• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

Authority

Banned
How much did this game cost to make? KotOR 3 range? More?

The Elder Scrolls Online Rumored To Have Cost $200 Million

Bethesda and ZeniMax Online will be releasing The Elder Scrolls Online later this year. The game will be arriving in April for the PC and Mac, and will be making its way onto consoles like the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4 later in June. In the meantime we’re sure some gamers are wondering just how much money does it take to create an MMORPG such as The Elder Scrolls Online?

Well if you were curious and wanted a bit of trivia, how does $200 million sound to you? That’s the figure that was recently tweeted by Superannuation, a person who has in the past been pretty accurate with their leaks and information. Unfortunately the tweet has since been deleted and we’re not sure why. Could it be that it was accurate and that the studios did not want the figure to be disclosed, or could it be that Superannuation got it wrong and removed it?

As it stands it remains unknown but for such a game to cost $200 million to develop is not completely out of the question. After all games such as Star Wars: The Old Republic did cost around that much as well, and had a larger production staff, meaning that The Elder Scrolls Online could cost around that as well. In fact a while back we reported that a game such as Rockstar’s Grand Theft Auto 5 cost around $265 million, so what do you guys think? Is The Elder Scrolls Online a $200 million production, and with that being said, does that mean we can expect a lot from it?

Direct Source: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/01/the-elder-scrolls-online-rumored-to-have-cost-200-million/

ZeniMax Debunks Elder Scrolls Online 200M Budget Rumor: We Couldn’t Have Wasted That Much Money

In a statement from ZeniMax Online Studios, the developers behind The Elder Scrolls Online, they have denied a claim that the game cost 200 million dollars to make saying that there was no way they could have put that much money into the game.

The claim came from a tweet that was quickly deleted earlier today. Many players have expressed their dissatisfaction with the game and pointed to the rumored excessive budget as proof of the game’s complete mismanagement. Game director Matt Firor explained in an interview today that the game definitely did not cost 200 million dollars to make.

“If we really did waste 200 million dollars to make this game, then we would have been fired already for incompetence,” said Firor, “When you look at The Elder Scrolls Online, you don’t see a 200 million dollar game. In fact, feedback from our beta testers have stated that based on the game’s quality, not a lot of money was put into it. This clearly points to how much effort went into the game. ”

“So let’s pretend that we actually did spend 200 million dollars on the game, people would be banging on our doors to play The Elder Scrolls Online which is not the case,” continued Firor, “So I don’t see how people could even imagine that we would sink 200 million dollars into this game. I’m not entirely sure what people would expect from a 200 million dollar game in the first place, but I can tell you that it’s definitely not The Elder Scrolls Online.”

“Without the nondisclosure agreement, I’m sure hundreds of gamers would be backing me up right now,” remarked Firor, “In fact, everyone breaking the agreement to say that this game is bad is clearly a person you should just ignore.”

We attempted to reach Bethesda, publishers of the The Elder Scrolls series, for a comment regarding this rumor; however, a representative for the company told us that they have never heard of a game called The Elder Scrolls Online.

Direct Source: http://www.p4rgaming.com/zenimax-debunks-elder-scrolls-online-200m-budget-rumor-we-couldnt-have-wasted-that-much-money/

CoLaN

I don't understand the treatment that the game is receiving on this forum. I did read a lot of impressions from people who played for 1 hour, and didnt get past the starting area. Reading other big forums and sites, the interest seems pretty high.

The scope of the game is huge.

As an ex DAOC player, im excited.

said Firor, “When you look at The Elder Scrolls Online, you don’t see a 200 million dollar game. In fact, feedback from our beta testers have stated that based on the game’s quality, not a lot of money was put into it. This clearly points to how much effort went into the game. ”

Did he just trash his own game?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
When I first started reading the OP I thought 'what a rubbish OT' but then it clicked. Just needs prices and release dates from consoles. Which reminds me, I bet it will sell alright on the next-gen consoles given there isn't much out so if could be a blessing from the devs/publisher.

Malcom McDowell shows up if there is a craft service table, bro.

You heard it folks, direct from James Woods mouth.

lol, are those NeoGAF Impressions real?

I would assume so. It was probably taken from the NDA has lifted thread.

Here's my impression of the beta:

I made it through the tutorial. It bugged out at the loading screen and kept me in an endless loading screen. I close the game, log back in, and then fell down and died in the tutorial. This kept on happening everytime I tried to exit it.

Volimar

Yup.

I can't and won't say i will be playing this in 6 months but i really, really enjoyed my time in the few beta weekends and bought the CE.

I wanted to buy the CE but it was sold out by the time i had money. Imperial digital edition instead. Really liked the beta. My first character is probably going to be a high elf dragonknight magic user.

Going to bed early tonight to get up for the 7am start. I enjoyed the beta and hardly ever miss a major MMO launch. Rolling an Imperial tank so that I can lord over April 4th newbies on my white steed like an asshole.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I want this game only because I love the Elder Scrolls universe. The lore is fantastic. But is this game really as bad as people here say it is are is it the typical hyperbole?

ShinMaruku

I feel like the Elder Scrolls fans are more positive than the MMO fans.

That's kind of paradoxical in my mind but I am not a MMO person and I think MMOS are terrible games and think elder scrolls is terrible too.(But atleast Elderscrolls has more in it's systems than MMOs have) My tastes are my own so I say if somebody wants to try it they can. I just would advise against it because it's P2P with all the aspirations of f2p cash shops. (I don't want developers or publishers to make this a trend)

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I feel like the Elder Scrolls fans are more positive than the MMO fans.
Director Matt Frewer once said something how ESO hopefully attracts fans and non-fans and players new to the world. But I think you are right that it is the fans that will flock to it and tolerate whatever downfalls it may have in the end.

I can't believe there's an in-game cash shop as well as a $15/month subscription. Unbelievable. It's basically the Guild Wars 2 model except with a subscription tacked on.

docbon

Forgot this was close. I'll get it eventually. Not sure if a 650 can run it well.

Should be good to go with that and a relatively recent processor. The game didn't feel particularly resource intensive on my 6950 + 2500k. At most, you'll have turn down a few settings.

That's the first I've heard of a cash shop. I didn't notice anything in the beta when I tried it out ~2 months ago.

It wasn't in the beta. There will be a horse available to buy in the cash shop when it launches, tomorrow. From what I've read from beta, horses are very expensive to buy with in-game gold, so it makes sense they'd do that to encourage cash shop sales.

Pop

It wasn't in the beta. There will be a horse available to buy in the cash shop when it launches, tomorrow. From what I've read from beta, horses are very expensive to buy with in-game gold, so it makes sense they'd do that to encourage cash shop sales.

So like WoW? Why are you upset over something you DO NOT have to buy. It's just silly man.

So like WoW? Why are you upset over something you DO NOT have to buy. It's just silly man.

We were told ALL content would be available to everyone because of the subscription model. But here we are with an entire race behind a paywall and horse microtransactions. If I mean, what's the point of paying a monthly subscription if there's going to be a cash shop? It's outrageous.

Volimar

We were told ALL content would be available to everyone because of the subscription model. But here we are with an entire race behind a paywall and horse microtransactions. If I mean, what's the point of paying a monthly subscription if there's going to be a cash shop? It's outrageous.

Yeah that was bullshit. The imperial class wasn't even all that great anyway.

docbon

That's the first I've heard of a cash shop. I didn't notice anything in the beta when I tried it out ~2 months ago.

From ZAM:

What types of items or services can we expect to find in the Zenimax store?

The purpose of the store is to offer interested players a variety of additional services. At launch we’re going to have two items: the ability to upgrade to the Imperial Edition, and an entry level horse (Palomino colored). The horse you get in both purchases is functionally the same, but the Imperial Edition is the only way to ever get the White horse. We have the Palomino horse available to allow players to purchase a basic mount without purchasing the entire Imperial Edition.

They mentioned offering services like name changes and whatnot as well. It's honestly kind of shitty, and is pushing the limit as is.

If I ever see some shit like exclusive armor sets, I'm done.

I guess they've evolved -- why sell armor for the horse when they can sell the horse itself? I mean, did they seriously not think at all about what selling a horse would remind people of?

I'll be sitting this one out, I think, at least until F2P (in six months, tops).

Volimar

The cash shop doesn't bother me at all. I don't have any plans to patronize it, but so far I haven't seen anything that bothersome about it.

Curious_George

Neo Member

My bet is that they're already planning for a transition to B2P/F2P. I believe the Secret World did that most recently. Release with subscription and cash shop and then transition to B2P with cash shop focus later. Unless you're Blizzard and you can get away with a subscription model, I wouldn't count on anything else with a cash shop to continue with the subscription model for long (not once the first few months pass and many players start canceling their subs).

foxtrot3d

Banned
Bethesda published games always manage to cast famous actors for roles that really didn't need them. See Rogue Warrior and Dishonored.

Yup, and they almost always fail to deliver. I never understand the need to cast big name actors for voice acting roles, why wouldn't you go for the best voice actors? Do you really think Joe Schmo knows or cares that John Cleese is voicing a character, this isn't a movie you can't see him. Just listen to the "famous actors" who voice characters in Skyrim they are almost all terrible, whereas the tried and true voice actors are the ones that outshine them.

I think BioWare does it right they just find good voices, sometimes this may be a celebrity but if it is then they make sure it is perfect. Martin Sheen as The Illusive Man is GOAT tier for example, but the majority of the cast in their games are trained voice actors. Of the actors I see Bethesda has lined up only Malcom McDowell impresses me but that's because he has extensive experience as a voice actor, god damn he was great as Pres. John Henry Eden.

Andodalf

Banned
Yup, and they almost always fail to deliver. I never understand the need to cast big name actors for voice acting roles, why wouldn't you go for the best voice actors?

LIAM NEESON IS THE BEST DAD OF ALL TIME! while I realize his great performance is an exception, and famous people often do a poor job, you gotta mention the great successes!

Volimar

Yup, and they almost always fail to deliver. I never understand the need to cast big name actors for voice acting roles, why wouldn't you go for the best voice actors? Do you really think Joe Schmo knows or cares that John Cleese is voicing a character, this isn't a movie you can't see him. Just listen to the "famous actors" who voice characters in Skyrim they are almost all terrible, whereas the tried and true voice actors are the ones that outshine them.

I think BioWare does it right they just find good voices, sometimes this may be a celebrity but if it is then they make sure it is perfect. Martin Sheen as The Illusive Man is GOAT tier for example, but the majority of the cast in their games are trained voice actors. Of the actors I see Bethesda has lined up only Malcom McDowell impresses me but that's because he has extensive experience as a voice actor, god damn he was great as Pres. John Henry Eden.

Kate Beckinsale is great as the queen.

From ZAM:

They mentioned offering services like name changes and whatnot as well. It's honestly kind of shitty, and is pushing the limit as is.

If I ever see some shit like exclusive armor sets, I'm done.

Blizzard has done the first one since Cataclysm where at any point people can pay to upgrade to the special edition and get the extras that come with it. I don't see that causing any problems but the horse might.

liquidtmd

Banned
So I'm in the UK and have missed the massive promotional push for this game! Man how could I have been so blind...

PS4 - have they announced a retail price for the game and what it will cost monthly (before it goes F2P obviously)?

Top Bottom