The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Ninja

Member
Dec 5, 2009
19,040
1
0
Belgium
twitter.com
zmoney said:
Just realized I didn't finish my sentence lol. I meant were there any items like that in Oblivion?
Yeah, but they were leveled. I'll take my favorite example, the sword Duskfang/Dawnfang from the Shivering Isles. If you received it on level 5 the sword would be significantly weaker than if you'd received it on level 35, and not just because your blade skill would be higher then. The base stats of the sword and the enchantment upon it would be stronger if you'd receive it on a higher level.
 

Khezu

Member
Jul 29, 2009
9,108
0
0
I hated the deadric cresent, looked cool, but the fact it had normal sword animations bugged the hell out of me.

So far the only unique weapon I have heard about is red eagle brand, which starts a quest when you find it, and you can upgrade it by fighting some kinda boss in a random dungeon.

Also there better be some unique gloves that boost hand to hand, I want to punch people to death.
 

iNvid02

Member
Aug 16, 2009
18,270
9
910
so how big is skyrim? how big are we talking here

im planning on starting it around december when i have free time, what could i do in a month if i played daily for a few hours.
 

zethren

Banned
Mar 24, 2009
5,822
0
0
iNvidious01 said:
so how big is skyrim? how big are we talking here

im planning on starting it around december when i have free time, what could i do in a month if i played daily for a few hours.
I think I remember hearing that Skyrim has 16 miles of land that you can traverse. I'll try to find the article I read that in.
 

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Oct 8, 2006
19,067
0
0
iNvidious01 said:
im planning on starting it around december when i have free time, what could i do in a month if i played daily for a few hours.
You do know its not out yet, right?
 

NBtoaster

Member
Aug 3, 2010
8,655
0
600
Blue Ninja said:
Yeah, but they were leveled. I'll take my favorite example, the sword Duskfang/Dawnfang from the Shivering Isles. If you received it on level 5 the sword would be significantly weaker than if you'd received it on level 35, and not just because your blade skill would be higher then. The base stats of the sword and the enchantment upon it would be stronger if you'd receive it on a higher level.
Well there were some unlevelled that you could find, buy or be rewarded with early on:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Unique_Items
 

bengraven

Member
Nov 28, 2005
40,972
0
0
40
You know something that annoyed me, regardless of whether it was Morrowind or the later Beth games was how display items were always such a low level.

I would have liked if every shop had an item or 3 in display cases with high level locks or some sort of trap on them that you could only get at later levels...or if you were truly able to get into the shop in the middle of the night, get past the guard, AND were able to get the item out of the display case, then yeah, you deserve that.

Plus, sucks walking into a nice Imperial shop full of iron and leather gear. Show me some shinies.
 

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Oct 10, 2005
40,635
1
0
33
www.flickr.com
bengraven said:
You know something that annoyed me, regardless of whether it was Morrowind or the later Beth games was how display items were always such a low level.

I would have liked if every shop had an item or 3 in display cases with high level locks or some sort of trap on them that you could only get at later levels...or if you were truly able to get into the shop in the middle of the night, get past the guard, AND were able to get the item out of the display case, then yeah, you deserve that.

Plus, sucks walking into a nice Imperial shop full of iron and leather gear. Show me some shinies.
They could really make it so thieving was worth it and I wouldn't mind it if they made it really hard to go about the better stuff. Picking a Very Hard lock just to get some worthless is ridiculous. Fortunately it sounds like uniques and hand placed items are more common.
 

HadesGigas

Member
Apr 13, 2005
8,097
0
0
Fallout 3 and NV has shops worth stealing stuff from, hopefully Skyrim does too.

I remember in Fallout 3 I cleared out Rivet City's Market and in New Vegas I stole everything the Van Graffs had out.

Is there any info on how exactly thievery works in Skyrim? Is stuff still magically marked as "stolen" for no logical reason like in Oblivion?
 

Piercedveil

Member
Jul 4, 2011
4,146
0
0
AC town: Whiterun
HadesGigas said:
Is there any info on how exactly thievery works in Skyrim? Is stuff still magically marked as "stolen" for no logical reason like in Oblivion?
I just realized, I really hate that. I don't think it should be marked as stolen, where you can only sell it to certain people. It's not like whoever is buying it from you would know it's stolen..
 
Sep 14, 2006
29,133
1
0
England
the-final-sin.blogspot.com
HadesGigas said:
Is there any info on how exactly thievery works in Skyrim? Is stuff still magically marked as "stolen" for no logical reason like in Oblivion?
Yeah, it seems that way, as if you're arrested all your stolen items are confiscated.

One cool thing though, I stole some stuff from a persons house while they were in another room and
a few hours later 3 'Hired Thugs' attacked me, I killed them (barely) and found a contract from the NPC hiring them to beat me up or kill me if necessary.

Few more random screenshots;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0088.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0090.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0092.jpg
 

HadesGigas

Member
Apr 13, 2005
8,097
0
0
Hm, yeah. Looks like it's the same as in Oblivion. Lame. Though there's a perk that lets you get around it:

Stolen items in your inventory will be marked with a red hand, even if you were able to steal the item without being detected. As long as this tag is present, the item is considered stolen. Any stolen items in your possession will be confiscated and retained by the guards if you are arrested. Furthermore, merchants will not buy stolen items, unless you have unlocked the Fence perk (90 speech required).
 

Mastperf

Member
Oct 28, 2007
2,078
0
0
40
The fact that he found an Elven bow to steal at the start of the game at least shows it doesn't scale like Oblivion did.

Einbroch said:
It's just bizarre. Not a complaint at all, but it spins at the most random times. I'll just be walking along then WHURRRRRRR. I'll zone into a new dungeon...silence.
That might be related to the new dvd format. They might do random security checks instead of 1 at the start now. I didn't notice it while playing Batman AC, but there weren't a lot of quiet moments in that game compared to Skyrim.
 
Dec 15, 2008
9,811
0
780
California
Just caught up on 10 pages of the thread father being busy all day. So jealous of peeps like Boootaaaaay who've managed to get a copy early. I really hope that Monday through Thursday flies by at work.
 

Wallach

Member
Jun 26, 2008
29,845
1
0
HadesGigas said:
Hm, yeah. Looks like it's the same as in Oblivion. Lame. Though there's a perk that lets you get around it:
To be honest I'm sort of okay with how that sounds. Especially if you can steal your stuff back if it does get confiscated.
 

Majik

Member
Nov 15, 2006
2,062
3
870
HadesGigas said:
Hm, yeah. Looks like it's the same as in Oblivion. Lame. Though there's a perk that lets you get around it:
There's no red hand next to stolen items in my inventory.
 

Derrick01

Banned
May 9, 2011
34,663
0
0
Eh it's a minor inconvenience anyway. All you gotta do is find one of the thieve's guild fences and you're good.
 

kevm3

Member
Jun 12, 2004
7,956
264
1,375
I'm reminded of the original Conan soundtrack when listening to one of these Skyrim songs. Can't wait to get this.
 

zethren

Banned
Mar 24, 2009
5,822
0
0
Wallach said:
Hm. Maybe you do have to get seen in the act?
Would make more sense than having all stolen items magically listed as stolen. Like someone said above, stealing something from one guy and then having a merchant in a town on the other side of Skyrim recognize it as stolen is rather silly.
 

Majik

Member
Nov 15, 2006
2,062
3
870
HadesGigas said:
Cool. Well can you sell them to anyone you want then?
Actually, while there's no red hand, in the item description box it does say 'stolen' in the top right hand corner.

I haven't had trouble selling anything on though.
 

zethren

Banned
Mar 24, 2009
5,822
0
0
Majik said:
Actually, while there's no red hand, in the item description box it does say 'stolen' in the top right hand corner.

I haven't had trouble selling anything on though.
Skyrim's merchants are shady as fuck confirmed?
 

Majik

Member
Nov 15, 2006
2,062
3
870
Actually, while there's no red hand next to stolen items... they are listed as stolen in your inventory...



Haven't had any trouble selling stuff on though.
 

FuzzyNorman

Member
Jun 9, 2009
2,235
0
0
Any new gameplay clips of just exploring? As long as it's not a story related video I feel like I'm not ruining anything.
 

Wallach

Member
Jun 26, 2008
29,845
1
0
So maybe then the red hand is stuff you got caught stealing (caught red handed eh), and requires the Fence perk to sell on?
 

Mastperf

Member
Oct 28, 2007
2,078
0
0
40
So you've been able to sell stolen items to anyone?

Wallach said:
So maybe then the red hand is stuff you got caught stealing, and requires the Fence perk to sell on?
That would be pretty cool. Makes you try to be a better thief.
 

Majik

Member
Nov 15, 2006
2,062
3
870
Right... so I went and stole an item, making sure I was seen. It was marked as stolen in my inventory... but still no red hand. Then I went to the store to try and sell it, and it doesn't show up in my list of items that I can sell.
 

Wallach

Member
Jun 26, 2008
29,845
1
0
Majik said:
Right... so I went and stole an item, making sure I was seen. It was marked as stolen in my inventory... but still no red hand. Then I went to the store to try and sell it, and it doesn't show up in my list of items that I can sell.
Does anything else that is marked stolen show up in that list?
 

Majik

Member
Nov 15, 2006
2,062
3
870
Wallach said:
Does anything else that is marked stolen show up in that list?
No, but that might be because the stuff I have was stolen in that town? I'll have to see if I can sell them elsewhere.
 

Mortrialus

Banned
Nov 26, 2010
3,557
0
0
Hey, I hate to be that guy, but can anyone sauce me a good Skyrim video showing off the melee combat? Preferably Sword and Shield stuff. I haven't been following up on the game, and I have no idea how they're handling it this time around.
 

Dead Man

Member
Aug 24, 2007
54,266
0
0
I hope they don't have psychic merchants that can tell what is stolen. Not to mention the disconnect between murdering someone and taking their stuff (which would seem to be fine) and stealing.

Wallach said:
Well, there's a perk in Speech that allows you to sell stolen items to any merchants that you invest into (investing being another Speech perk). You can probably only sell stolen items to proper fences.
Oh. :(
 

Wallach

Member
Jun 26, 2008
29,845
1
0
Majik said:
No, but that might be because the stuff I have was stolen in that town? I'll have to see if I can sell them elsewhere.
Well, there's a perk in Speech that allows you to sell stolen items to any merchants that you invest into (investing being another Speech perk). You can probably only sell stolen items to proper fences.
 

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Oct 8, 2006
19,067
0
0
Loxley said:
For poops and giggles I just went and re-watched GameTrailer's Oblivion review...man, if you want a stark reminder how far Bethesda have come between Oblivion and Skyrim, just watch that.
Oblivions release was perhaps the first time that i fully realized that the entirety of games journalism was either paid off by the publishers or so lacking in experience, knowledge, and skill, that their opinions are generally to be completely disregarded.
 

Fjordson

Member
Jul 5, 2010
34,917
1
605
California
HadesGigas said:
Fallout 3 and NV has shops worth stealing stuff from, hopefully Skyrim does too.

I remember in Fallout 3 I cleared out Rivet City's Market and in New Vegas I stole everything the Van Graffs had out.
Definitely true. One of my most trusted Fallout weapons is "That Gun" in New Vegas. Managed to jack it from the gift shop in Novac.
 

FHIZ

Member
Aug 23, 2007
3,797
0
0
Loxley said:
For poops and giggles I just went and re-watched GameTrailer's Oblivion review...man, if you want a stark reminder how far Bethesda have come between Oblivion and Skyrim, just watch that.
I've been watching Oblivion videos of late to get the nostalgia in me stirred up, and yeah I agree... I remember the game so fondly, but now looking back at it I'm just thinking "man, this looks like crap."
 

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jun 28, 2009
44,620
0
820
water_wendi said:
Oblivions release was perhaps the first time that i fully realized that the entirety of games journalism was either paid off by the publishers or so lacking in experience, knowledge, and skill, that their opinions are generally to be completely disregarded.
So what are you guys talking about?

Oblivion's not worthy of a 90+ MetaCritic score?
 

Dead Man

Member
Aug 24, 2007
54,266
0
0
FHIZ said:
I've been watching Oblivion videos of late to get the nostalgia in me stirred up, and yeah I agree... I remember the game so fondly, but now looking back at it I'm just thinking "man, this looks like crap."
It was released 5 years ago... There are not really any open world games that looked better that year that I can think of.
 

zethren

Banned
Mar 24, 2009
5,822
0
0
After watching some dragon battles, I love the fact that you can actually hear the dragons speak the dragon words for their fire breathing attacks. A really great touch, especially considering the amount of emphasis this game is putting on the dragon language.
 

Simo

Member
Jun 10, 2004
6,902
0
0
37
Milan, MI
CrankyKong said:
This, please.
The premium map is the best pre-order bonus I've ever seen
Not sure if anything new developed on this but it was confirmed via all the unboxing videos that the premium map isn't really a preorder bonus as all first run copies of the game come with it.
 
Dec 15, 2008
9,811
0
780
California
CrankyKong said:
This, please.
The premium map is the best pre-order bonus I've ever seen
I've got bad feeling that we're all going to be disappointed. I think the "premium" map is that shitty folded map in the game case we've see in every unboxing.

If not, why hasn't Beth showed it yet?
 

Simo

Member
Jun 10, 2004
6,902
0
0
37
Milan, MI
Bootaaay said:
You mean the cloth map? I didn't preorder, got it off some random guy on ebay, so all I've got is the standard paper map that comes in the case.
I think that map IS the "cloth map". It looks and feels like old, textured paper right?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.