• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Blizzard said:
Regarding magic, someone I know was talking about destruction magic being weak/underpowered on master difficulty. Is there any way to make it effective and not also run out of mana? Are the stagger perk and magicka regen/reduction items key to doing this, since as far as I know you can't boost damage in any way? Or is going a pure destruction mage not viable?

Free spells are awesome. When maxing everything out, Magic does come dead last in the race due to the way it functions but it's not useless on the way up there. That and the super weapons/armor are mostly overkill anyway.

flyinpiranha said:
That must be it then, I might not be pulling the triggers at the same time. Can you do that with different spells? Shock in one hand, Fire in the other? Or do they have to be the same spell?

Needs to be the same spell. Dual casting has a unique casting animation so it's pretty obvious when you get it right.

Blizzard

Banned
bengraven said:
Pretty awesome that this is the first Beth game I haven't had any need of an NPC replacer with.

Morrowind had some free DLC, but it was basically a new set of heavy armor, a fletcher, and a quest line.

Oblivon had a ton of DLC including an expansion and mini expansion, but other than the two expansions, everything else was basically houses with the exception being a quest to find Mehrunes Razor, a DLC that added new spells, and fucking Horse armor.

They're going more Fallout with this one. Maybe 4 or 5 of their "mini-expansion" DLCs.
But like, take Oblivion. Bethesda sells their famous horse armor. What if a modder made horse armor? Did Bethesda not care?

ok im having problem with the 360 version. the favorites menu and the item menu seem to lock up. i can't pick anything. any ideas? it's not the controller, and it only seems to happen with Skyrim.

Izuna

Banned
Ugh, I'm about to walk to Winterhold all the way from the peak of the big mountain. If I come across too many Dragons I'll have to return to deposit their bones.

... Bad place to put my stuff in when I'm not playing with Quick-Travel.

ninjarrr

Neo Member
izunadono said:
What's wrong with the loot system? It seems heavily improved to me. No more opening everything because it has the chance to carry a ring of reflecting damage or something.

I can sort of expect what I am to find on an enemy before I open up the loot page. If he has a magic weapon, I can see it, and the stats are the same if the weapon looks the same. It's much immersive in my opinion.

The range of items, and item contribution, is very small, as compared to say, Diablo. I suppose this goes hand in hand with character development. For the most part, items and perks all increase your effectiveness by "+% to X", which is a much harder to perceive affect than say, "10% chance to cast Fire Inferno when struck", or various types of new attacks. There also seems to be a very small list of bonuses for any individual character class, so there is no real diversity in what you go for. For example, all mages look for -mana cost, there is no alternative choice like +damage, +cast rate, +cast distance, -reduce magic armor, etc. At least, not that I've seen.

It also extends beyond that in that items just don't get that much better by the end of the game, and I continue to find myself getting really excited to find a new, really awesome item, but have yet to see anything really show up.

gdt

Ok, killed my second dragon (exploring the area around Ivarstead before going in) and I got no power for it :(.

Then I found a power wall that he was gaurding, got the power, but I can't activate it until I get a another dragon soul.

Am I missing something?

RyanDG

Well fuck.

I've kept one save and then the autosaves in Skyrim over the course of the last day or so because of the lagging issue I'm getting on the PS3 version. Last night I deleted my autosave and just kept my primary save before I went to bed. I'm coming in this morning and I'm trying to load off my primary save and it just won't load. It hangs on the loading screen for a few minutes (that I've allowed it to) and then hard freezes. I've tried playing other games with older saves, and they are working just fine. I've tried going into a new game and starting it up and saving and loading that save and they will also work just fine. It's just something about my actual lvl 38 save file that is broken. Gah!

I've had to leave for work, but I'm hoping when I get home it's going to work... :(

brentech

I have like 30-35 hours on my first character. Running him as a 2h great-sword wielding strong man, with occasional use of the bow. I also made an early decision to try to do good with him. I have 0 murders. My only bounty was forced through a quest. And my 3 thefts were also the only way I could figure out to resolve my quest. Even if I stole the goods right in front of the owners (journals).
Complete 180 as to how I would normally play this game.

So I had the desire to start a 2nd character, which I just did. I don't know when I'll get around to playing it more, but maybe I'll use it when I'm tempted to go on a theft or killing spree. Will use the new dainty little girl to work with the DB and Thieves Guild. Plan to only use daggers and a bow.

I can't think of any other game like this that's had me so excited to spend a shit load of hours on it and feel the need to keep my character true to the way I started it.
This far into oblivion, I already ditched the game because I was annoyed with so much of it.

scy

gdt5016 said:
Ok, killed my second dragon (exploring the area around Ivarstead before going in) and I got no power for it :(.

Then I found a power wall that he was gaurding, got the power, but I can't activate it until I get a another dragon soul.

Am I missing something?

Killing Dragons gets you a Dragon soul. Finding walls grants you a new Word of Power. When you get both, go into the Shout menu and then use the accumulated Dragon Soul to unlock the Word of Power for use.

The game really should've demonstrated that with the first word rather than just "absorbed Soul, here's an unlocked Word too!"

gdt

scy said:
Killing Dragons gets you a Dragon soul. Finding walls grants you a new Word of Power. When you get both, go into the Shout menu and then use the accumulated Dragon Soul to unlock the Word of Power for use.

The game really should've demonstrated that with the first word rather than just "absorbed Soul, here's an unlocked Word too!"

Ahh, gotcha. So I can save my dragon soul for another power word? The one I have locked doesn't sound all that great. Something about armor degradation.

Izuna

Banned
ninjarrr said:
The range of items, and item contribution, is very small, as compared to say, Diablo. I suppose this goes hand in hand with character development. For the most part, items and perks all increase your effectiveness by "+% to X", which is a much harder to perceive affect than say, "10% chance to cast Fire Inferno when struck".

It also extends beyond that in that items just don't get that much better by the end of the game, and I continue to find myself getting really excited to find a new, really awesome item, but have yet to see anything really show up.

Ah I see what you mean, but this isn't a case of having a better looting system, they want to take a different route.

Having interesting loot drop frequently or, different stats for similar items is fun to play around with, but it's a different focus.

In Skyrim an Iron Sword will be the same as another one (with the exception of enchantments, which are pretty rare). This gives a better sense of immersion into the world itself to make it feel more realistic. When you do come across a better weapon, it's either because of it's design or material. If you take out a bandit camp you'd expect them all to have similar technology and materials that they use for warfare.

In terms of "+% to X" though, I would prefer to take a step backwards and them to say "minor increase" or something. There aren't damage numbers in this game so I don't appreciate there being a visible number system. I'd rather it all be behind the scenes.

Volimar

scy said:

Yeah, if you're going to get rid of the manuals, at least make sure the tutorials include everything. We have people in this thread that didn't know you could favorite weapons or even sprint...

Blizzard

Banned
scy said:
Free spells are awesome. When maxing everything out, Magic does come dead last in the race due to the way it functions but it's not useless on the way up there. That and the super weapons/armor are mostly overkill anyway.
Thanks for the answer...so does this mean that a pure destruction mage is pretty much impossible to use in the current game, or at least the very weakest option?

Izuna

Banned
Volimar said:
Yeah, if you're going to get rid of the manuals, at least make sure the tutorials include everything. We have people in this thread that didn't know you could favorite weapons or even sprint...

I didn't know that holding (Left) on the D-Pad assign an item/ability either until about 20 hours in.

ninjarrr

Neo Member
izunadono said:
Having interesting loot drop frequently or, different stats for similar items is fun to play around with, but it's a different focus.

Yeah, their focus is more on realism, which is intended to transform into immersion, but I think they are fooling themselves in this way.

It's another instance of, "Yeah, well dragons aren't real, so maybe they shouldn't be in the game either!". Sometimes, a better gameplay mechanic needs to be chosen instead of realism because it provides the game with... well, better gameplay!

This is definitely a subjective, personal thing. I know a lot of people like the current item system, but I don't, and I wish it was a little deeper. It's not to much that I want items to drop more frequently, there is plenty, it's that I want more diversity in itemization so I can differentiate myself. Differentiate myself from who, you might ask? Other iterations of myself! Earlier versions, different versions with different focuses. I want to be able to look back at my time spent in Skyrim and see a large variability in how my character performed, so I can feel as if I have advanced.

Blizzard said:
Yeah, some (several?) people have complained about the loot. I get the impression that Elder Scrolls games have never had as much named or nice loot as Diablo games, but I haven't been bothered much so far. It could probably be improved.
The biggest problem with it is that gear created by smithing and enchanting is lightyears ahead of anything you find in the world. If enchanting was a more complex system with cooler enchants then this might be OK, but as it stands, you just grind your way up in both tradeskills in order to unlock the best toys. They never take the unique effects on unique items far enough to make them really interesting. They are always really small, negligible things.

scy

gdt5016 said:
Ahh, gotcha. So I can save my dragon soul for another power word? The one I have locked doesn't sound all that great. Something about armor degradation.

Souls are basically just the currency used to unlock words; they're not attached to any word in particular. Just sit on it if you'd rather not use the Soul. That said, thar be dragons everywhere so it may not matter if you waited or not.

Volimar said:

First thing I did when the game let me move was hit the quintessential sprint key. It made me walk. "Oh fuck that!" and controls options to fix everything. That's basically the first thing I do in games anyway: Customize controls!

Blizzard said:
Thanks for the answer...so does this mean that a pure destruction mage is pretty much impossible to use in the current game, or at least the very weakest option?

Weakest option when you factor in 100 Smithing/Enchanting/Alchemy. Do note that from Skill Level 0 to 100, Destruction is always doing full damage while the weapons have reduced damage until they max out. Magic is just generally more useful throughout the game until the cap where all of a sudden weapons can get absurd upgrades and all spells can really do is become free. Which is still nice, sure, but not quite as nice.

Izuna

Banned
There's a big mountain in my way. I thought I was close but I have to go around it. They even made the Map a 3D pop-up and I still made a mistake.

ninjarrr

Neo Member
krameriffic said:
The biggest problem with it is that gear created by smithing and enchanting is lightyears ahead of anything you find in the world. If enchanting was a more complex system with cooler enchants then this might be OK, but as it stands, you just grind your way up in both tradeskills in order to unlock the best toys. They never take the unique effects on unique items far enough to make them really interesting. They are always really small, negligible things.

Totally agree. Though I don't have a problem with crafting producing great items, I think this issue stems from level scaling, as they can't design level-range-regions which necessarily will drop a certain item. Additionally, those items aren't designed to scale based on when you found them, they have set characteristics that have to be "okay" no matter when you get them, never great or weak -- just "okay".

Raxus

Getting enchanting up sure is lucrative. I have 45k gold right now and I am inching towards level 50.

Boots + petty soul gem + muffled is a fantastic enchantment.

coopolon

scy said:
Also, Levels 51-81 take a bit more to level.

What does this mean?

I keep hearing this, I think it's originally from Todd Howard, but no one ever explains it.

After 50 it takes more than 10 skill levels to level up? After 50 skills level up slower?

Sorry if this has been covered in the 6 pages between the quoted message and my reply, it's impossible to stay up with this thread.

ninjarrr

Neo Member
scy said:
Weakest option when you factor in 100 Smithing/Enchanting/Alchemy. Do note that from Skill Level 0 to 100, Destruction is always doing full damage while the weapons have reduced damage until they max out. Magic is just generally more useful throughout the game until the cap where all of a sudden weapons can get absurd upgrades and all spells can really do is become free. Which is still nice, sure, but not quite as nice.

This seems like a really silly oversight and makes me want to reroll completley... sigh

ced

At this point, the loot scaling and magic / shop availability based on level and skill level is my only big gripe with the game.

I'm not asking for a loot game, but it would be nice after killing some tough special guy or going through a dungeon for an hour to get something unique and powerful, no matter what my level. The scaling sucks and serves no purpose, just put level or skill requirements on spell tomes and equipment, don't just make them not exist until a certain level or skill. At least then I could feel like my exploration or accomplishment was rewarded with something I could use at a later time.

gdt5016 said:

Am I missing something?

Did the dragon turn into a skeleton?

scy

coopolon said:
What does this mean?

I keep hearing this, I think it's originally from Todd Howard, but no one ever explains it.

After 50 it takes more than 10 skill levels to level up? After 50 skills level up slower?

Sorry if this has been covered in the 6 pages between the quoted message and my reply, it's impossible to stay up with this thread.

Well, 1-50 is a rather smooth curve on the amount of skill gains needed per level gained. 51-81 isn't as smooth, though I don't know if the formula actually changes or if it's just due to them taking a lot of skill gains in the first place. The mid 40s, for instance, take quite awhile; I think I grinded 50-100 Alchemy out for a level and a half.

ninjarr said:
This seems like a really silly oversight and makes me want to reroll completley... sigh

Eh, it's not like Magic is useless. It's just not massively overkilling everything. I find it more fun than my Archer or meleeing, really.

Though, yeah, there is a serious oversight on some spell-related enchants. Why not have damage increase or resist piercing? Seems kind of silly.

Chairhome

Dumb question: In Whiterun, who is the "steward" I need to talk to to upgrade my house? I thought it was the blacksmith's father, who I bought the house from, but I don't see any options to upgrade my house when I speak to him.

erragal

ninjarrr said:

Personally I find the fact that master level spells are extremely situational and often inferior to previous spells even more frustrating. There's also no explanation for why a huge chunk of magic perks can be made obsolete by something else in the game (no need for reduced cost perks at end game, no need for 3 points improved alteration armor spells because the master level alteration spell just gives you armor cap reduction, dual cast doesn't benefit master level spells so if you do want to use those your perks aren't relevant).

The design is also strange. Not only do weapon perks actually buff damage in various ways they ALSO have enchants thet boost damage. Even without completely exploiting the system, even a bit of effort comes up with far superior results for melee/ranged combat. Really the only advantage to magic is crowd control; which can be free in heavy armor with no penalties anyhow.

I was actually enjoying the game till the I got some master spells and everything just unravelled and made me wish I'd never touched the magic system at all. At least the stealth/melee/archery system has some progression to it.

ckohler

Chairhome said:
Dumb question: In Whiterun, who is the "steward" I need to talk to to upgrade my house? I thought it was the blacksmith's father, who I bought the house from, but I don't see any options to upgrade my house when I speak to him.
It's the Jarl's assistant. The bald-headed dude you bought your house from.

I feel like we should make a list of things people might not know about, for example if you sleep in a bed at an inn or a house you own, skills level up 10% faster for 8 hours.

Also, in reference to the convo about magic, I find it frustrating that as a destro/conjurer the more powerful destro spells are area attacks that destroy my atronachs and companions.

I've had 2 companions die and I'm pretty sure I killed them with chain lightning.

newsguy said:
How come people can shout and blast guys far? My shouts are weak as hell. Is there a way to strengthen them?

Go see the Greybeards at High Hrothgar on top of the 7000 steps. It's one of the first quests you get when you receive your first shout. They will upgrade this shout and teach you another one.

Blizzard

Banned
erragal said:
Personally I find the fact that master level spells are extremely situational and often inferior to previous spells even more frustrating. There's also no explanation for why a huge chunk of magic perks can be made obsolete by something else in the game (no need for reduced cost perks at end game, no need for 3 points improved alteration armor spells because the master level alteration spell just gives you armor cap reduction, dual cast doesn't benefit master level spells so if you do want to use those your perks aren't relevant).

The design is also strange. Not only do weapon perks actually buff damage in various ways they ALSO have enchants thet boost damage. Even without completely exploiting the system, even a bit of effort comes up with far superior results for melee/ranged combat. Really the only advantage to magic is crowd control; which can be free in heavy armor with no penalties anyhow.

I was actually enjoying the game till the I got some master spells and everything just unravelled and made me wish I'd never touched the magic system at all. At least the stealth/melee/archery system has some progression to it.
Welp, time to cancel my preorder. :( Sounds like pure mages are pretty worthless.

I mean, I didn't preorder so I can't cancel, and I'm not going pure mage, but it does sound like the magic system is pretty horrible and terrible and worthless and horrible by the end of the game. Does anyone else have any magic feedback for late game with master spells and super perks?

webrunner

gdt5016 said:

Am I missing something?

Did your second dragon give you a soul?
If so, go to your magic->shouts page, find your word, then you have to press a button (x on xbox) to 'spend' your souls.

TheContact

When killing the dragon at the
college of Winterhold, before becoming the Arch-Mage, is that dragon supposed to give you a soul? Because I brought his life to 0% and he just flew away, landed on top of the college, and died. I went up to look for corpse after after killing Arcano(sp?) but nothing was there.

Blizzard said:
Welp, time to cancel my preorder. :( Sounds like pure mages are pretty worthless.

I mean, I didn't preorder so I can't cancel, and I'm not going pure mage, but it does sound like the magic system is pretty horrible and terrible and worthless and horrible by the end of the game. Does anyone else have any magic feedback for late game with master spells and super perks?

Magic is awesome. I am at level 31 and I'm still having a great time. I agree it might be more difficult then melee/stealth/archery, but that doesn't make it less fun. In fact, I like that it is harder.

ced

carfo said:
When killing the dragon at the
college of Winterhold, before becoming the Arch-Mage, is that dragon supposed to give you a soul? Because I brought his life to 0% and he just flew away, landed on top of the college, and died. I went up to look for corpse after after killing Arcano(sp?) but nothing was there.

Sounds like you got Beth'd.

Blizzard

Banned
CrocMother said:
Magic is awesome. I am at level 31 and I'm still having a great time. I agree it might be more difficult then melee/stealth/archery, but that doesn't make it less fun. In fact, I like that it is harder.
But once you get master level spells and destruction 100, will it still be fun then? D:

(I won't be able to play any more until tomorrow, grr)

voltron said:
Cool. The reason I thought I didnt have to buy one is because my current horse isnt stolen. And he turned up whenever I fast travelled so I thought he was cool.

Anyway. Guess Ill save the coin and buy a horse (Im still pretty early and cant afford to buy a horse yet).

And just as aside WTF is with those trolls!!? NOTHING I was doing was taking the slightest bit of health off the fucker. He made great archery training as I stood on the cliff above laying arrow after arrow into him. But damn.... melee, ranged and magic all did fuck all.

Lucky I could outrun the thing and he was scared of water =)
I put an ice troll down in about 10 arrows last night @LVL 18. But my archery setup is pretty broken at the moment lol.

So I'm playing a stealth/assassin character and just before the Blood's Honor questline
when you are told about the Lycanthropy cure, the old man, Kroglak (sp?) complained about me sneaking around and stealth killing people and about that not being the Companion way.

Does he say this to everyone or is the game just this awesome?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom