• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Earthworm Jim HD |OT| (XBLA, PSN, Wiiware)

Urgh, why the hell didn't they just reuse Jim's old voice clips? He sounds awful now.

Oh, and they also should have just reused the music from the Sega CD/PC version. Compare the music in this trailer to this. It's nowhere near as good. Same with the music in this trailer when compared to this.

The Sega CD/PC version of Earthworm Jim has one of my favourite soundtracks of all time, so it's a shame they didn't use it for this.

Cipherr

KnightM7 said:
I wonder if this will have a save setting..

Someone needs a nap..

Nah the man has a point though. Theres lots of examples in GAFs ruleset where you arent allowed to post shit without something to back it up. All of this alleged money hat shit when you know nothing about whether or not thats going on gets old.

My gut tells me it could be a money hat, but we dont know that for certain, so why go posting it.

Daigoro

wow. bullshit achievements.

be ranked #1 on every "multiplayer" level?! uhhhhh. no thanks?

co-op levels though, huh? dunno how thats supposed to work. still, sounds like bullshit.

those underwater screen shots are giving me violent flashbacks. im thinking this is a pass for me. :lol

fernoca

Wait..so the game's coming or not coming to WiiWare??
That interview just confused the hell out of me..only talking about PSN and XBLA versions, some DSiWare..like...

Since a port of the Genesis game is already available on the Wii Shop Channel, we did not think it would make sense to add a remake there. So, we decided to focus on HD versions for home consoles like Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network. Theses HD versions will obviously be different from the Nintendo DSi version as they will feature entirely reworked graphics to fit HD standards. But there’s more: Achievements and Trophies can be unlocked respectively in the XBLA and PSN versions. And we’re promising many exclusive features, such as brand new levels with exclusive enemies and up to 4 players in co-op multiplayer!

..and then saying that the game will be released 1 month later on PSN..but..what about the Wii?

Rlan

So who's been playing it?

The trial is really good -- gives you most of the first level and a bit of Andy Asteroid.

Rlan said:
So who's been playing it?

Me. I had 900 points left and decided to go for it. I will admit that I haven't played this game since it came out and to my 10 year old self, this was pretty damn tough. So I'm playing through on easy first :p After about ten minutes of playing I think I'd seen more than I ever did first time round :lol

But yeah, I'm enjoying this a lot :)

Oli

So how is this version of the game compared to say, the Genesis version on the Virtual Console? I've got some points in my XBLA account, which I was saving for a few other games on the way, but I've never played this game so I figured I might give it a shot if it's an OK remake. I played the trial and it seemed OK, the controls are a little sloppy, but otherwise it seems fun.

Gek54

Wow, I have been waiting all generation for this and they ruined it by redoing Jim's voice. What the hell were they thinking/

fernoca said:
Wait..so the game's coming or not coming to WiiWare??
That interview just confused the hell out of me..only talking about PSN and XBLA versions, some DSiWare..like...

..and then saying that the game will be released 1 month later on PSN..but..what about the Wii?

That interview is pretty unambiguous about the fact that the WiiWare version has been cancelled, especially with the VC quote.

goldenpp72

the achievements are all pretty easy aside 2, there is no be number 1 on a leaderboard, just for that game.

My take? Graphics are all around better, voice of jim sucks now, music is ok but not as good.

Pretty good, the new content is not bad either.

OK so I just played the trial and as much as it pains to me say it, I wish they had just released the Sega Genesis version as it was. The new graphics look weird in the way the way that knock-off Simpsons shirts in the late 80's looked weird. In other words, EJ just looks off. The new voice is terrible as everyone has said. I actually thought the music was OK, not great but passable. But I just don't see me ever picking this up, Gameloft pretty much ruined EJ for me. It's a real bummer.

Edit: I guess a lot of people never got to the end of the game so maybe since its easier that makes this version worth it. They should have included the original graphics and sound ala that R-Type game and Monkey Island, then I would have bit.

goldenpp72

Neuromancer said:
OK so I just played the trial and as much as it pains to me say it, I wish they had just released the Sega Genesis version as it was. The new graphics look weird in the way the way that knock-off Simpsons shirts in the late 80's looked weird. In other words, EJ just looks off. The new voice is terrible as everyone has said. I actually thought the music was OK, not great but passable. But I just don't see me ever picking this up, Gameloft pretty much ruined EJ for me. It's a real bummer.

I don't see the hate for the graphics, a few things look off but it's definitely a prettier game, the new levels though, lack the charm the series has and i'd be kinda afraid if these people did a sequel.

Rlan

To be honest I think they nail his "Groovy" and "Oh yeah" -- I think it's just that Jim talks more than he did before.

Animation wise the weird thing is that the timing for it is off. The animations don't wait around as much, or don't loop several times before the payoff part.

fernoca

Father_Brain said:
That interview is pretty unambiguous about the fact that the WiiWare version has been cancelled, especially with the VC quote.
Darn..oh well..

Someone should edit the title and the topic then.. :(

I decided to get this today and damn am I happy I did! It's still fun and entertaining to this day. Nothing has style like Earthworm Jim anymore! Some really cool stuff in the game seriously. I understand why it was so awesome when I was a kid. And it still is awesome.

Morphis

Holy crap, 'Original' is owning my ass :p I did finish this game as a kid, but now I think I'm happy that there are other difficulty settings to choose from. As for Jim's voice, I did notice the change but it didn't put me off, yet. It'll be nice to play the later levels again, the first couple I still know by heart.

I just tried the demo, they fixed the animation and speed problems it seems from their iphone version, I dislike some of the added sounds though like his grunt when grabbing ledges, it sounds completely wrong and unfitting, plus it's a terrible quality recording.

I do like how they allow you to toggle between plasma and regular ammo, much easier to preserve those power shots now.

Fun but I will pass, the iphone version I paid 59p via sale for is good enough for some classic worm action.

RS4-

brandonh83 said:
Really can't seem to get used to the controls. I'm going to wait to see if the PSN version is any better for me.

Same here, I don't know if it's the 360 controller (probably is) but it feels...weird. Should let me plug in a snes pad or something :lol

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
God some of these levels are brutal, no wonder most people did not see the end of this game.

So far my biggest problems where the stupid bungie jump snotball boss, taking the dog out for a walk and Buttville The Descent.

Still a great game and I enjoy the mutiplayer, hope they do Earthworm Jim 2.

Reknoc

Deacan said:
God some of these levels are brutal, no wonder most people did not see the end of this game.

So far my biggest problems where the stupid bungie jump snotball boss, taking the dog out for a walk and Buttville The Descent.

Still a great game and I enjoy the mutiplayer, hope they do Earthworm Jim 2.

Buttville is pure hatred manifest into a single level. Awesome music though.

Played the trial version and enjoyed it more than I was expecting, played pretty well and the voices didn't bother me too much after a while.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK so I just played the trial and as much as it pains to me say it, I wish they had just released the Sega Genesis version as it was. The new graphics look weird in the way the way that knock-off Simpsons shirts in the late 80's looked weird. In other words, EJ just looks off.
Oh, come on, we've had the classic for years now. I love seeing a redrawn version of the game, even if I prefer the original. The original is in my Genesis right now. :D

I like what I've played of the HD remake, though.

It definitely feels a bit spoiled, though. It doesn't have the same feeling as the original. The menus are ugly and strange, the music is a bit off, and the new Jim voice is awful. The original game always had a very strange atmosphere right to the core. That is definitely lost here. Not surprised considering that it was made by Gameloft.

So, at this point, the best version remains the Sega CD release.

I'm still pissed that this is a one month XBLA exclusive, though. None of my real life friends bother with XBOX any more so I wouldn't be able to enjoy the multiplayer and achievements wouldn't matter. Also, hate the 360 pad for this game. Guess I'm waiting for the PSN version.

The Dutch Slayer said:
So the GAF opinion is?

Game is good but voice is bad? Or is the platforming also not good?

I'm not too bothered about the voice but at times the jumping feels a little unresponsive. This could just be a combination of me not having played the game for years and personally preferring the PS3 d-pad though.

JRW

dark10x said:
Oh, come on, we've had the classic for years now. I love seeing a redrawn version of the game, even if I prefer the original. The original is in my Genesis right now. :D

I like what I've played of the HD remake, though.

It definitely feels a bit spoiled, though. It doesn't have the same feeling as the original. The menus are ugly and strange, the music is a bit off, and the new Jim voice is awful. The original game always had a very strange atmosphere right to the core. That is definitely lost here. Not surprised considering that it was made by Gameloft.

So, at this point, the best version remains the Sega CD release.

I'm still pissed that this is a one month XBLA exclusive, though. None of my real life friends bother with XBOX any more so I wouldn't be able to enjoy the multiplayer and achievements wouldn't matter. Also, hate the 360 pad for this game. Guess I'm waiting for the PSN version.

Ugh I can already tell by your comments that I'd feel the same way (I havent played the remake yet but I LOVED the Sega CD version)

How can you mess with the original voice?

Sounds like another typical cash-in attempt.

I appreciate their attempts to add more inbewteen frames to Jim's animation but some of it looks kind of jerky.

I plan on putting together some sort of comparison video, for whatever it's worth. I don't have an HD capture card, though.

Anyone have any tips for the snot boss? It's the only thing stopping me from clearing the game on one life. Can't stand this awful level.

Lijik

iconoclast said:
Anyone have any tips for the snot boss? It's the only thing stopping me from clearing the game on one life. Can't stand this awful level.

Isnt like you just shoot him into the cliffsides to break his rope?
I dont really remember what I did when I last played this game, just that I had no problems with it.

Lijik said:
Isnt like you just shoot him into the cliffsides to break his rope?
I dont really remember what I did when I last played this game, just that I had no problems with it.

Yeah, you have to smack him into the rocks to break his cord 3 times. I dunno, I think I'm starting to get the hang of it but it's pretty random for me. Sometimes I'll kill him with a lot of life left over, other times I'll be nearly dead by round 3.

scitek

The site I write for did over an hour long podcast with Tommy Tallarico last night. I asked him about Earthworm Jim HD if anyone wants to hear his thoughts on it, it's at the 12:50 mark. We also talked about VGLive and how to get into the business, etc. It was fun to do.

http://ctrlaltkill.org/?p=5487

(Note: we used Skype and his audio really quiet at first. So, apologies for that, but we fixed it about 25 minutes in. :\)

Jme

sweet jesus yes! why have i not heard anything about this until now? picking up when its on the PSN!

Lijik

JRW said:
How can you mess with the original voice?
Watching the GB quicklook its probably because they decided to record new clips not present in the original game, like when you get a shield in co-op Jim shouts out "SHIELD!"

Also is the Billy the Can music in the HD version new? I don't remember it in any of the previous versions I've played (never played it on the Sega CD though). Itd make sense if it wasn't because it strikes me as the best music in the remake, probably because theres nothing to compare it to.

iconoclast said:
Yeah, you have to smack him into the rocks to break his cord 3 times. I dunno, I think I'm starting to get the hang of it but it's pretty random for me. Sometimes I'll kill him with a lot of life left over, other times I'll be nearly dead by round 3.
On the iphone version he was way too easy to beat, he would get stuck against the wall or not fight back like he should do in a weird buggy way, not because it was on easy or anything.

Guess they fixed that for the xbla version :p (a rare thing for gameloft)

Sega1991 said:
I appreciate their attempts to add more inbewteen frames to Jim's animation but some of it looks kind of jerky.

I plan on putting together some sort of comparison video, for whatever it's worth. I don't have an HD capture card, though.
480p is usually good enough for youtube HD if you keep compression low on your uploaded file, you did well with the turtles in time comparison video so go for it :D

SonicMegaDrive said:
Wow, people really remember EWJ as being a hard game? I frequently blast through the game just to see how fast I can do it.
I can beat EWJ2 on my ps1 copy easily but the first earthworm jim game I have never beat without cheating, sucks I know but if I were to try it now I could probably do it, I was only 8 or something when the original game came out.

Teknoman said:
What ever happened to Shiny anyway? We need more strange art style games this generation.

They merged with The Collective to form Double Helix Games, which is currently working on Front Mission Evolved.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
SonicMegaDrive said:
Wow, people really remember EWJ as being a hard game? I frequently blast through the game just to see how fast I can do it.

I remember EWJ2 being harder than the 1st.

Lijik

Diablohead said:
On the iphone version he was way too easy to beat, he would get stuck against the wall or not fight back like he should do in a weird buggy way, not because it was on easy or anything.

Guess they fixed that for the xbla version :p (a rare thing for gameloft)

... This explains why I had such an easy time :lol

Top Bottom