• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The east has Kojima. Europe has Lake. Who do we got?

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
images

digdug2

Ken and Roberta Williams, Sierra was the shit back in the day.

This will be a good one on GAF...Chris Roberts. Wing Commander mothertruckers.

Houser brothers for GTA.
Same for Ron Gilbert, Tim Schaffer, and Dave Grossman. Point and click adventure games, IMO, are a huge reason why gaming boomed in the first place.

Dan and Sam Houser

Warren Spector

John Romero

Amy Hennig

It's always okay to cancel pedo's

This post has been making rounds lately about him, and yes, it's absolutely more than okay to cancel pedos, but he's not one and it's used disingenuously against him without context.

That entire post was him poking fun the pedos on that website, let alone that thread. He's said this numerous times about the sarcastic nature of that post. He doesn't even have to go out and say it (which pedophile has openly posted on a public forum like this?), given the brazen nature of claiming 14 y/o's being hot, people will pretend online to claim it's serious just to shit on him and present this as "evidence".

Honestly, if it wasn't for his potty mouth and his smartass fucking L takes (like this one), he would respected as a designer in the west. Just stfu and makes games if you come back, Cliff.

Last edited:

YuLY

Casey Hudson, he led Star Wars Kotor 1 and Mass Effect trilogy teams, doesnt get better than that if you appreciate SF and RPGs (literally, trust me, I searched). Hes now working on another SF game with his new studio, LET HIM COOK.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Idk how others interpret the OP but IMO its less about has the "most played games" but more about being the creator of something that is:
-unmistakably unique in terms of aesthethics
-themes completely different than contemporaries
-almost as if built in a vacuum by a person with a very very specific vision
-without publishers getting involved and trying to steer it with the intention of most people "getting it"

This is pretty much it and apologies I wasn’t more specific in the OP.

Put me in for Levine. I think he’s exactly it.

Shut0wen

Definitely ken levine, dont care what anyone says but bioshock probably one of the most well written games of all time, also after alan wake 2 sam lake has become cringe god

Just an observation - which of these are really active nowadays in the video games industry? At least as in directly making games?

I get what you're saying in the traditional AAA sense, but apart from maybe Warren (I don't know what happened after System Shock 3 got canned and he bailed out), the rest are.

The Housers are.
Hennig is working on that Marvel game, Capt America + Black Panther.
Romero, albeit small projects, just worked on SIGIL.

Last edited:

MrKainobi

Neo Member
But Sam Lake can actually write? EU‘s Kojima is David Cage. So what US game director is there who is horny, has campy writing, and is pretentious AF?

Phil Fish…

Remember when he said Fez 2 would be the next Zelda 2? What fucking balls straight up.

amG6Eyg.png

Zelda 2 FEZ though

bCLE02v.gif

Don't worry, there are still western devs who think like Phil Fish to a slight degree even today, but they hide it better and they're not as overt. Even so, you still get infrequent episodes like the one with Elden Ring.
I actually dropped this old video in a Discord I share with a few buddies who are devs in various smaller and bigger western studios to see what sort of reactions it will get and this is what they had to say:

X: Well, Phil Fish is an idiot, but Jonathan Blow makes sense with what he explained. Also, this video happened like a million years ago.

Y: He has a point. There was a period when games were kind of shitty, especially from a technical standpoint. But overall, I would say it's okay now.
Y: Many have shifted their focus to solid gameplay and art rather than technical prowess.
Y: There was a period of an arms race with the West producing increasingly technically impressive games.
Y: He's still an egotistical idiot. He could have expressed himself in a much more civilized manner.

Z: So I just want to say that Phil Fish is the one who said, and I quote, 'Suck my dick. Choke on it' on social media, and he's a complete idiot.
Z: Other than that, I pretty much agree with what these people are saying.
Z: Japanese games are just a niche at the moment, with their good moments. But Western stuff blows it out of the water.
Z: (I'm referring, on average, to the general trend, as you can find one-hit wonders anywhere in this world.)

Last edited:

Red5

Just an observation - which of these are really active nowadays in the video games industry? At least as in directly making games?

Warren Spector I think, man just has the shittiest luck with what happened to System Shock 3, damn shame too since the trailer looked great.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
We the people of the US, take Miyazaki as our candidate.

Without us, he would be shoveling shit at the circus.

We made him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom