• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT| of THE MOST HYPED GAME EVER

KePoW

Banned
Such a bummer. I may just friend anyone who's still active and wants to, then free up the guild spot for something else.

Yeah, looked back through patch notes and saw that. I'll check how much it costs, but it still feels expensive. Maybe I'm just a tightass with money, but if it's say 150 gold to repair 25%, then it's still almost as good to buy mats and craft it yourself, if for nothing else except some xp.

I dunno, I just hate that kind of mechanic, particularly when I can't learn to do it myself.

Quote for my ID and main name.

You remember, the guy who ran the all archers all the time dungeon with you. :)

Ohhh HAHA, that was awesome!!! That was one of the kraziest experiences I've had in any MMO, lol ! Everyone kept telling us we couldn't do it =)

For your other points:

-- You know you can be a member of 5 guilds at once?

-- Hehe dude, 150g is nothing! I don't really pay too close attention, but I would say to Repair a full suit that is all around 60%, it might be like 500g now? I don't consider that much at all.

Yaoibot

I'm giving it another shot. Got past Coldharbor and I'm just toodling around. I really wish that the game wasn't so damn ugly. Making it rather hard to push onwards. Reminds me of something Turbine wouls make.

KePoW

Banned
I'm giving it another shot. Got past Coldharbor and I'm just toodling around. I really wish that the game wasn't so damn ugly. Making it rather hard to push onwards. Reminds me of something Turbine wouls make.

I actually think the game has incredible graphics (I'm running near maxed out)... one of the best looking MMOs right now in my opinion.

However -- Each of the three factions has a distinctly different look. I do *not* like the EP lands at all, I think it's very ugly.

But AD and DC are pretty awesome looking themes/zones.

Yaoibot

I'm at Ultra and fully 60FPS/1080p. There are some pretty parts, sure. But those character models and animations are just bad. And the cloth textures? WoW. As in World of Warcraft; they're that boxy and bad. Most of the spell effects are quite bland, as well.

hepburn3d

I actually think the game has incredible graphics (I'm running near maxed out)... one of the best looking MMOs right now in my opinion.

However -- Each of the three factions has a distinctly different look. I do *not* like the EP lands at all, I think it's very ugly.

DC is by far the best. It's like they made that one first. EP is depressing to start with and slowly gets better.

Wife just hit VR1 but can't complete the game due to
defeating molag bawl bug
, surprised they've not fixed that yet. Hope they fix it soon, is a pretty huge game breaking bug if you planned on rolling 1 character.

Yeah EP is quite depressing until you reach
Skyrim

KePoW

Banned
Ah ok , I've only seen the first couple of EP zones which I definitely think looks ugly lol.

But my main is DC anyway, and first alt is AD, so it's cool hehe

The first areas of EP aren't "pretty", but it's the Ashlands. After countless hours playing Morrowind, I think they did a great job portraying the bleakness in those zones. It's not supposed to be pretty. And they pulled it off.

I'm just concentrating on one toon. So I've been all the way through the Dominion, 1 nice high elf area, 3 Nice heavily forested wood elf areas and a cool African Savannah like Cat zone and Now I'm up to the final Pact area, 2 bleak Dark elf zones, 1 bleak Lizard zone and 2 nice Nord zones.

Apart from one character in the Pact,
Naryu Virian
, the whole storyline has been forgettable. The Dominion on the other hand was great and hopefully Daggerfall is as well!

BizzyBum

I still play but wasn't on the last week due to not having access to my PC. Trying to juggle this, Ultra SF4, and MK8 though.

My in-game name is Remag Div. Still only level 35 truckin' along in the EP storyline. Currently in Eastmarch.

derpooch

Unconfirmed Member
I started in EP and found it a rather depressing looking area; though it has improved greatly since I have progressed (currently just starting out in Eastmarch). The graphics in the game seem fantastic by MMO standards (though admittedly I am not a big MMO player). I'm enjoying the combat somewhat but I have had a few issues mostly surrounding lag, and that some enemies seem to hit me regardless of whether I dodge or I am in their target area. For some reason in solo instances I seem to have far more lag than at other times.

The EU server, in EP at least feels very empty at times, though I do often play in the middle of the day. The number of bots I have seen seems to be decreasing through my travels which is a bonus.

I'm mostly enjoying the combat in the game, previous attempts to get into MMOs have failed because of this (mostly WoW, which from brief times spent with friends turned into typing in numbers whilst not looking at the screen). For the £18 I spent on the game I am thrilled with how much I have gotten out of it, even if I don't continue my sub.

My only regret so far is choosing the Nightblade, it feels like the only class worth playing is the Dragonknight (I started a new game as them, and damn, those AoE moves)

I feel rather cheeky asking to join the EU guild, as this is my first post on Neogaf (long time reader that mostly has an account to use search), but my username/my in game name is derpooch!

Just wanted to call out the game's awesome progressiveness in continuing the Elder Scrolls tradition of inclusiveness. There have been a few quests with LGBT characters, and I made sure to take screens on the last one I came across.

Just sharing it because I super appreciate it. It's a shame no one seems to mention or talk about it.

Ia9pwUh.png

OPqpuv8.png

GhnQx2L.png

hepburn3d

Just wanted to call out the game's awesome progressiveness in continuing the Elder Scrolls tradition of inclusiveness. There have been a few quests with LGBT characters, and I made sure to take screens on the last one I came across.

Just sharing it because I super appreciate it. It's a shame no one seems to mention or talk about it.

Yea massive respect to Zenimax for joining the 21st Century. It's great seeing things like this. It's nice to know that younger generations will grow up seeing things that make them feel included.

I feel rather cheeky asking to join the EU guild, as this is my first post on Neogaf (long time reader that mostly has an account to use search), but my username/my in game name is derpooch!

I've tried contacting the EU guild master but not heard back. Only 1/10 of people in the guild play any more. It's a shame that there's no time limit on a guild to allow someone else to take charge. It's a shame to cos my wife and I have hugely stocked up the guild bank. It's a crafters dream. I'll ping them another message and ask any that log on to.

user237

I'm still playing this game and having some fun, but I'm slowing down a little. When my main guy got to Veteran level I wasn't sure if I wanted to do the other zones or just save them for another character.

I sort of wish I'd subscribed for 30 days instead of the 90 day option.

Our entire guild dropped the game as soon as Wildstar came out. The questing was alright and more interesting than most MMOs, but the game just really felt like it wasn't a MMO. And the big highlighted PVP stuff, is just awful. I kinda want to go back to play through more quests and storyline, as it felt at times like an ES game, but overall the game just feels hollow, just can't afford to pay a monthly fee for this.

Zenimax Online Studios quietly let go of 300 staff.

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Connacht-Sentinel-June-10.jpg[IMG]

Here's the press coverage when they hired the staff: [url]http://www.siliconrepublic.com/careers/item/36173-job-anc-14[/url][/QUOTE]

This actually seems new thread worthy.

Our entire guild dropped the game as soon as Wildstar came out. The questing was alright and more interesting than most MMOs, but the game just really felt like it wasn't a MMO. And the big highlighted PVP stuff, is just awful. I kinda want to go back to play through more quests and storyline, as it felt at times like an ES game, but overall the game just feels hollow, just can't afford to pay a monthly fee for this.

Exactly the same. I enjoyed what I played, but there was no real hook to keep me playing. All this game did was make me want a COOP mode in the next Elder Scrolls Game.

gossi

This actually seems new thread worthy.

I don't have enough posts to start a new thread, but yes.

The game is £10 in Tesco in the UK, and my local GAME has teh boxed imperial edition (with the statue) for £30, discounted from £90. Zenimax are doing a very good PR job of covering up what has happened.

hepburn3d

I'm trying so hard to keep playing this game, but every night I play it gets a little less fun. I love the lore, I love the ESO universe and I love the leveling. I don't like bugs, single player missions, phased missions, broken missions, stupidly hard missions and basically playing a story that I'm trying hard to follow but can't find interesting.

I'm level 39 now, my wife has a V2 character. We paid up front for 6 months and I think if we hadn't done that we would have moved on by now. We'll keep playing but I'm already finding we're looking else where for another game to team up in.

I'm an extremely optimistic person but I'm gutted this game isn't working out. All we wanted was a co-op adventure game and I thought the ESO MMO PvE would be good for that.

We might go back to Secret World or Neverwinter (I don't enjoy F2P but my wife does).

I just feel gutted more that anything, I hope Zenimax turn things around then we'll come running back. I'm fed up playing a Beta now. That sounds cynical but if this isn't a Beta then it's not the game for us.

gossi

Aren't MMO companies firing a bunch of people after launch a pretty common thing? lol

With Zenimax, they hired people on 6 month contracts, then fired them a week after training them. They had sent out a press release just before launch saying they were hiring 300 people in Ireland, but most of them are gone now. If you look on the Zenimax jobs site they only have 6 positions available.

I actually like the game so it's a bit depressing. You can pop into PVP at peak time and almost all the campaigns are empty, and it's not even 3 months since launch. PVP is a bit depressing as the EU server is still in the US, it's laggy as shit during large sieges (I'm talking 10 seconds to sneak, block, fire etc), and the group tools crash me out sometimes ('Unknown error'). It's an MMO, things like playing together, grouping, fighting should work at some point in the game lifespan.

They shipped this game too early. The PC players are effectively the console beta testers.

BizzyBum

Unfortunately I had to cancel my sub today due to my lack of funds lately. I have 14 more days of playtime so I'll be playing until then. I'm still enjoying it, but I think one of the main reasons on why is I'm still only level 37 and haven't gone through that VR grind yet. I haven't even been to Cyrodiil yet.

So I've put about 50 hours into this game in just over 2 weeks. I think I have a problem. Needless to say, I'm really enjoying the game a lot. I know there are balance issues I've yet to face (playing Templar), but the core game is really fun (combat is much better than I expected) and hopefully by the time I get invested in VR content a lot of that stuff gets fixed. What's impressed me the most in this game is the world design as nothing in this game feels like it was put there as filler.

All the towns and locales have such interesting geometry and the game just begs you to explore everything. I'm also really enjoying the story lines (even the side quests). The characters are great and the voice talent is pretty incredible (though I swear every side quest character sounds like Troy Baker. I find myself getting to know all the characters very well and I'm really enjoying the way characters are revisited through the leveling zones.

The dungeons have been fun so far as well, but I hate that there is no "show target's target" option for agro monitoring. I know an add-on has been made, but apparently it's buggy now. Hopefully the developers invest some resources into further UI development, because it's pretty weak.

Overall, though, I can't wait to get home in order to play this game even more. I really hope it's successful and gets credit for the things it does well.

I wonder what this game is going to be like on the consoles. I am really curious if there will be a spike in players.

Well the console versions are on separate servers, so it shouldn't cause much of a PC server spike unless a huge update is scheduled for the same time. I think this is a big mistake because the console versions will likely have very small populations because of the decision.

hepburn3d

I've played 3 months worth now and decided to cancel my subscription (I have 3 months left but don't see myself playing that much longer). I thought I'd give a review of my pros & cons for core mechanics and temporary features. I've reached V1.

Core Mechanics PvE

Pros
Sky Shard hunting - Super fun, especially with the add on.

Dark Anchors - Brilliant, love playing these with other people turning up. In fact if the whole game was just this for main quests I would of loved it. The huge physical events make you feel tiny and make the game seem awesome.

Side Quests (Except main story and guilds) - Good fun, dialouge can be quite boring some times but in general they are good fun.

Environment - Amazing, the visuals are really really good, hopefully the draw distance will get a boost in future.

Sound - A* cant fault the music and effects on anything.

Cons
Main story and Guild quests - Awful. I've not enjoyed them at all as the game forces you to play them solo. This wouldn't be so bad if they were easy, except I can play them when I'm 10 levels above and get walked over still. This needs an overhaul before console release and hopefully it should get it.

End game - The end game gets harder and more quiet (no one around). By V1 you have all abilities you want, so the leveling mechanic become less fun. I just lose interest after that point.

Economy - The horses are priced very high. In my mind this is an obvious long term move for a free to play, in store shop in the future. Having a horse is extremely fun, all the time, so taking that away from the player until they can afford it around level 25, is just taking the fun out of it. To earn one quickly you can't spend money on bank upgrades and bag upgrades. You also have to sell everything you find rather than use it to level you crafting, taking the fun out of it. At the end of the day Zenimax can do what they want but it's poor decision for the gamers in my mind. I would have had horses in varying prices from 100 gold up to 50k with more performance for cost.

Re play ability - For me, there's no desire to go through the game again. Other than rolling a new character, I can predict exactly how everything will go and that takes the fun out of it for me.

Feature Mechanics (Update-able features)

Classes - In serious need of that update. Some classes are super weak, some have no ability to complete main quest. It's ruined the game for me a bit waiting for that update.

Dye Packs - Should have been part of main game as you can craft an amazing Armour set and end up looking like a brown blob. Again it's ruined it a bit for me waiting for this.

1st Person View - It's getting a FoV slider but it's just hard to play the game in 1st person. You regularly get attacked from behind because of spawns so it's just easier to play in 3rd person.

Conclusion

The game is great but I should have waited 6 months to pick it up so that all the little issues could be ironed out and all the extra features could have been put in. Lesson learned I guess.

This is not a game designed for easy, focused, cooperative play. In fact the main story won't even let you. For an MMO that makes no sense to me. In future I will do my research before buying a game, as I buy an MMO to play everything together. 50% of side quests result in one person completing the quest and the other having to re do it when everything spawns, appears or phases in.

All in all, it's an ok game. The problem is it tries to be everything resulting in it being average in most things. In my mind it is still in Beta and the early adopters have paid the price for it. Pick it up in another 6 months when, fingers crossed, it should be quite a good game, if the players don't abandon ship before then.

Score: 5/10

^^ My sub ends on the 25th, but I'm completely out of energy with the game and won't be renewing. I want to love it, there are some fantastic moments, but the grind just become wearing. I got to almost VR8, but the second almanac alliance is so empty and everyone has gone to Craiglorn, I just can't be bothered any more.

It sounds like the difficulty is what is turning off most people. Fortunately, it's one of my favorite things about the game so far (like my four years in Age of Conan). As a Templar (currently considering underpowered) I've completed all the Guild/Main Story quests at level, so it's certainly possible. Maybe it's harder with Nightblade and certain weapon types, but skills are so easy to come by that it's not that hard to just swap weapons and skills in certain fights. I'm sure I'll feel the grind once I hit VR1, though (currently 39).

TheYanger

How is this game doing compared to how The Old Republic did after as many months when it comes to active subs?

No way to know without numbers being released - megaserver tech prevents us from even anecdotally saying 'seems dead' since the game could have like 500 concurrent players and it would still seem pretty bustly in most areas. But...that said, anecdotally from the internet? deader than dead.

lazygecko

After the patch with the FoV slider was added I thought first person would become a lot more enjoyable for me. But there's still a bunch of nitpicks I have with it. The first one is the weapons being zoomed in so close to the screen. When I alter the FoV in other games, including TES games, the weapon/arm models are usually affected as well zooming out more towards the center of the screen which I prefer. I was under the impression that they had actually been working on the first person models to implement this without getting the issue of floating arms?

Second nitpick is the all too large crosshair, but this could thankfully be adressed by UI mods so that's not a problem anymore.

Last one of the matter of the camera heigth, which just feels way too low. I almost feel like playing a midget when I'm really playing an orc with the character heigth set to max. I really wish they'd do something about this as well.

I unsubscribed. The emails that followed were the most feedback I've got from the dev team.

This thread is nearly dead. I'm afraid I might necro this crap.

I did enjoy ESO. I just didn't play enough to justify another $15 bill. I might play when it's F2P. But I doubt it.

RIP ESO GAF. in pieces.

Welp. Is anyone still playing regularly? Would it make sense to transfer control of the NA guild to someone who is still active? I can't remember who started/runs it, but every time I've been on it's been just me.

Welp. Is anyone still playing regularly? Would it make sense to transfer control of the NA guild to someone who is still active? I can't remember who started/runs it, but every time I've been on it's been just me.

I think docbon ran it, but he had to leave for reasons. No one with GAF is ever on. Maybe you can take over. Good luck friend.

I'm still on a subscription but I don't play very often. Just joined a great social guild recently with active and friendly people which I think that will go a long way in motivating you to play.

Zenimax just posted some new info on upcoming changes and what to expect during QuakeCon next week:

http://tamrielfoundry.com/2014/07/zos-july-development-update/

Yeah, I let my sub lapse after 50, but it looks like the VR grind should go a lot faster now and get me to real end-game content. Already thinking of resubing now.

Sooooo excited for that dye system. I just wish I had an active social guild for getting a sick tabberd. If anyone still active is in a guild that's not hardcore about constant participation lemme know. GAF is the only non-trading guild I'm in right now.

lazygecko

PTS patch notes are up: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/118546/pts-patch-notes-v1-3-0#latest

The weapon swap delay has been particularly annoying and I'm real glad they're doing something about it. Being able to emote in combat is also a welcome addition. Campaigns are also being overhauled, consolidated into fewer campaigns and much shorter campaign durations, as well as veteran and non-veteran specific campaigns.

Seems like set bonuses have been overhauled across the board as well. The first tiers of bonuses give you various stat enhancements now. Reminds me of classic WoW sets
http://i.imgur.com/BWxp4bq.png

NPCs that drink from bottles will now have the bottle line up with their mouth. They will no longer have a drinking problem.
airplane-drinking-problem.gif

Also of note, since dyes are tied to achievements: any dye unlocked will unlock on all characters across the account. I was worried they'd be silly enough to make you unlock them per character.

PTS patch notes are up: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/118546/pts-patch-notes-v1-3-0#latest

The weapon swap delay has been particularly annoying and I'm real glad they're doing something about it. Being able to emote in combat is also a welcome addition. Campaigns are also being overhauled, consolidated into fewer campaigns and much shorter campaign durations, as well as veteran and non-veteran specific campaigns.

Seems like set bonuses have been overhauled across the board as well. The first tiers of bonuses give you various stat enhancements now. Reminds me of classic WoW sets
http://i.imgur.com/BWxp4bq.png

Crit reduction for magicka and increase for stam users should help bring things in line too. I know people want to hate on this game, but they seem to be making changes very quickly. The new post processing routine for colors looks nice too. Along with the recent lighting changes, I think the game is looking pretty great now. I'm planning on subbing again soon, now.

Top Bottom