• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Earthworm Jim HD |OT| (XBLA, PSN, Wiiware)

tjohn86

Jroderton said:
MP is fun. Played a few levels through tonight with a random player. It makes it so you have to split up and open gates for each other. It was a fun addition. If you die the remaining player has to get a continue and so you can respawn.

By the way, is anyone else stuck on the bonus level with the keyboard cat? After I beat him for the second time, I end up getting stuck in a spot where you can ride one of the floppy disc magic carpet type things up a ways and there is nowhere else for me to go. I see a ledge that I can reach and a hook that I can't grab onto. What's up with that shit?

I got stuck here too... anyone know the answer?

Teknoman said:
Unfortunately no. I thought I was getting a deal the other day by getting the 1&2 pack on GOG...was under the impression it would be the special edition of 1 and normal windows version of 2. Nope, its just the Dos version of both run through dosbox, and apparently those are missing 1 or 2 levels as well.

And they both act screwy with the 360 wired controller.

Thats a shame, I won't be getting those then.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Nice comparison video.

My favorite version remains the original CD version released on Sega CD. Absolutely awesome all around.

The biggest problem I'm seeing with the HD version (aside from things like art changes) is actually the speed. It may play at the same speed, but the music and sound effects make it SEEM much slower. I noticed this while playing as well. It just doesn't have the same energy.

Regarding the other versions not shown, I do think the SNES version is actually pretty different from the Genesis version...but not always in a good way. The GB and Gamegear versions are oddities, I think, as they are impressive for the hardware but don't really look or play well enough to be worthwhile. The style of visuals in EWJ just wasn't a good fit for that hardware. The GBA version, though? They should be ashamed.

God damn I want this game so bad but dont want to play with the 360 controller. Need to get this on the PSN. I this always happens when I want a digital game on the PSN over the 360 version.

Just played the demo, and I think I'm going to pass until it's on sale for 400 points. Although Jim's redrawn sprites actually do look OK in motion, Jim's new voice is bad, and the music sucks. They should have kept Jim's voice unchanged, and reused the soundtrack from the Sega CD/PC version.

Bought this game. Fucking love it.

I forgot how fantastic the music is. Seriously, i don't think there's any bad song in this game. Buttville (1st part with the spikes) song is amazing.

I played this in Original difficulty and it wasn't that hard, to be honest. The levels that gave me the most difficulty were For Pete's Sake and the Buttville.

Also, keyboard cat is hilarious!

krae_man

I bought the DSiware version with the 1000 points that were sitting on my DSi since I bought it at launch.

It's decent enough and it has some stuff with the DSi camera.

But I was pissed off you couldn't press buttons after you beat a level to make Jim say groovy more:lol

jvm

Gamasutra.
krae_man said:
But I was pissed off you couldn't press buttons after you beat a level to make Jim say groovy more:lol
It's as if the people doing the porting don't know what's really important.

MNC

jvm said:
It's as if the people doing the porting don't know what's really important.
Hey man it's this little quirks that can make or break a game :p

It's not like you WANT this Jim to say groovy more than once.

jvm

Gamasutra.
MNC said:
Hey man it's this little quirks that can make or break a game :p

It's not like you WANT this Jim to say groovy more than once.
I for one want Jim to say "Groovy!" on command as often as possible.

salva said:
Bought this game. Fucking love it.

I forgot how fantastic the music is. Seriously, i don't think there's any bad song in this game. Buttville (1st part with the spikes) song is amazing.

I played this in Original difficulty and it wasn't that hard, to be honest. The levels that gave me the most difficulty were For Pete's Sake and the Buttville.

Also, keyboard cat is hilarious!

Meh. The music is better than the Mega Drive/Genesis and the SNES versions, but not a patch on the Sega CD, Saturn, and PC versions. They should have just used that soundtrack, as the current one is just poor by comparison.

Here's "Use Your Head" (the music for the Buttville: Descent stage) from the Sega CD/Saturn/PC version. Not only is the quality much better, but the tune goes into something really different (and awesome) at the 1:19 mark before looping.

Coming next tuesday.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/07/29/coming-tuesday-to-psn-earthworm-jim-hd-for-ps3/

Get your Plasma Baster ready for some trigger happy times in the sweet world of high definition graphics — thanks to the amazing team at Gameloft, they’ve given all the original levels in the single-player campaign a healthy HD face-lift. As an added bonus, you’ll discover three exclusive levels which you can now venture through in a never-before-seen setting.

Not one for solo adventures? Gameloft has you covered. Earthworm Jim HD offers local and online 2-4 player co-op gameplay in 15 multiplayer levels! You can also team up with your buddies to (you know) launch cows or madly whip space ships.

Came out yesterday on the UK PSN, I assume it's on all EU PSN stores.

The only EWJ I've played before was on the Gameboy, such a challenge but I did manage to finish it.
The Peter Puppy levels annoyed me the most.

Played the PSN Trial last night and loved it, going to buy later.

protonion

I played the trial for ps3. Nostalgia hit me hard. I still have the snes cart but I'll buy it again.
It seems that the snes version was cut. I saw the first level on youtube and it has way more areas.

The only thing that bothered me, is the lack of the explosion sound when you kill the enemies. I hate when they remove small details like that in remakes. I cannot stop noticing them.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Played through the PSN version.

Not a bad update to the game, but there are a lot of nitpicky things that really annoy me. The game always had a rather dark, strange feel to it, I thought, and that is somewhat lost here. The main culprit here seems to be non-game UI elements and new music. The main menu, the loading screens, and everything else outside of the game proper just feels cheap and out of place. It's something Gameloft is notorious for.

The loading screens and main menu are just awful. What's with that cheesy "smoke" effect in the lower left corner? What's the point? What about the music? It sound so out of place.

The package as a whole just feels strange now, as a result.

Still, it's Earthworm Jim and it does look great. I just wish it hadn't been Gameloft that got a hold of it.

Bought it for $3 over the weekend on PSN. EJ was one of my favorite games as a kid, so I figured it'd be worth looking into an update. I just wanted to give it a quick glance, so I stopped once I got to Tube Race.

My only complaints are the weird menus that kind of break the feel. I wish they would have kept the original menu screens instead.

Also, I don't really understand why they had to replace Doug TeNapel's voice work. I haven't heard any new dialogue yet, and I grew up with THAT voice, so it's a little offputting for it all to be replaced. I'm guessing this means that there's also no crazy ending speeches.

Top Bottom