• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Earthworm Jim HD |OT| (XBLA, PSN, Wiiware)

goldenpp72 said:
Anyone have tips to not get hurt by the boss on intestinal distress?

just shoot him once right as he's about to land from his jump. he won't spit out any yellow shit, so when he jumps at you again you can safely walk over to the other side. wait for him to jump toward you again, shoot him, and repeat.

hope that's not confusing. :p

Lijik

Listening to the voiceclips back to back, I do not get the "THEY RUINED JIMS VOICE!" crowd.
It sounds exactly the same, just not compressed.

Also that GBA port is mindblowingly terrible. Didn't it also have something dumb like a password system instead of battery saves?

Lijik

Just finished the Andy Asteroids bit.
The GBA version.. just. Wow. There are no words :lol

Great comparison video, Sega1991

Also, the comparison video is awesome and all, but SNES version kicked the Genny versions butt in the graphics department (lens flare lighting effect from the sun in the background, smooth as butter animation), would have been cooler if you had that one to show off too, since the quality of video you got is pretty good.

Heres a blurry ass video showing SNES version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUKZ9g-GSn4

HadesGigas said:
Also, the comparison video is awesome and all, but SNES version kicked the Genny versions butt in the graphics department (lens flare lighting effect from the sun in the background, smooth as butter animation), would have been cooler if you had that one to show off too, since the quality of video you got is pretty good.

Heres a blurry ass video showing SNES version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUKZ9g-GSn4

To me, the differences between the SNES and the Genesis version are so insignificant it wasn't really worth showing both of them because you're basically splitting hairs at that point.

I was always a Genesis version guy, myself. The SNES one had some great effects that the Genesis version didn't, but the Genesis version had always felt like a better console for Jim because of the added resolution and large sprites.

Sega1991 said:
To me, the differences between the SNES and the Genesis version are so insignificant it wasn't really worth showing both of them because you're basically splitting hairs at that point.

I was always a Genesis version guy, myself. The SNES one had some great effects that the Genesis version didn't, but the Genesis version had always felt like a better console for Jim because of the added resolution and large sprites.

Then how about that Game Boy version? lol

There was also a Game Gear one (can't find video with sound).

For anyone wondering what the original creator thinks about it:

Doug Tennapel on his forums said:
I've never seen these characters before in my life, and I wouldn't approve them. It feels like EWJ 3D all over again. There's no need for them to do this.

Doug Tennapel responding to some close-ups of Jim's HD sprites someone posted said:
HAHHAHAHA! Look at those hideous Jims! At least the obviously bad art will give true Jim fans something to laugh at. We finally have the HD resolution to get a good look at Jim and he looks like this?! Put it back! Go back to 16 bit!

That four player mode does look fun.

I have no idea what's going on with this game. It's weird, but I'm kind of used to Jim looking and acting not-Jim for most of his life since EWJ2. What bugs me is that it doesn't cost more money to make these things look right, it just takes humility for a production to admit that they might need some help.

I'm still hoping Interplay will do a legit, new, next generation Jim game we've talked about. It's financially tough out in the gaming world right now. Companies like EA are laying off people and studios are shutting down everywhere.

Poor Doug Tennaple. It sounds like a bunch of people have fallen in love with a portrayal of Earthworm Jim he had nothing to do with and may not even like. :lol

Even if I think the HD graphics look pretty decent, it's nice to see he's willing to speak up like that. Most other guys in his position would probably be super polite and kind of slink away without getting too critical.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Hitlersaurus Christ said:
For anyone wondering what the original creator thinks about it:

I suppose it's his prerogative and everything, but he just sounds sort of bitter that nobody asked him to work on the HD project.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Waiting on the PSN version, but since there are some EWJ experts here I thought I'd ask...

When I originally played the SNES version (to completion!) I remember being able to make Jim say "Groovy!" over and over on the title cards between levels. When I later got the Genesis version (and, IIRC, the SegaCD version too) I wasn't able to figure out which button I could press to make him say "Groovy!" between levels.

Was the "press button, Jim says 'Groovy!'" a feature unique to the SNES version? Is it in the HD version? :)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
jvm said:
Waiting on the PSN version, but since there are some EWJ experts here I thought I'd ask...

When I originally played the SNES version (to completion!) I remember being able to make Jim say "Groovy!" over and over on the title cards between levels. When I later got the Genesis version (and, IIRC, the SegaCD version too) I wasn't able to figure out which button I could press to make him say "Groovy!" between levels.

Was the "press button, Jim says 'Groovy!'" a feature unique to the SNES version? Is it in the HD version? :)

It was in the Genesis version and it's in HD one.

Scarecrow

Just beat it (original difficulty). There's some stuff I don't remember from my time with the SNES version. In the first level, I don't remember a part where jim was without his suit. I also don't remember that Intestinal Fortitude level near the end. Was there some stuff they cut from the SNES version?

I like how one of the Avatar awards is Jim's suit.

That one life achievement looks to be impossible. I thought I was doing alright until the last few levels, as well as the last set of asteroid levels, which I can't seem to beat the asshole at. Is the 50 minute one possible?

Scarecrow said:
That one life achievement looks to be impossible. I thought I was doing alright until the last few levels, as well as the last set of asteroid levels, which I can't seem to beat the asshole at. Is the 50 minute one possible?

I just got both of those actually. :D

The multiplayer co-op stages are actually pretty fun. Finishing them up right now to 200/200 it.

Teknoman

Lijik said:
I agree for the most part that the graphics look pretty good, I also gotta admit some of the frames are pretty damn hideous

24zg3h4.jpg

9h2sd3.png

5th person in the world to 200 it, according to MGC. Not too bad!

Snot boss was by far the hardest part of the game imo :lol. EWJ is still a groovy game.

geebee

Banned
WanderingWind said:
I suppose it's his prerogative and everything, but he just sounds sort of bitter that nobody asked him to work on the HD project.
I kind of got that feeling, too...

Can't say I blame him. How would you feel if you lost control over a character and franchise you created, and the people who took over didn't even consult you, and ended up making the character look pretty bad?

24zg3h4.jpg

They didn't even get the shape of his head right. His eyes are supposed to protrude from his head; instead they made his head bulge to accomodate them.

Redd

What's the multiplayer like? Tempted to buy it but if it's just a single player game I'll pass until it's half off.

Redd said:
What's the multiplayer like? Tempted to buy it but if it's just a single player game I'll pass until it's half off.

It's 15 new co-op levels (up to 4 players). They're pretty fun and it plays well online.

Teknoman

Playing the trial, Jim doesn't look bad in action. Sure you probably could pick out some odd frames, but just looking at the gameplay, its nothing obvious.

Chao

Ben2749 said:
Can't say I blame him. How would you feel if you lost control over a character and franchise you created, and the people who took over didn't even consult you, and ended up making the character look pretty bad?

24zg3h4.jpg

They didn't even get the shape of his head right. His eyes are supposed to protrude from his head; instead they made his head bulge to accomodate them.

6qbpc9.jpg

jett

D-Member
HadesGigas said:

That video is 60fps...on youtube...how?

Agent X

Sega1991 said:

Great video, thanks!

Assuming this game actually gets released on PSN, this would mark the first appearance of Earthworm Jim on a Sony console. Every previous game with Earthworm Jim (either a proper EWJ series game, or a game where Jim makes a guest appearance) has been canceled, including:

Earthworm Jim 2 (PlayStation)
Earthworm Jim 3D (PlayStation)
Clay Fighter Extreme (PlayStation)
Earthworm Jim (PSP)

The PSP version looked pretty good, too. It's a shame it was never completed. Here's a YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VsSBEXTinM

TheYanger

Agent X said:
Great video, thanks!

Assuming this game actually gets released on PSN, this would mark the first appearance of Earthworm Jim on a Sony console. Every previous game with Earthworm Jim (either a proper EWJ series game, or a game where Jim makes a guest appearance) has been canceled, including:

Earthworm Jim 2 (PlayStation)
Earthworm Jim 3D (PlayStation)
Clay Fighter Extreme (PlayStation)
Earthworm Jim (PSP)

The PSP version looked pretty good, too. It's a shame it was never completed. Here's a YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VsSBEXTinM

-_- That looks awful. That's exactly the kind of 'remake' devs should be avoiding making.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Agent X said:
Assuming this game actually gets released on PSN, this would mark the first appearance of Earthworm Jim on a Sony console.
This is not true, unless you add the qualifier "...outside of Europe". The PS1 got EWJ2 in Europe, as I recall. Maybe just UK, but somewhere over there. :D

This is just from memory, so I could still be wrong. :)

Rlan

ewj2-psonea.jpg

Yeah, it did come out in Europe.

One of the things that weirds me out about the HD version is the credits:

Zhou Ning

Game Designers
Li Lei
Chan Xi
Wu Hao Ran
Liu Mei
Liu Ke
Xu Qi

Lead Programmers

Yin Ze Hong
Gong Zong Yao
Wang Jian

Programmers
Gao Chuan
Lu Yan
Zhou Bin
Liu Peng Fei
Hong Hu
Chen Hong
Zhou Ling Fei
Xin Yi
Peng Yang
Long Yong
Han Guang Hui
Huang Qing
Mao Wem Peng
Fan Xin

Artists

Zheng Yan
Zheng Jun
He Xin Yu
Hao Rui
Bai Qiu Yuan
Du Yong Lin
Xiao Shen
Ma Shao Chun
Wu Hao
Li Yan
Lu Bin
Alexis Bauzet
Christian Robert
Jocelyn Joret

A little different from the Tom Tanaka and the like :p

goldenpp72

I dunno if i'll ever beat this without dying, I can get up to snot a problem without dying, then I die there, and if I beat that part I get screwed in andy asteroids, I swear the andy asteroids is harder in this game than in the original..

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Redd said:

Giant Bomb hd a quick look where they played some co-op.
Looked really fun, good enough for me to buy the game on that alone.

J-Roderton

Redd said:

MP is fun. Played a few levels through tonight with a random player. It makes it so you have to split up and open gates for each other. It was a fun addition. If you die the remaining player has to get a continue and so you can respawn.

By the way, is anyone else stuck on the bonus level with the keyboard cat? After I beat him for the second time, I end up getting stuck in a spot where you can ride one of the floppy disc magic carpet type things up a ways and there is nowhere else for me to go. I see a ledge that I can reach and a hook that I can't grab onto. What's up with that shit?

Tempted to take my comparison video down. I don't own the game yet, see, so I figured that with the presence of the extra section in New Junk City from EWJSE, that all of the EWJSE levels were in.

I just double checked and it would appear that most of the EWJSE content is infact missing from EWJHD. EWJSE had entire brand new levels, like "Big Bruty", that are gone. The only EWJSE level they seem to have kept is "Intestinal Distress".

That kind of puts a damper on the whole feature comparison part at the end of my video.

Why the fuck would they go through the trouble of porting some of the SE content, but not all of it? For a moment there I was wondering why people were so down on Gameloft.

LevityNYC

Banned
I broke down a bought it on 360. Its awesome. I like it a lot. I loved the original game.

The multiplayer is surprisingly fun. I beat it with 1 random. Its kind of a shame that it doesnt seem to have sold well if getting a co-op game together is any indication.

I used the stick rather than the Dpad and it controlled great. Good remake.

How do people feel about the new single player stages? I must say it feels a bit odd considering the original creator had no input on them. Makes me fear that they might feel a bit off or unecessary added to the game. I am not the biggest fan, but I appreciate consistency. Was a bit harsh those sentiments from the creator, i think this redrawn stuff looks pretty decent and faithful than most revival series these days.

Just saw more of the comparison video. I think its neat they added an optional hint system and that you can see the hp meter of the enemy. Just noticed the space race part on the gba version, looks like the boulders fall from above compared to the other versions where it comes from the distance. :lol

Great informative comparison video Sega1991! it definetly makes me curious to check the Special Edition eventually. Isn't it available on GOG?

Sega1991 said:
Tempted to take my comparison video down. I don't own the game yet, see, so I figured that with the presence of the extra section in New Junk City from EWJSE, that all of the EWJSE levels were in.

I just double checked and it would appear that most of the EWJSE content is infact missing from EWJHD. EWJSE had entire brand new levels, like "Big Bruty", that are gone. The only EWJSE level they seem to have kept is "Intestinal Distress".

That kind of puts a damper on the whole feature comparison part at the end of my video.

Why the fuck would they go through the trouble of porting some of the SE content, but not all of it? For a moment there I was wondering why people were so down on Gameloft.

Intestinal Distress wasn't new content for the Special Edition. It was also in the Genesis version. It would have been in the SNES version, but apparently it was cut because it was a little too graphic/disturbing, and Nintendo were a lot more strict about what could go into SNES games.

As for the comparisons between the different games, I find it funny that the Game Boy version actually looks like it plays better than the GBA version. I've played the GBA version, and it's absolutely awful. The controls are off (as you can tell from the video in which it takes many attempts to swing from the moose head), shooting things is awkward (again, watch the video, and you see during the first miniboss that you can't shoot the things that fall from the sky), and the camera is zoomed in on Jim *way* too closely, making it hard to see your surroundings.

I forced myself to play through the GBA version, but eventually gave up at Buttville: The Descent. You think it's hard in the other versions? Try playing it with poor controls and a zoomed in camera.

For years I used to think that Earthworm Jim 2 was as good as the original, but after playing it again relatively recently, I realised that's not the case at all. It's still a good game, but I wouldn't say it's a classic like the original. The levels simply aren't as fun, and it only feels like a platformer about half of the time. The other half, you're playing what feels like a minigame collection, such as the Flyin' King, Villi People, and Puppy Love.

It definitely retains the quirkiness and humour, but the first game plays better. I'm still contemplating whether to get this HD remake of 1, but I'm sure I wouldn't bother with an HD remake of 2.

Teknoman

storafötter said:
How do people feel about the new single player stages? I must say it feels a bit odd considering the original creator had no input on them. Makes me fear that they might feel a bit off or unecessary added to the game. I am not the biggest fan, but I appreciate consistency. Was a bit harsh those sentiments from the creator, i think this redrawn stuff looks pretty decent and faithful than most revival series these days.

Just saw more of the comparison video. I think its neat they added an optional hint system and that you can see the hp meter of the enemy. Just noticed the space race part on the gba version, looks like the boulders fall from above compared to the other versions where it comes from the distance. :lol

Great informative comparison video Sega1991! it definetly makes me curious to check the Special Edition eventually. Isn't it available on GOG?

Unfortunately no. I thought I was getting a deal the other day by getting the 1&2 pack on GOG...was under the impression it would be the special edition of 1 and normal windows version of 2. Nope, its just the Dos version of both run through dosbox, and apparently those are missing 1 or 2 levels as well.

And they both act screwy with the 360 wired controller.

dywz9s.jpg

Top Bottom