• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dumpster Fire That Keeps Burning! Avengers Next Gen Update and Content Delayed

GaaS model only works if people play it for a long period of time, game has less active players then anthem at this point. I’m sure that marvel name wasn’t cheap, doubt it is a finacail success considering pervious failures in there eyes where games like tomb raider reboot.
On PC. There is a 100% chance that it still has quite a healthy population on consoles.

As for Tomb Raider, they only considered its launch a failure. The entire reboot series has done quite well as a whole. Deus Ex is the failure you're thinking of lol

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
On PC. There is a 100% chance that it still has quite a healthy population on consoles.

As for Tomb Raider, they only considered its launch a failure. The entire reboot series has done quite well as a whole. Deus Ex is the failure you're thinking of lol

yet games like Destiny have the biggest population on PC.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The worst part of this game is the exact same as athem. the core mechanics are very good. You can have a ton of fun just fighting through levels. but the levels are just bad. like really bad. Most of it is some horrible off shoot of capture the flag. and theres not much variation.

Warnen

Because it plays better on mouse and keyboard... Avengers doesn't. It's quite wonky on mkb, actually.

that’s not actually true for destiny, the game was designed with controllers in mind from the get go, the ample aim assist and movement options lend them selves well for a controller even on PC, many informal polls have shown its dam near half and half on pc.

that’s not actually true for destiny, the game was designed with controllers in mind from the get go, the ample aim assist and movement options lend them selves well for a controller even on PC, many informal polls have shown its dam near half and half on pc.
Yes I know, I used to play Destiny on PS3/PS4.

But I feel confident saying that the PC version is, factually, a thousand times better. Not just because of the controls, but because of the framerate bump as well. Sure, Avengers also boasts a framerate bump from the console versions, but the mouse+keyboard controls are still a little wonky, as I said before. Though I do believe I read in some recent patch notes that they fixed some issues with it.

In any case, let's just be real: there are more casual gamers on console. Casuals love Marvel movies, so consoles are where the playerbase truly is.

Warnen

Yes I know, I used to play Destiny on PS3/PS4.

But I feel confident saying that the PC version is, factually, a thousand times better. Not just because of the controls, but because of the framerate bump as well. Sure, Avengers also boasts a framerate bump from the console versions, but the mouse+keyboard controls are still a little wonky, as I said before. Though I do believe I read in some recent patch notes that they fixed some issues with it.

In any case, let's just be real: there are more casual gamers on console. Casuals love Marvel movies, so consoles are where the playerbase truly is.

agreed the causal console marvel fans are playing fortnite this season :messenger_sunglasses:

Umbral

I hate to be harsh, but the same people that bought this are the same marks that bought Anthem and probably every other GaaS type game that’s lauched in a shit state.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I hate to be harsh, but the same people that bought this are the same marks that bought Anthem and probably every other GaaS type game that’s lauched in a shit state.

But Anthem flopped and this is selling like crazy so I don’t understand. Why don’t people research what they buy?

Fbh

Wonder if the game will still be relevant by the time they have this content ready.
Anyway, don't really feel sorry for the people who bought it at launch. Maybe when GaaS was a new thing, but by now you should know what to expect when you buy one of these games..... because almost all of them go through the exact same phases.

Now it will either die or they'll manage to retain enough players and in a year you can pick it up for like $15 with a ton of content and the level of polish it should have had at launch.

Last edited:

recursive

So, how are people who bought this game for full price feeling? I think Anthem looks like The Witcher 3 compared to this streak of cat piss.
Yea i wouldn't go that far. I at least got through the campaign in this. Anthem I got bored after a few hours once I realized it was as deep and wide as a drop of piss on the floor.

CrysisFreak

Banned
Fuck that trash game. 80 bucks down the drain. Or was it 90? I don't remember.
I should stop trusting western devs to make good combat. Leave that to Nioh and Sekiro.

Warnen

But Anthem flopped and this is selling like crazy so I don’t understand. Why don’t people research what they buy?

To be far Anthem was one of the biggest sellers of that year

Last edited:
I was so close to buying Avengers as it's like a childhood dream game for a lot of people. But that beta layed it all out. It couldn't have been more clear from the beta what we'd be getting and I'm really thankful they did that.

Avengers has potential. But the problem with how it's gone, it's essentially pushed all early adopters away.

It's another example of GaaS where early adopters kinda get fucked, but latecomers will get the game with more content at a cheaper price and with less cynicism.

Hostile_18

Banned
I always get the feeling people hating on this are the ones who havent actually played it.

Fantastic game and look forward to all the future content.

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

I got other shit to play. I knew going in it could be a gamble. Enjoyed it so far despite the bugs n shit. See where it goes..

VFXVeteran

Banned
This hollow shelled imposter of a game has already had enough controversies around it to be in the history books as one of the worst cash grabs in recent gaming history, but the misery keeps on piling up for Earths Laziest Developers.

Crystal Dynamics has today officially confirmed a delay for the next-gen version.

Writing on the Square Enix blog, the developer said: "We’ve also made the decision to shift our PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launch to next year to ensure that we give our team the time to deliver a next-gen experience showcasing all that this game is meant to be. More details to come." The first free post-launch content drop centred around Kate Bishop has also been pushed out of this month to a later date.

So not only is the next gen upgrade that is desperately needed for a game that performs like shit on most platforms delayed, the content that was meant to bring players back to this dying game has been pushed back.

So, how are people who bought this game for full price feeling? I think Anthem looks like The Witcher 3 compared to this streak of cat piss.

Hopefully they turn it around for those who have invested in this game, but they should know better than to throw cash at GAAS in 2020.

D8v0RfPWwAAc-Ec.png

Game plays fine for me 60FPS with all the ultra settings enabled. Looks great! Plays great!

Sejan

I’ve said it before, in the GaaS model, you need to have your first few months of content ready to go before launch. In any multiplayer game the first few months of work is necessarily going to have to be focused on bug fixes. Virtually none of the companies releasing these sorts of games are able to maintain their post launch road map because they launch unprepared and expect their game to be a perfectly polished gem at launch.

Big games and multiplayer games definitionally have more moving parts that can have bugs. Unfortunately, due to the nature of sort of game, these bugs are going to be harder to find and fix with only a small QA test group. These people really need to be better prepared when it comes to launching this sort of game. Either launch it as an early access, paid beta or have new content ready to go for post launch ahead of time.

levyjl1988

Banned
Well, at least it gives me time to level up Captain America, Hulk, and Thor to level 150. I already got Kamala, Widow, and Iron Man to level 150.
It sucks that Kate Bishop is delayed.
I have other games to play, so no worries.

But once Kate Bishop releases in November,I will not be playing her because I'll be investing and pouring hours into Cyber Punk 2077 and Marvel Avengers will be dead to me. They are only good until the next best form of entertainment.

Umbral

Fuck that trash game. 80 bucks down the drain. Or was it 90? I don't remember.
I should stop trusting western devs to make good combat. Leave that to Nioh and Sekiro.

You know what good combat is. The previews they showed were bad and showed bad combat. Lesson learned, it seems.

I don’t know why, but western developers are generally just not good at combat and mechanics.

Edit: I think it has something to do with the influence of film and their Hollywood aspirations.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Ok. But maybe stop kicking when it's down on the floor and unconscious. The corpses of Anthem and Fallout 76 were paraded around the internet forever. Every several months seems to be the need to pick a new sacrificial lamb.
Oh wow. Look at that. All terrible games

crozier

The matchmaking is completely broken. I have never (ever) had a full group. Frankly, I deserve a refund. Don’t worry about next generation, worry about fixing the current gen.

Top Bottom