game that performs like shit on most platforms delayed
I am/was looking forward to the ps5 version because the loading is ugh.
and especially disappointed by the next gen delay. Kinda killed my main reason for having a PS5.
Y'all need to actually read the blogpost...

Until then, however, you’ll be able to continue playing the current-gen (PS4/Xbox One) Marvel’s Avengers game on next-gen platforms to take advantage of their powerful hardware, be it via inserting a physical disk or redownloading the game. Two of the most obvious benefits of this are improved frame rates and faster loading times.

Quantum253

More power to you, I am glad you enjoyed it, hate to see people upset with their purchasing decisions, i just hate what this game stands for, putting in the bare fucking minimum and charging full wack.
Think of how those poor Switch owners who re-purchased Fifa: Legacy Edition. Is Square aiming to top EA!

The hate-boner that so many people have for this game is hilarious. It's one thing to not like GaaS, but calling it a dumpster fire despite its financial success is peak retardation.

It was the best-selling game in September, ahead of Mario 3D All-Stars and Madden. It sold quite well.

Xenon

Dumpster fires always burn hotter when they're fueled by GaaS.

Sadly these companies are hooked on that constant revenue stream which puts them in direct opposition of my gaming preferences.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
The hate-boner that so many people have for this game is hilarious. It's one thing to not like GaaS, but calling it a dumpster fire despite its financial success is peak retardation.

It was the best-selling game in September, ahead of Mario 3D All-Stars and Madden. It sold quite well.

GaaS model only works if people play it for a long period of time, game has less active players then anthem at this point. I’m sure that marvel name wasn’t cheap, doubt it is a finacail success considering pervious failures in there eyes where games like tomb raider reboot.

Top Bottom