• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

I wonder if I should finish the mage guild quests at level 12.

e: the stagger effect from Impact is pretty amazing. Basically stunlock.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Man, imagine if they just cut your head off in the beginning of the game. A whole lot more people would be alive right now.

Imagine if someone made a mod where that did happen and you had to carry your head around for the whole game, ye olde ghost style. Bonus points if you can kick your head at an enemy.

Killed a giant yesterday, and I felt like a fucking boss doing it.
Two poisoned arrows from my Elven Frost bow to the head and a Fire Breath shout... He flew like 20 feet, lol. So satisfying.

Loving the game btw, maybe a little too much. Feels like there aren't enough hours in a day :(

Izuna

Banned
Mindman said:
What?? I don't understand why some people do this..

Some? I thought it was very common, everyone I've played MonHan with takes this approach too.

--

I think I'm near the end of the main quest now
I can't believe the Greybeards master is a Dragon!
. The story is so good, and it's such a beautiful game at times. I really don't want to play anything else.

bengraven

I need more and better shouts.

I have the main one. Then I also have one that summons an animal to help you and one that marks the enemy and increases damage I suppose? That's it.

I don't ever use them except against dragon breath.

picklecannon said:
Yep I had an attack in riften.

This would be awesome, but hard...the streets are so narrow and the buildings hang over the boardwalks. It would basically be a lot of archery, though the dragon falling onto buildings and breathing fire down would be SO epic.

izunadono said:
Some? I thought it was very common, everyone I've played MonHan with takes this approach too.

--

I think I'm near the end of the main quest now FIX YOUR FUCKING SPOILER. The story is so good, and it's such a beautiful game at times. I really don't want to play anything else.

OH GOD DAMN IT! Fix your fucking spoiler!

Fuck, just spoiled the mq, which I always leave for the end.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
nib95 said:
Guys please help me decide between Nord and Imperial. I like to be a bit of an all rounder with swordplay, bows and magic. Love herding items, earning money but also carrying a lot and exploring everywhere. Including mountains, lands etc. Anyone have a deeper understanding of the differences between these two races?
The only real difference is their powers since the stat boosts at the start mean very little very quickly. Imperials get increased gold from containers (not sure how increased) and Nord gets 50% Cold resistance. I think Nord wins that one, especially fighting frost dragons. Ice mages also give you enough problems with the way they slow you down. Then for their abilities, each are once-a-day. The Imperial calms an enemy, and the Nord makes them run away for 30 seconds. Again, I think Nord wins on that, even though I have never used it.

Edit: Good thing I don't care about spoilers. Holy fuck.

Izuna

Banned
omg omg omg omg omg "MAIN QUEST SPOILERS"
I might be going back in time!

Okay I'll stop now and just enjoy it by myself...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Gah, I ran into another Frost Dragon that's giving me just as much trouble as the one I posted a video of me fighting. I won't lie, it's frustrating me to no end, but I'm enjoying the crazy difficulty these things provide. It's a nice change of pace from the standard exploration based "bosses" that go down quick.

scy

xelios said:
Yeah that's a shame but with the 100 enchanting perk and while I was using an alchemy potion I could put -28% cost and +70% regen on one item.

Then I said, what the hell do I need regen for? And proceeded to make two schools of magic cost 0% instead. Haven't ever needed regen during battle again.

I went Destruction + Conjuration, though I may swap it up for -100% Destruction, -58% Conjuration, -58% Restoration and just be all regen be damned. Though, once I get better spells (and Lydia better geared), I probably won't actually heal anymore so may not even need to bother with that tree at all anyway.

And, like you note, Potions anyway.

Level 18 and just now starting to use a follower. I've got Lydia decked out in full (exquisite) Dwarven armor and weapons.

It is pretty much a game changer. An easy button, if you will.

Just had my choice for the Imperial side reaffirmed. I was exploring near Ivarstead when
I found a small path leading up to the mountains. There, tucked away, was a large shrine of Talos... With a sword an Imperial had stuck in the ground before it in tribute. Once we've quelled the rebellion, we're kicking those Thalmor right back to Summerset Isle.

Izuna

Banned
Chavelo said:
Awww, man... Did I just got spoiled without warning in this thread?

:-(

I'm am so sorry, I don't even know why I even made a post about it anyway. There was no need for it.

--

I ran into a bug though. A bunch of people were helping me defeat a dragon and it just won't die. It's just hovering in the air with 0 HP.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So let me get this straight: If you made Alteration and Restoration cost 0, you could cast a Conjuration, then just spam shield and quickheal spells and hold up a ward as necessary while watching your creature destroy everything?

The Lamonster said:
It is pretty much a game changer. An easy button, if you will.
Or a hard button for simple shit like going back through a door when she blocks your way like a dumbass.

Blue Ninja said:
Just had my choice for the Imperial side reaffirmed. I was exploring near Ivarstead when
I found a small path leading up to the mountains. There, tucked away, was a large shrine of Talos... With a sword an Imperial had stuck in the ground before it in tribute. Once we've quelled the rebellion, we're kicking those Thalmor right back to Summerset Isle.
I understand Daedra worship has become increasingly prevalent in Summerset Isle.

I lost Lydia somewhere and i can't find her anymore :( Oh well that "I am sworn to carry your burdens" war really driving me mad.
Aela here i come! A question about her -COMPANIONS QUESTLINE SPOILERS-
does she transform while she's your follower?

Blue Ninja said:

Does the choice you make at the start (who to follow) affect anything in the game? Mine seems to be all about Stormcloaks, I accidentally followed the wrong guy because I didn't have subtitles on and didn't have a clue what was happening.

Also, I bought a war dog and sent him home just in case he got hurt, but he went back to the place I bought him from. Can I get him back for free or did I just hire him?

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Dice said:
So let me get this straight: If you made Alteration and Restoration cost 0, you could cast a Conjuration, then just spam shield and quickheal spells and hold up a ward as necessary while watching your creature destroy everything?

Pretty much. Any combination of two schools costing 0 then using the other(s) with the mana you have is gonna be overpowered. Hell, even just the two.

Dresden said:
I wonder if I should finish the mage guild quests at level 12.

e: the stagger effect from Impact is pretty amazing. Basically stunlock.

Am I just doing it wrong? What spells are you using to Stagger? I have Impact, Dual Casting, 25% fire and been using Fireball and some others but I have yet to see Impact, enemies still rush right up to me using any combination of Destruction Magic I have.

xelios

I've been using Lightning Bolt or Chain Lightning and it does the stagger with impact every time (must be dual cast).

Dresden

flyinpiranha said:
Am I just doing it wrong? What spells are you using to Stagger? I have Impact, Dual Casting, 25% fire and been using Fireball and some others but I have yet to see Impact, enemies still rush right up to me using any combination of Destruction Magic I have.
I still use firebolts and lightning spells for what it's worth. Dunno if fireballs work since I don't have the magicka to use it often, but I don't see why not.

xelios said:
Then I said, what the hell do I need regen for? And proceeded to make two schools of magic cost 0% instead. Haven't ever needed regen during battle again.

Yeah, I have 2 items that each regen magicka at 100% faster rate but its still quite shitty.

Can you explain a little further please. I've just started getting into enchanting and I'm currently at lvl23 and I only have the lvl2 40% stronger enchantments perk and with a grand soul gem the max to fortify destruction is 11%.

Do I just have to continue leveling up enchanting and enchant multiple items before seeing the zero cost to destruction?

scy

Dice said:

Pretty much. Except I don't think the Conjurations hold their own all that well eventually.

But, a lot of what you can do with the tradeskills when maxed out are ridiculous.

Want 1k Armor? Why, sure, maxed Smithing!
Want to deal 6000 damage in a single shot? Why, sure, maxed Alchemy!
Want to cast spells for free? Why, sure, maxed Enchanting!

And then combining all three lets you tack on an extra ~30% to each (and then far, far more to Smithing >>).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Fought a gargantuan boss fight, and Faendal died near the end of the battle. I would usually reload when he dies, but I don't want to do that boss again.

Sorry Faendal. You house keys will serve a higher power...me.

Oh well, you were kind of useless outside of fighting dragons anyway. Lydia, you're up!

xelios

ii Stryker said:
Yeah, I have 2 items that each regen magicka at 100% faster rate but its still quite shitty.

Can you explain a little further please. I've just started getting into enchanting and I'm currently at lvl23 and I only have the lvl2 40% stronger enchantments perk and with a grand soul gem the max to fortify destruction is 11%.

Do I just have to continue leveling up enchanting and enchant multiple items before seeing the zero cost to destruction?

Yes. By leveling up enchanting and I also used a fortify enchanting potion I made with alchemy (while wearing gear I had enchanted with fortify alchemy).

Dresden said:
I still use firebolts and lightning spells for what it's worth. Dunno if fireballs work since I don't have the magicka to use it often, but I don't see why not.
xelios said:
I've been using Lightning Bolt or Chain Lightning and it does the stagger with impact every time (must be dual cast).

I wonder if it's just lighting. And I'm playing on the 360 so I assume dual casting means just hitting both triggers at the same time correct? If you start one and then the other it won't count?

I've read and seen that "Impact" is one of the best perks for magic users but it hasn't helped me at all.

Seth C

Sinatar said:
Is there some secret stats on dragon armor to make it good?

Cause the heavy armor at least is worse then Daedric despite needing more skill to craft.
No, but the material to make the dragon armor is much, much easier to find.

scy

ii Stryker said:

Off-hand, 100 Enchanting means your Fortify School Enchant is -23% to the cost so you need 5 slots of it. If you use a Fortify Enchanting potion, you can push this to 26% so you only need four slots to reach free casting instead of five; if you haven't been raising your skill, don't worry as you can probably just find the potion on a vendor with enough looking around for it, though you'll need to rush to get all the Enchanting done in the duration.

By the way, don't use the Fortify School & Magicka Regen (i.e., the Enchant you get from the caster robes) as you get far less of a casting cost reduction and a trivial amount of Regen.

The 100 Enchanting perk lets you put two different Enchants on an item at once so you can do this for two schools at once.

Izuna

Banned
izunadono said:
I ran into a bug though. A bunch of people were helping me defeat a dragon and it just won't die. It's just hovering in the air with 0 HP.

Yeah it was a game-breaking bug, thankfully I had an auto-save from not too far back. I also didn't know that some dragons were stronger than others. When I across a normal one it was so weak.

I love luring them to fight Giants, helps a lot 'cause I don't think I can take one down on my own.

Philthy

Not sure why everyone is down on the original dragon breath. It stuns pretty much everything. If I run into a boss or a few elites, I stun as many as I can and just demolish them as they stand there kneeling.

Izuna

Banned
Philthy said:
Not sure why everyone is down on the original dragon breath. It stuns pretty much everything. If I run into a boss or a few elites, I stun as many as I can and just demolish them as they stand there kneeling.

Oh it gets much better.

I have 3-4 shouts now but only the first dragon soul. No quests are taking me near them and I'm not finding them on my own.

One thing I really don't like that I think all the games have done is doing a really bad job or pacing a quest chain or letting you know when you are about to hit something you can't do.

I started the battleborn-greymane quest in whiterun. I did the first few parts fine then it asks me to go out to a stronghold to get somebody... I get there and there's no way I could do it now or any time soon. Can't sneak in and too many guys that are strong. I don't think I just want a quest rating like in Borderlands or Deadisland but I need to know it's 5 times harder than what I just did so I know to get some more gear and leves before I try it.

Dresden

flyinpiranha said:
I wonder if it's just lighting. And I'm playing on the 360 so I assume dual casting means just hitting both triggers at the same time correct? If you start one and then the other it won't count?

I've read and seen that "Impact" is one of the best perks for magic users but it hasn't helped me at all.
Gotta make sure your character is bringing both his hands together for it to be dual casting. Firebolts work, I use it all the time.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Are Whiterun soldiers Imperial? I'm hostile with the Imperials and now I can't return to Whiterun anymore because guards attack me on sight. Are Solitude soldiers Imperial faction too? I still have the quest offer to take the oath in Solitude and Falk Firebeard is still giving me quests.

I killed a convoy of Imperial soldiers between Whiterun and saved a Stormcloak prisoner. Then I went back to Fort Greymoore? and noticed that it was freshly stocked with Imperial soldiers now and no longer bandits. They drop silver arrows so I decided to stock up, I use em on lower level mob, so I killed every soldier in the fort and then some priest? travelers who were pretty difficult at expert difficulty. Then this Farland mage who was even more difficult was traveling on this same path and began blasting me with fireballs and lightning, I made quick work of him as I ran away>sneak shotted him to death.

Before this I was trying to complete the quest given in Whiterun by one of the clans to save a brother from the Thalmors? When I got there I got quest failed so I began killing off the Northwatch Keep soldiers because they were aggressive. I guess it's because I had killed some of the Thalmor Justicars convoys that were transporting prisoners? One of them was talking shit to me when I was like level 5 and I told myself i'd kill them all when I got stronger.

So far the toughest mobs i've fought are the boss mage during the DawnBreaker quest line and the Stiggon Matron mother? I used a 15 sec paralyze poison on her and she still got up and whopped my ass before I killed her.

Izuna

Banned
BobTheFork said:
I have 3-4 shouts now but only the first dragon soul. No quests are taking me near them and I'm not finding them on my own.

If you're not fast-travelling you should come across dragons pretty frequently. I have 9 Dragon Souls I haven't used, but that may be more to do with the fact that I only have the Shouts the MQ has given me.

BobTheFork said:
I started the battleborn-greymane quest in whiterun. I did the first few parts fine then it asks me to go out to a stronghold to get somebody... I get there and there's no way I could do it now or any time soon. Can't sneak in and too many guys that are strong. I don't think I just want a quest rating like in Borderlands or Deadisland but I need to know it's 5 times harder than what I just did so I know to get some more gear and leves before I try it.

I 100% agree. There have been many times where I have ran away from enemies/out of dungeons 'cause I couldn't do them yet. Feels rewarding when I go back with my new abilities though.

q_q

It really irks me that tere are no dragon weapons. I really want a nice dragon bone bow. Theyre probably saving it for a ten dollar dlc. Oh well, Ill still buy that shit.

ninjarrr

Neo Member
I love this game, but I really wish they'd overhaul their loot system, I find it so boring and simple. I feel like, while this game has a wonderful engine and some great quest and dungeon design, they didn't really put a lot of effort into "innovating" their gameplay mechanics or main systems.

Obviously that wasn't their goal, and modders can heavily change that, but it has definitely left me wanting a little more... Anyone else feel this way?

Blizzard

Banned
Did previous Elder Scrolls games have much DLC? If so, and they were heavily moddable games, did Bethesda have any issue with people essentially making their own DLC, or creating DLC similar to the paid DLC/expansion(s)?

Regarding magic, someone I know was talking about destruction magic being weak/underpowered on master difficulty. Is there any way to make it effective and not also run out of mana? Are the stagger perk and magicka regen/reduction items key to doing this, since as far as I know you can't boost damage in any way? Or is going a pure destruction mage not viable?

ninjarrr said:
I love this game, but I really wish they'd overhaul their loot system, I find it so boring and simple. I feel like, while this game has a wonderful engine and some great quest and dungeon design, they didn't really put a lot of effort into "innovating" their gameplay mechanics or main systems.

Obviously that wasn't their goal, and modders can heavily change that, but it has definitely left me wanting a little more... Anyone else feel this way?
Yeah, some (several?) people have complained about the loot. I get the impression that Elder Scrolls games have never had as much named or nice loot as Diablo games, but I haven't been bothered much so far. It could probably be improved.

bengraven

Pretty awesome that this is the first Beth game I haven't had any need of an NPC replacer with.

Blizzard said:
Did previous Elder Scrolls games have much DLC? If so, and they were heavily moddable games, did Bethesda have any issue with people essentially making their own DLC, or creating DLC similar to the paid DLC/expansion(s)?

Regarding magic, someone I know was talking about destruction magic being weak/underpowered on master difficulty. Is there any way to make it effective and not also run out of mana? Are the stagger perk and magicka regen/reduction items key to doing this, since as far as I know you can't boost damage in any way?

Morrowind had some free DLC, but it was basically a new set of heavy armor, a fletcher, and a quest line.

Oblivon had a ton of DLC including an expansion and mini expansion, but other than the two expansions, everything else was basically houses with the exception being a quest to find Mehrunes Razor, a DLC that added new spells, and fucking Horse armor.

They're going more Fallout with this one. Maybe 4 or 5 of their "mini-expansion" DLCs.

HTuran

Still going strong, powering through the main quest now.
Searching for an Elder Scroll.

Question time!

1) How much better is Dragonscale than Glass? About to play with the Enchanting/Smithing bonuses for a full set of Legendary Glass armour.

2) I can't seem to wear more than one ring. Intentional?

3) What/where are the other words of the Sprint shout? Just found 'Detect Life', which is invaluable for a thief/archer. Are the extra words for that just large range?

Also made it to the top of the Throat of the World, surrounded by the Borealis. Just freaking stunning. Also, an
enchanted pickaxe
that doesn't seem to do anything. Anyone?

Izuna

Banned
ninjarrr said:

What's wrong with the loot system? It seems heavily improved to me. No more opening everything because it has the chance to carry a ring of reflecting damage or something.

I can sort of expect what I am to find on an enemy before I open up the loot page. If he has a magic weapon, I can see it, and the stats are the same if the weapon looks the same. It's much immersive in my opinion.

Dresden said:
Gotta make sure your character is bringing both his hands together for it to be dual casting. Firebolts work, I use it all the time.

That must be it then, I might not be pulling the triggers at the same time. Can you do that with different spells? Shock in one hand, Fire in the other? Or do they have to be the same spell?

Izuna

Banned
HTuran said:
Still going strong, powering through the main quest now.
Searching for an Elder Scroll.

Question time!

1) How much better is Dragonscale than Glass? About to play with the Enchanting/Smithing bonuses for a full set of Legendary Glass armour.

2) I can't seem to wear more than one ring. Intentional?

3) What/where are the other words of the Sprint shout? Just found 'Detect Life', which is invaluable for a thief/archer. Are the extra words for that just large range?

Also made it to the top of the Throat of the World, surrounded by the Borealis. Just freaking stunning. Also, an
enchanted pickaxe
that doesn't seem to do anything. Anyone?

I think this is intentional. I can't do this either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom